Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

EasyRoads3D v1.0 for Unity - Plugin version Online

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by raoul, Apr 29, 2009.

1. raoul

raoul

Yes, I cannot see why it wouldn't work on the original terrain.

But, I just had a look because I remember implementing a fix for this Y position issue, and indeed regardless the terrains Y position it is deformed correctly over here. Perhaps the Free version does not inlcude this fix yet (in the case you are using the free version). A new update is about to be released (among others including a fix for the side objects issue when iOS Platform is selected mentioned by Jake Kim above), I will also upload a new build for the Free version of EasyRoads3D.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  2. lundon

lundon

Any problems with EasyRoads3D using Unity 4.3?

3. raoul

raoul

Hi Lundon, EasyRoads3D should work just fine on Unity 4.3. You will get some warnings regarding changes to the Undo system after importing the project but it should work just fine. An update with fixes for Unity 4.3 changes will be released next week.

Please let me know if you are experiencing other issues...

Raoul

4. fred_gds

fred_gds

Hey,

I was wondering whether Version 3 is getting released anytime soon, as I waiting for it since quiet a while :D

5. raoul

raoul

Hey Fred, assuming this is about intersections support, it depends on what you require? There are many different types of intersections to implement with different geometry layouts for each of them. This is time consuming so development will be an ongoing process for a while.

We released a new update of the crossroads beta version 2 weeks ago. We have to implement one more big change, after that it is a matter of deciding what features the first public release will include.

If you have a Pro license I can send you the current alpha so you can try it out.

Raoul

6. fred_gds

fred_gds

Yeah I have Pro

Well I don't have one particular aspect I am waiting for, while I have to say that the intersection feature is great and I would love to be able to something like this: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/56/Autobahn_anschluss1.jpg
    If you would include that kind of interaction it would be great. For the betas I need to say I usually keep some distance on those as I am always afraid that they might mess up my project, but if you include the intersect I mentioned above or if there is any other world braking new feature I would be willing to try it out :D

7. raoul

raoul

That sort of intersections is not yet includes but it will be. It is the same type as required for pit lanes for race circuits.

Yes, v3 will reorganize the structure of EasyRoads3D objects therefor we always recommend to create a backup first before trying the beta on an existing EasyRoads3D Project. We first want to implement that big change to the core code, then finish roundabouts and dead ends / cul-de-sac. after that we will start on highway interchanges, etc.

8. JesOb

JesOb

Easy Roads BUG

I have clean project and all thrid party plugins lie in Assets/Libraries/ directory or it subdirectories.
    When I have place EasyRoads3D into Assets/Libraries/ directory. And it just stop working!

Most Stopping bug is when I try to change material of road it just stop Unity! :)

9. JesOb

JesOb

And add Please Sources of your tool to Pro license like NGUI and others done.
    Then users can fix bugs and extend tool for Theirs Project purposes.

10. JesOb

JesOb

How can I Add My own materials and textures to road?

11. raoul

raoul

Hi Jes28,

The material window reads in the available textures in the road textures folder. If you move the package to another folder it will not find this folder.

The same will probably happen with the side objects data file. I will change the code so it first checks if the folder exists, in case the directory has changed but you will still have a problem finding the textures.

Other than that, I just did a test and all seems to work well after moving the folder contents to another directory. What are the other problems you have with this?

12. raoul

raoul

The generated road is an ordinary game object, you can apply any material to it you want just like with any other game object with a mesh renderer attached.

Additionally EasyRoads3D uses two different materials for Edit Mode and Build Mode. So the best way to change the material while stll working on the road is to change /Assets/EasyRoads3D/Resources/roadMaterial and optionally /Assets/EasyRoads3D/Resources/roadMaterialEdit . These are the materials used resp in Build Mode (after you clicked the middle mountain tab) and Edit Mode.

But after you are finished creating the road you can assign any material to it as at that stage the material in Edit Mode is no longer used.

