Search Unity

World Building EasyRoads3D v3 - the upcoming new road system

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by raoul, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Mayureshete

Mayureshete

using V3 beta i have Guard rail side object both left and right, but they dnt have colliders, any help on this...

2. raoul

raoul

Hi Mayureshete,

You can control this in the Side Object Manager, second tab from the right in the Inspector. Select the specific side object from the dropdown. Further below you will see options to activate Mesh Colliders or Box Colliders for that side object.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Mayureshete likes this.
  3. ksam2

ksam2

I have a request. I'm using RTP and normal map as texture method! so I can't edit and build my roads till I'm on the end of level design! so because of that I have a request ...

There is two with side beside roads (which used as preview to attach terrain to road) those side are totally with and I can't change it's color. i need to make them darker! can you please put a material for that?

4. baccck

baccck

I keep trying to register my Easy Roads but the error message reads "Could not connect to server! Please try again. If the problem persists you may try again later."

5. raoul

raoul

Hi ksam2,

I am having difficulties understanding what you actually need from me? You need a darker material for a specific side object wich is currently totally white?

Which side objects are you referring at? Materials are materials, EasyRoads3D does not interfere with that. What problem do you have with making the material darker? The fastest way is to use a darker Albedo Color assuming you are using the Unity standard shader on that specific material.

Thanks,
    Raoul

6. raoul

raoul

Hi baccck,

There doesn't seem to be an issue with the server. Do you still have a problem with this. Could it be that the licenske key was misstyped, that results in the same error message.

Thanks,
    Raoul

7. ksam2

ksam2

I mean this white section. I need to make it darker

8. raoul

raoul

Hi ksam2,

Those white surfaces are temporary objects only, optionally, visible in Edit Mode to visualize how the terrain will be deformed. They disappear when switching to Build Mode.

You can disable them in General Settings > Scene Settings > Hide Whte Surfaces

If you want to change the color, please look here:

/Assets/EasyRoads3D/Resources/Materials/surfaceMaterial

Thanks,
    Raoul

ksam2 likes this.
  9. ksam2

ksam2

Thank you, I know about that but I don't want to build my roads for now ...
    anyway. it solved by changing surfaceMaterial color

raoul likes this.
  10. PARK-JIN-HONG

PARK-JIN-HONG

Hi raoul,

I wanted to register serial key, but I got "There was a problem with your registration. Only 2 machines supported per license!".
    I just changed my computer. so I tried to find "return license" at old computer, but I can't...
    Can you reset my licenses?

11. raoul

raoul

Hi PARK JIN HONG,

I will reset your installs but could you please contact me by email or PM with your license key number in order to be sure the correct account is reset.

Thank you,
    Raoul

12. maaboo

maaboo

Hi! I'm thinking about purchasing your great product, but I don't see any video or manual about how to make custom road prefab (only crossings). Is that possible?

13. raoul

raoul

Hi maaboo,

Thank you! What type of road would you like to make? The system works in a way that when you pull out new roads from a crossing connection, the road will inherit the shape of that connection. At some point you will probably be able to create road shapes directly but meanwhile you can use this system to do that. The advantage is that you can create customized road networks this way.

Thanks,
    Raoul

14. jovomo

jovomo

Here on the site from raoul are videos and manuals. http://www.unityterraintools.com/
    until now I have the videos not considered .
    it is possible to generate a lane trought a forrest?

I got it!

15. raoul

raoul

Hi jovomo,

The videos on the website are still the v2 videos. You will find some v3 videos in the first post of this thread and the Quick Start section in the manual includes a list of all the currently available provisional v3 videos, http://unityterraintools.com/EasyRoads3D/v3/html/quick_start.html

I can't think of any issues with generating a lane through a forest, that should be possible. But it is always easier to answer that when reference images are included so I have a clear idea what you want to do.

Thanks,
    Raoul

16. maaboo

maaboo

I mean something like this:
    extents.png
    The last one is the first + crossing. It's just near the place where I live.

17. raoul

raoul

Hi Maboo,

Those are segments on a road that are different, so that is actually "custom crossing / connection prefabs" related.

Built-in options for parking lots is on the list but when it comes to roads, there are so many different situations. It is impossible to implement everything at once, hence the custom crossing / connection system. You can create these segments in a modelling app and import them into the system.

If the size of these parking lots will be different, you can create this in a way that the custom prefab only covers the change in the road shape. The parking lot area will be a new road segment connected to another "end parking lot" segment where the road continues with the original road shape.

Thanks,
    Raoul

18. maaboo

maaboo

If you will I could think about how to present them. At a glance parking lots in my case are just dead-end T-crossroads with V or T shape. So you could add control points to increase length and depth.

