Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

World Building EasyRoads3D v3 - the upcoming new road system

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by raoul, Feb 19, 2014.

1. mantekkerz

mantekkerz

Wow, awesome work Raoul! :cool:

2. Autarkis

Autarkis

The demo scenes all work fine for me. no slowdown, everything works perfect.
    I notice the slowdown as soon as I have the road network upper level group selected. It happens with any road/marker selected, but strangely enough, not for the connection crossings. If i have a crossing selected, i can pan, zoom, move around the level with no noticeable slowdown.
    Longest road is 929 meters, but i do have a fairly large amount of roads ( about 190 so far.).
    I did a test deleting ALL assets in the scene file, leaving only the terrain and my current road network, still slow ( i thought maybe something in the case was clashing with easy roads.)
    Could I shoot you an email with the link to the scene file for you to check it out if you have time maybe?
    Thanks.

3. raoul

raoul

929 meter is just fine and 190 roads shouldn't be a problem either. Some of the osm files I tested while implementing that had over 300 roads.

Yes, being able to look at the project would be very helpful. I will be away from Wednesday until the end of the week. If you send me an email today I will try to look at it tomorrow as it is already late in the evening over here.

Thanks,
    Raoul

4. Recon03

Recon03

resolved, Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  5. snowcult

snowcult

Ah that works thanks :) I've made a couple stop lines, give way lines and bike lanes roads. :)

This may not be a ER3D issue, so apologies in advance if so, but I've noticed my textures look funny.

http://i.imgur.com/g2HCyam.png

(Inner segments didn't want to fix that corner texture, it worked on other corners, I think this one is just too big of a jump?)

They are saved with the same settings in photoshop, imported into unity with the same settings and compression. In the screenshot you can see the intersection and the original road texture to the right lacks colour, whereas the texture with the bike lanes is a more brown. For some reason the sidewalk also changes hue slightly, if you look closely. Which can't be a texture issue because it's using the exact same texture as the rest.

I suppose it could be my light though that would be strange.

RTP has something where you create a plane on the edge of a cliff, then use it to rearrange vertices to the positions you like them, then export as a mesh and adjust in a 3D program, when bring it back into Unity with a texture and use the blending shader to blend it with the terrain nicely. If what you're doing is creating that new mesh, I could definitely see it being used with RTP to blend neatly, even without the exporting process. Can't wait! :D

Definitely having a lot of fun learning how this asset works. If anyone's on the fence about getting this, another road asset or hand placing roads, I've used Road Architect myself, as well has hand placing road models... this is by far the best way to work. EasyRoads3D is worth every penny.

6. raoul

raoul

Hi Recon03,

This is the Unity forums, all I see is a screenname and your screenname is not in my email history (email and additional database). The email you just sent through PM doesn't exist either in my history. Have I sent an email to you before, perhaps a different email address?

Thanks,
    Raoul

7. raoul

raoul

Hi ShinfoK,

It looks like you are using the same base road texture on two connections with different widths. The texture will stretch.
    [Edit] do the white lane markings on the left and right side have the same width on both textures?

I cannot really comment on the texture colour difference, that is not really related to EasyRoads3D. You mentioned the textures are exact copies. If so, do the materials have the same setup (colour and shader)?

Yes, getting the cliffs etc. to work with RTP will probably simply be a matter of applying the correct vertex colours to the source points in the Shape Object Editor Window. I will look at that and make notes in the manual.

Thanks,
    Raoul

8. raoul

raoul

Hi,

Beta 6 is now available. Please use the same download link as beta 5.

New in this beta are the v2 splatmap feature and additional side object features (see recent posts in this thread) and the option to store meshes in the assets folder (requested by several people). Furthermore it includes numerous improvements such as creating a road directly between two crossings (pull out the road from one connection, snap to other connection) and some important bug fixes such as Unity crashing when selecting a road in the hierarchy (Unity 5) and errors/wrong road geometry when connecting a road with sidewalks to a dynamic crossing without sidewalks.

Next is more crossing options.

Tomorrow I will be away until the end of the week. I will check email but replies will be a little less prompt then usual.

Thanks,

Raoul

hopeful likes this.
  9. Recon03

Recon03

Thanks Raoul, issue resolved, I need to get the old Account/email deleted from the Unity site, not your fault which can cause confusion with emails accounts.. Seems the wrong one was showing up and that was the issue. I will look into this further so this doesn't happen again.

