Search Unity

World Building EasyRoads3D v3 - the upcoming new road system

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by raoul, Feb 19, 2014.

1. raoul

raoul

Hi tequyla, thank you! :)

Please send an email or contact me through the PM system if you like to try the betas.

Raoul

2. JOKaija

JOKaija

That would be nice! Most urgent options: straight/spline, white surface, tag + layer.

3. Marble

Marble

Is it possible to broaden or taper individual spline segments? I'm thinking that would be pretty useful for a medieval road or a river.

boysenberry likes this.
  4. raoul

raoul

Hi Jari,

I did meanwhile add some of those options. Once all done and tested I will send you a test build.

Thanks,
    Raoul

5. raoul

raoul

Hi Marble,

That is currently not possible. It is on the list for both shape type of side objects (indeed useful for rivers) and roads. The roads option will require a little bit more work for standard roads. For medieval type of roads it indeed should work just fine. A planar UVs option will also be added for roads/crossings which could also be useful for medieval type of roads.

Thanks,
    Raoul

boysenberry and Marble like this.
  6. Marble

Marble

Out of curiosity, how does one add road nodes to a regular mesh? Shift + click just additively selects the mesh GO in the hierarchy like normal.

7. raoul

raoul

HI Marble,

I just double checked this. After assigning a standard plane primitive to the Mesh terrain slot, I added markers on the plane Mesh through Shift + Click. It worked fine, the Road Network remains selected and the markers are added at the correct position. The plane primitive was scaled 20 times, rotated a bit for different heights and positioned above the temporary Unity terrain. Doesn't that work for you either? Is the plane primitive selected after Shift + click?

Thanks,
    Raoul

8. gibmation

gibmation

Hi Raoul, How is the next update coming along?
    Really looking forward to the y connectors.

I have now added RTP to my terrain and have been able to make various tunnels (see pics below) with good results.

However I have noticed that the road system will not deform the terrain anymore.
    Any adjustments I make will not deform the terrain any further.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    G.

Attached Files:

9. Marble

Marble

Oh I see. I didn't realize there had to be a Unity Terrain underneath it. That's an odd requirement! But it does work in tandem with a terrain, yes. Thanks for your help.

10. raoul

raoul

Hi Gus,

Flexible T Crossings is tricky, I am still experimenting with different ways of doing this, getting the road shape continue on the crossing connector as smooth as possible. I think it will be a big improvement.

Good to see the RTP package indeed can be used for this! :)

What exactly do you mean with "the road system will not deform the terrain anymore"? When did that start to happen? Do you mean after using RTP for the holes? And does this affect the full terrain? As mentioned before I still have to look into the RTP approach of creating holes. Could this be related?

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  11. raoul

raoul

Hi Marble,

Yes, at the moment a Unity terrain object is still required when using Mesh terrains , I have to optimize some other code to deal with that. Meanwhile you can simply put a terrain object temporarily in the scene on a position where it doesn't interfere with other scene objects.

Thanks,
    Raoul

boysenberry likes this.
  12. gibmation

gibmation

How long do you think this will be?
    I have nearly finished my road network albeit using T connectors, so in many place my roads do not reflect the real ones I am copying, the Y connector would solve these issues.
    But I really need to get on with this project and cant afford to wait a lot.
    Once Road Network is finalised how difficult would it be to add/change these?
    Would I need to make a prefab of road network before I finalise it to be able to add more roads later on?

I spoke with Tom from RTP who explained that this was happening due to the Tesselation setting on RTP LOD manager.
    Once this is set terrain will not deform.
    I just disabled and recompiled RTP shaders and terrain deformation is working again.

Tom advised; "shape your terrain first and use tessellation as the last step of the workflow".

Rgds
    G.

13. gibmation

gibmation

Hi Raoul, is it possible to add side object to T connector?

Currently I get a break in guardrails where I have a T connector.

Also could a connector also be a bridge object that will not deform terrain.
    So I can use a T connector inside the tunnels in terrain.

Thanks
    G.

Attached Files:

14. raoul

raoul

I will do my best to have this ready before the end of this week. Deforming the shape is almost done but it does involve some code changes and have to see how that affects other elements such as side objects. In any case I am quite sure I will be able to send an alpha version before the end of this week so you can test it.

