Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Editor crashes when importing models while in play mode.

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by EiknarF, Jul 30, 2015.

1. EiknarF

EiknarF

Unity crashes when (re)importing complicated models (with anims) while the model is in the scene in play mode.

I submitted a bug what feels like ages ago but seems to have been ignored despite finding someone from unity on irc and having them repro it.

http://fogbugz.unity3d.com/default.asp?684685_qjg65fe970nvkq2u

not sure what to do with it now, would be nice if it were fixed as when it crashes there's a chance I lose work

2. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

If you think it's critically important to be fixed, then please include your blender artwork, and a small unity project. I can see some instructions, but think the stuff that you use and see the problem should be shared.

Also, I guess my view, is that changing artwork whilst the game is running is not supported.

3. EiknarF

EiknarF

It was included in the bug report when I sent it, do you guys not have that? Oh well either way I will get everything together and post here in a few days but unfortunately won't have time before.

Obviously I would prefer the ability to change artwork when the game is running but the most annoying part of this is I end up with situations where I forgot to press pause or stop and save a blend file then can't get back to unity without a crash. There's no cryptic way to get back into unity without auto reloading assets is there?

4. Fantastic Worlds Studio

Fantastic Worlds Studio

Its generally not a good idea to try and change what a program is doing while its running. As Graham said, that's one thing the developers probably don't have supported. I know we can change variables while the game is running, but those are meant to be changed, or you can't have a meaningful game, but to tell it to swap out a model for a newer one seems like it would break it.

BrandyStarbrite likes this.
  5. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

I can't see any attachments such as project, artwork, etc.

6. EiknarF

EiknarF

Update is crash doesn't happen anymore in a new project (I had one setup to test and submit the bug before) Still happens in my main project every time though.

Will submit and update here again if I work out why its different.

7. EiknarF

EiknarF

Resubmitted the bug
    http://fogbugz.unity3d.com/default.asp?717648_43uittdkc2iporad

I can't tell from the webpage but the bug reporter said it uploaded the project folder so you should have the files?

also I tested in the blacksmith scene and upload a package of the asset that causes the crash;

load unity blacksmith scene
    load this package https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1693140/tresurechest.unitypackage
    play the scene
    drag tresurechestfbx.fbx into the scene
    right click tresurechestfbx.fbx in the project and pick "Reimport"
    crash
    *note treasurechestfbx.fbx rig type is set to legacy

I understand everyone saying hot reloading shouldn't be supported play mode but whatever is supported or not Unity shouldn't crash! Especially when the crash situation is one I accidentally run into dozens of times a day because I left the game running in the background.

Would also like to point out hot reloading is one of Unitys major workflow benefits and would be a real same to loose it. I once worked on game that took 30 mins to rebuild just to see a texture adjustment, the loss of productivity was immense.

Also for clarity, in this situation with rigged assets pre unity 5 the hot reload never worked seamlessly. All instances of the assets(usually monsters) were broken, the animations frozen, so had to respawn the monster to see the updates. I'm not expecting it to work better than that, just to not crash.

8. EiknarF

EiknarF

Can anyone at unity confirm the bug report has the attached project files? If there are no files you have a bug or UX problem with the unity bug reporter.

9. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Bug looks good... but yes, can't see any QA people on it yet. Will prod them. Can you PM me your details so I can find your Pro serial number. This will help put it up the QA list.

10. EiknarF

EiknarF

Thanks for double checking it for me. I don't have pro unfortunately.

11. EiknarF

EiknarF

This still happens, all the time.

12. EiknarF

EiknarF

Please fix this.