Could you provide a sample in FBX for road section to make parking lots segments I mentioned above? Unfortunately I'm not too savvy with Unity and 3D modeling to make them from scratch and without any working sample. If I succeed you can add them at least as temporary workaround.

What about road width expansion? How can I make road wider with smooth transition in certain place?

19. raoul

raoul

I can make an example and include it in the demo project. But also with this there are many different situations. What should this look like in terms of texturing etc.?

The same applies to expanding the road width. What should this visually look like?

You can change the road shape though by manipulating node positions. This is activated by hitting the N key. You will see white handles at node positions for each marker. You can change the position for each node directly in Scene View and also in the Inspector.

Thanks,
    Raoul

20. maaboo

maaboo

I'm not sure I understand what problems are you talking about. Stretching distortions? Do roads have UV coords? (AFAIK sidewalks do).

I want this function implemented. If I can help I'm ready.

At least you can make an example which I can play with in sandbox.

21. f1b0n4cc1

f1b0n4cc1

hello Raoul
    is new version bugs ? talking about 7.6

When i choose road network , it does not shows road material and also generating erros , sometimes i even can not use unity. I took screenshot if it helps

Attached Files:

• er.jpg
      er.jpg
      File size:
      469.8 KB
      Views:
  22. raoul

raoul

Hi maaboo,

In general a mesh always has UV coords. I was referring to road width changes involving lane changes. If you simply need width changes than please follow the approach described in my previous post.

I will add a parking lot example similar to what you posted to the demo project but I would recommend to look into modelling. In terms of modelling roads / sidewalks etc. you can also take the current custom prefabs in the package as an references.

Thanks,
    Raoul

23. raoul

raoul

Hello f1b0n4cc1,

The attached screenshot looks like a road created with v2. How are you importing the package?

In order to have the v3 beta part of the asset store package it needs to be included as a separate package. So when you download the package, the v2 assets are imported with the v3 beta as a separate unityPackage.

To use the v3 beta in an existing v3 project it is recommended to download the package in a temporary project and import the v3 beta unityPackage afterwards in your "real" project. If this is your first import you can also simply remove all assets apart from the v3 beta package after the download finished and than import the v3 beta.

And please always backup your project first before importing a package update :)

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  24. f1b0n4cc1

f1b0n4cc1

i clicked update in easyroads3d from asset store. If it is v2 than i am happy :) because i was learning to use V3 and suddenly it came strange. Yes , of course package include EasyRoads3D v3 Beta 7.6 , i will install it now. Thank you to let me know about it , i also want to celebrate you for this wonderful product , keep making easyroads3d best

25. raoul

raoul

Thank you, glad you like it!

Yes, it is v2 because the v2 markers are visible. In v3 markers are currently displayed using blue sphere handles. The road object in the hierarchy confirms that. In v3 road objects are part of the main Road Network gameobject.

Regarding the error messages you posted, if this is an existing v2 project, the error messages are referring to objects not part of the v2 package itself. It is hard to comment on that without further info, are these perhaps side objects?

Thanks,
    Raoul

26. jdraper3

jdraper3

I just updated to the 7.6 beta, and I am getting an exception when creating a road network, deleting one, or building the terrain: "The object of type 'ERModularBase' has been destroyed but you are still trying to access it."

The road doesn't conform to the terrain, and nothing involving the terrain (heightmap, trees, etc) gets updated when building. Here is a screen:

ezr1.png

27. raoul

raoul

Hello jdraper3,

That is a known error when you remove the road network from your scene. I have to look into that but by itself, it is harmless.

I have never seen or heard that this error also appears when creating a new Road Network, neither when building the final road network and updating the terrain. Can you test/confirm that this indeed happens for you?

Regarding the terrain not being updated. Could you check the road settings in Edit Mode, is "Terrain Deformation" active? This was added recently because sometimes you do not want a road to affect the terrain, like highway overpasses or bridge segments that cover an entire road object.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  28. jdraper3

jdraper3

That makes sense - I didn't notice the new setting somehow. I saw the exception in the console and just thought that it must be related.

I did confirm that the message only appears when I delete the road network - I thought it was showing up more often, but it's not.

So, everything is good as of now - thanks!

raoul likes this.
  29. f1b0n4cc1

f1b0n4cc1

i was just trying new version of easyroads3d ( 7.6 ) in a blank project , but as you mentioned i added v2 . I really dont remember i added road or sideobject . I am in new project now.

Maybe many people asked you same question but , can you tell please how can we undo something we did on easyroads ?

ctrl+z etc not working and usually i am loosing works i do in long time when i click ctrl+z etc.

In an example ,when i move a marker by clicking W button t a wrong direction etc , i can not move it back to original XYZ coordinates by trying undo.

Is there a way to make undo or it is not possible with easyroads ?

30. raoul

raoul

Hi f1b0n4cc1,

Undo is not something that works out of the box in Unity. It is partially implemented, for example in the Side Objects Manager tab.

Adding the full v3 feature set has had priority during the development but I also started meanwhile looking into adding Undo functionality to other areas of the tool and to what extend the Unity Undo class can be used. So far so good, but I still have to check how this will work for the Scene View functionality since that is all custom build.

Thanks,
    Raoul

31. jdraper3

jdraper3

I haven't been able to find any info on this, but are there issues in Unity with lighting/shadowing on big objects? For some reason, I get a huge dark spot on my road that moves with the camera perspective and changes with the directional light rotation.

32. Studio-Technology-Developpment

Studio-Technology-Developpment

hello raoul.
    for begin, very good job of your product.

question: what the version of unity, you recommend to use?
    i have lot problem with the last 5.3.4. (maybe me ;) )

intersection creator is very good (roundaround and T),
    But for create road (1 2 3 lanes with sidewalk) is not easy because i have not found in documentation the rules, with your example, the road is good on 0,0
    i create some meshes (verify the pivot, center on object) but in road creator prefab it's not to 0,0 (i can't move my road, maybe me).

sorry for my language not perfect, but i'm french (nobody is perfect)

another question: i have not received serial (maybe because i buy it on assetstore)??

thk

33. raoul

raoul

Hello jdraper3,

What is your lighting set up? Is this related to Realtime, Mixed, Baked? It looks like Realtime, I have not seen that happen before. Are you able to track down what is causing this (in a duplicated scene) by removing objects?

And what do you mean with big objects? Longer roads?

Thanks,
    Raoul

34. raoul

raoul

Hi saintlol63,

Thank you!

What issues do you have? The latest 7.6 (not announced yet here on the forums) has an issue with connecting roads to a crossing (pulling out new roads from a crossing works fine). This is fixed in beta 7.6.1 pending approval since last Thursday.

1, 2, 3 lanes seems more related to the texture type. The final package will include more textures but you can also use your own materials.

Indeed you cannot move the road objects transform position, instead you move markers. If you want to move the complete road, all markers, you can hit the S key, this will select all markers of a road.

Yes, please send me an email (through out website, see signature for info) or a PM if you want a serial number.

Thanks,
    Raoul

35. Studio-Technology-Developpment

yes beta 7.6. ok i wait 7.6.1 ;)

i found my problem to create road to 0,0 (i think) more test neccessary.

thanks
    saintlol

36. raoul

raoul

Ok, otherwise please give a little bit more info because I am not entirely sure what you actually want to do regarding the 0,0

Thanks,
    Raoul

37. Studio-Technology-Developpment

in "open the custom prefab editor"
    pict1.jpg pict2.jpg

38. raoul

raoul

This is actually about creating Custom Connection prefabs from a source prefab/mesh.

Could you select the specific source prefab in the assets folder and check the transform position in the Inspector. Make sure it is positioned at (0, 0, 0). That should fix it.

Thanks,
    Raoul

39. Studio-Technology-Developpment

yes i verify
    but with cinema4d when i modify it, the pivot change,not unity , not you (why ???? cinema 4d i think)
    result the pivot is not correct.
    for more security i take mesh maker package on assetstore for correct this problem in editor (rapid solution).
    i have view, when i import object in cinema the pivot change, i modify (think the pivot not change), i save but with pivot incorrect.
    verify with 5 objects (your software 100% works for me for pivot).
    now i have a problem with the texture UV not correct (version 7.6).
    but i'm tired (not sleeping) maybe me....
    i received your email.
    you are very pro, like it.

see you soon

thank a lot
    saintlol

raoul likes this.
  40. raoul

raoul

Hi saintlol,

Are you exporting an object in the scene? In that case, the global coordinates are used. That indeed can also result in the pivot changes when exporting back into Unity.

In that case, objects can be exported for different reasons. At the moment the global coordinates are used to make sure the object will preserve its position in the scene when exporting back into Unity. I can add an option to save with local coordinates. Alternatively you can also center the object at (0,0,0) in cinema 4d if your intentions are to use it as a new custom connection prefab.

Ok, please let me know if you cannot resolve these UV issues.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
  41. maaboo

maaboo

I've prepared this sidewalk in Blender:

sidewalk-test-01.png

I have no idea what to import it into ER3D. I want to create new road type and use it as standalone side object.