13. JesOb

JesOb

You can read this post: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/21...-in-your-libs!!!-Use-this-to-retrive-relative
    and use relative paths to you textures and side objects data file. :)

14. JesOb

JesOb

But if I change material and later return to edit mode I lost all of my changes.
    I have split road to many segments and assign different material to each part, and when I return to edit mode I have lost all my tunings :(

15. raoul

raoul

16. raoul

raoul

Yes, that is why I wrote that you should use the specific roadMaterial in the project folder instead of the material assigned to the road at that momento. But that is only necessary if you already want to change the material while working on the road because the road will be rebuild in Edit Mode all the time. Once you are finished building the road you can assign any material to it especially If you want to use different materials per segment.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  17. Imillionaire

Imillionaire

I'm strongly consider buying this asset but aside from the high price, i'm curious when will it be able to create crossroad/intersections, and 90 degree turns on roads. and i assume you use the side objects feature to create sidewalks?

also im having trouble properly applying the free versionof the road to terrain gernerated by terrain composer (seems it's not findind the correct heightmap) as the white surrounding terrain smoothing things jet either 1000 meteres down or up, depending on the height the roads applied.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  18. raoul

raoul

Hi Imillionaire, yes, sidewalks can be created with side objects. 90 degree turns are not possible at the moment because the tool is spline based. But this will be implemented in the next version with also crossroads support. At this stage we cannot really give any information about release dates, other then it is released in betas at the moment. I can put 90 degree crossings on the list for the next beta release.

Regarding your other question, as you mention, Terrain Composer, do you indeed have multiple terrains in your scene? That would be the reason of the problems you mentioned. EasyRoads3D is optimized to work with a single terrain object. However the full version has a "Multiple Terrains" option in General Settings which deals with these issues.

Let me know if you have further questions.

19. Imillionaire

Imillionaire

well i took the dive and bought the package since it just went on sale. fixed the previous problem i was having with it, thanks. though is seems a little buggy when creating a road that crosses over 2 terrains, it seems to not raise/lower the second terrain to match the road.

aside from that is there any tutorials on how to use side objects? ive seen you guys video on side objects but that really just shows me where to find the buttons for it, and not how to actually do it.

20. raoul

raoul

Imagine you have 10+ terrains in your scene, most likely you will work on a road and want to test the area you are working on. Having to build all terrains everytime is a time consuming task and could also result in memory issues.

So when using multiple terrains you can render each terrain one by one by selecting it as the active terrain in the dropdown or by holding Alt + Ctrl and clicking on the terrain you want to be the active terrain. Once you are finished building the road you can uncheck the "Restore" option to keep the terrain changes when switching back to Edit Mode. It is explained in the manual.

Have a look at the _readme file in the root directory of the imported package. You can register your Assetstore purchase, you will receive a link to the demo Project and you can also download additional packages from our website. It includes a range of side objects, You can see how they are build in the Side Object Manager and how they are used in a scene.

... And, Yes, Christmas Sale 2013 has started!

21. Hilxs

Hilxs

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  22. raoul

raoul

Hi Hilxs, this used to happen when the terrains Y position in the Inspector is set to something else then 0. Can you check that? Also, which Free version are you using? The free versión hasn't been updated for a while. Last week we prepared a new build v2.5.4 which is already available on our website. We will submit the Assetstore update soon. In this version you can set the terrains Y value at any position you want. The full versions on our website and Assetstore are up to date.

Please let me know if this doesn't solve your problem! Also, in that case, do you have multiple terrains in your scene? This is something not supported in the free version.

Raoul

23. Hilxs

Hilxs

The terrain position Y is set to 0 now, but there is the same bug.

I took the version free 2.45 oct 30,2012.

But, soon, i will buy the last pro version.

Sorry for my english, i am french.

ilxs

24. raoul

raoul

Did you rebuild the terrain / road object after moving the terrain to Y = 0? Can you show screenshots of the road object in Edit Mode and afterwards in Build Mode?

2.4.5 is quite old, I would certainly recommend to update to the latest v.2.5.4...

25. Hilxs

Hilxs

Oui i rebuild terrain after moving terrain to Y=0

and voila

in few hour i will try with the pro version

26. raoul

raoul

Look at the second image, the outer parts of the white surfaces are pointing upwards. That is not right. Are you 100% certain the terrains Y position is at 0, you moved a marker so the white surfaces update and, with regard to the free version, there are no other terrain objects in the scene?