10. jeffmorris1956

jeffmorris1956

I downloaded beta 6 but I get messages shown in the image when I try to create a new road network in Unity 5. How can I fix this problem?

Attached Files:

11. raoul

raoul

Hi Jeff,

Did you have this problem with beta 5? Did you already register the beta? If not, can you check the first issue mentioned on the Troubleshooting page in the manual about launching Windows and Unity as the administrator during registration?

Please let me know if this doesn't help.

Thanks,
    Raoul

12. Amitheattack

Amitheattack

I purchased the road pack on the asset store. Do you think that I could have the beta pack for V3?

13. jeffmorris1956

jeffmorris1956

I tried to register the pack but I got "There was a problem with your registration. Only 2 machines supported per license!" How can I fix the problem?

14. snowcult

snowcult

I will have to look into it more. The colour difference is really strange considering the images are identical in terms of settings and colourspace from photoshop and import and compression settings in Unity. Oh well, I'll figure it out. The thing that really baffled me was the fact that even the sidewalk changed hue, when it was the exact same texture as the other part (exact same file, just on the different mesh).

Oh well.

Really excited for the splatmap feature back! Although, I went to the link you sent me in email for the Beta and it tries to download beta5.zip again? I tried changing the link with a 6 instead of a 5 (the link with my serial number at the end) and it doesn't work :p

I had a small problem with side objects. I created my own. It was created with Probuilder, positioned and 0,0,0 with 0,0,0 rotation, exported as OBJ with materials and imported back into Unity. Operates exactly how you'd expect a model to work in unity.

In EasyRoads side object, however, I couldn't get it to snap rotation? No matter what road it was attached to, what angle, every single one would face the same world space rotation.

15. raoul

raoul

Hi Amitheattach, could you check the _readme file in the root directory of the imported package? Or please send me an email or PM, I will send the v3 beta to you.

Thanks,
    Raoul

16. raoul

raoul

Hi Jeff, I just reset your previous installs, can you try again?

Thanks,
    Raoul

17. raoul

raoul

Hi ShinfoK,

Yes, I decided to use the same download link as for beta 5. Check the zip, the Unity packages should be beta 6. I was a bit in a hurry yesterday and wanted to get beta 6 out before I leave today. Next week when I am back I will create a new download link. For now, please use the previous link.

Regarding the side objects question, is this the same issue that can also happen in v2. Can you drag that .obj in the scene, does Unity auto apply rotation values to it (Inspector)? In that case, EasyRoads3D does not apply these values. The trick is to create a new prefab, assign your model as a child to that new prefab and assign the same rotation values to the child as Unity does automatically. Assign this new prefab to the side object. Or you could rotate the model in your modelling app. Does this work? I may add some additional rotation options to the side object settings.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  18. snowcult

snowcult

Hmm yeah it's already in a prefab as a child of an empty without rotation. Rotated it a bit and applied, but that works for one direction, it doesn't auto rotate on the other so I'm perplexed. I did create the model with ProBuilder then export as OBJ, then imported it, created the prefab. So idk why it's acting funny.

Ok, so... might be a silly question but... splats. Where are the splat settings? I can't see them anywhere? I see "Update Terrain Splatmaps" but no setting to set them up. I'm assuming this is the feature where it adds changes the texture under and a configurable distance on the sides right?

Thanks for the update! :)

19. jeffmorris1956

jeffmorris1956

It worked!

raoul likes this.
  20. raoul

raoul

Hi ShinfoK,

The lamppost example in the demo scenes is a typical example of how you usually want to align side objects with the road. Could you compare the lamppost prefab setup and side object settings with your prefab / side object settings. Or perhaps I am misunderstanding the issue you have?

The splatmap feature is a road setting, you can tweak splatmap settings for each road. So it a road settings which you can find at the bottom in the Inspector after selecting a road object. You can find the same options in General Settings > Road Types. One thing to do here is to add the option to assign road presets to a crossing connection. This way also the splatmap settings for that road type will be assigned when pulling out a road from a crossing connection.

Thanks,
    Raoul

21. snowcult

snowcult

Ah, great! Per-road splat was what I was hoping for, great work!