Could you give me a direction?

42. raoul

raoul

Hi Maaboo,

Using sidewalks as a side object is possible but it will not interact well with crossings if you want these sidewalks on the crossings as well.

Therefor sidewalks are integrated in EasyRoads3D. This way you can activate them for dynamic crossings, they will be activated on connected roads accordingly. You can customize the shape of the sidewalks and assign your own material.

To get an idea of how everything works it is recommended to check the first sections of the manual and also watch the provisional videos listed in the Quick Start section, http://unityterraintools.com/EasyRoads3D/v3/html/quick_start.html

In this case the scene workflow video may help (activating/deactivating sidewalks starting at 3.10):

And "crossing options" (customizing sidewalks starting at 3.30)

Alternatively you can create your own custom connection prefabs with sidewalks part of the prefab:

If you still want to use your sidewalk model as a side object than you probably want to look into the Procedural side object type and use the "Clamp to Road Geometry" option. Let me know if you decide to go this way and need more info.

Hope this helps,
    Raoul

43. protopop

protopop

I had EasyRoads Pro and just released my game with it. So i decided to give v3beta a try.

At first i wasnt sure about the new workflow. But then wow! Having the road network makes more sense, and is so powerful and great for creative flow - i think you really thought this through.

I almost couldn't believe it when i realized i could basically turn my road network on and off - making a creative change and then back on again and voila!

It encouraged me to experiment even more. Before roads were kind of a commodity, a few here and there, now im able to lay down forest paths and test things out non destructively.

Thank you, and great work!

raoul and hopeful like this.
  44. maaboo

maaboo

I'm afraid I still don't understand how to create my custom prefab from scratch. What requirements are, what should I do step by step.

May be I disturb you too much but could you provide a tutorial for that? I can give you sample sidewalk mentioned above (and you may include it into the next release).

45. raoul

raoul

Thank you very much protopop!

I hope indeed the new workflow does make sense. It may take a little bit more time to get familiar with compared to v2 but everything is designed to optimize/speed up the actual road network creation.

Thanks again,
    Raoul

46. raoul

raoul

Hi Maboo,

Regarding the sidewalk, I think it is important to think out what you want to do with that. In my previous message I mentioned how sidewalks are integrated in the system, there is no deed to import your sidewalk mesh. You can simply customize the built-in sidewalks and assign your material, the second movie of my previous reply starting at 3.30.

In EasyRoads3D, custom prefabs (the 3rd video of my previous reply) are referred to as crossing / connection models you created in a modelling app. So they are not extensions to a road like sidewalks are, instead they act as connectors between roads.

You create for example a specific crossing model in your modelling app. Than you import it into the system through the Custom Prefab window and you assign connection areas. These prefabs will act the same as the dynamic built-in prefabs, you can connect roads and pull out new roads.

Is this more clear, or are you actually having issues to assign your sidewalk material to a crossing? Or do you not need crossings, just a road with a sidewalk? In that case, you can still assign your sidewalk material to the sidewalks on a crossing, instantiate that crossing, attach a road so the road shape adapts to the crossing connection and afterwards you remove the crossing. The sidewalks will still be part of the road.

Thanks,
    Raoul

47. szymonkosok

szymonkosok

Does anyone managed to integrate EasyRoads3D with UBER shader?

48. raoul

raoul

Hello szymonkosok,

Do you want to use the UBER shader on road materials?

What issues are you having with this?

I don't have experience with the UBER shader but the only thing I can think of that may become apparant when using the UBER shader instead of the default EasyRoads3D shaders is z-fighting with the terrain. The EasyRoads3D shaders use an offset (look for: Offset X,X where X represents a number like -5). You could add this to the UBER shader in a similar way as done in the EasyRoads3D shaders.

Alternatively you can try raising the road network a little bit higher above the terrain ("Raise" in Build Mode) depending on how hilly your terrains this could work just fine.

Thanks,
    Raoul

hopeful likes this.
  49. Miojon

Miojon

Hi, i'm looking forward to use Easy Roads on my mobile game. But i'm a little bit worried about performance, because the poly count that ER uses looks high ... is that indicated for mobile games?

50. Studio-Technology-Developpment

hello raoul
    sorry but 7.5.1 not works for me
    when i create custom prefab object is here (see in box upper right) but i can't show it ....
    (version 7.6 i show the meshes)
    i uninstall unity and reinstall it, create a new project empty
    import easyroad
    create a terrain
    and try
    a the first time, i think a configuration that i change
    i create a new project with 7.6 ,and the same test i show the meshes.
    i don't understand what is the problem?

Attached Files: