Search Unity

World Building EasyRoads3D v3 - the upcoming new road system

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by raoul, Feb 19, 2014.

1. ekuNNN

ekuNNN

I've been playing around with v3 and I have some simple questions that I probably just missed, but I couldnt find it in the manual:
    Can you select multiple markers like in v2?
    And because shift click added a new marker: How do you delete individual markers? In v2 you could select them and just press delete, but in v3 this deletes the whole road.

Thanks!

raoul likes this.
  2. raoul

raoul

But in that case, don't you want to adjust the height of the pavements of the crossings as well? After adjusting the crossings, you can update the road by reconnecting it.

Thanks,
    Raoul

3. raoul

raoul

Hi ekuNNN,

At the moment selecting selecting multiple markers is not possible. It is on the list to implement.

In v3 everything is controlled through the main Road Network object. Standard actions like the delete key will affect the main Road Network game object.

Deleting markers can be done through Shift+R, inserting markers through I+Click. The manual includes a Shortcuts section with information related to all this.

Thanks,
    Raoul

4. ekuNNN

ekuNNN

Thanks for the quick reply!

5. erdoganuguz

erdoganuguz

Hello.
    What is the shortcut key? (1:51)
    How do you extend the road after you add connection?

6. raoul

raoul

Hi erdoganuguz,

At 1:51 new roads are pulled out of the X Crossing. There is no shortcut key for that. When you move the mouse near a connection a yellow rectangle appears, at that point click and drag the mouse away from the crossing, this will create a new road. Does this not work for you?

Thanks,
    Raoul

7. erdoganuguz

erdoganuguz

Yeah, did not work. I did re-import. Fix. Thank you.

8. raoul

raoul

Ok, glad you got that working. The only known issue with this is that when you select a crossing to for example move it to another position, and deselect it afterwards by clicking on an empty space, the yellow rectangles do not appear. Selecting for example a road marker will reset some data, aftewards the yellow rectangles should appear. This issue is fixed in the next beta together with several other improvements to the road network options an functionality in Scene View.

Thanks,
    Raoul

9. Recon03

Recon03

Raoul question, I can't see to find the tab for custom objects, Has this changed?? I have not used 3d roads in months.
    http://www.unityterraintools.com/demo_v2_custom_objects.php

Like the video, when I add a fence , bridge I do not see the tab to do so anymore.. is there a new way if so, is there a tutorial for it? Thanks.

10. raoul

raoul

Hi Recon03,

Which tab do you mean? The main EasyRoads3D menu at the top? The asset store does not allow editor extensions to be positioned in the top menu anymore. For v2 you can find the menu in:

GameObject > Create Other > EasyRoads3D

For v3:

GameObject > Create Other > 3D Objects

Please let me know if you meant something else!

Thanks,
    Raoul

11. Recon03

Recon03

I know that.not talking about that.... . look at the video, it shows you can make custom objects,,, then when you do, there should be list fence bridge etc as shown in the video... its not there period.. the video it shows it at 40 seconds // says active objects..

I have a feeling this is done differently now?

not new to this asset so I understand that lol... also not new to Unity, spent 4 years getting my BA using Unity, Unreal plus 14 years in the industry. so I know them fairly well but I have not used this asset in a bit since I didnt need it..

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  12. raoul

raoul

Hi Recon03,

The side objects system in v2 is a framework that can be used with your own assets, assets from the asset store and you can create side objects through the Geometry Editor window which allows you to draw shapes.

What you see in the videos are examples of side objects. You can get almost all these examples from the downloads page on our website and Import them in your project through the Side Object Manager. They will be listed in the General Settings tab afterwards. Please send me an email or PM if you do not have a serial number to download.

V3 will probably have side object presets part of the package, like in the current betas. This system has changed in v3. The Side Object Manager is now part of the Toolbar tab and you have more options. To everybody starting new EasyRoads3D projects, you may want to have a look at the v3 betas and check if it already works for you. It can do everything v2 does and a lot more.

Thanks,
    Raoul

13. Recon03

Recon03

I thought that may have been the case .. it looked different that was all, and wanted to be sure I was getting everything out of this asset , I have the beta but I hate adding beta's to my development projects so it doesn't corrupt my files, I had an asset cause issues for me today .. so I get picky about beta's.. I will wait for release.

Thanks!

14. raoul

raoul

Ok :), as mentioned before, v2 is primarily a road geometry creation tool. It doesn't come with a large bundle of additional assets although example side objects are available.

V3 will include more assets, side object presets, road textures and additional street related props.

Certainly after the next beta (available somewhere this week) v3 should be fairly stable. Connecting roads to crossings with a different geometry structure will not be possible anymore, no error messages. Everything that v2 does should be stable in v3. That is why it is recommended to already check it out. But we do want to improve some things, add some additional crossing options and extend the additional assets package for the first public release.

Thanks,
    Raoul

15. JOKaija

JOKaija

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  16. raoul

raoul

Hi JOkaija,

Yes, the errors when building for WP8 were fixed in a recent update. Unity should build the WP8 project without errors now but we do not have WP8 devices so we cannot test the final builds. Please let me know if you still have issues with this.

Email sent!

Thanks,
    Raoul

17. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Hi,

Is this Unity 5 compatible, and does the river generator work in Unity 5?

If so you have another buyer :)

Cheers,
    Adam.

18. raoul

raoul

Hi Adam,

The v3 betas do work on Unity 5.

v3 does not have a dedicated river object like v2 has. However the side objects system in v3 includes new options that makes this possible. You can define side objects as "Terrain Deformation" objects. To simulate the v2 river object you can create two side objects, one for the river bed that will deform the terrain and another side object for the river surface. You can assign a water prefab (one of the Unity water prefabs orn asset store water prefab) as the target object. See the below video starting at 2.41:

Not part of this video is a recently added feature to have vertices snap to the terrain. You can use this for the outer vertices of the riverbed shape to give more definition to the deformation shape.

The only thing that is currently not possible compared to the v2 river object is changing the width of the river. You could add variation by using a wider river surface width and manually change the river shape in the terrain. In a future build it will be possible to change the shapes of side objects per marker (also for road objects).

Let me know if you have further questions.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
    rhodnius and hopeful like this.
  19. DesertRaven

DesertRaven

Outstanding work Raoul, I feel good having made the right choice with this asset. 5*+

20. raoul

raoul

Thank you DesertRaven, much appreciated!

Raoul

21. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Thanks Raoul!

Quick question - i imported but am at 2.5.6.1. How do i get version 3 beta ?

Thanks,
    Adam.

22. raoul

raoul

Hi Adam, could you send me a PM (Start a Conversation) or email through our website including your email address? I will send you the v3 beta.

Thanks,
    Raoul

23. raoul

raoul

Hi guys,

This is a belated message to inform that beta 6.3 is available since last weekend. Please use the same download link as the previous beta. Check the release notes for updates.

One thing that is improved is the ability to customize crossings (both dynamic and custom crossings) further with additional street props. This process is not yet featured in videos or the manual. It works just like with Unity prefabs:

1. Drag the source prefab in the scene, these are prefabs stored in /Assets/EasyRoads3D/Resources/dynamic crossings and /Assets/EasyRoads3D/Resources/custom crossings

2. Add additonial assets as child objects to the prefab

3. Select the prefab itself in the hierarchy and update it through: GameObject > Apply Changes To Prefab

4. Remove this prefab from the scene. This is important as it is not recommended to use source prefabs directly in the scene

When you Instantiate the updated prefab through the system (3rd tab from the left in the Inspector or by attaching it directly to a road) the added assets will be part of the crossing. This will save a lot of time when you have many similar crossings in a scene.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
    RagingJacob, John-G and hopeful like this.
  24. studentvz

studentvz

Hi, I have a question about Min Indent, on one scene I can't get it lower then 3.5 and on another 5.85, why?

25. raoul

raoul

Hi studentvz,

A similar question was asked on the previous page. Here is a summary:

Indent values represent the distance over which the terrain will be flattened according the road shape on the left and right side of the roads. It can be tweaked per marker but indeed a minimum indent value is used to ensure that the terrain is not breaking though the road or floating above the road. The bigger the terrains heightmap resolution, the smaller the minimum indent value. Does this correspond to your situation? Do the terrains in the scenes have a different heightmap resolution or size?

Also, in order to avoid having to set customized Indent values for every single road, the values for each marker are set/locked according the general scene Min Indent value in General Settings (3rd tab from the right) > Scene Settings.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Thanks,
    Raoul

26. PFernandes

PFernandes

Hey all

I've been trying to use EasyRoads3D free for a uni project but i cannot seem to import it properly. I go to the asset store, download and then import but some errors show up and i never get the the "EasyRoads3D" menu on the top bar alongside "file, gameobject" and all that other stuff.
    I tried it with Unity 5 and then Unity 4.6.1 and it never works. Maybe Windows has issues. I've been trying everything but i cant seem to get it right.

Could anyone please help?

Cheers

27. raoul

raoul

Hi PFernandes,

Which errors do you get?

