Search Unity

Eitr - Gameplay Video - Action RPG [ Isometric Pixel Art ][New Trailer]

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Aedous, Aug 7, 2014.

1. zenGarden

zenGarden

HeadClot88 :
    The response is some posts above :D

Aedous and HeadClot88 like this.
  2. Chemaxmax

Chemaxmax

Now the environment is very dynamic. I like it! Some plants generate "floating pixels" (the smallests ones), Is it a gif's issue?

3. Aedous

Aedous

Thanks for that! we're happy that it's starting to look more alive. The floating pixels are coming from the animation, we will be going through and making adjustments just to make sure that nothing looks out of place :).
    We've managed to get it to a state where there are not so many odd pixel issues, but more work will be going into trying to make it as pixel perfect as possible, really wish there was a pixel perfect button :p

We're working on the loot system and then on the skill system next so should be able to show that very soon! items always makes a game that much better, we've taken reference from Diablo and Path of Exile so the items are randomly generated "yay" :D.

Also working on some new art for the game, really like the look of this guy

-Bloodbeard Warchief

Will post up the transformation for this guy when it's finished, it's going to be using Zombie Night Terror as a reference point for this, they have some INSANE transformations with their Zombie dudes.

MineLucky and NomadKing like this.
  4. Aedous

Aedous

Think it's about time we got a new logo going!

You can't tell by the picture but we've stuck with the whole pixelated look as well :). Hope you like it!

NomadKing and Samuel411 like this.
  5. MineLucky

MineLucky

The art really awesome,can't stop love dark visual theme.:D

Aedous likes this.
  6. camiloferrer

camiloferrer

some tutorials or tools that you can share to reach a similar level to you?

the map editor is unique to you or will be shared online?

forgive my English, I am latin american

thanks for such a wonderful job !!

Aedous likes this.
  7. Aedous

Aedous

No tutorials as of yet, as I feel that I am still on a learning curve, but I'm opening to answering any questions! :)
    That's no problem, it is quite unique to us, because it's been built from scratch, I'm hoping to release it to the public sometime in the near future, when I feel that it's good enough to release, the level editor is very early, and needs some fine tuning and fixes here and there.

8. TOBII_Rickard

TOBII_Rickard

Hello! Looking good so far Aedous!

I've been stalking this thread on and off since october :)

I'm curious, what is your target platform? PC?

9. Aedous

Aedous

Thanks dude! aiming to release this on PC, but we're also investigating the PS4 and then later the Vita :).

10. zenGarden

zenGarden

Terrible game.
    Myself i tried pixel art, and god, it's not easy at all to have it look good :D

Some new video or some pics of new environements would be great :rolleyes:

11. camiloferrer

camiloferrer

you may know that editor used to create the characters and enemies who appear in the game?

12. zenGarden

zenGarden

Custom editor.

13. Aedous

Aedous

:p not yet, we're actually just finishing up the outside environment we previewed earlier with mock up art. We're now working on adding events / gameplay / chests ( yes.. there's loot ).

I wouldn't say it's a custom editor, just a bunch of scripts and animations put together to make a living character, would like to branch out so that create new characters is easier but it works for now :).

I also stumbled across this fan art by Vaernim on deviant art http://vaernim.deviantart.com/ and was completely blown away by what I saw :O. "It's happening"

:O Check him out!

NomadKing and Kellyrayj like this.
  14. zenGarden

zenGarden

Amazing draw, did your propose him to keep that drawing for your game ?

15. Aedous

Aedous

Not yet, but really considering it :)

16. virror

virror

Pretty badass art : D

17. primus88

primus88

Don't get me wrong, the quality is awesome, but the character's face is not what I imagined.
    In this one she looks like a troublemaker mercenary, a rascal.

I imagined your heroine to be more like a strong, independent, middle-aged woman. Someone that is fair, experienced and trustworthy.