One issue, I've found, if any smoothing is selected, this happens: http://i.imgur.com/77nLVsY.png

Sometimes it's just one weird spike, sometimes it's all along the side of the road. It's definitely related to the splat because if Update Splat is unchecked, it doesn't happen, and if Smoothing is set to 0, it doesn't happen.

I'll have a play around with the side object. Thanks!

22. snowcult

snowcult

Ok, this just popped up... Not sure I can really explain it, I'll have to show you:

Problem is shown just after 00:45 seconds.

Deleted my road and started again, and not having the issue. Starting to get used to having to restart :p Which is completely fine, as I'm learning as I go.

23. break_heart

break_heart

Hello,

To scale the Y axis the object of the barrier is separated from the road sections where the road is high, eg on bridges. If I stop across the road at the same height fails. Can you solve in any way?

A greeting and thanks.

24. raoul

raoul

Hi ShinfoK,

I haven't had issues with spikes after using the new splatmap feature. I am away for a couple of days. When I am back in the weekend I will see if I can replicate this issue.

This post, do you mean the terrain being visible? Are the roads above the terrain game objects Y position (the unity terrain object does not accept negative values and cannot be deformed below its Y value)? If not, could you prepare an example project and send it to me so I can look at it?

Thanks,
    Raoul

25. raoul

raoul

Hi break_heart,

It is not recommended to the change the scaling for the final side objects generated in the scene. Unless the scaling is very small it will very likely not look good. Please scale the source object used for the side object and rebuild the side object data.

Thanks,
    Raoul

26. break_heart

break_heart

Ok, thanks.

Also, I have to increase the height of the mesh collider because if not, the cars are out of the circuit. Does anyone know how? I tried to create a child object of the barrier and add the mesh collider component of the barrier and change the scale that object "Y" makes me just as when you change the scale to the object itself.

27. raoul

raoul

Hi break_heart,

One thing on the list for side objects is to add the option to define collider shapes so optimized meshes will be created for colliders. You could use this same option to add bigger / higher colliders.

For now, there are two options, duplicate the generated object, raise it a little higher and disable the renderer. Does that work in your case? Otherwise you could create a duplicate of the side object itself, make it bigger (higher), activate that as well for the road and use that for the collider only.

Thanks,
    Raoul

28. Ascensi

Ascensi

Thanks for the beta access raoul! I haven't yet had the time to work with it but I had a quick question.. can this system instead of roads allow for blended textures to make a worn path? or simply put - a dirt trail/ path.

29. camel82106

camel82106

Hello,
    I'm trying to use runtime API in Unity 5. (EasyRoads b6) In fact I'm not using it while in play mode. But to automate creation of road stubs inside editor.

I have just taken Your runtimeScript and I'm running it from editor menu item. Everything is created nicely. (Road Network and road). But if I click on road network I doesn't see base GUI of EasyRoads3d.

And I get this error:
    NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    UnityEngine.GUIContent.Temp (UnityEngine.Texture[] images) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/GUIContentBindings.gen.cs:125)
    UnityEngine.GUILayout.Toolbar (Int32 selected, UnityEngine.Texture[] images, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/GUILayout.gen.cs:117)
    EasyRoads3Dv3Editor.OODQQODDOD.OnInspectorGUI ()
    UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.DrawEditor (UnityEditor.Editor editor, Int32 editorIndex, Boolean forceDirty, System.Boolean& showImportedObjectBarNext, UnityEngine.Rect& importedObjectBarRect, Boolean eyeDropperDirty) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorWindow.cs:1150)
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

If I create road network manually through component menu. And than rerun same script. It works nicely and it uses created road network as a parent for created road. And GUI is working as designed.
    So it's working with little workaround.

P.S.: it looks very promising

Thanks
    Peter

30. raoul

raoul

Hi Ascensi, yes, when you create a new road you can select the material. You can also create presets of this so you can reuse them. The main demo scene in the package includes a dirt track preset with dirt trail texture.

Thanks,
    Raoul

31. raoul

raoul

Hi Peter,

Last week I tested using the API inside the unity editor (not play mode) and fixed some issues building / restoring the road network through API code. Also added options for the new splatmap feature in beta 6 to the API. I cannot remember actually continuing changing the road network afterwards the standard way inside scene view.

