Search Unity

Encrypt data in Resources on Build

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Yorgi, May 30, 2015.

1. Yorgi

Yorgi

Hello. I have a question about can i encrypt my XML documents on build. They are placed in ..\Assets\Resources\... of course i can encrypt them before build, but it's uncomfortable because maybe later I'll have to change them. And my question is: is it possible to keep data human readable in resources and encrypt on build?

2. laxbrookes

laxbrookes

Why do you need to encrypt them?

Assets used become serialized when the project is built anyway. I'm unsure what you are asking here.

3. Yorgi

Yorgi

well after build i found my xml documents readable, maybe i did something wrong

4. Jamster

Jamster

How about you encrypt them, store them in resources and then when you load them in your script decrypt them? Still possible to decrypt but it always will be...

5. Yorgi

Yorgi

i was thinking about that, but i thought there must be another solution beside decrypt/encrypt always then i need to change anything in xml files

6. Jamster

Jamster

I think you can write editor scripts that execute when a build is made so you could perhaps encrypt it from there?

7. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

There is no Resources folder in a build anyway, so don't worry about it.

--Eric

8. Yorgi

Yorgi

yep, but there is "resources.assets" file in root directory of "BuildName_Data", which contains xml files and after build they are human readable

9. laxbrookes

laxbrookes

They are only viewable in development builds if I remember rightly. Otherwise that "_data" folder will not exist.

10. Yorgi

Yorgi

nope i did the common build. I have the personal license by the way

11. Yorgi

Yorgi

it's a good idea, but i never developed the editor script, so it would be bit hard