Search Unity

World Building EasyRoads3D v3 - the upcoming new road system

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by raoul, Feb 19, 2014.

1. sgtkoolaid

sgtkoolaid

great work gib. :p you just sold me on buying Easyroad :) good soundtrack choice by the way. love it.

gibmation likes this.
  2. sgtkoolaid

sgtkoolaid

finally bought it. sent you guys contact message for v3 can hardly wait to use it for my project.

3. Spy-Shifty

Spy-Shifty

Hi I can't say more to the freezing bug sorry... Maybe later more.

But I have a couple of weird things...

1. I added a Dyn Prefab -> Roundabout 4 connection...
    After I deleted one connection I got this error every time... and all time it is selected:

IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
    EasyRoads3Dv3.OCDQDCDQDQ.OQQDOODDCO (EasyRoads3Dv3.ERCrossingPrefabs scr)
    EasyRoads3Dv3.ERCrossingPrefabs.ODCCQCOQDC (Boolean ignorePriority)
    EasyRoads3Dv3Editor.QDOQDSQQDQODD.OnInspectorGUI ()
    UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.DrawEditor (UnityEditor.Editor editor, Int32 editorIndex, Boolean forceDirty, System.Boolean& showImportedObjectBarNext, UnityEngine.Rect& importedObjectBarRect, Boolean eyeDropperDirty) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorWindow.cs:1162)
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

2. Independent from above...
    I added a Dyn Prefab -> Roundabout 4 connection...
    If I change the position of Connection 1 (nothing else), this happens on value 1 - 6:

connection 0 cannot be created, move the position forward
    UnityEngine.Debug:Log(Object)
    EasyRoads3Dv3.ERRoundabouts:OQCODCDQQQ(Int32)
    EasyRoads3Dv3.ERRoundabouts:OCQOOCOOCO()
    EasyRoads3Dv3Editor.OCQCQDDQQC:OnInspectorGUI()

and nothing happens from value 8 - 13

3. And at least.
    I have created a custom crossing prefab. The mesh comes from Cinema 4D and is full connected (1 mesh)
    If I want to set the connection points the following message appears:

EasyRoads3Dv3 Alert: extracting edge vertices failed. Please check the manual and verify whether this mesh meets the requirements. Or email us for feedback.

and the appropriate mesh:
    20150803101751.jpg

Hope I can help you with this, to make your tool better :)

Kind regards,
    Spy

4. raoul

raoul

Hi Spy-Shifty,

Making changes to specific roundabout settings is one of the more tricky things at the moment, especially adding / moving connections or making the radius smaller can result in the errors/warnings you posted. The Troubleshooting page includes more info on this. In short. If you want to change a roundabout, it is best to remove all connections, set the radius/width and start adding connections. Adjusting roundabouts will be improved to make it more user friendly.

Regarding custom crossings, the new system (probably available tomorrow will have less restrictions then in the current beta). The current system expects all outer vertices to connect up to one vertex inwards, it is discussed in various posts in this thread. But I would recommend to wait with this and check it on the next beta.

Also, with regard to the mesh, I would extend both roads at the top, have the right one move more outwards because the connections are very close at the moment pointing almost in the same direction. This can result in wrong terrain deformation when height differences are involved.

By the way, a dynamic solution for that (highway exit roads / race track pit lanes) is the last thing to finish before the first public release, it is already partially functional.

Thanks,
    Raoul

5. Spy-Shifty

Spy-Shifty

Thx for the reply.
    I'm excited to see the new version of your tool :)

Spy

6. sgtkoolaid

sgtkoolaid

is there anyway to "repeat" textures such as sidewalks? If I decide to go from say 2 to 10 units or whatever arbitrary number I decide? If so where am I able to effect the UV so it tiles the sidewalk? I thus far have no way of knowing where and how to tile a uv so I can "widen" a sidewalk. Or is this a feature that hasn't been put in yet?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  7. raoul

raoul

Hi Spy-Shifty,

That last feature I mentioned will not be part of the update available later today. This week I will continue with improving bits and pieces and add some requests. After that, this last feature will be implemented.

Thanks,
    Raoul

8. raoul

raoul

Hi sgtkoolaid,

In v2 you can indeed control the texture tiling in the Inspector. This is not implemented yet in v3 but you can achieve the same effect by tweaking the tiling directly on the material.

Thanks,
    Raoul

9. sgtkoolaid

sgtkoolaid

doesn't really work. as it just stretches out the middle portion. no biggie I guess I will have to wait for these features to be put in I guess.

10. sgtkoolaid

sgtkoolaid

had a derp moment. didn't realize that unity loves to bring in new textures as sprite 2D UI with clamp enabled. so umn. yeah solved it. lol gonna be one of those days.

11. raoul

raoul

Hi sgtkoolaid,

I was already wondering whether I understood your question correctly as indeed the texture tiling option sounds like what you need.

Thanks,
    Raoul

12. raoul

raoul

Beta 6.7 can now be downloaded.

It includes major code changes to the custom crossing system. The update has been tested with the existing prefabs and all should work well but just in case, please backup your project before importing this update, certainly if you are using custom crossings.

Tomorrow I will prepare a video showing some of the new features.

Thanks,
    Raoul

13. Tinjaw

Tinjaw

I downloaded the earlier beta via a link provided in an email from you @raoul . What is the procedure to download the latest beta version?

14. raoul

raoul

Hi Tinjaw,

You can use the same link as before, it will start the 6.7 beta download.

Thanks,
    Raoul

15. raoul

raoul

Hi guys,

Here is a new video, showing the new custom crossings system in beta 6.7. Although visually it looks similar, there are some changes. You can now create new road types from crossing connections and assign road types to connections. This video also shows how you can customize crossing prefabs further.

Please check this page http://www.unityterraintools.com/v3_customobjects2.php for additonal info about what is going on in the video.

Thanks,
    Raoul

hakankaraduman and hopeful like this.
  16. JOKaija

JOKaija

Heh. Steering wheel turning opposite direction :)

17. jeffmorris1956

jeffmorris1956

Roads don't show up after shift-left clicking two points on the terrain. I have Unity 5.1.2p2 and EasyRoads V3 beta 6.7. How can I fix the problem?

18. raoul

raoul

Hi Jeff,

This should work just fine in beta 6.7. Do you mean, you can add markers (blue handles) but the road does not appear? In that case, can you open the main demo scene and try moving a marker, does the road update?

Do you get error messages?

Thanks,
    Raoul

19. Dok101

Dok101

Hey
    Im trying to create a river using Easy Roads 3D, but in the Road Objects Script it says there is no Material or Script available. I downloaded the water package from Unity Standard Assets but it doesn't show up as an option and both just say "None Available!"

Thanks

Dok

20. jeffmorris1956

jeffmorris1956

I tried the main demo scene and after trying to move one of the blue markers, I got this message:

GUI Window tries to begin rendering while something else has not finished rendering! Either you have a recursive OnGUI rendering, or previous OnGUI did not clean up properly.

When I tried to move the motorway, I can move the fences but not the road itself.

21. raoul

raoul

Hi Dok101,

First of all, this is the v3 beta thread. It sounds like your problem is related to v2, http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/ea...d-rivers-procedural-geometry-for-unity.82331/

The river tool in v2 is a bonus tool primarily intended to create the river surface and include the river bed in the terrain object. Indeed before Unity 5 it was possible to auto assign Unity water assets. Due to changes in Unity 5 this is no longer possible in the current version. But you can still assign the materials like you would do with water assets from for example the assets store. You have to assign the materials and probably scripts to the river object.

All this is simplified in v3, it doesn't include a dedicated river object but you can simulate it using side objects. The demo scene includes an example. You simply assign the water prefab you want to use on the river surface to the side object and it will be added to the river surface. Please send me a PM or email me if you like to try the v3 betas, it includes many new features.

