Search Unity

Epic Toon FX

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Archanor, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Archanor

Archanor

Epic Toon FX is a VFX asset featuring over 1 000 cartoony particle effects. The asset has been designed to be easy to use and modify. Originally created for PC and Console in mind, but can also work for mobile. Works for 2D & 3D games.

Standard and URP Support

Check out the WebGL Demo for the latest effects, or see the GIF galleries for some examples.

- v1.7 GIF Gallery
    - v1.8 GIF Gallery

Common Problems

2D URP demo scene looks strange when spawning particles

Invisible Particles (URP)

URP Pink Materials
    Invisible Particles (Standard)
    Unable to download latest version
    If you have other unlisted issues, please see my official support page!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
  2. Archanor

Archanor

Epic Toon FX is now available with an introductory price of $15!

3. jGate99

jGate99

@Archanor can i use it with New Unity UI?
    Please note that my Canvas RenderMode is set to Screen Overlay (and i cant change that due to UI requirements)

4. Archanor

Archanor

I don't think that should be a problem, but I'm not a hundred percent sure what the consequences of the rendermode has for particles. If any default particle system works for you, the ones in this pack should work as well.

There are no special scripts required for the majority of the effects to function in any project. Only a few scripts use a simple rotation script and a light fade script. All effects are made with shuriken.

Feel free to send me an e-mail to my publisher mail if you have any more questions. If you decide to purchase and try it out, get back to me asap if you have any trouble!

5. swifer07

swifer07

hi, is this optimize for mobile? and is Toon FX included in Epic Toon FX?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  6. Archanor

Archanor

They aren't especially optimized for mobile, but most of them are lightweight and should work fine for mobile.

Some steps you can take to optimize them yourself is to change the material types to mobile versions, and remove the animated light from the effects that use those.

Toon FX is not included in Epic Toon FX, but they are a little bit similar. Epic Toon FX has a lot more effects and will increase a bit in price later.

I might make an upgrade version available at some point, so that Toon FX is included in Epic Toon FX.

7. Archanor

Archanor

Just updated the asset store graphics and added a new screenshot!

etfx.jpg

Last edited: May 9, 2017
    NotaNaN and Bhanshee00 like this.
  8. Giu007

Giu007

Hi There, due the big number of effects are there any way to have a kind of effect preview box screen?!! before to drag it in the scene!! Now I spend a lot of time surfing among the nice FX and take me ages to run all the list. Especially when you use the kunai to adjust them you doing your tweak completely blind....

Thank you in advance for your time

9. Archanor

Archanor

@Giu007 Thank you for buying.

Personally when I work on particle effects I use the drag and drop method, but you can also use my demo scene to click through them and write down the name of the effects you want to use. You can find the demo on the asset store page, as well as in the project folder (etfx_maindemo).

If you're scaling a lot of particle effects with Kunai, I believe you can scale the entire folder.

Edit: After taking a look at the demo, I realize most of the scenes are labeled with numbers and don't provide any description of which effects they are unless you open up the scene in the demo.

Last edited: May 13, 2016
  10. Giu007

Giu007

Cheers for the early reply, yes I can do what you say, but when you work on entire project you`d like to speed up some step :) thank you the same for the clue

Archanor likes this.
  11. yogergames

yogergames

Hi,

I'm interested in epic toon fx, but I only make 2D games. How does epic toon fx work in 2D?

12. Archanor

Archanor

Hey, good question. They are set up for 3D initially, but should function fine for 2D. A problem you may have is that you'd have to change the Collision Mode from 3D to 2D for each particle system you want to use.

If you decide to purchase and have any trouble, send me an e-mail :)

13. yogergames

yogergames

I did run into troubles, sent an email yesterday.

14. Archanor

Archanor

I've just submitted a new patch which just about finalizes the visual improvements. Demo is already updated with the newest effects!

In addition to the visuals, there's been added new 2D variants of some existing effects which looks better for sidescroller games, and which collides with 2D environments.

WebGL Demo

v1.2 (Unity 5.3.4 and up)
    - Additional visual improvements
    - New 2D variants of existing effects
    - New Sword Slash FX
    - New scripts to avoid collision with other assets
    - Remade shield effect
    - Easier to scale effects

Edit: Patch is now live! :)

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  15. Suduckgames

Suduckgames

Is this pack compatible with unity 2017 or unity 5.6?

16. Archanor

Archanor

@Suduckgames It's compatible from 5.3.4 and up, but there's always the possibility of bugs in higher versions as there's been many updates to the particle systems over the last versions.

The plan is to give this asset another content update before I start "upgrading" the project to higher Unity versions.

For now I can only recommend you to try it out and let me know if there's any big problems.

