Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

World Building EasyRoads3D v3 - the upcoming new road system

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by raoul, Feb 19, 2014.

1. raoul

raoul

Hi MrIntel,

V3 includes a scripting API that works both at runtime as in the Unity editor. You can use this to create roads through script. The beta package includes a runtime example scene.

You can use a mesh instead of the terrain but you will lose the terrain deformation features. Instead you can snap the road to the terrain but obviously this will require a smooth terrain with no abrupt height changes near your roads.

Thanks,
    Raoul

2. raoul

raoul

Beta 8.0 is now available for download on our website

The download link is the same as before. Please contact us if you do not have this link yet and if you do have an asset store EasyRoads3D Pro license.

- This update includes Undo / Redo for the scene view functionality. Please check the Known Issues section in the docs if something fails, especially for Undo / Redo operations deeper in the Undo stack.

- This update also includes optimizations for procedural side objects. Please rebuild existing procedural side objects in the Side Object Manager if you notice issues and try: General Settings > Scene Settings > Rebuild Road Network.

For the full release info please check the Release Notes section in the docs:

Important: This update will upgrade the road network in existing scenes. This should work just fine, but please backup your project before importing the update, just in case.

The asset store update will be submitted today, approval by the asset store team will take up to a week..

Thanks,

Raoul

cygnusprojects likes this.
  3. Droefkalkoen

Droefkalkoen

Hello all,

Yesterday I purchased EasyRoads 3D Pro from the asset store and have been working with the included v3 beta. First off: great package, amazing tools. But it appears I'm unable to add side objects, as the menu 'Side object status' is collapsed and cannot be expanded for some reason. Is this a known bug?

Also, if I understand the information in this thread correctly, there is a newer beta that can be gotten through a download link? Could I also get access?

Thanks in advance!

4. raoul

raoul

Hi Droefkalkoen,

Thank you for the compliments!

Indeed "Side Object Status" for the selected road not unfolding is a 7.7.3 bug, which is fixed in the latest 8.0 release.

I will send you the download link from our website (the asset store version needs to be improved first). Could you email me, or send a PM with your email address and asset store invoice number?

The previous page also includes a fix for that issue.

Thanks,
    Raoul

5. mikko_to

mikko_to

Hi raoul,

Once more, thanks for an excellent product, it's fun just to toy with it! Couple of questions:

1) In V2 there was a feature to add bumps to the road. Is this also possible in V3, or will this be implemented? It would be great if that could be controlled per-marker, so that bumpiness could be altered along with terrain roughness.

2) Is there a tutorial / guidance how to build those walls for cliffs, as mentioned in the first post for beta 6 feature?

3) Any idea why for some terrain materials / textures the road seems to "float" an inch or so? It prevents shadow casting and objects clearly sink into the road. At least dirt road seems to behave like this.
    caption.png
    But, if the material / texture is changed to some other (here race track material), it works well:
    caption2.png

6. raoul

raoul

Hi mikko_to,

Many thanks, glad to hear you like it!

1) That is indeed not yet added yet because it requires subdivisions which kinda conflicts at the moment with dynamic crossings. It wil be added in a future release. At this moment this could also be done through some custom scripts together with custom prefabs if you need crossings.

2) Do you mean this, http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/ea...g-new-road-system.229327/page-50#post-2712437 ? On the same page you will find more info, note that beta 8.0 is required for this. The final demo project will have various examples, including shaders.

3) That is probably caused by the offset on the shaders that come with the package. It can have that side effect depending on your cam angles. You can try lowering the Offset values more towards 0 in the specific shader. Alternatively you could use similar offset values on your car shader or you could use the standard unity shaders without an offset and raise the road network a little bit higher above the terrain.

Regarding shadow casting, you will notice offset issues on projectors (which is fixed by using a similar offset on the projector shader) but not on shadow casting. Transparent shaders unfortunately still do not receive shadows in Unity, try the standard Unity shader. The transparent Cutout version does receive shadows.

Thanks,
    Raoul

7. mikko_to

mikko_to

Thanks for the reply!

1) Great, eagerly waiting for that feature! If bumpiness could be controlled per-marker, current crossings would be enough (bumpy dirt road merging to paved road) and bumpiness would only start after the crossing prefab. Anyhow, awesome if you are planning to implement this!