Yes, please update to the latest free version or full version and try again...

27. Hilxs

Hilxs

yes
    i give you tomorow an answer if it works or not.

28. Imillionaire

Imillionaire

where do we find river assets? it says there are no available river materials or scripts.

29. raoul

raoul

Hi Imillionaire,

EasyRoads3D itself does not include river materials, it creates the river bed in the terrain and the water surface mesh. It also includes direct support for the default Unity water shaders. For this you have to import the Unity water package. After this you will see these material available in the Inspector. The EasyRoads3D demo project also includes water3 which should still work in Unity 4. The created water mesh should also work just fine on any water asset available on the Assetstore.

30. Imillionaire

Imillionaire

ah i se it looks for the water material/script in standard assets > water basic folders - and not under pro water assets. another problem ive been having is when making water that crosses over multiple terrains, it seems to break into inconsistant pieces, as seen in the snapshot below. (thank you for all the help)

$RiverToolError.jpg

edit: under the render settings before i build it into the terrain, if i have it on all terrains it messes up like above. but if i set it to just one of the terrains the river crosses through, that section of the terrain renders properly.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  31. Hilxs

Hilxs

Hi

So i bought the last version pro, and that's works good. Except when i create multi terrain with terrain composer.
    With one untiy terrain it s works, with one terrain composer it s works. But multiple terrain composer, the road after click "on process terrain" the terrain geometry don't move/merge/blend with the road. So the road fly in some place.

Do you want screen ?

Ilxs

32. raoul

raoul

I belief the only Unity water asset not directly supported is water4. This asset is fairly complex, it is much easier to use the water prefab itself and assign the generated river mesh to it. You can use the attached script to quickly generate a mesh.asset of the river surface mesh in the assets folder.

I can't clearly see on the picture what the problem is, but just like with roads on multiple terrains, you have to build the terrains one by one. However, theriver surface mesh is generated based on the river floor. So, when you have multiple terrains in your scene you first have to check the surface mesh for each terrain one by one and see if it looks the way you want. When all done, you build each terrain one by one without restoring it when switching back to Edit Mode to build the next terrain. So only after building the final terrain the river surface mesh is fully generated. Hope that makes sense and explains the problem, otherwise let me know!

Attached Files:

33. raoul

raoul

Hi Hilxs, I just responded to Imillionaire who also had a question about multiple terrains.

EasyRoads3D is optimized to work with a single terrain object. You can use it on multiple terrains, that works by building each terrain one by one.
    1. Enable "Multiple Terrains" in "General Settings" in the Inspector.
    2. Select the active terrain from the drop down further below ("All Terrains" does not work) or select the active terrain by holding CTRL+Alt and click on the terrain you want to actívate.
    3. Create your road and test it in Build Mode for all terrains.
    4. When done, uncheck "Restore" in General Settings and do a final Build for each terrain.

It is explained in the manual.

34. Hilxs

Hilxs

YES

That"s good. Thanks a lot.

In your road map you write :

Road intersections, crossroads, roundabouts
    City Roads Buildings Engine

i am waiting this, because my project is a city XD

35. raoul

raoul

Ok, yes, crossings is being worked on and released in betas. You could try it out if you want (send me a PM), but it does not yet support multiple terrains like the current v2 does.

36. Hilxs

Hilxs

Okee i send you my mail by pm.

I have got an other question.

That's possible to weld mesh 3dsmax like a procedural mesh.

Example :

To make a wall, i can make it in procedural, then it's created along the way.

If i make a wall in 3Dsmax, export fbx, that's possible to duplicate it and weld it along the way.

(i write bad in english, French guy XD)

37. raoul

raoul

You can do that directly in the Unity Editor by drawing the shape of the wall in the 2D editor window inside the Side Objects Manager. I also got your PM, I will send you the demo project later. This demo project includes a number of side object examples including a wall. Have a look at how the wall shape is created in the 2D editor and how the wall mesh is procedurally generated accordingly in the scene.

