Search Unity

Eitr - Gameplay Video - Action RPG [ Isometric Pixel Art ][New Trailer]

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Aedous, Aug 7, 2014.

1. zenGarden

zenGarden

I hope you will add things to break the repetitive nature of isometric tiles :)

2. Aedous

Aedous

Yes most definitely, breaking objects is always more fun :).

Just another update to show a birds eye view of a map partially completed, built with the level editor.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  3. Ra1den

Ra1den

Love the Art and Animations! :D

4. bravo075

bravo075

I am loving this, the art is just gorgeous. So it's basically a 3D layout, and 2D sprites, interesting, keep this up, and seriously the animations and characters look great.

5. Ra1den

Ra1den

Btw! planning multiplayer for this? :D

6. Aedous

Aedous

Thanks for the feedback!

It has been something that we really want to add especially some sort of PVP, but for the moment it's on our wish list as we are trying to mainly focus on creating an offline experience as we have no experience when it comes to online gameplay.

7. laurelhach

laurelhach

Really nice art you did, I am a big fan of Dark Soul :) Let see how you can create some interesting gameplay around your game. I just have one comment and I could be wrong, but this is the only thing that stood up. Your characters seem to be really tall, I have no experience in Iso, so that could be why. But it felt out of scale when I saw the character.

Otherwise really looking promising! The more you complete your game the harder it gets :)
    Keep up the good work!

8. bravo075

bravo075

Hey question, are you using regular quads or planes to make the sprites? or Unity's 2D toolkit? also how will you be managing shadows? dynamic or static?

9. Aedous

Aedous

Thanks for the feedback, haven't noticed it before. I'm hoping that's just because the image is static and you haven't got to see it moving in an environment just yet, but let me know if it still looks to tall when we post up some gameplay clips.

Just using unity's built in 2D solution, which has worked well, even though there where some challenges. We haven't had a chance to test out dynamic shadows, not quite sure what it would look like on an isometric grid so at the moment it's just static shadows. I've heard of sprite lamp which looks like it can do the job, but would have to test it out to see. Would be great to have dynamic shadows! :)

10. Aedous

Aedous

Been working on the new gui in engine, and also using Unity's new UI system, and so far... so good! :D

Here's a gif showing the menu currently WIP. *gif is quite heavy*

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
    NomadKing likes this.
  11. TheValar

TheValar

art and animation in this are looking so amazing! Good work!

12. NomadKing

NomadKing

That gif was worth the wait... very sexy GUI! :)

13. TemplarGFX

TemplarGFX

HERE - TAKE MY MONEY!

Awesome. I'll be in-line to buy this when it comes out. Love the art style and animation

14. Ziboo

Ziboo

Awesome work !

For the level layout are you using sprites or 3d model ?
    If sprites, is it positioned in 3d (like the floor will have rotated sprites facing Y) or just in 2d view with z order by Y position ?

Keep up the good work, seams very promising ;)

15. Aedous

Aedous

Thanks for the comment!
    Glad you like it, there would be some extra bits added to the GUI, would like to add some animations/transitions to the menu.
    Glad to hear it! it's great motivation to know that people are excited about the game.

Thank you, we are only using 2d sprites for the map, nothing is built in 3d as we can't find a good use for it in the game.

16. Deon-Cadme

Deon-Cadme

Lovely graphics, just looking at the screenshots makes me want to sit down and play the game :)

Do you have plans for any game mechanics that will set it apart from other, similar games in the genre?

17. emilianop

emilianop

Lots of people already said so, but I guess doesn't do harm to reiterate: that looks great Aedous!

How have you guys planned to manage movement? Would it be pixel-perfect or will the character be allowed to fill in positions that are sub-pixel relative to the character's resolution?
    From the gifs you posted about the combat system looks like it's the second option?

Yep, it'd be interesting to know about this.
    Looks like a lot of people wants to make a DS-like game nowadays.

18. Aedous

Aedous

Finally after much sweat and tears, our first gameplay footage is finally out! Will be answering any previous questions about the game.