2) Yes, that's exactly what I meant! I'll wait when beta 8 is available in asset store and try it out then. Thanks!

3) Ok, that explains a lot. I'll tweak my project and try to find suitable settings. Thanks for the guidance!

Br,
    Mikko

8. raoul

raoul

Hi mikko_to,

2) You can in fact already set this up, everything works fine in Edit Mode. But in Build Mode vertices will also snap to the adjusted terrain shape, that is fixed in beta 8.0.

Thanks,
    Raoul

9. jktipertamina

jktipertamina

HI Raoul, I have purchased the Easyroads3D Pro, and I think its a good assets for road modeling. For a particular project I need to have version 2.5.5, can you please advice on best way to do this? is there a website to download older version.
    This is quite an important phase of the project, your help is highly appreciated.

regards
    Jaka

10. raoul

raoul

Hi Jaka,

2.5.5 is Unity 4, is that why you need it? Because it won't work on Unity 5.

Or is this related to a specific terrain system on the asset store having implemented support for EasyRoads3D but only for that version? It is very much recommended to switch to v3, v3 includes a scripting API to generate roads from code. I am quite sure there must be a way to get that to work.

Thanks,
    Raoul

11. SgtLame

SgtLame

Hi everyone,

I just got EasyRoads V3, and it's utterly great!
    There's just one thing I couldn't do so far: Instead of setting a distance between mesh side objects , I would like to set them up so there is only one side objet per marker. I guess this is possible, but I can't find how to do it.
    Thanks for any help!

12. raoul

raoul

Hi ceyssette,

Thank you!

There is indeed no option for one side object instance per marker. What type of situation is this? I mean, if it is something that could be useful in general I can always implement it.

Otherwise, this could probably be done through the API, get the marker positions and instantiate the specific source object accordingly, alternatively at a specific offset from the center of the road.

Thanks,
    Raoul

13. SgtLame

SgtLame

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  14. raoul

raoul

Electricity poles can be done using the procedural side object type, you can find an example in the main demo scene.

In your first post you mentioned that you want to have only one side object per marker, what exactly do you mean with that? Should the poles be laid out so a new pole starts exactly at the marker position and should all other poles be distributed evenly up to the next marker?

Thanks,
    Raoul

15. SgtLame

SgtLame

Hi again,

I'm having trouble building walls:
    - I can't find how to close endings, despite my trials with the start and end objects parameters
    Edit: forget it, I found out how to do it (I use quads, please tell me if this is a wrong way)
    - I can't get textures to follow the wall direction, they are rotated 90 degrees

You can take a look at the screenshot below for example.

Any ideas? :)

Edit: just saw your post, Raoul: What I mean is that there should be a pole at each marker position, and no pole between markers

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  16. raoul

raoul

Hi ceyssette,

- That is the shape type of side object. It doesn't close start / endings by itself. You can use the Start / Connection / End objects in the Inspector for that. Alternatively, you may want to check the set up of the barrier procedural side object type examples in the main demo scene, very similar to your screenshot. These side objects have the start / end segments as part of the source mesh. In the Mesh Editor window you can split the source mesh in Start / middle / end segments.

- Rotate the texture 90 degrees :)

Regarding the electricity poles, can you give a clear example? I cannot see how you can create a powerline system with only poles at marker positions. It will look irregular, or is that what you are after?

Thanks,
    Raoul

17. SgtLame

SgtLame

Thanks for your answers Raoul!

Regarding the poles, here is an example attached.
    Yes, it is irregular and yes, this is what I'm looking for :)

Attached Files:

18. raoul

raoul

Are those electricity poles added using a separate object marked as "Side Object" (no road)?

- In the image below the Road resolution is set to 40 (stay below 50)

- The Spline Controllers for the markers are set to StraightXZ

- In the Side Object Manager "Clamp to Road Geometry" is on. Each segment will match the road geometry which will match the marker positions by using the higher road resolution value

So this will work as long as distances between markers are smaller then max 50.

Will that work?

Thanks,
    Raoul

19. SgtLame

SgtLame

Hi Raoul,

I couldn't make your solution work, until I figured poles should be marked as start, connection and end objects.
    now it works, even above the 50m distance!