This is not a new Y connector prefab option, this is about deforming T crossings which could be turned into an Y connector. Currently the bending is done on the straight side of the T crossing. But by tweaking the corner radius of the connected side you should be able to get an Y shape. Flexible bending on the connected road and also for C crossings is next.

When you finalize the road network all script components are removed. No way back once you save the scene and close it! I would recommend to duplicate the scene in the project folder before doing that and only use Finalize just before the final build. You can always fall back on the duplicated scene in case you want to make changes.

Good to hear the problem with terrain deformation is resolved.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  15. raoul

raoul

Crossings currently do not support side objects. The idea for a future build is to auto connect side objects one way or another.

For now you could create the guardrails as a separate object, side object only.

I can add an option to switch of Terrain deformation for crossing prefabs. The tricky bit would be the actual tunnel geometry for the crossing area if you want to use side objects for that.

Thanks,
    Raoul

16. gibmation

gibmation

No need for side objects. I will build tunnel geometry separately from the actual road geometry.
    Its just being able to use the connector within the terrain that is most important.
    Thanks again

Gus

17. gibmation

gibmation

Wow this would be even better.
    Would I need to replace current connectors or would existing ones update?

Thanks

G.

18. raoul

raoul

Hi Gus,

If you want to model the tunnel, you may want to have a look at the Shape side object type. With this you quickly can create the base shape of the tunnel. Personally I would create a Mesh type of side object so you can include the start and end bit that should cover the hole in the terrain. The setup is similar to the Bridge Simple Side object type.

Thanks,
    Raoul

19. raoul

raoul

You can keep your exisiting T Crossings. The bending option will be on by default because I think that is what you generally want to use. But to avoid unwanted changes in exisiting scenes I will make sure bending is switched off for T crossings already in the scene. You will be able to switch it on manually for each crossing.

Thanks,
    Raoul

20. gibmation

gibmation

I was just going to create splines from exported road geometry to make tunnel as a single object.

But thanks for your suggestion I will definitely look into it. I want to use use to create walls and barriers so worth it.

Is there a benefit of creating with ER as opposed to modelling a single object

Entrances to tunnels are all different and already modelled as these have to use RTP's geomblend and this allows you to blend an "entrance" object to a terrain object, so if your entrances are in different terrains geomblend will not allow you to blend properly to both terrains.

This is why I have kept as separate objects.

21. raoul

raoul

It probably depends on what you want the tunnel to look like, but with the Shape type of side object you can draw a shape (the tunnel shape) in 2D in the Shape Editor window. The mesh will be generated according the road shape. It could be useful as a quick starting point.

Regarding the tunnel entrance/exit, I guess it depends on how you want this to look like. If you want to have part of it blend with the terrain, I am not entirely familiar with how the RTP package handles, but it could be that the blending is controlled by vertex colors. I had a quick look, when extracting mesh data for the procedural side object type the vertex colors are stored as well. This option is also available for the Shape side object type, you can set the vertex color for each node and use that info in shaders. See the inner road side of the cliffs screenshot on the first page. It is a terrain mesh overlay used to add terrain detail near the road.

If the RTP package indeed uses vertex color info for the blending you can use that to blend the terrain mesh completely with the terrain object and you could do the same for tunnel entrance / exit. But perhaps there is more to it regarding the RTP package? It is on the list to look at.

Thanks,
    Raoul

22. ksam2

ksam2

I have a big problem! I've mentioned when we "Finalize Object" then we can force it back in anyway! I had a big and nice terrain that I've worked 3 days to make but now it's destroyed! I've used "Back Up" and "Restore" but it doesn't work.

Please help it makes the Easy Road totally useless for me :(
    How we can test easy road on play mode and then back it to edit mode?

23. gibmation

gibmation

Not sure on vertex colour but the problem would be that what RTP does is match your entrance mesh with the terrain that is below it - this terrain object is attached to the script on the entrance.

So when you paint entrances in same terrain it should be no problem.
    But script only allows to merge with only one terrain.

So when you paint the other entrance as there is no attached terrain object below it I don't think you would get the required results.
    G.

24. raoul

raoul

Hi ksam2,

Hi ksam2,

When you click the "Finalize" button, first a dialog box is displayed saying

"This will remove all script components from the Road Network objects. Do you want to continue?"