We really want to start spreading the word, so show your friends, follow us on twiiter, and share!​

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
    Chemaxmax, NomadKing and AthosK like this.
  19. zenGarden

zenGarden

Great work, it is same has same spirit as Dark Souls.
    Will you make ennemies taking 0 damage when they block ?
    Also a bout moves it seems it is hard to turn aorund some ennemy than come to it's back, could you find some way of implementing that ?
    Will you have outdoor dungeons? (Dark souls 2 , Grimrock 2 etc ...) it would be refreshing.
    Why not put some big unique structures from time to time ? big tower or bridge, temple, statues etc ...

About the music, and too much annoying while playing , really. Why not silence like Dark Souls, and music near fires or special places ? This continuous soundreally would make me want to play without sound.

Keep the amazing work.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  20. alexfeature

alexfeature

Awesome work! The atmosphere and the execution in general is superb. Can't wait to see more :)

21. AthosK

AthosK

Wow pretty nice work this has turn into, good job!

22. NomadKing

NomadKing

Great looking video guys :)

23. Chemaxmax

Chemaxmax

I've just seen the video and it's awesome :eek: Good work!

24. R-Lindsay

R-Lindsay

As soon as I saw the first page I thought Sword and Sworcery (probably the art). Except this actually looks like a good game.

I'll buy this when it comes out for sure.

25. Aedous

Aedous

Thanks a lot for the feedback guys! really appreciate it! please share as much as you can, any support will be appreciated.

Just to answer some questions, there would be other map types and not just dungeons, we are looking at 9 different worlds from Norse Mythology.
    As for the sound, it's temporary at the moment and we still need to decide on how we want it to influence the atmosphere, so there will be bits where it may just be silent :).

NomadKing, R-Lindsay and AthosK like this.
  26. bahteles

bahteles

Looks pretty solid, I love the artwork!
    Amazing job!

27. zenGarden

zenGarden

Well the continuous sound is not adding anything , and more distracting i found.
    I would say like dark souls music for bosses and mid bosses.

28. Aedous

Aedous

Spent the day working on our site, and very happy with what we have. It also contains a piece of new art. We will be posting updates on here as well so please Share, Like and Reblog!

Thank's a lot for all the feedback, we take everything on board.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
    NomadKing likes this.
  29. Aedous

Aedous

So things have been going quite well, have been picked up by some press which was really surprising!
    PCGamer
    KillScreen
    Siliconera
    The Escapist
    Have a read! share! the responses have been really great!

Some new gifs for you! showcasing some new things that we have in the pipeline!

The 2 new skills to use while battling!

Stress testing hordes of enemies out of curiousity!

And finally a sneak preview of what the cinematics will look like!

30. Music-Vortex

Music-Vortex

Nice to see the game getting media attention, it sure looks great!
    Looking forward to see more of this game.

About the sound, I wouldn't go for too much silence, add much more variety to the soundscape to make it sound more dynamic, save silence for very specific points. Silence can be very effective if used at the right moment ;)
    Some subtle music at specific points would be great.

Keep up the great work!

Aedous likes this.
  31. zenGarden

zenGarden

I am curious, do you use some 2D Tiles or some Asset store kit ?
    It is 4.6 Gui for inventory, menus ?
    What tool do you use for animation of characters ?

I'm sure your game will keep more attention from medias, you make amazing work so it pays.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  32. Samuel411

Samuel411

The only thing that was going through my head while watching the video was, "I NEED THIS!". Good job! I hope that eventually we will be able to break some things in the map like wooden boxes, etc.

33. Aedous

Aedous

Thanks!
    The artwork and animations are done using Photoshop, and then using TexturePacker to create sprite sheets. To build the levels we have built our own level editor to help build the isometric maps, which is still in it's early stages.

The GUI is built using the new 4.6 GUI system, so far it's working well and I would recommend people try it out for their early projects.

Yep, there will be :), glad you like it!

34. NomadKing

NomadKing

Great to see the media talking about this, as they should be! ;)

Aedous likes this.
  35. 2dchaos

2dchaos

This looks amazing!

Aedous likes this.
  36. Aedous

Aedous

So we've had quite a few requests for a targetting system and we always kind of brushed it off, we didn't really feel a need for it before in our combat system, however - we decided to just test it out just due to the sheer amount of requests and... OMG. Can't believe we didn't add this sooner, it fits in perfectly and makes combat feel more comfortable.