Maybe I'm wrong... just my opinion though.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  18. Callski

Callski

Your game looks amazing! I can't wait for it to play it! I can really see the passion the team has in every aspect, from art, gameplay, design, and sound. SOOO GOOD!

19. camiloferrer

camiloferrer

Aedous and primus88 like this.
  20. zenGarden

zenGarden

It's fantasy game, not reality.

21. LaneFox

LaneFox

Yeah, give her dREDlocks.

Looks really cool. Good pixels are always impressive to me.

22. Aedous

Aedous

Everyone is entitled to their own interpretation :) we actually think she looks a bit too young, but love the fact that she looks strong in that picture..

Thanks! glad you like it.
    Lol, Rastafarian Viking :p, glad you like it :)

NomadKing likes this.
  23. zenGarden

zenGarden

Give us a video, we are pixel hungry :D

24. Aedous

Aedous

As soon as we get everything ready and polished up then we can feed your hunger :).

On another note, something strange is happening to the Bloodbeards...

Not_Sure and NomadKing like this.
  25. zenGarden

zenGarden

That's great morphing.
    But the shoulders armor should not morph as they are solid and not human, that's looks weird on shoulders amor.

26. Aedous

Aedous

Ye now I see it I can't unsee it, should be just a minor adjustment though :).

We're coming up to our set alpha date ( lol sorry not public yet ) and putting things together to have a smooth experience.
    We've improved the way we handle our maps by actually using less tiles and using tools like PolyMesh to sketch out the base layout of the map. Then filling it in with pre-made props that we hand place, still trying to think of better map drawing tools that I could create in the future.
    We also use less lights, and a lot more fake lights to achieve a good lighting effect around the map, this also has improved the performance, I talk about it more here ( if you're interested, it's been done before just needed to wrap my head around it ).

Derity has also been working on some new art props for the boss room, took us quite a while to figure out where things would go, but he finally nailed it and came up with this, which just looks :D.

Cutscenes:
    This is really really early in it's development but so far has opened up some more possibilities for handling calling scripts in a timeline. I was heavily basing my logic on using UnityEvents and still it quite useful for a lot of things :), but now I'm mixing it up with uSequencer which has allowed me to even create in game transitions when moving from scene to scene. There is a free version which I tried, and then bought :).

Environments:
    One more thing which we're both really thinking is going to really improve the look of our game is we finally figured out how we can do water. It's still in it's early stages, but coming along really nice!

Soo purdy! thanks to the Sprite Mask Tool by PoL, we would have to cut out the bottom of sprites manually if we didn't use this tool and he was very quick to answer my questions and deal with my frustration.
    We achieve the water effect by using 2 masks, one for the top, and one for the reflection. We simply use the sprite mask tool to only show certain parts of a sprite.
    The next step was the ripples which spawn at different intervals, the first interval which is much slower spawns ripples when you are not moving, while the other which is much faster and spawns ripples while you are moving.
    The way the tile sets are drawn also greatly lead us to finally solving water so that things actual appear as if they are in water.

There are few more things to solve such as coming up with a new system to determine order in layer, as we're coming across some issues with shaders on sprites using the same order in layer, but this has opened up some more possibilities for improving the atmosphere of the game :).
    If anyone has any idea of how to achieve an order in layer system where only one order can be filled by one sprite at a time would be so greatful! in the meantime will post the solution here when I manage to code it.

Back to coding! ;)

theANMATOR2b, Razputin and NomadKing like this.
  27. zenGarden

zenGarden

Why not the base level as full 3D map, then render on top assets and characters ? It's full flexibility.
    Also the water effect could have been real 3D, using a 3D capsule collider for the character.

Are you using Unity 5 ?

28. Aedous

Aedous

Funny enough we are actually using some 3D assets in some of the maps, however fully creating the maps in 3d does have it's benefits, however it also implies a certain look to your game which I don't will suit what we're aiming for.