Thanks,
    Raoul

22. raoul

raoul

Hi Jeff,

The GUI Window warning is an known warning. It is a GUI issue, I doubt it is the reason why the road doesn't appear.

Ok, so the fences update but the road doesn't. Did v3 work before on this computer, did anything change recently, OS related, Unity related?

I will send you an email with a script, that will probably fix the issue.

Thanks,
    Raoul

23. Tactics_IT

Tactics_IT

hey Raoul, by any chance are you planing on updating your road shaders to take advantage of the new PBR Standard Shader?

24. sgtkoolaid

sgtkoolaid

I get a weird intersecting problem when using anything other than easyroad shaders. when I use standard, so trhat I can use reflection probes (puddles) it gets all goofy. what can I do, other than raising the road manually to .1 or something.

Attached Files:

25. raoul

raoul

Hi CuriousV,

Yes, I will look into that before the public release. It should be fairly simple though for the standard diffuse shaders, all that is added is the line Offset X, X. The transparent shaders are a little bit more complicated. I will look into that.

Raoul

26. raoul

raoul

Hi sgtkoolaid,

I just replied to CuriousV regarding the Unity 5 standard shader, I will look into that. When using it just bear in mind which settings you use and make sure the objects do hold the required data, like tangents for bumpmapping etc. This also is something that needs more work on specific objects, road objects should be fine. As a test you can also try to export to .obj, reimport and have Unity apply the required data.

Thanks,
    Raoul

27. julianr

julianr

Purchased v2, some time back, finally getting around to using it.. please hook me up on the BETA :). I've PMd you.

28. raoul

raoul

Hi Julian,

I just replied to your PM!

Raoul

julianr likes this.
  29. sgtkoolaid

sgtkoolaid

I am using the default prefabs such as the default T crossing. but yeah let me know when this is dealt with. thank you.

30. sgtkoolaid

sgtkoolaid

wanted to state the road objects are the culprit currently. something about the standard shader or the mesh not playing nice for some reason as when I increase the height to .01 or higher it corrects itself. However when I uncheck the terrain so it doesn't show it seems to correct itself, but obviously I can't have the terrain not showing while "building". but either way I am confident you will get it corrected very soon. :) Also will there be a higher value added to the "width" of the side walks?? Right now it maxes out at 5 units. while nice, is still a wee bit "thin" for my project. I would like up to 10 or even 15 units at least. let me know if this is possible or something you can shoehorn in as a updated feature. With that said I am getting more familiar with things, and steadily getting easier thankfully, so I eagerly await new features for right now I will just focus on buildings for our level :) have a wonderful weekend.

31. sgtkoolaid

sgtkoolaid

got 528 of these when I attached a road to my T crossing. had to delete it.

found when this 1st bug happens I can't move or rotate with my mouse, if I use my mouse to rotate, it keeps spilling out this bug.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    EasyRoads3Dv3Editor.QDOQDSQQDQODD.OnSceneGUI ()
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:232)
    System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
    UnityEditor.SceneView.CallOnSceneGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:1986)
    UnityEditor.SceneView.HandleSelectionAndOnSceneGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:1351)
    UnityEditor.SceneView.OnGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:1187)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)

another bug

ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.
    Parameter name: index
    System.Collections.Generic.List`1[UnityEngine.Vector3].get_Item (Int32 index) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Collections.Generic/List.cs:633)
    EasyRoads3Dv3.ERModularRoad.OODOCQCQDD (Boolean ignorePrefabAlignment, Boolean forceAutoRotate)
    EasyRoads3Dv3.ODOOQQODQO.ODODDOCQDD (EasyRoads3Dv3.ERModularRoad scr, Vector3 OCCDDODCOO, EasyRoads3Dv3.ERCrossingPrefabs OQQCQCOCCC, Int32 targetElement, Boolean reverse, Boolean uvReverse, Boolean forceAutoRotate)
    EasyRoads3Dv3Editor.OCCCQQQQQO.OODDOCDQCC (Vector3 pos, Boolean OQOOCDQCQQ, UnityEngine.Event cEvent, EasyRoads3Dv3.ERModularBase scr, Boolean dragStageFlag)
    EasyRoads3Dv3Editor.OCCCQQQQQO.OnSceneGUI ()
    Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:232)
    System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
    UnityEditor.SceneView.CallOnSceneGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:1986)
    UnityEditor.SceneView.HandleSelectionAndOnSceneGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:1351)
    UnityEditor.SceneView.OnGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:1187)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
  32. sgtkoolaid

sgtkoolaid

another one I am getting

MissingReferenceException: The object of type 'ERModularBase' has been destroyed but you are still trying to access it.
    Your script should either check if it is null or you should not destroy the object.
    EasyRoads3Dv3Editor.OCCCQQQQQO.OnDestroy ()

33. raoul

raoul

Hi sgtkoolaid,

Yes, v3 is an entirely new system with many features and options. It is also recommended to go through the manual and watch the videos to get familiar of how things work etc. It will help getting the most out of it

I will increase the max size for side walks.

Regarding the standard shader, I will look into that in general, have it updated similar to the current EasyRoads3D shaders. However in order to check your specific situation (the screenshot) I will need full details, ideally an example project.

Regarding your other post, the last error is a known error, it happens after deleting the main Road Network object, is that correct? I will look into that error, but it is harmless.

The other two are more difficult especially because you mention these errors happen after a very standard action, connection a road to a T Crossing. We have done that literally hundreds of times, could you give more feedback on this? Does this always happen, on every road type and every crossing (T-Crossing?) you instantiate in the scene. Can you provide steps to reproduce this?

Error message tby themselves usually do not tell much, the steps that result in these errors usually are important.

Thanks,
    Raoul

34. sgtkoolaid

sgtkoolaid

hey Raoul well I finally corrected the issue with the errors. I made sure to use 'default" road sections whenever I made a wider T crossing or X crossing. I noticed that using a wider preset road section lead to the error attaching to the adjusted T or X crossing. by using the default road and then attaching it, it then adjusted the values to match the T or X crossing properly. So that just leaves the Standard shader issue, which seems to turn black, or white I can send you a package of my project level with the roads, and the shader and texture placed in so you can see it directly. I will pm you a link to my dropbox later today.

35. kloogens

kloogens

Can anyone please tell me how to delete or insert a marker in V3?

Edit. Okay figured out Inserting a marker. The instructions say use the "P" key. That is not correct. The "I" key inserts. Thought I tried that but I guess not.

36. raoul

raoul

Hi sgtkoolaid,

When a road is connected to a crossing it will inherit the connection settings of that crossing. So creating the road as a "default" road type should not matter. I haven't heard of issues with that before.

Thank you for preparing a download for me, hopefully I can test this bit as well in your project.

Raoul

37. raoul

raoul

Hi Kloogens,

Please have a look at the Shortcuts & Scene Operations section in the manual:

Delete: Shift + R
    Insert: i + click

Thanks,
    Raoul

38. gibmation

gibmation

Yes has now been corrected thanks.

39. Tactics_IT

Tactics_IT

when creating roads, i keep getting these errors when connecting them to custom intersections.

first one

This bug was triggered
    UnityEngine.Debug:Log(Object)
    EasyRoads3Dv3Editor.OCCCQQQQQO:ODODOCOCQO(Vector3, ERModularBase)
    EasyRoads3Dv3Editor.OCCCQQQQQO:OODDOCDQCC(Vector3, Boolean, Event, ERModularBase, Boolean)
    EasyRoads3Dv3Editor.OCCCQQQQQO:OnSceneGUI()