Clipboard03.jpg

thanks a lot!

20. raoul

raoul

Glad to hear you got that working!

Regarding the 50m limit, if you see warnings or notice other issues it will probably be related to this value being to high.

Yes, for this type of side object where the bounding box of the geometry that covers the full distance (the wires) intersects with the bounding box of start / end / connection segments (the pole) it is recommended to split the object. In this case, have the wires created as procedural geometry and add the poles as Start, Connection and End objects.

This will also allow you to "connect" several objects. For scene instances you can deactivate Start/ End objects. This way you can connect the start or end of a new instance to another instance where both visually share the same pole.

Thanks,
    Raoul

21. jktipertamina

jktipertamina

Yes, its a terrain asset : Important for EasyRoads: supports only Easy Roads3D v2.5.5. When using EasyRoads another version, you get a compilation error. This happens because Easy Roads has obfuscated code. Support Easy Roads in the current version is left for compatibility. In future versions, it will be removed. If someday EasyRoads will be delivered in source code, we again add support.

My main objective is to auto generate roads from OSM, I tried the import feature from EasyRoads but it will not correctly follow the elevation. Can you give suggestion please.. and yes I dont want to use Unity 4.

Regards
    Jaka

22. raoul

raoul

Hi Jaka,

Even for v2 we have version independent scripts available that can create roads from code.

As mentioned v3 includes a scripting API which makes this a lot easier. You can create a road with two lines of code. Just like other terrain systems, the developers of that particular terrain asset can add support without any issues.

I am not sure how this is used but if you do have access to the road data (array of Vector3) you can easily add this yourself as well. The runtime scene in the beta package includes an example of this and if you need more help I can provide additional info.

Edit: Which elevation are you referring at? Since this usually involves a Unity terrain object, the road markers are snapped to the terrain when using the built-in OSM data import feature.

Thanks,
    Raoul

23. sheffieldlad

sheffieldlad

Hi.
    Does the V3 Beta currently support creating road networks across multiple terrains?

24. raoul

raoul

Hi sheffieldlad,

Yes, it does. You can update all terrains at once or by terrain which is more efficient during development and testing specific areas.

Thanks,
    Raoul

25. blackant

blackant

i have 3 errors when i import easyRoads3D to my project

Assets/EasyRoads3D/Editor/RoadObjectEditorScript.js(1343,1): BCE0049: Expression 'go' cannot be assigned to.
    Assets/EasyRoads3D/Editor/RoadObjectEditorScript.js(1488,1): BCE0049: Expression 'go' cannot be assigned to.
    Assets/EasyRoads3D/Editor/RoadObjectEditorScript.js(1495,11): BCE0017: The best overload for the method 'RoadObjectEditorScript.OQCQDCQQQQ(String, UnityEngine.Transform, EasyRoads3D.ODODDQQO, int, RoadObjectScript)' is not compatible with the argument list '(String, System.Type, EasyRoads3D.ODODDQQO, Object, Object)'.

26. raoul

raoul

Hi blackant,

Can you give more details, when do you get this error?

But the error is referring to RoadObjectEditorScript.js, that is v2.

This is the v3 thread, it is recommended to check the v3 beta which is part of the download as a separate unityPackage, you can find it in /Assets/EasyRoads3D/. Most people use v3.

If you decide to import it and you want a clean v3 folder, then please first remove all other v2 assets inside /Assets/EasyRoads3D/

Thanks,
    Raoul

27. blackant

blackant

thanks i fund, i deleted v2 and installed v3 , i'm on unity 5.
    now it works

28. raoul

raoul

Ok, I will double check v2 anyway but the latest upload doesn't include any changes that could be related to that error message so I am not sure what you did that resulted in that error.

Let me know if you have questions related to v3.

Thanks,
    Raoul

29. SgtLame

SgtLame

Hi everyone,

Is it possible to call EasyRoads3d methods in the editor? What I mean is that I need to import text files containing 3d coordinates, and I'd like to write a script that will read such a file (no problem with that) and will create roads and markers based on those coordinates.
    Is this possible?

Cheers

30. raoul

raoul

Hi ceyssette,

That works the same as the runtime example script:

Code (csharp):
    1. ERRoadNetwork roadNetwork = new ERRoadNetwork();
    This will create a reference to the existing road network object in the hierarchy. /Assets/EasyRoads3D/scripts/runtimeScript.cs includes code examples for creating the roads.

Code (csharp):
    1. roadNetwork CreateRoad(string name, Vector3[] markers)
    3. or
    5. roadNetwork.CreateRoad(string name, ERRoadType type, Vector3[] markers)
    http://unityterraintools.com/EasyRoads3D/v3/html/scriptingAPI.html

Thanks,
    Raoul

31. SgtLame

SgtLame

Awesome, thanks Raoul!

32. ezzy2001

ezzy2001

Hi Raoul,

I want to make this a "custom connection prefabs"

But that does not seem to mesh in Prefab Editor.

Attached Files:

33. raoul

raoul

Hi ezzy2001,

I haven't tried a prefab like that myself, but I cannot see why that wouldn't work.

It is not 100% clearly visible, is the geometry "closed" at the start/end? In that case it will not be possible to add connections, is that the problem? For custom prefabs like this you can use the highway overpass prefabs as an example.

If you want you can send the model to me so I can test myself.

Loopings will be added to the dynamic connection system somewhere in v3.x, code is partially ready but needs to be implemented in the system.

Thanks,
    Raoul

34. jimmikaelkael

jimmikaelkael

Hi @raoul,

I've bought the pro version and tried v3 beta8 recently and I have to say that all the new features are really promising.

One thing I'm missing (unless I'm doing things in the wrong way) is the ability to control side objects with an offset (0..1) and length (0..1) for each marker. For example I'm trying to add curbs in some places and I want to control exactly where it starts and where it stops for a specific marker.

If there's already a way to do this please let me know :), otherwise adding such feature would be very useful.

35. Zireael07

Zireael07

That's brilliant - I've been creating the roads at runtime while I could definitely create them in editor - I am doing the same read-coordinates-from file thing ceyssete does :)

raoul likes this.
  36. raoul

raoul

Hi jimmikaelkael,

Thank you :)

It seems you want to check the Start / End Offset controls in the Inspector (Side Object section below the marker controls) which will be active for markers that are either the first marker of a segment where this side object is active, or the last marker of this segment. The H key toggles on/off Scene View handles to control this offset.

Thanks,
    Raoul

jimmikaelkael likes this.
  37. jimmikaelkael

jimmikaelkael

Seems I was looking in the wrong section, sorry for the confusion and thank you very much for this really quick support! ;)

38. SgtLame

SgtLame

Hi guys,

I build some "fences" side objects using shape objects. Everything works fine:

clipboard1.jpg

I use the following code to do the same through scripting:

Code (CSharp):
    1. roadNetwork = new ERRoadNetwork ();  
    2. ERRoad road = roadNetwork.CreateRoad("MY_FENCE", roadNetwork.GetRoadTypeByName("MY_FENCE"));
    3. for (int i = 0; i < markers.Count; i++) {
    4.     road.AddMarker (markers [i]);
    5.     road.SetMarkerControlType (i, ERMarkerControlType.StraightXZ);
    6. }
    Unfortunately, there are two problems with the result:
    1) the fence is built above the terrain

Clipboard02.jpg

2) the fence is not snapped to the terrain (despite the "snap to terrain" parameter being checked). You can tell by raising the terrain to the 0 level, see screencap below:

Clipboard03.jpg
    When I manually check the instanciated road parameters, the "snap to terrain" box is not set, though it is in the side object parameters. If I check the box, it snaps to the terrain correctly.

I tried to force the snapping by adding the following code, but it doesn't do anything.

Code (CSharp):
    2. road.SnapToTerrain(true);
    Any ideas about what's happening? :)

39. raoul

raoul

Hi ceyssette,

Since this is a side object only and no road is visible, I assume you marked this "road" type as "Side Object" in the road type settings? In that case, if "Snap to Terrain" for that side object is switched on then regardless, the road setting "Snap to Terrain" the object should snap to the terrain. I just tested this for both Procedural Side Object types and Shape type of Side Objects.