I am away on a short break, when I am back this weekend, I will check what goes wrong with selecting the road network in the hierarchy after creating it through the API instead of through the main menu.

Thanks,
    Raoul

32. llJIMBOBll

llJIMBOBll

hi im trying to complile but get this error
    Assets/EasyRoads3D/Scripts/runtimeScript.cs(28,7): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `EasyRoads3Dv3' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?
    im using unity5 and the beta 6 thanx

EDIT
    that was easy, i just clicked on the .dll and ticked the box for standalone and apply, thanx again :D

33. raoul

raoul

Hi llJIMBOBll,

Glad you figured that out! I will double check the package import, dll settings, by default all platforms should be selected.

Thanks,
    Raoul

34. snowcult

snowcult

For the video, I'm guessing you didn't watch it all the way through lol, watch at a minute or so in, you'll see the problem, it was really crazy.

For the spikes, here's a video.
    (sorry about the music... was originally going to be a gif lol).

As you can see, setting the smoothing to 0 results in no spikes, setting to 2 results in some spikes and setting to 3 results in some pretty drastic deformation.

35. raoul

raoul

Hi ShinfoK,

Yes, you also mentioned it in your post. The terrain splatmap options should not interfere with the terrain deformation. Obviously it does in your video. I implemented / tested the splatmap options on a flat terrain so that could very well be the reason why this didn't happen in the test scene. I will look at that when I am back, hopefully I can recreate it. Regarding my other comment I was more asking for other issues as it seemed at a specific position the terrain was above the road.

Thanks,
    Raoul

36. snowcult

snowcult

Ahh ok. Well roads were all placed above the terrain and the raise roadwork was set to 0. I really am not sure what the problem was that caused it. Nor do I know the spike cause. I haven't had the time yet, but I'll send over a basic project for you to see.

Just running through the manual now, but thought I'd ask here as I go, I'm currently playing with using my own road/sidewalk meshes. I've created this:

http://gfycat.com/NauticalRipeIslandcanary

Is this okay, with the multiple faces on the sidewalk (for curb/grass/sidewalk), or will it only work with the singular face?

37. raoul

raoul

Ok, thank you very much, I will let you know if I can recreate the spikes issue.

The mesh in the screenshot seems just fine but I can only tell after seeing the full mesh. Currently the system for custom crossings expects all outer vertices to connect with each other which seems to be the case in your screenshot (and typical for road related meshes). Straight after importing the mesh into the custom crossing window you can already see if the mesh will work well, all outer vertices should be displayed with dots. That is at least the case right now, the system will be further expanded so it can handle more complex meshes as well.

If you have difficulties getting your own meshes to work within the system you can always send them to me so I can have a look.

Thanks,
    Raoul

38. snowcult

snowcult

This doesn't seem right, is it? http://i.imgur.com/9BggsR3.png

Give me a couple of hours and I'll upload that project. It's not a huge problem for me at the moment because I can just turn smoothing to 0 but yeah.

39. raoul

raoul

That indeed doesn't look good. Are you using multiple groups in that specific mesh? In that case, could you double check the vertices where the different groups connect? Are they actually exactly on the same position (weld in Max)?

Thanks,
    Raoul

40. DiegoBricksESP

DiegoBricksESP

I need download EasyRoads v3 Free.

41. raoul

raoul

Hi Diego,

Looking at your screen name, I think I already replied by email to this same question. v3 is still in closed beta. From either the next beta (one big update to go) or the one after that it will be open beta available for download from our website with a Pro license. The free version will follow after that. I cannot give an ETA for that at the moment. Until then you can get the betas (if you have a Pro license) by contacting me. The current Pro version on the asset store (see link my signature) covers the final v3, no need to upgrade once it is released.

Thanks,
    Raoul

42. snowcult

snowcult

Ahh, you're right... I forgot to weld the sidewalk to the road! Thanks.

I do have a bit of a dilemma, as I've stated... I am not well versed in modelling so this is an issue I don't know how to overcome, here's a nifty picture to explain what's wrong:

This is my driveway_left mesh. The blue bits are now welded, but the red area is not welded as I have nothing to weld it to. Should I add in the loop on the road mesh where the green line is to attach it to? I know this isn't an EasyRoad3D related issue particularly, so I appreciate your help :D

Just duplicating my project now.