The asset store does not allow tools to be positioned in the top menu anymore. For the Free version you can find the menu in:

GameObject > Create Other > EasyRoads3D

It is mentioned in the review section on the asset store and also in the Quick Getting Started section of the manual which has more useful info.

Also please note that the Free version is still v2!

Thanks,
    Raoul

28. RagingJacob

RagingJacob

This is looking so good, couldn't be happier to have purchased this asset back in 2014.
    I'm patiently waiting for v3, the road system for my project can wait a little longer, don't want to keep updating beta's.
    But from what I'm seeing it's definitely going to be worth the wait!

29. raoul

raoul

Hi KillerKahuna, thank you! And for your patience, it indeed has been a long ride. But we are nearly there....

In terms of stability, you may want to start checking the betas. If anyone is having issues not mentioned in the Known Issues section of the manual, we would appreciate it if you could report it.

I understand if you rather not want to keep on importing updates but even after the official v3.0 release, regular updates will follow.

Thanks,
    Raoul

RagingJacob and red2blue like this.
  30. RagingJacob

RagingJacob

Of course I trust there will be those updates after 3.0 release, but I imagine it'd be less frequent than a beta release.
    So I'd like to thank you for your transparency during the lead up to the release, it's been a joy seeing it develop.

Perhaps if I find the time I'll opt in for the beta and send you a mail, but as my schedule is packed full right now I'm afraid I can't participate with the beta. I'll let you know if that should change ;)

31. raoul

raoul

Understood :) Yes, once v3 is released updates will follow less frequent than currently every one or two weeks. I only mentioned it from a stability point of view in case that is one of the reasons for you to wait using it.

We also started with a new demo project that will include examples of all the features. That is also something that should ideally be ready before the full release. It will include additional scripts and assets not directly related to the tool itself.

Thanks,
    Raoul

RagingJacob likes this.
  32. ksam2

ksam2

Hi there. I have a question. Can I use my own PBR materials on roads? or it has its own materials?
    Because I've created a good asphalt shader.

33. raoul

raoul

Hi Ksam2,

Yes, you can do that. When you start a new project (scene) it is recommended to first prepare the needed road types (and crossing presets). You can do this in General Settings (3rd tab from the right in the Inspector) > Road Types. This is where you can assign your own materials to new or exisiting road types.

You can also assign your materials directly to a road after selecting it in the scene, but assigning the materials to road types is more efficient.

Thanks,
    Raoul

ksam2 likes this.
  34. ksam2

ksam2

Thanks. One more question, when roads across each other there will be textures like a square?

35. raoul

raoul

Crossings are separate objects. You can see a quick example of the general workflow on the first page of this thread. The first post and beta email includes additional links to videos.

For crossings you can update the material / shader as well. If you want to use the current dynamic example crossings you can use the same material but update the associated shader and texture (/Assets/EasyRoads3D/Resources/Materials/Crossings).

Or you can create your own dynamic crossings and also assign the road presets mentioned in my previous post. This way you can quickly reuse these new crossings in the scene.

The below video shows the process, changing the connections / selecting Road Presets starts at 1.30. Ignore changing the road width if you do want to use different roads and Road Type Presets. The width of the connection will auto update after selecting the preset. You also see material slots. "Connection Material" is associated with the material used for that connection on the crossing prefab. "Road material" will auto update after selecting the road type presets. This is used when pulling out roads from crossings.

Thanks,
    Raoul

ksam2 likes this.
  36. nbd

nbd

Hello, I bought the easyroads3d pro yesterday. Can you please send me the latest unity 5 beta version. Thanks.

37. raoul

raoul

Hi nbd,

I just sent you a message asking for your email address and further info. Can you check this so I can send you the beta?

Thanks!
    Raoul

38. nbd

nbd

should I just reply to your email? Thanks for the quick reply.

39. nbd

nbd

Raoul, Registered as per the directions given in email. Also replied to the email that I got.
    Also, I am looking for version 3 beta.
    Thanks,
    dk

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  40. raoul

raoul

Thank you!

I just sent two emails including the v3 beta download info.

Raoul

41. Recon03

Recon03

loving the new tool and updates but why when I add my own textures some of it cuts off.. I use the same shaders,. is there a known bug?

42. raoul

raoul

Hi Recon03, glad you like v3!

Could you provide more information? Does this happen on roads, crossings, side objects? Can you include a screenshot?

