Search Unity

EditorOnly tag

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Deleted User, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

I have a qustion about the EditorOnly tag, I know its purpose to prevent gameobjects under that tag to be included in the scene on build. What I would like to know if the content of said objects is still allocated.

I have a script that retain just simple text, I use it as a memo system for editor only usage. I wanted to be sure that when I build the game the serialized text won't be allocated in memory at build time even if the gameobject isn't included in the scene, does EditorOnly tag prevent this too?

Thanks.

2. samizzo

samizzo

The EditorOnly flag should mean that any game objects that are flagged with it are not built into the player. So that means that the scripts on those game objects also won't be built. You can verify that by printing out a list of all MonoBehaviours in the scene using GameObject.FindObjectsOfType(typeof(MonoBehaviour)).

NotaNaN, Fr33zerPop and Deleted User like this.
  3. DonLoquacious

DonLoquacious

Man, you're on a necro-frenzy today.

NotaNaN and samizzo like this.
  4. samizzo

samizzo

Hehe, it just annoys me when there are these posts with no answers or wrong answers for like a year!

abrusleFDJ and NotaNaN like this.
  5. Deleted User

Deleted User

Well thank you for the reply anyway, necro or not, was still wondering the answer even to this day lol.

NotaNaN likes this.