But indeed, "Snap to Terrain" for the road according the road types settings is currently not done when creating the road with code through the API. I just added this. If you want you can email me so I can send you an update to see how this works for you.

Code (csharp):
    1. road.SnapToTerrain(true);
    This should probably be renamed. It was added upon request. What it does is, remove the terrain deformation function for this road and instead snap the road vertices to the terrain which could be useful for smooth terrains without abrupt height differences.

Thanks,
    Raoul

40. SgtLame

SgtLame

Absolutely.

Works for me too. This is the expected behavior anyway, right?

Thanks a lot, I'm sending you an email right away![/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

41. raoul

raoul

Hi ceyssette,

Yes, side objects with "Snap to Terrain" on will always snap to the terrain, certainly in Build Mode after the terrain has been adjusted to the road shape.

Thanks,
    Raoul.

42. Marco-Sperling

Marco-Sperling

@raoul any plans to add a snap to grid functionality to EasyRoads in the near future? That would be very helpful especially for creating rectangular street layouts with clearly defined sizes for buildings surrounded by roads.
    Also helpful: local grids that could be arbirtrarily rotated yet still serve as snapping guides for markers.

43. raoul

raoul

Hi Marco,

Yes, that is on the list. I will add the local grids suggestion to it.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Marco-Sperling likes this.
  44. jimmikaelkael

jimmikaelkael

Is there any way to get per marker indents > 30 meters in the latest beta ?
    I'm trying to get something like 50 meters on some markers but seems the max is 30...

45. raoul

raoul

Hi jimmikaelkael,

I will increase the maximum to 50.

In generally I would think a max of 30 should be sufficient. I can see that you may want to extend that specific road height on the terrain a little bit further in some particular situations. For now this can also easily be achieved with the terrain Paint Height tool by sampling the new terrain height first .

Do you need this on both sides of the road? In that case, a workaround could be to set that indent value temporarily as the Min Indent size in General Settings > Scene Settings. Select the specific marker, the indent values should automatically update for that marker to the new value regardless the max available size in the Inspector. Make sure to change the Min Indent value in General Settings > Scene Settings back to the original value afterwards.

Thanks,
    Raoul

46. jimmikaelkael

jimmikaelkael

Nice tips ;) Yeah I can do as suggested for now with the terrain height tool, in fact I needed it on one specific marker side. That will be a nice addition for future releases!
    Thank you very much for support.

raoul likes this.
  47. Fr2

Fr2

Hi Raoul,

I'm getting some strange behaviour with the latest v3 beta 8.0 on my mac:

New Unity project > import "EasyRoads3D v3 Beta 8.0.Unity5.unitypackage" from the Asset Store > Import all

When I add a new road (default road) the placement of markers is quite a distance from where I click in all axis:

upload_2016-9-3_18-14-11.png

The square above is an empty terrain. I tried adding a road to the terrain, but the road is placed quite a distance from the actual terrain (in the pic above the road is quite a height above and to the left of the terrain).

If I follow exactly the same procedure using my Windows laptop, the road is placed correctly.

I've got a feeling this might be something to do with Unity on my mac, but I've tried reverting to factory settings (Layout > Revert Factory Settings) but still the same problem.

The version of Unity is 5.4.0f3.

Any ideas? I might try re-installing Unity to rule out anything local.

Edit: I tried uninstalling and re-installing Unity, and removing all local preferences, but I still see the problem. Might be something to do with the fact that the latest unity 5.4 supports "retina" displays on the mac which is the only thing which could be causing the marker placement offset (it's the only thing I can think of just now)

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  48. raoul

raoul

Hi Fr2,

That is indeed a bug related to Unity 5.4 on Mac, although we ourselves have not been able to recreate it, it seems indeed to be related to retina display.

But this has been fixed with the help of other users who reported this. So this will work again in the next beta 8.1 release. If you need it urgently you can contact me by email or PM and I will send you a fix.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  49. Fr2

Fr2

Hi Raoul,

OK thanks for your quick response - will wait for the next 8.1 beta update.

50. jimmikaelkael

jimmikaelkael

I still have this problem in beta8.0 with botj concrete side object types. Any hint to fix it ?

Attached Files: