Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Error: No PSM device found!

Discussion in 'PSM' started by Nekotika, Apr 9, 2014.

1. PeterD

PeterD

We will find the issue.....I just wish those pesky spiders would stop cobwebbing me as I stare motionless at my PC trying to determine what can be causing your evil installs....
    You've tried everything that you reasonably can so can you check the unobvious stuff. What is the make and model of the laptop?

2. MrDude

MrDude

Thanks man. I'll take you up on that offer after I have installed a VM again. As it is, I have upgraded to Yosemite already and no VM software runs on it yet. If you are gonna help me get this up and running I would much rather make use of your time setting it up on one of my VMs rather than on the laptop!

A vey serious "HA HA", though! Making a fellow Mac lover scream in frustration as he wades through the piles of Window crap on my end and getting nowhere, it's the single biggest crime against Mac users I have ever or will ever commit... :D

Sorry it has to be you... Just make sure to rub you belly before you log in! :D

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  3. MrDude

MrDude

@PeterD
    The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite Pro A120

It's a rather old model laptop but capable of running Unity and Windows 7 without a hitch so let's hope that has nothing to do with it.

4. jesusluvsyooh

jesusluvsyooh

Ouch X_X

And here i was thinking 8GB ram is now outdated haha.
    Im still on Mountain Lion, 10.8.5, as the Parallels desktop VM version i'm using doesn't support anything higher, and i'd have to buy the update, along with many others if i did update. So I'm trying to hold off on it for a bit.
    If you have a virtual machine and windows installed and working, give me a buzz on Facebook

5. MrDude

MrDude

LOL @ ouch! ;) I know, I know... :p

At least I can say one thing, though, when I got it it was so super bloody slow it just wasn't funny. Hell, man, I install Unity in a minute or two on my Mac but on this thing it took nearly 90 minutes to install. Since I wiped it and did a clean install, everything now bloody flies , man... :D

None of that antivirus nonsense or any old drivers from demo games or whatever else. Flies. I actually need to go check if this has extra RAM installed or not cause I could have sworn someone told me Win7 (or was that 8) needs 2 or 4 Gb of RAM just to run the OS itself. No idea how this system can be this fast with only that puny spec of RAM... But having said that, back when I tried out the Win8 developer demo the first time, I ran it in a V with only 256Mb RAM. Stuttered a bit but it ran. Only realised the ram setting as I went to delete the VM's HDD. I was well surprised when I saw that cause I have seen how RAM hungry OSX is...

Wait... has anything I just typed bore any resemblance to the topic at hand or Unity in general? Yeah, that's what I thought.... time to end this post ;)

6. PeterD

PeterD

7. MrDude

MrDude

Can't hurt. Thanks for the link

8. MrDude

MrDude

For those of you who were following this, I can say that jesusluvsyou's luck rubbed off....

I started from my clean install Windows 8 32Bit, as before
    I installed it into the latest version of Parallels VM (running in Yosemite)

First I disabled the (what was that called again?) User Account Management (?) and then downloaded all windows updates apart from the security stuff. Then I downloaded the latest versions of all the software they provided and installed as normal...

As per usual, everything installed just fine. Then I plugged in the vita and Windows tried to install the drivers for this "New hardware device". jesus said he had never seen this before BUT(!!!) this time round the Device Manager listed no driver conflicts so we were good to go...

I plugged in the Vita and nearly jumped through the roof when it appeared in the PSMUtility!!! I was sooo super excited ... until I noticed the words "Driver error" in the box right next to the device!

jesus was jokingly saying "Shall we continue and see if it fixes itself" and I was busy saying "This is Windows. Stuff doesn't 'just work' on Windows" and as I was saying that the word "Driver error" changed to "OK"...

From there he guided me through the rest of the process and with build attempt 1 I had something on the Vita! OMG! I wish I could cut off his belly and paste in on my wall where I can rub it every day!!!

So, was the problem with the version of the kit I used or with the windows drivers being outdated? Or perhaps that UserAccountManagement thing? Who knows!? But the end result is that it works so I am not going to ask any questions (or install any updated versions of the kit :p ).

I'm just gonna sit back and enjoy the smile on my face! :)

I have said this many times already but once more is okay: "Thanks a bunch for your assistance, mate!" :D

9. jesusluvsyooh

jesusluvsyooh

I blame windows UAC, but theres no certain way to know what the problem you were having before was caused by, either way its done and fixed now ;) happy to have helped.