For Keyboard/Mouse it's simply just a TAB-Targeting system that puts all the nearest enemies in a list and cycles through them, for controllers you'll flick the right analogue and it'll pick the nearest target to the direction you press - (we'll be implementing this later, right now it just works like the TAB version)

It forces you to face in the direction of the target enemy, unless you're running / dashing, etc.

Backstabs are much easier now too...:)

NomadKing and randomperson42 like this.
  37. zenGarden

zenGarden

Good, this will make combat lot more natural to control and will involve deeper strategy against ennmies and bosses like Darks souls :)
    (I prefer the controller direction nearest target , it feels more easy and direct to use)

Aedous likes this.
  38. 8Eye

8Eye

This looks incredible. Nice job!

Aedous likes this.
  39. CaoMengde777

CaoMengde777

wwoow!! i loove that art style!! looks amazing!! wish i could make art like that!! i loove that art style!! i say its better than whatever 3d artwork is the best right now :) .. really.. i love the look
    ... i think theres a certain point where realistic 3d looks "too real" and doesnt "feel" like a game anymore .. or something.. i love that it looks painted

Aedous likes this.
  40. Aedous

Aedous

Thanks for the comments guys! We're updating the UI a bit now :)

NomadKing and Chemaxmax like this.
  41. AgentParsec

AgentParsec

Do you already have someone doing music for the game?

42. paulojsam

paulojsam

you need webdesign and logo design for it as well

43. zenGarden

zenGarden

What are the icons on top ? shield and sword and the ones with some red colors ?
    Will it be some magic powers like Dark souls you can learn with enought magic stats;
    or some system more like in Lords of the fallen ?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  44. Aedous

Aedous

Yes we do we're lucky to have such a great composer!

Thanks for the offer but we're covered in those areas :).

The Icons on the top represent (from left to right), physical damage, physical defence, magic damage, magic defence. These may still change in the future.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Now an update and where things are! we've had a lot of feedback and suggestions on from some of our play-tests is the "life" of the world of Eitr. At the moment, our world feels a little dead, it has a decent atmosphere, but it essentially lacks any environmental animation.

We've been working on addressing this aesthetic concern in the next zone we're going to show you guys, the Whispering Meadows. Here's a sneak peak!

We'll be revisiting previous maps to add some environmental animations to them too, we really want to bring our world to life and have it feel less static. We found a neat little pixel-trick to help with some of this, so expect to see a more organic Eitr from here on out!

Really itching to say something, but I can't say it yet! Stay tuned.. ;)

45. zenGarden

zenGarden

Oh great, the wind really make things alive :)
    I have other ideas also :
    - birds , fireflyes , or any animals moving randomly and avoiding player when he is near by goging or jumping on areas non walkable by the player.
    - rain or snow htting the ground , lava effects
    - some moving fog one the ground on some areas
    Will you post some video ro public demo for christmas :rolleyes: ?

Keep up the goood work.

46. Aedous

Aedous

You are spot on, we have been thinking of different elements to bring the maps to life, we've even been testing out the snow particle effects mixed with some fog effects. Rain is yet to come ;).

"Will you post some video ro public demo for christmas :rolleyes: ? " lol we know that there are a lot of people eager to play it, but you will have to wait just a bit more :).

47. zenGarden

zenGarden

Will you make player and ennemies make some footprints on snow ? Or have some subtle water trail effect when running on water. Or it is adding too much work ?

48. zenGarden

zenGarden

The game will need deadly traps when you walk on something (or if you don't have detection skill enought high compared to trap level). Also for some levels , some dangerous zones like Acid , lava , fire from pipes rising up throught a metal grid that would be teh rgound you walk on. These areas would drain your health slowly.
    Also big rocks boulders on some zones falling at regular rythm, like Dark Souls 2 , where you would have to do a good timing to reach different zones, and some mecanisms to stop or change the direction of the big boulder.
    They would do lot of damage and could push you down when hitting you to some lower level or some trap.

It's just ideas, and do as you feel it instead ;)

49. RedSuinit

RedSuinit

This is incredible work. I am jealous of your pixel artists skills. I want to be able to do that, but alas.....

Will be watching this!

50. HeadClot88

HeadClot88

This art looks awesome!
    Also - just curious - What level editor are you using is it custom or it is available on the asset store.