38. DesertRaven

DesertRaven

Hi any Idea when the next update can be expected?

39. raoul

raoul

Hi DesertRaven,

I did a lot of testing yesterday and will do some more tests today, but it seems ready so it is about to be released. It primarly includes small changes suggested by users. the only new feature is the option to blend the road with the terrain at the start and end. Just to double check, is there something specific you are waiting for?

Raoul

40. ConjureScape

ConjureScape

Hi Raoul.
    Your website seems to be broken. I've sent two contact requests but got no reply.
    My question:
    I purchased Easy roads a long time ago and I've lost my serial number in the meantime. Do you keep these on record based on email address or credit card number? Is there a way you can check your records and let me know what my serial number is?
    Best
    Jake

41. raoul

raoul

Hi Jake,

I am not aware of any down time of the server recently and I am also receiving emails all the time. 3d_Game_Ready does sound familiar though. I did a quick check on my inbox but couldn't find a match. Can you send me a PM with your email address so I can look up your registration and send the details?.

Thanks,
    Raoul

42. ConjureScape

ConjureScape

Thanks Raoul
    I've sent you a pm.

43. Unityaware

Unityaware

I am keen to try the Pro version of Easy Road in order to create some rivers (Unity Pro). To test it out I installed the free version (Apple Mac) first. I am getting as far as laying down the road, but when it initialises it hangs up without the progress bar completing or even starting to complete. What could be the problem do you think? I am using RTP Relief Terain. Could there be a clash perhaps? Before I go out and purchase the Pro version, I'll have to be sure this won't happen of course. Any suggestions? Thanks.

44. raoul

raoul

Hi Mindblocked, I don't think it is a problem with RTP. Do you perhaps have multiple terrains in your scene? Did you try testing it in a fresh project? This way you can see if the package itself works?

Raoul

45. dushun88

dushun88

What kind of question is that
    $err3f3r3.jpg

46. dushun88

dushun88

where is terrain texture? $22222.jpg

47. raoul

raoul

Hi Dushun88,

I think you are asking two questions here:

The first screenshot looks like a river test on a flat surface. In order to create the river shape it must be posible to lower terrain height values. Looking at your screenshot it seems markers are positioned near terrain y = 0.

Unity stores terrain heights in decimals from 0..1. This means that when the marker is positioned at terrain Y = 0, there is no way to deform the terrain and create the river surface because negative values are not supported. If you create a terrain from scratch and you want to add rivers you can set the start heights at a value of about 10 or so. This way you don't have this problem. Also increase the river bank height in the inspector or lower the markers a little bit when using a bigger heightmap scale (combination of terrain resolution and terrain size) if the river surface itself looks irregular. For the best natural result markers for the river object should be positioned a little bit below the terrain height at that position.

Looking at your first screenshot you are testing this on a quick test terrain. No terrain textures are assigned to that terrain. The EasyRoads3D splatmap feature embeds the shape of the road in the terrain splatmap. You can select which terrain texture you want to use for the road shape. But there are no textures assigned to your terrain so there is nothing to show. Can you switch the road object back to Edit Mode (middle mountain tab), add some textures to your terrain and try again?

Let me know if you need further help with this.

Raoul

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  48. dushun88

dushun88

thank you very much for your help ! Problemo solved !

49. Teila

Teila

I am considering Easy Roads to make rivers but have a few questions.

After the river is created, does the water actually flow in the direction of the river? Making rivers out of the terrain leaves rivers with animations which flow whatever way the plan is situation rather than following the contours of the river.

Also, is it possible to create a river with a fork? Can two rivers join?

Thank you.

Teila

50. raoul

raoul

Hi Teila,

The river tool that is part of EasyRoads3D is primarily a river shaping tool. It creates the river surface and the river shape in the terrain. You can assign the default Unity water materials to it or a third party water material. I belief the bootcamp project also includes a water material that follows the contours of the river.

V2 does not support joining rivers. Once road crossings in v3 is done I will look into that, meaanwhile you could export the river surfaces and join them in a modelling App.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Raoul