17. Archanor

Archanor

v1.3 (5.3.4 and up) is now available on the Asset Store!

- Added 2 new flamethrower FX (8 prefabs)
    - Added 6 new explosion FX (25 prefabs)
    - Added 11 new missile FX (45 prefabs)
    - Added 11 new muzzleflash FX (45 prefabs)
    - Added 26 sound FX for missiles & explosions
    - Improved misc effects

Check out the new WebGL demo!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
    Bhanshee00 likes this.
  18. jammyt

jammyt

Hi,

I've just bought the asset. Loving it so far, some brilliant FX, certainly adding a high quality level of polish to my prototype I'm currently making.

One problem I've noticed so far though, certain particles, for example ExplosionRoundFire, fire around 60 errors everytime they are called: "Sub-emitters must be children of the system that spawns them"

Are you able to update these particles to fix those errors?

Keep up the great work, the particles are awesome, I just need those errors fixing :)

(by the way I'm using Unity 5.6.1f1)

19. Archanor

Archanor

20. OMGWare

OMGWare

I have the same exact issue in Unity 2017.1.0f3, just opened the maindemo scene, for example effect number 59 has this issue.
    Furthermore, in the missiles scene, NovaMissileBlue/Fire/Green/Pink, some RocketMissile and NukeMissile give me these errors when fired:

I don't really know if it's an issue with Unity or my project.

More importantly, I think I have issues importing the asset, cause almost all materials used by the effects seem to have a gray default Tint color with value 128 on all channels, in fact most effects look quite darkish and off, certainly not vibrant as shown in the webGL demo.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  21. Archanor

Archanor

@OMGWare Hmm. Very strange. I don't think the errors should cause problems, though they can be annoying. I know I've seen similar errors before. I think they may have something to do with having Sub-Emitters enabled on some particle systems but having none specified.

I can take a closer look at the errors next week.

Maybe the color differences may have something to do with your rendering settings being different from my project (Deferred or Forward). Can take a look at that as well. Please e-mail me if you figure out anything else.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  22. jammyt

jammyt

Hi, thanks for the reply. Ok, not to worry, I'll just use some different particles for now, and give them another go when I move over to Unity 2017, as I'm not in a position to do so right now.

23. Archanor

Archanor

@jammyt Ok, so I've tried it in 5.5 and 5.6.0 with no errors on any of the missiles or the other demo scenes. I'll try to upload a version in 5.6.0 and see if that fixes it for you.

The only thing I can think of causing problems is that the original asset is 5.3.4 and it gets broken if you upgrade across multiple Unity versions. Alternatively there's something strange going on with your project.

I haven't seen any problems with the vibrancy of the effects, but it may have something to do with the rendering mode of your project. I'm not exactly sure :/

I'm re-uploading the asset in 5.6.0 now. Try to re-download the asset when the patch is out and see if that helps.

24. Archanor

Archanor

@jammyt The 5.6.0 version is up on the store now.

-

Asset is still on sale for 33% until monday, last chance!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  25. JesterGameCraft

JesterGameCraft

Hi,

I really like the looks of these particles. Beautiful. There is one that is missing for me simply a flamethrower effect, in mine case a dragon fire breath effect. Are you planning to add this kind of effect to the pack?

Thank You.

Regards,
    Jester

26. Archanor

Archanor

@JesterGameCraft Hey, thanks. I may look into making something like that for the next update.

I think there are two types of flamethrower effects in the "Fire/Flamethrower" folder, but they're some of the older effects of the asset. My plan was actually to make another style of fire/flamethrowers which are more similar to the majority of the missiles.

27. JesterGameCraft

JesterGameCraft

Thank You for getting back. I'll check it out. Also noticed that you have other packages that are fire specialized. I'll have a look there too. Much appreciated.

Archanor likes this.
  28. R1PFake

R1PFake

Looks awesome! Do you have any plans to add sound effects for the other effects, for example the combat/slash/etc?

29. nnurgle

nnurgle

wow looks like a great set of effects. I'm going to purchase for sure. One thing I would love to see added is water wakes! Like when a boat drives through water or when a character walks through waist high water.
    Here is a zelda example image link:
    sailing.jpg

30. Archanor

Archanor

howtofix.png

There's a missing texture bug with one of the effects, it can be fixed by following the steps in the picture above.

Hope to come with a fix for this soon, as well as some new effects.

31. Seifwares

Seifwares

Hello ,

I bought the asset about 2 weeks ago ,
    Great asset thank you !