43. raoul

raoul

Hi ShinfoK,

Very close I think, when I said at least the outer sidewalk and road vertices should be at the same position (vertices with the blue circle), I actually meant that those sidewalk and road vertices should also connect to the same vertex inside. Can you try that?

So, in the image I see 2 triangles for the actual road. On the left you have 4 vertices vertically for the sidewalk (the 2 blue and 2 red circles), two for the road (the 2 blue circles). Can you try creating the road also using the vertices with the red circle, that means 4 triangles for the road itself and no need to add similar vertices (red circle) on the right hand side of the green lines.

Thanks,
    Raoul

44. snowcult

snowcult

Ok so I stripped down a project to send to you and left just two terrains and the road network, removed all other files that weren't necessary.

And... there are no terrain spikes. Weird? So perhaps it was something else messing with it? I don't really know how/why any other asset would mess with it. Really only TerrainComposer, but I don't see why that wouldn't like smoothing, and it's not like it was building anything at that stage.

As for the mesh... I'm afraid you've lost me, I'm not entirely sure I understand.

Here's a better look at the sidewalk and why I have those vertices on that side. (remember, this is left side driveway only. I also have a mesh that has driveways on both the left and the right.)

http://i.imgur.com/7Msa7Rz.png

So would I be looking at 6 triangles for the road rather than 4 (by putting the loop in where the red circles are in the previous screenshot)?

Thanks again for your help.

45. raoul

raoul

EasyRoads3D uses layer 31, any mesh on that layer can cause unwanted height map changes on the terrain so please reserve that layer for EasyRoads3D. But in your previous feedback you mentioned that this was the result after splatmap smoothing changes. That is no longer the case?

Regarding the mesh, the left and right areas are just fine (sidewalks on the left, driveway and sidewalk on the right). The problem is where the main road (the middle) connects with the sidewalk and driveway on the left. For the main road you only use 4 vertices, 2 triangles. This means that on the left, although the top and bottom vertices can be exactly at the same spot as the corresponding sidewalk vertices and visually everything looks good, there is technically a gap (the road vertices do not directly connect to the driveway vertices). Gaps are not necessarily a problem within the custom crossing system but it is when it starts at outer vertices which is the case in your screenshot. Please include the other two vertices (where the driveway starts) also in the main road geometry, resulting in 6 vertices and 4 triangles for the main road.

Does this make sense? I am still on my laptop so I cannot easily include an image. I will do that later today if necessary.

I will also make this more clear with images in the manual.

Thanks,
    Raoul

46. raoul

raoul

Additional to my post above, this is what I meant (4 triangles for the middle main road segment):

But the driveway segment seems to end higher then the road itself. This is a bit tricky regarding flattening the terrain exactly at that higher level due to the grid based nature of the Unity terrain object.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  47. camel82106

camel82106

Hello,
    I'm playting with runtime API. And it looks that ERRoadNetwork.GetRoadTypes implementation is empty?
    Is there a workaround for it, probably reflection or may I just wait. Thanks

And another weird thing is. That I'm seeing road types in Select Road Type picklist as numbers:
    44656661756c7420526f6164
    Not sure why, because in empty project I have seen road names properly.

Regards
    Peter

48. raoul

raoul

Hi Peter,

GetRoadTypes() indeed isn't fully implemented yet in the API. I will add that on the list for the next beta.

Your second point looks like something that has been reported before. It seemed related to using Force Text for Asset Serialization instead of the default Mixed mode in the main project Editor Settings but I haven't been to replicate that yet. Could you check that? What happens when you add a road type in General Settings > Road Types. Is this new road type also displayed in numbers?

Thanks,
    Raoul

49. camel82106

camel82106

Hello,
    yes I have set Force Text for asset serialization. If I add new road type it's saved with normal name without numbers.

I will try to simulate it later with blank project. And post reproduce steps if possible.
    Thanks
    Peter

50. camel82106

camel82106

Hello again,
    I was able to simulate it:
    Create empty 3D project.
    Go to Project/settings/editor change asset serialization to force text.
    Import EasyRoads3D beta v6 (tested on Unity 5 f4 latest patch).

And try to create new network and select roads and names are lost.
    Regards
    Peter