Search Unity

Empty tile skipping in grid slice not compatible with most Tilemappers

Discussion in '2D' started by Elo01, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Elo01

Elo01

I just wasted 2 hours, thinking my tilemapper had a bug, so maybe I can save you some time.

This is also a form of feedback, as this feature currently renders many popular tilemappers useless if you use spritesheets. A toggle button would be greatly appreciated

http://i.imgur.com/U6nySFi.png

In grid slice mode, unity is skipping all tiles that are empty / contain no pixels

This means that the order / index of ALL following tiles shifts by -1 for each empty tile in the spritesheet

The linked image clearly shows the issue. There's an empty tile, meaning unity skips it and all other tiles shift by -1. The used tilemapper behaves as expected and still counts empty tiles. This introduces completely unnecessary work, as you now have to make sure no spritesheet contains empty / completely transparent tiles

2. Mighty-Professional

Mighty-Professional

I agree, this is a bit of a pain. Any solutions?

I nominate this entry into the worlds biggest hack contest. If you are TRULY desperate this works.

http://pastebin.com/bjffbB0N -> Drag on a object
    http://pastebin.com/nVcVf4bT -> Put in editor folder

Generate your tiles normally. Select this script, drop your tileset in and hit Split Tiles.

Viola, proper tiles.

[Warning] The degree of this hack is equal to US national debt.

Any real solutions would be nice.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  3. Mighty-Professional

Mighty-Professional

4. Mighty-Professional

Mighty-Professional

5. Shadeless

Shadeless

Hey, I haven't experienced this kind of issue. I use the Sprite Editor to cut the tiles I need and then create tile prefabs and tile them myself, with a TileMap script.

But I experience a totally different issue, where Unity's camera is not pixel perfect and if he camera moves you can see pixel distortions on the tiles (pixels shifting left and right). Any more input would be appreciated. I've posted a temporary fix in one thread.

6. Mighty-Professional

Mighty-Professional

I dont want to mix this thread up with other issues as they tend to get off topic and lose the original point. I have heard of that error a few times. I personally fixed it by setting the filter mode on the tileset to point. Either way there should be plenty of info around to fix it.

avictorsa likes this.
  7. Otsego

Otsego

8. diego-vieira

diego-vieira

I am facing the same problem, I spent 10 votes on this. This should be on Unity long ago.

9. G-Reusch

G-Reusch

My personal solution has been to put some pixels with an alpha value of 1 in the slices that are supposed to be empty. Shouldn't be noticeable in most cases and it prevents Unity from ignoring them.

viridisamor likes this.
  10. joedurb

joedurb

super frustrating this is not an option still?
    Here i scribble tmeporary pixels to make sure my future mappings arent corrupted when we add to the tilesheet.

SIMPLE: Ignore White Space?

11. castor76

castor76

I totally agree with this. There should be option to keep the empty sprites.

Ufol likes this.
  12. ChuanXin

ChuanXin

Unity Technologies

There will be an update to the Sprite Editor in 2020.1 to improve slicing of such Spritesheets as well as adding on Sprites to the Spritesheet as you iterate on the artwork.

upload_2020-2-28_14-21-2.png

Ufol and castor76 like this.