We're using Unity 5, no sudden impacts on 2D at least not in our case apart from the introduction to coding mecanim state behaviors. I can already see a large benefit in that, tempted to go back and rewrite my animation system, but that's another task for another day :).

29. zenGarden

zenGarden

Yes, Mecanim state is amazing to simplfy tates management , so you'll have less code to do.

30. Aedous

Aedous

Yep, I like the fact that you can simply just hook into states so much easier to manage, especially the sub state machines, so now at least I can organise my mecanim animations. Will take some time to see any more benefits but so far so good :).

31. NomadKing

NomadKing

That water effect looks gorgeous - subtle and brilliant! :)

32. Aedous

Aedous

Thanks took a lot of thinking to put it together, and now just working on having it transition in out for walking in and out of water.

33. NomadKing

NomadKing

Just flood all the levels with water, I wouldn't mind looking at it all day :p

theANMATOR2b and Aedous like this.
  34. Aedous

Aedous

Haha, be careful what you wish for :p

NomadKing likes this.
  35. Aedous

Aedous

Wow it's been a while, if you guys haven't been following us on twitter there may have been some stuff you may have missed.

Loot System:
    We've been working on the loot system, trying to get everything to be randomly generated, saving, loading and balancing to make sure the proper tiers come out, and customization on particular mobs to have their own drop rate / loot type. It's still quite early in but so far so good!

Each item's stats/tier are randomly generated.

There is still going to be some work put into the way the loot hops out of enemies, including sound and probably changing the highlights of the items to only appear after they have dropped. If anyone is curious I'm using ScriptableObjects to do all this :D.

Combat
    We've made quite a few changes when it comes to combat, trying to make things feel better, smoother. We added some dual wielding into the mix. So now you have your choice of play style, either you go on the hunt with a sword and shield, or be more brutal with a sword and axe!

Buffing up your dual wield with some lighting!

In this mode you will still be able to block/parry but it won't be as damage absorbing as a shield, but your attack combo increases from 3 to a 5 hit combo, so it's really up to you how you want to play. We'll be also adding more weapon types in the future.

The next thing is the dash which is now a side step, from all the feedback we got, this is the final result, and I have to say it actually feels and looks much better :). Keep the suggestions coming!

Bob and weave, bob and weave!
    The dash will still be in the game, but we're thinking to move it to a skill set as it was too flashy for a basic move set for the character.
    ----------------------------
    There have been other additions, such as touching up with some particle effects, better sound spawning for enemies to give them more life and so many others to show, also working on a new trailer. Will be posting more things as we get closer and closer to the big E3 day. Please do stay tuned!

P.S: Just so that it's out there for anyone else, there is a certain bug with Unity 5 "Copy Current-State Machine" option, that causes Unity to crash when you are trying to build. You can find some more info and the solution over here, if anyone is having troubles Mecanim Crash.

Not_Sure, Callski, NomadKing and 4 others like this.
  36. ANTMAN0079

ANTMAN0079

Loot Skittles! I would leave it just like that, personally.

37. NomadKing

NomadKing

The loot system and the evasion mechanics both look great. I love those pixelated loot glows! :)

38. zenGarden

zenGarden

Cool. Will it be some classes system like Dark Souls ?
    Why not some system like Bloodborne : Gun with small damage in one hand and weapon on the other hand ?

Any game demo planned :D ?

39. Callski

Callski

@zenGarden For me, I would like the team to stay with the whole viking setting. I think adding guns to the mix wouldn't quite fit. That being said I totally agree with you about bloodborne. A bloodborne level of difficulty could be fun in this game if implemented right!

This reminds me of Diablo but with vikings!

40. Callski

Callski

Guys! Congrats! I saw your game show up during the Sony E3 press conference! That is huge! I hope you all are celebrating! I am really excited for this game and really excited for you guys!

Aedous likes this.
  41. Aedous

Aedous

So it has been a while, we've been busy, busy, busy!