I have a problem with bullet /particul colour (it becomes gray and transparent sometimes) and i think it's related to colour reflection or something like that .. I'm just trying to use some effects in my game scene , but the effect is not same as in the demo , i figured out that when i change the skybox or the map graphics the particle effect is changed ...i can't explain it so here is 2 screen shots (before and after changing the skybox)

Can you please tell me how to fix this problem

Attached Files:

32. Archanor

Archanor

@Seifwares Thanks for the heads up, will investigate

33. Archanor

Archanor

@Seifwares Two possible ways to fix this (screenshots included):

1. Change the colorspace of your project to Gamma and see if that fixes it (File/Build Settings)

Unity_2017-11-07_19-40-59.png

2. Increase the brightness of the AlphaBlend materials in the project

Unity_2017-11-07_19-45-14.png

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  34. delta_4792

delta_4792

Hello, I´m making a mobile game with a space rocket and need to use blue flames but i cant rotate with the rocket, always are facing up, have you any idea how to change?, y tried change all confs and its imposible.
    Thanks

35. Archanor

Archanor

@delta_4792 I'm not much of a programmer, but if you post your code in https://www.hastebin.com/ and send it to my e-mail, I can take a closer look.

Also, if you check the scripts used for the demo (they should be called ProjectileScript and FireProjectile), it could give you an indication on how to set the rotation of spawned missiles.

36. januarelsan

januarelsan

Hi

I have a problem on the SmokeWhiteTrail particle. no particle appears when I put it into a child on a moving object (parent).

I want to move an object that has child SmokeWhiteTrail.

37. Archanor

Archanor

@januarelsan Hey, which version of Unity is this? In 2017.3, particles won't emit over distance in Scene view, but only in the Game view.

38. R1PFake

R1PFake

Can you please add a sphere that looks like floating binary/data orb?

39. Archanor

Archanor

@R1PFake I'm not sure when I'm updating this pack next, but if you have references to similar effects, I could add it in for the next update.

R1PFake likes this.
  40. R1PFake

R1PFake

It could be similar to your "Digtial Rain FX" but instead of a rain from top to bottom the numbers (maybe binary) should orbit around in multiple lines/rows to create a whole sphere (3d)

I found this pic, a orb like this, but the numbers should move
    http://image.shutterstock.com/z/sto...-bits-quantum-computing-concept-136209272.jpg

41. AixiGuo

AixiGuo

Hi, I meet "Invalid AABB aabb " problem too, I am using Unity 2017.4.3f1 . But I try to fix it by editing some of your code:

In ETFXProjectileScript:
    Change the Start function:

Code (CSharp):
    1.     void Start()
    2.     {
    3.         projectileParticle = Instantiate(projectileParticle, transform.position+new Vector3(0f,0.01f,0f), transform.rotation) as GameObject;
    4.         projectileParticle.transform.parent = transform;
    5.         if (muzzleParticle){
    6.         muzzleParticle = Instantiate(muzzleParticle, transform.position + new Vector3(0f, 0.01f, 0f), transform.rotation) as GameObject;
    7.         Destroy(muzzleParticle, 1.5f); // Lifetime of muzzle effect.
    8.         }
    9.     }
    I don't know why, but I think it is just a bug of unity XD

42. Archanor

Archanor

@AixiGuo Cool to see someone figured out that error, but I don't understand how that addition fixes it :D

43. Scarfac3

Scarfac3

Hi! I recently bought Epic Toon FX and although it looks great against a neutral 2d BG (darker ones), the colors seem to get faded/merged on a 2D sprite background. Any leads about how to resolve that? Thanks!

44. Scarfac3

Scarfac3

To clarify - If I use the FX against a blue background, the colors of the red particles changes to orange. If I use the same red particle over a light blue background, the red literally fades (multiplies/adds) against the background. I suspect it is because of the additive properties of the materials. Would be great if you can help me out with this

45. Archanor

Archanor

@Scarfac3 Hey, If you send me an e-mail with an attached screenshot, I'll see what I can do. The effects use a mix of Additive and Alpha Blend shaders. The additive ones might not look very good on brightly colored backgrounds.

46. username132323232

username132323232

Hello. Does this asset include an effect that could be used as steam coming out of a cartoon-style train engine?

47. Archanor

Archanor

There is one similar effect, yeah. You might want to adjust it a little though.

Found this effect in "Epic Toon FX/Prefabs/Environment/Smoke/White/SmokeWhite" and set the Simulation Space to World.

epictoonfx.gif

48. username132323232

username132323232

Looks great. Thank you!

49. kobyle

kobyle

Hello,

It seems after upgrading to 2018.3 some effects no longer look the same as if they were on 2018.2.x.

The Particles shaders seem to have moved to 'Legacy Shaders/Particles/Additive' and so on...

Do you have a way to address this issue?

Koby

50. Archanor

Archanor

Is the project Standard or LWRP? Do you have a screenshot of what they look like?
    Feel free to e-mail me.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019