Thanks,
    Raoul

43. gibmation

gibmation

Hi Raoul, very good tool.
    However I am experiencing a few problems with what appear to be bugs.
    Sometime roads wont snap to intersections, other times they snap but screw up other roads, its like it connects geometry to other road ends. Some times the markers do not seem connect to the road, I can move the markers around and the green sphere markers move on screen but not the road.
    I there a way of making a Y connection from a T ie or change the angle of the connection in the T intersection?
    Do you have a forum specific for bugs or should I post here?
    Thanks
    Gus

44. Recon03

Recon03

ss1.png ss2.png

First one is with the default one showing its fine. 2nd one is in play mode ..what it does. sometimes its just white no texture shows on some of mine as well.

Edit I may have fixed it just now.I will get back to you.

45. raoul

raoul

Hi Gus,

Thank you for the feedback!

Since beta 6.3 roads can only connect to crossings with a similar geometry structure (sidewalks, road shape) unless the road is not connected yet to a crossing on the other end. Does that match your situation?

The second bit is not entirely clear, how does it screw up other roads after connecting a road to a crossing?

It seems the marker issue is a result of the other problem, the road doesn't update. Or is this related to other roads. Can you provide more info? Do you get error messages? And which beta version do you use? Is it actually a problem with the crossing? Can you connect a newly created road to that crossing? And can you pull out a new road from that crossing?

For this sort of issues usually more info is required, ideally steps to recreate it, you can post further details here but this is usually handled by email.

Currently it is not possible to change the connection angle for X and T crossings. It is implemented (see the first video in the very first post of this thread) but currently inactive. Terrain deformation related to sharper angles needs more work. The custom crossing system may come in useful here? But it will be part of the built-in dynamic crossings as well.

Thanks,
    Raoul

46. raoul

raoul

Hi Recon03,

The white surfaces can be switched of in General Settings > Scene Settings. That should give a clearer picture of the road itself. But in general you may want to keep those white surfaces visible because they show how the terrain will be deformed.

And, in case this does need further attention, can you show a screenshot with the road network in Build Mode? Middle Mountain tab > Build Terrain

Other than that, I cannot see how changing the texture on a material can affect the UV coords on the road mesh? If there is an issue, I think it is related related to something else.

Thanks,
    Raoul

47. raoul

raoul

Additionally, does this perhaps happen on crossings with customized sidewalks (enabled / disabled)? Beta 6.3 has an issue with sidewalk changes in the scene getting overwritten by the default sidewalk settings for that crossing which can affect the connected roads. This is fixed in the next beta available tomorrow.

Thanks,
    Raoul

48. gibmation

gibmation

Hi Raoul, I have made a few screen shots so you can see what is happening...

Bug001.jpg + 002 - Roads get screwed up when connecting
    Bug003.jpg - Not snapping.
    Bug004.jpg - ?
    Noremovetrees.jpg - trees not being removed even when remove trees is checked.
    roadtexgoneaftertilt.jpg - road texture disappears when tilting a marker

Attached Files:

49. gibmation

gibmation

roadtexgoneaftertilt.jpg - road texture disappears when tilting a marker
    crash,jpg - unity5 will crash if you dial min roundabout width.

Attached Files:

50. raoul

raoul

Thank you for posting those images!

Images 1 & 2: Looking at the marker positions in image 2, the road on the left has an extremely sharp angle with the T-Crossing. This will result in the deformed shape of the road. Did you put the markers at those positions manually or did those markers get repositioned automatically which would be strange. In that case, when did that happen? After which action? Can it be reproduced following specific steps? Is it possible to have a look at the scene in this state because it is not very clear what is going on there? You can email the project if you want.

Image 3: As from beta 6.3 the system checks for matching geometry between the road and crossing connections. When the road geometry matches the crossing connection, the middle connection handle shows in green otherwise in red and indeed the road will not connect. Can you double check the road shape and that specific connection shape? Do they match?

Image 4: this looks strange. Are you using “Follow terrain contours”? In that case, could you check the terrain shape at that position? When using “Follow Terrain Contours”, you could change the “Contour Treshold” which can deal with this sort of situations. What happens when you move that specific marker?

Image 5: For terrain and detail vegetation you can set the distance from the road in General Settings > Terrain Management. Does increasing this distance solve the problem? One thing on the list is making this a road marker option so you have more control over this along the road shape.

I think the last image is missing. When tilting a marker, the lower sdie of the road will indeed most likely disappear below the terrain in Edit Mode when the road is at the terrain height at that point. But the terrain should be deformed accordingly in Build Mode, does it? The only situation this will not happen (also in general when no tilting is applied) is when the road on the lower side is lower than the terrains game object Y position because it is impossible to apply negative terrain height values to the terrain object.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015