Search Unity

error during Xcode compilation - please help urgent

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by xandeck, Jul 23, 2010.

1. xandeck

xandeck

Hello,

I'm having a problem during compilation of an iPhone project (specifically iPad), it returns me this error:

GDB: Data Formatters temporarily unavailable, will re-try after a 'continue'. (Unknown error loading shared library "/Developer/usr/lib/libXcodeDebuggerSupport.dylib")

I noticed that this only occurs when I'm using lots of Texture2D inside a class (creating them). Some of the textures does not have that Power of 2 dimensions. I do not use all of it at same time in the window, just creating them before Start, Awake, etc, cause this error.

Anyone had this before? If I just make the textures power of 2 will work?

2. nvarcha

nvarcha

This might be caused by trying to use some iOS 4 feature in a non-iOS4 device (such as an iPad or an iPhone not upgraded to iOS4).

Make sure you're not using anything from iOS 4 to iPad, since it does not support it.

3. Dreamora

Dreamora

just ensure that the deployment target is set to anything lower than 4

4. xandeck

xandeck

Thanks for the help guys.

Actually, we managed to work this out yesterday.

But we are not really sure what really the problem was.
    When we declared public more than 30 Texture2Ds this problem happened. And the Textures was not Power of 2 (and so it was returning these kind of warning messages).

Making the textures in the right way (Power of 2) helped to solve and I instantiated every object with specific Textures2D to use, and after I used, I destroyed. Everytime I need, I instantiate.

I think it was using all the iPad memory and then breaking it out... do you know how can I check the memory use?

Anyway, thanks again

5. nvarcha

nvarcha

If it was a memory problem, it should be during runtime and you should be getting memory warnings which you can see in the debugger console of Xcode.

I don't think you'll have memory problems during compiling (unless, of course, Unity is running out of memory while compiling which you can check with the Activity Monitor). I don't think this is the case, since most likely Unity will crash if it runs out of memory.

6. xandeck

xandeck

That's what I thought.
    But when I did what I said, it worked, the problem solved.

I made a search and found nothing related...

7. mchawla

mchawla

Hi xandeck,

I'm facing the same error when i try to build and run my unity game in xcode on the ipad. It builds fine and gives the unity loading screen but then crashes giving this error:

GDB: Data Formatters temporarily unavailable, will re-try after a 'continue'. (Unknown error loading shared library "/Developer/usr/lib/libXcodeDebuggerSupport.dylib")

I believe it is the same error that you got and i'm trying to fix it with the technique u suggested by making all the textures power of 2. But it still won't work.

Can you help me out here by mentioning what exactly you did to solve this error. The number of textures that i'm using in the scene is somewhere around 10-15. Is there anything else other than the textures that i need to worry about?

8. xandeck

xandeck

Hey mchawla,

I splited the gameObjects I had in scene into prefabs, so I instantiate whatever I need and then destroy when I need (and I cleaned the variable too). But I'm not sure if this is the right method.

I think, in my case, only the change of that Power of 2 solved... and I removed the MipMaps too... I dont remember if I changed the textured format or if I left with default, but try it too.

Actually, I had more textures than you, not at same time in the screen, but inside the gameobject ready to be used. But my textures were almost all tiny ones.

9. mchawla

mchawla

I splited the gameObjects I had in scene into prefabs, so I instantiate whatever I need and then destroy when I need (and I cleaned the variable too). But I'm not sure if this is the right method.

I have it setup as prefabs too and i instantiate the prefabs as and when required. Specifically i have a couple of objects that have a bunch of textures to animate just like spritesheet animation but using like 24 sprites instead of one single sprite.

I think, in my case, only the change of that Power of 2 solved... and I removed the MipMaps too... I dont remember if I changed the textured format or if I left with default, but try it too.

I changed all the images to power of 2 but that didnt work either. I'll try and mess around with the formats.

Actually, I had more textures than you, not at same time in the screen, but inside the gameobject ready to be used. But my textures were almost all tiny ones.

Yeah the textures that i'm using are pretty big i guess. Do you think its anything other than the textures that causes the crash?

10. xandeck

xandeck

I'm not sure... but maybe its because of your big textures... how big is it (resolution) of your textures?

I think iPad only works with 1024x1024, so if you are using too much bigger resolution and many textures, maybe this could be the problem, but someone with better experience can explain better this to us.

11. mchawla

mchawla

Yes the textures are all 1024x1024 or smaller and all are power of 2 now. I think for me its the networking thats crashing the game. I'm using .Net sockets to send images over the network and maybe ipad does not support .net sockets because it works fine in the unity editor. May be i'll have to look into some other way of networking.

12. xandeck

xandeck

Hmmm... yeah, I'm not sure what is going on with your project then.

Open another topic and explain your problem, maybe you can get a faster answer

13. mchawla

mchawla

I'll look into it. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

14. Logistic-Win

Logistic-Win

I was having the same error when trying to run a game on the 3G that otherwise worked great on the iPhone4 and iPad. I was stumped until I read this post and then made sure all my textures were power of 2... AND IT FIXED IT! Now my 3G loads and runs the app as well as the other devices. It must have been running out of memory!

For anybody having a similar errors like Program returned "0"... blah blah... will try again after continue... your most likely running out of memory... make sure your graphics are a power of 2!