We're actually in LA preparing for the E3 showcase and wanted to share with you all today our first official trailer!

Sit back and enjoy, and hope you like it!

nasos_333, Callski, ortin and 4 others like this.
  42. NomadKing

NomadKing

Awesome.

Aedous likes this.
  43. IAmCraigSnedeker

IAmCraigSnedeker

I saw this during E3 live streams. Congrats!

Aedous likes this.
  44. zenGarden

zenGarden

The games lacks some diversity like mountains sides or big castel heights, it is looking like playing on simple ground outdoor or flat dungeon indoors floor always.
    Traps are missing, like dangerous environments, and simple ennemies seems to be only few, lacking diversity like spiders, momies and other ones.

Keep it up.

45. NomadKing

NomadKing

Just saw that you got mentioned in the preview part of the latest PC Gamer (UK edition).

Great to see this game getting more coverage! :)

Aedous likes this.
  46. Aedous

Aedous

Been a while!

Thanks, we plan to have more diversity on our maps, the maps you saw in the trailer are the maps we have looking good enough to show. We also plan on having traps, and no worries about the enemies :) however I don't think there will be mummies tho lol.
    Yep! thanks for letting us know we literally went out and bought a PC Gamer mag!

We've been really busy trying to clean up our demo for the last few shows, E3 and just came back from Gamescom (was awesome!!). Our next show will be EGX up in Birmingham which is the first public show for us, now everyone gets a chance to play the game and can't wait for it! Even though it's a bit scary :eek:

There's a few interviews we did with IGN, which was so nerve racking but turned out all right in the end! and also a Twitch interview!

Live interview

Booth interview

There may be some confusion as to some of the systems we have so here's a brief description of some of them:

Favor

Favor is how you level up in the game, there are no experience points from killing enemies. Favor is an item that can be dropped from enemies and especially bosses. It can also be found in chests or maybe even from NPCs.
    Once you acquire favor you gain a buff increase on your base stats, the specific stats that do get increased will be based upon your allegiance to a Norse god. For example if you've "prayed" at an altar dedicated to Thor then acquiring Favor may give you +5 Strength. The other Norse gods will have different effects for acquiring Favor.
    You also have the option of spending this Favor at Yggdrasil, your main hub. Spend Favor to increase a specific stat value of your choosing.
    The benefits of holding Favor means you get a stronger stat increase, that can be lost upon death. On the other hand you can then spend your Favor and have a weaker but permanent stat increase of your choosing. Play it safe, play it risky or even a bit of both.

Skills
    Skills are not acquired through levelling up, but are just like Items and are found across the game.These items are called Gems, which can be attached to a specific weapon to give you a skill. For example in the demo the Shield Maiden has a "Frost Gem" equipped on her shield, which gives her the ability to use the skill "Frost Shield", which freezes enemies on contact.

Charges
    These relate closely to your skills, and skills require Charges in order to be used. It is essentially mana but works more like your Charges in street fighter. Some skills may require more than 1 Charge per use, so it's up to you as the player how you want to approach holding your skills. More powerful skills for the trade off of doing them less often, or less powerful skills but the ability to carry them out in succession. In order to recharge them is dependant on the skill you have equipped. So if I'm using a defensive skill, I have to play defensively in order to recharge the skill, block more often, evade attacks etc. Same goes with offensive skills, which require you to attack more, kill more and so on.
    The potion also uses charges but at the moment can only be recharged from a certain number of enemy kills.

Skill Trees
    This is a heavy work in progress, but just like our Favor and Skills, a skill tree is also an item which can be found whilst doing your normal "activities" in the game. A skill tree is an Amulet that can be equipped to your character, this Amulet will hold a set of passive abilities that your character can possess. It will also be randomly generated and have it's own rarity. Some skill trees will have more passive slots than others, and we are hoping that by doing this we are giving you the option to change your skill tree on the fly.