second one

EasyRoads3Dv3Editor.OCCCQQQQQO.ODODOCOCQO (Vector3 pos, EasyRoads3Dv3.ERModularBase baseScript)
    EasyRoads3Dv3Editor.OCCCQQQQQO.OODDOCDQCC (Vector3 pos, Boolean OQOOCDQCQQ, UnityEngine.Event cEvent, EasyRoads3Dv3.ERModularBase scr, Boolean dragStageFlag)
    UnityEditor.SceneView.CallOnSceneGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:1987)
    UnityEditor.SceneView.HandleSelectionAndOnSceneGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:1352)
    UnityEditor.SceneView.OnGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:1188)

third one

EasyRoads3Dv3Editor.OCCCQQQQQO.OCDQQCQDOO ()
    UnityEditor.SceneView.CallOnSceneGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:1987)
    UnityEditor.SceneView.HandleSelectionAndOnSceneGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:1352)
    UnityEditor.SceneView.OnGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:1188)

im using 6.7

40. raoul

raoul

Hi CuriousV,

I just double checked this for beta 6.7 in the main demo scene part of the package using the custom intersections that come with the package. Connecting roads to and pulling out new roads from all custom intersections works without errors.

Can you provide more info? Which crossings / roads are involved and does this indeed always happen?

Does this happen with custom intersections part of the package? Or custom intersections you created yourself?

Could you provide steps to recreate this or ideally send me a project (stripped down to terrain and road network only if you want) so I can have a look at it?

Thanks,
    Raoul

41. raoul

raoul

Hi sgtkoolaid,

I looked at your project. It is indeed z-fighting what you see in that screenshot. as soon as I raise the road network to 0.01 or when disabling the terrain object all looks good.

Regarding the roads turning black when selecting the standard shader, the standard shader has a bumpmap assigned it requires tangent info. Please toggle on "Calculate Road Tangents" in the Build Settings before pressing "Build Terrain".

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Raoul

42. paulojsam

paulojsam

i cant insert road markers either pressing i+shift or shift and mouse.
    I have the terrain with the easy road terrain ID scripts and the road object component,
    but i cant interact with the terrain. what am i doing wrong

43. sgtkoolaid

sgtkoolaid

I will give that calculate thing a whirl. SO what do you think I shoudlo do then? finish up the road then reaise it to .01? will that be fixed? or merely disable the terrain after and everything should be right as rain.

44. sgtkoolaid

sgtkoolaid

problem solved!!!! :) shader wise that is. and disabled the terrain. we are good to go for now. :) woohoo! danke good sir.

45. paulojsam

paulojsam

i was able to put it to work but now i have the doubt about using .sbsar texture into the road textures

46. raoul

raoul

Hi paulojsam,

I also saw your other post, do you mean you got this resolved?

Otherwise, do you mean you cannot add markers either? In that case, just as a test, can you try the demo scene and move one of the blue marker handles of existing road objects. Does the road update accordingly?

Thanks,
    Raoul

47. raoul

raoul

Hi,

Yes, it is normal behaviour, a flat terrain and a flat road on the same height will result in z-fighting issues. The EasyRoads3D shaders deal with that by using an offset. It should be fairly simple to add that to the Unity standard shader. Otherwise simply raising the road 0.01 shouldn't be noticable and will deal with that as well.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  48. raoul

raoul

Hi again,

Using sbsar textures should not be a problem, it is material related and the road network objects are ordinary Unity game objects using materials like any other object does. The demo scene includes a road using a .sbsar texture.

What exactly does not work for you?

Thanks,
    Raoul

49. A-V-Medvedskiy

A-V-Medvedskiy

Hi. I create road and set standart material, but normal map does not work (The road became black)
    . How i can resolve this?

50. raoul

raoul

Hi A.V.Medvedskiy,

Make sure to toggle on "Calculate Tangents" in the Build settings before clicking "Build Terrain".

This comes up frequently, in previous Unity versions this was not really a problem but in Unity 5 the object indeed renders in black when a normal map is used and no tangent data is available. Perhaps tangents should be calculated automatically, until now it was always optional to speed up the processing.

Thanks,
    Raoul