It does exactly that. It is recommended to not use this option until just before you are ready to publish and also when you are not using the runtime API. I mentioned this as well earlier this week, a couple of posts above on this page (http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/ea...g-new-road-system.229327/page-19#post-2119474) . It is also recommended to backup the scene before dong that. You will still be able to make changes to the road network in a later stage.

Back up and Restore as additional options is available in the next update. Also, in the release notes in the manual under Important, it is mentioned and recommended to keep a backup of your terrain by simply duplicating it in the assets folder. This way you can use that as a fall back for this sort of situations when all script components are removed.

Being able to test the Road Network is an essential part.

After you switch to Build Mode you see, among others, two buttons, "Back to Edit Mode" and "Back to Edit Mode - No Terrain Restore". When you click the first button the terrain will be restored to its original state and all road network editor functions are activated again. When you click the second button (added upon request) you will first be asked to confirm this choice. The road network will switch back to Edit Mode but the terrain will not be restored.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: May 22, 2015
    ksam2 likes this.
  25. raoul

raoul

Hi Gus,

One of your screenshots with the holes in the terrain looked exactly what is required. RTP creates the holes, side objects could be used to cover the holes nicely with start / end segments and the actual tunnel segment.

But maybe I am missing something? I have to look into that. If all this is indeed possible I will make some examples and a tutorial.

Thanks,
    Raoul

26. ksam2

ksam2

Really sorry but I can't see those buttons! let me explain with pics
    In the first pic everything works good

But after I click on the "Play" button it'll looks like below pic

If somehow I'll be able to test roads in play mode can I will restore it again?

27. raoul

raoul

Hi ksam2,

First the render issue, the road being rendered on top of the car, that obviously should not happen, I double checked over here and in Play mode all looks the same. Can you double check the shader used on that particular road, what is it called? In v2 a shader is used in Edit Mode that renders the road on top of everything but this option is not yet implemented in v3, this shader is not used on any of the example roads in the beta package. Do you perhaps still have v2 in your project and did some how get this particular shader assigned to the road?

You can restore everything after play mode. Generally these are the workflow steps:

1. You create your road network, at some point you want to test it
    2. You click the middle mountain tab in the Inspector > "Build Terrain" button. This will adjust the terrain(s) to the road Network.
    3. You click Play
    4. After you stop play mode, you click "Back To Edit Mode" in the Inspector (this was previously called "Restore terrain" but I think it was already changed to "Back To Edit Mode" in beta 6.5).
    5. You continue working on the road network

Thanks,
    Raoul

ksam2 likes this.
  28. ksam2

ksam2

Weird! I'll test again but it's not what only happens! I've set road width to 20 but after clicking on play it comes back to 5 !!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks for support. I'm going to upgrade my unity version.

29. raoul

raoul

I don't think upgrading the Unity version will solve issues related to EasyRoads3D. It works on both Unity 4 and Unity 5.

I order to get a clear picture of your situation, could you please give feedback on my questions? It will help isolate the problem.

I just created a new road, changed the width to 20 > Build Terrain > started Play Mode

The road width remains as it is, 20, also after stop play mode and switch back to Edit Mode.

Thanks,
    Raoul

ksam2 likes this.
  30. ksam2

ksam2

I'm using V2 with Unity 5.0.0 p2 because I have a problem with V3 beta version! I thought maybe final version of 3v would solve below error! It is the error I get with V3 beta and Unity 5.0.0 p2

31. gibmation

gibmation

RTP brings a script geomblend which can be used to create geometry that matches exactly the terrain where you are making the hole.

This geometry is exported as an obj and can then be edited to create the entrance but seams will match the terrain exactly.

Once you end edit and import back to unity you can place the new entrance geometry in its exact place using the same script.

The you can paint over your geometry using same script to match the seams of your obj to the terrain.

The hole produced on terrain does not have neat edges as it uses the perlin setting you are using. Usually hole looks frayed, this is why an obj is created to cover hole

You can see process here ...

Attached Files:

• hhh3.JPG
      hhh3.JPG
      File size:
      141.5 KB
      Views:
    • hhh2.JPG
      hhh2.JPG
      File size:
      120.4 KB
      Views:
    • hhh1.JPG
      hhh1.JPG
      File size:
      196.3 KB
      Views:
  32. raoul

raoul

V3 is an entirely new system, could you please try removing the full EasyRoads3D folder and reimport the v3 package.

