Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Enlighten Causing Huge Project File Size

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by infinitypbr, Oct 31, 2014.

1. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Hello,

I was running out of disk space -- my laptop unfortunately has a non-upgradeable 256gb drive, so I'm usually bumping up against it's limits. But I shouldn't have been.

Turns out my Unity 5 test project, which is just one small scene with maybe 15 objects, was taking 16GB of space. Almost all of that was in the enlighten folders.

I deleted them so I could keep working on non-test stuff, and now that I have Unity 5 open again, enlighten is doing it's thing and eating up disk space slowly but consistently.

Is there a way to limit how much space it uses?

2. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

Hi! We keep files in the GI cache to reduce recomputation when you make small changes to your scene or open one that has been computed in the past.
    You can set the GI file cache to get automatically trimmed. Go to Preferences -> GI Cache -> Auto Trim and set a lower size. Default is 25 gigabytes so your project is still below the default trimming threshold.
    Files that are in use for the current GI computation will _not_ get removed. Setting the cache size way too low can cause a lot of recomputation when you make changes, so there is no good default value... It will depend on your scene and project size.

A later Beta will have a shared GI cache instead of one per project, that should help when you work with many different projects.

infinitypbr likes this.
  3. Roni92

Roni92

Great idea with this cache, I like it.(no sarcasm :D)

4. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Yep, that sounds good to me!