We're now working on some new content, and looking to test out our game loop of farming, returning to town, playing a bit of the meta games ( shops, crafting, finding loot etc ), so that our demo has more replay value into it. Please do stay tuned!! :D

NomadKing likes this.
  47. Aedous

Aedous

So it's been another huge blank period of posting on these forums, I promise to try and make the posts a little more often to keep this thread alive!

Even though we've been silent, we've still be adding as much as we can to the game, so just going introduce a few new things!

Two handed Swords!
    We've been working on adding another type of weapon into the game, and it seems to work quite well, especially when taking on a large group of enemies because of the amount of range you have. The downfall for using the two handed sword is how slow it is compared to other weapons, however the increased damage is worth it!

Animated Levers
    We now have animated levers completed, and are ready to implement into the game. It will be used for various things, like opening doors, and allowing access to a bridge.

Demonstrating I-frames for dodging
    For most people who do not know, dodging in Eitr gives you the ability to dodge incoming attacks as it makes you invulnerable for a brief amount of time. So timing is definitely important in order to succeed when facing off with enemies.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Destructibles!
    Yes, we finally have destructible objects! we're just working on making it look much better, at the moment it's using some temporary sprites and isn't fully polished. It's using the same system as the loot dropping to give it a bouncing effect across the floor.

Gems
    The system for applying gems to an item has also been implemented through a NPC. Gems attached to items can apply extra stats to the item. For example a "Strength Gem" will give you extra Strength points when applied to an item.
    When using the NPC you can either choose to apply gems, or completely remove all the gems from an item.

Materials
    The same goes with materials, which can be accessed through an NPC. Materials allow you to modify the properties of an item. For example you may find a material that will completely re-roll the stats on an item. This seems to be working quite well, all that is left right now is make more materials.

Auras
    Auras are items (for now) that you can find, that once used give you a temporary boost to your stats on your character. These auras may give you a percentage increase to your base damage over a certain amount of time, or any other attribute we want to tweak. It doesn't mean that Auras are specific to attributes. Still in it's early stages but it works quite well with the modifiers that have been created.

Attributes

I did some heavy rewriting of the attributes system using this post as reference Using the Composite Design Pattern for an RPG attributes system. This helped eliminate the flaws in the old system and generally improved the workflow of attributes in the game. It's allowed us to clearly see the affects of stats on a character and also allowed us to give us a better result when using an Aura to gain a buff.

It uses a scriptable object to store all the values, and each stat has a range of values to select from to determine it's properties. The values at the top give us the final result of what the main attributes will be :).

The only issue we're having at the moment is trying to figure out a way to create Action based modifiers, what we mean is basically instead of just having modifiers that alter your stats, we would have modifiers that also modify the behaviour of your character, for example "% chance to nullify back damage".

Items and Modifiers
    There has been a few modifications to the items and how they work, we're now using Interfaces to determine the type of item it is. It was generally to remove duplicate code and also to make sure that creating new types of items was much easier. It was also to improve the way modifiers were used on items. The reason for this is because we figured that most modifiers will be used in multiple places, so wanted to keep the general structure of things the same. So now some items have a class 'Premademod' which holds a value and then a modifier that goes along with it. Modifiers now have their own unique behaviours and take their values from the 'Premademod' class which is proving to work quite well!

The modifiers are used in the PremadeMods section. Some use values and some don't, it really is dependant on the modifier that is being used.

Gawsh! that was a long post, hope it's not much too take in, the top half is all pretty with gifs, well the bottom part is more technical stuff.
    As I said before will try and keep on posting on here to keep this post alive and well, and not neglected.

48. nasos_333

nasos_333

Amazing work

Aedous likes this.
  49. zenGarden

zenGarden

Just post some pictures of gifs from time to time, even with no text we will be happy :)

theANMATOR2b and Aedous like this.
  50. PhoenixRising1

PhoenixRising1

Looking really good. I'm curious as to what you use for pathfinding for the enemies.