And then let me know what the exact problems are? If these are the problems mentioned in your earlier post, could you then please answer the questions I asked?

Or, just as a test, could you try the v3 package in a new fresh project, try the demo scenes. How does that work? Do you still get errors and after which exact sequence of steps?

Thnks,
    Raoul

ksam2 likes this.
  33. gibmation

gibmation

Hi Ksam, you can test roads in play mode.
    I have been testing using my car without any problems.

You need to click on your Road Network in your Hierachy window then click "Build Terrain".
    This will prepare roads and terrain.

Once complete you can click your "Play" button and car should work on roads.
    You will not be able to change any roads in "build terrain" mode!

When you have finished testing your car and roads you can either.. return to edit mode and the changes to your terrain and roads will be restored so you can continue editing.

Careful!
    You can also return to edit mode without restoring terrain. If you do this your terrain will not revert back to the orignal!

Good idea to create a backup as described in above posts before you do this.

Hope this help.
    Take care

Gus

Attached Files:

ksam2 likes this.
  34. raoul

raoul

Yes, so you could keep the blended mesh geometry and add the tunnel entrance / exit to it. Depending on the shape of the tunnel entrance you may not need the mesh overlay at all if it covers the hole. But if the blended mesh is required at runtime then obviously it should stay there.

Regarding tunnel side objects, it probably depends on how much you will use it. If it is only for one or two tunnels you may just as well put them in manually. But if you will use it frequently it could be more efficient to turn it into a side object.

I will certainly add some examples when I have looked into this.

This is an old v2 example using side objects for the tunnel and tunnel entrance.

Thanks,
    Raoul

35. ksam2

ksam2

I've done that before but still same error! maybe V3 doesn't work with Unity5.0.0.p2 ?
    Even importing on a fresh project doesn't solved that error.

I decided to work with V3 if I will have any problem I'll let you know. But still can't make V3 Beta5 to work with Unity5.0.0p2

36. raoul

raoul

You mention V3 beta 5, the latest beta is 6.5. Can you couble check your version in the most right tab in the Inspector? That said in general beta 5 should work with Unity 5 as well but I would recommend to always use the latest beta.

You mentioned several issues in previous post, I replied to them also by asking some questions.

Could you resume what the problems are at this stage?

1. Are you now using a fresh import of the v3 beta with v2 and v3 fully removed first?

2. Is the road still rendered on top of everything? Which shader is attached to the road?

3. Do you still get the error message in your previous post? After which steps do you get this error message?

4. Can you now Build the terrain, use Play Mode, stop Play Mode, put the road network back to Edit Mode?

I think these are these are the issues you mentioned in previous posts. Or are you now having different issues?

Thanks,
    Raoul

ksam2 likes this.
  37. ksam2

ksam2

First thanks for fast support.

Yes, I've done that and even import in a fresh project but still same error (I can't use Easy Road when I have this error)

As I said when I get this error with V3, easy road doesn't work anymore to see if road still rendered on top of everthing.

For now this error is my main problem. after importing V3 I get this error! no matter if I import package on a fresh project or my main project still same error.

First I must make V3 to work with Unity 5.0.0 P2 and then should see if It will works or not.
    Thanks

38. raoul

raoul

1. Do you get this error straight after importing the package and creating a new Road Network from the menu? Otherwise, after which steps does the error appear?

2. Your very first post was regarding using the "Finalize" option. It seems at that point everything was working well? What is different now? Especially when you get the error instantly, could it be the Unity 4 package was imported instead of the Unity 5 package? In that case, please remove the full EasyRoads3D folder again and try importing the Unity 5 package.

3. And are you indeed using beta 5 or beta 6.5? Can you check this in the most right tab in the Inspector.

Thanks,
    Raoul

39. ksam2

ksam2

Yes, Exactly.

I told before. first I was using Easy Road V2 (because V3 didn't work for me and I was waiting for final V3) but after that problem with road renders on top I've decided to work with V3 but still can't wipe out that error.

No way.

Sorry my mistake. it's v5.6

Now I have a question. Did you test it on Unity 5.0.0 p2?

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  40. gibmation

gibmation

Hi Raoul,

Currently my road textures are using shader EasyRoads3D/Diffuse.

I want to use bump maps.

When I change to shader EasyRoads3D/Bumped Diffuse the texture disappear instead I get solid black.

Is this in progress or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks
    Gus

Attached Files:

41. gibmation

gibmation

Yes this looks really good.

42. raoul

raoul

Hi ksam2,

So you very first post regarding "Finalize" and the road being rendered on top of the car was actually indeed v2 related? Was the road width problem also v2 related?

This is the v3 beta thread. I did see you mentioned v2 three posts later. It could also be you switched back to v2 after the problems. I didn't realize it was related to your initial problems, sorry about that!

It has been tested on several Unity 5 versions, I cannot tell specifically for 5.0.0 p2. It is tested on the latest 5.0.2f2. As mentioned, in the past 5 years I have not seen errors like the one you posted being related to Unity updates but please try the latest version if you want.

I had a look at the error message.

I cannot match this with the current 6.5 beta. The 6.5 beta was updated on the same day it became available. Did you download it recently? If you still get the error after updating to the latest Unity version, could you email me the following dll's:

/Assets/EasyRoads3D/lib/EasyRoads3Dv3.dll
    /Assets/EasyRoads3D/Editor/EasyRoads3Dv3Editor.dll

Thanks,
    Raoul

ksam2 likes this.
  43. raoul

raoul

Hi Gus,

In Unity 5 objects are rendered in black when using a bumped shader while the actual mesh does not have tangents info which is required for bumped shaders.

Could you double check if “Calculate Road Tangents” is toggled on in the Inspector after selecting the middle mountain tab?

After you make changes to the road in Edit Mode the road will turn black again. The shaders functionality in Edit Mode is not entirely finished. The v2 “Render on Top” functionality will be added (requested by several people) which will make it necessary to use different shaders in Edit Mode not requiring tangent info.

But in Build Mode all should look fine when using bumped shaders as long as “Calculate Road Tangents” is toggled on.

Thanks,

Raoul

44. ksam2

ksam2

Hi again. Please take a look at below pic.

45. raoul

raoul

Hi Ksam2,

Yes, the code is obfuscated but how does the bit in the left bottom red circle relate to the bit in the right top red circle?

The obfuscated names do not match.

Could you email me a simple project with this error so I can test on my end. I can provide FTP access to our server if you want.

If anyone else is getting error messages after importing the 6.5 beta package in Unity 5, could you please let me know.

Thanks,
    Raoul

46. gibmation

gibmation

HI Raoul,

I need to move my terrain upwards as when I imported to 000 it used the center of the mountain for this position.
    I want to move up so 000 would be at my terrain's waterlevel/horizon.

I have created empty game object and placed all my components in this then I move this object to get to position 000.

I only need to move elevation, other axis are correctly placed.

However I can move everything but not my road network.

I suppose ER has this value locked somewhere to avoid accidental movement.

Is it possible to overide this and be able to move terrain then lock it again.

Thanks

Gus

47. gibmation

gibmation

Raoul, I cant delete sideobjects.
    ER says they are in use and am I sure I want to delete but does not remove them.
    These are not in use.
    Even if I create a brand new one and try to delete it will not.
    Thanks
    G.

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  48. gibmation

gibmation

Yes this solved the roads, texture is back now using bump.

But texture in T crossings/connector is still black.
    Does Calculate Road Tangents include these as well?

Thanks
    Gus

49. raoul

raoul

Hi Gus,

Yes, the road network position is locked. This is for several reasons:

1. to avoid confusion when moving the road network game object and roads not matching anymore with the terrain(s)
    2. because of the "Raise" option in Build Mode.
    3. marker positions hold global values which will ignore game object position changes. At first when you move the road network all will look alright but as soon as you move a marker the road will move back to its original position.

But I can add an option in Scene Settings which will update the road network relative to a new position.

Thanks,
    Raoul

50. raoul

raoul

I checked this, you are right, regardless whether the selected side object is used or not, the dialog will always appear. Thank you for reporting this, it is fixed.

But it is a confirm dialog window. When you select "Yes" the side object should be deleted anyway, also from those road objects where this side object is currently activated. I just double checked this and afters electing "Yes" the side object indeed is removed from those specific road objects and from the side objects list. Does this indeed not work for you after clicking "Yes"?

Thanks,
    Raoul