Search Unity

EasyRoads3D v1.0 for Unity - Plugin version Online

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by raoul, Apr 29, 2009.

1. AmazingRuss

AmazingRuss

I'm having a problem making a closed loop. No matter where I place the endpoints, there is a gap in the road:

$EasyRoadsGapProblem.png

How can I fix this?

2. raoul

raoul

That used to happen occasionally in some of the older versions but that should be fixed. Which version of EasyRoads3D are you using?

If I remember well, a way to fix that was to temporarily change one of the settings of the road, like the UVs or the number of segments.

3. AmazingRuss

AmazingRuss

I have 2.51, downloaded from the asset store this morning. Is there a newer version?

4. raoul

raoul

2.5.1 is the latest version. I just did a test with 10 random closed roads. They all connect at the start and end. So I need a little bit more info. Did tweaking the road settings help? What road settings are you using on the final road? Does this always happen with every road you create? Can you send me a simple example project by email so I can replicate this?

5. AmazingRuss

AmazingRuss

I went back into my project to create a repro case, and the gap is gone. Magic!

If I see it again, I will try and get you a repro.

6. pabloromocl

pabloromocl

Hi,

I'm currently using EasyRoads 3D and it's have been very useful.

Still i have a problem:

$trasspassing.PNG

Why i avoid this trasspassing between models?

Thanks in advice
    Greetings from Chile

7. raoul

raoul

Hi Pablo,

It looks like you are using the EasyRoads3D Edit mode shaders on the road. These do render on top of everything to clearly visualize the shape of the road in Edit Mode.

Is that screenshot taken with the road in Edit Mode or after deforming the terrain etc. (middle mountain tab in the Inspector)? Which material is assigned to the road mesh, roadMaterial or roadMaterialEdit?

Raoul

8. pabloromocl

pabloromocl

Thanks for the answer!!. You were right, i did process the terrain, but i'm not sure why, everything was unprocessed at the time i took the screenshoot and the material was the roadMaterialEdit and that was causing the effect. Now everything looks great.

I need an advice about intersections.

$intersec.PNG

I have this right now, and i realized was a bad call to overlay roads, because in terms of performance, isn't working great, but i want to know how to join this roads, is this possible with the tool? To make intersections look better?

Thanks in advice
    You have been very helpful

9. Chaoss

Chaoss

Once you guys have intersections working I'll be purchasing the pro version of your tool.

10. raoul

raoul

@pabloromocl, glad you got that working now. In v2 you can use the export to .obj option and create the crossing geometry manually in a modelling App. For the best results regarding terrain deformation, make sure that both roads have markers at exactly the same position in the center of the crosspoint.

@Chaoss, Yes, I want that done but it is taking a lot of time to get it right. As I do want to release an update with new features I am now working on support for tunnels which will take less time. After that I will continue with intersections.

11. Becoming

Becoming

Great to see that this tool is still maintained! Its definitely on my shopping list... Can you give us a rough estimation whan you get the tunnels out to the users? Same question for crossroads...

I'm also very much interested in the cave and overhanging cliffs tool, will this be a seperate tool from easyroads? I wouldn't mind some UV glitches if they are not too extreme...
    Any news on that? And hows it going?

Thanks in advance!

12. raoul

raoul

I got this almost working apart from a strange bug at the end of the tunnel. I have to fix that and prepare some runtime scripts. I can't really tell when this will be ready but I hope soon. It depends on how much time I can work on it. I have been away for two weeks, last week I spent on an update of v2 which was released earlier this week. So that means a delay of 3 weeks... The same for crossings, I wil pick that up after tunnels is done.

The cave system system will probably be a seperate tool, it will depend on the feature set. In terms of how this will handle the terrain etc. it will be very similar as the tunnels system for EasyRoads3D. But whereas for the tunnels the tunnel part will be created through side objects with start and end objects caves need to be blended nicely with the terrain. I must check how well the previous caves project integrates with the different approach I now use for digging holes in the terrain.

13. Becoming

Becoming

Thanks for the reply!! I look forward what you come up with!
    Is it possible to have paths that are blended onto the terrain? i'm interested to achieve something like this:

$feldwegbeisonnenaufgang.jpg

Probably easy with the right texture but can the outer edges be blended somehow? Would a transparent shader work with it? (EDIT: I've found the answer in the thread! If others have the same question: Yes its easily possible by changing to a transparent material)

Other Question: To get more variation, is it possible to have multiple textures on the roads or do i need to have a seperate road mesh conntected?
    Not a biggie if not possible but would be a nice feature to have!

Thanks in advance!

PS: I will heavily rely on the RTP2 Asset(Relief Terrain Pack 2) for our terrains, i hope your caves/overhanging cliff Tool will be compatible with it!!

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  14. raoul

raoul

Yes, you will need a transparency / cutout shader to achieve that. EasyRoads3D comes with a set of shaders. I am not sure if that type of shader is part of it but I can provide one. The dirt road in the screenshots on the first page uses a cutout shader.

You can set new LOD segments per marker. This will generate multiple meshes. You could also use that to assign different materials per road segment.

Regarding RTP2, that will work just fine. The only thing to take into account is that perhaps the blend road shape in terrain splatmap feature will not work instantly. But road shape textures are also exported to PNG so you can use that to blend them with your terrain splatmaps if that is what you are after.

15. Rtyper

Rtyper

I'm having a bit of trouble with the free version. I've set up a road and pressed the generate button, and the terrain gets flattened, but the road mesh is totally invisible. I can select it and it goes wireframe fine, but I can't make it visible no matter what material I use. Any idea what could be going wrong?

16. raoul

raoul

Hi Rtyper,

Can you actually see the road in "Edit Mode" before processing the terrain etc.?

Is this indeed a scene view issue and is the road visible in game play? If so then you are probably using custom layer settings for scene view (the layers dropdown box at the top of the Unity editor).

EasyRoads3D uses layers 30 and 31. Make sure these layers are enabled in that layers dropdown box. If these layers are not visible, then first name give them a name (whatever name you want). You will now see these layers in the dropdown and most likely they are not active. Simply actívate them...

Let me know if this does not solve the problem.

17. Rtyper

Rtyper

Yeah, he roads were visible in-game but not in the editor. I had to give layers 30 and 31 names before I could see them in the dropdown, but it turned out layer 31 was disabled somehow.

Thanks! This is a really awesome tool.

18. raoul

raoul

Thanks! and glad to hear you sorted that layers issue out..

19. Nuclearbass

Nuclearbass

Hey! I'm almost new to unity, working on a project since a few month
    I'm having troubles when removing road object, i can't create another road with the same name. Can you explain me why please?
    It says "an EasyRoad 3D object with the name "Road1" already exists
    Please use an unique name

20. raoul

raoul

Hey Nuclearbass, yes, when you create a road object, a new folder with that same name is created in the folder [your project]/EasyRoads3D/[road name]. Note that this is outside the assets folder! This folder is used to store exported .obj files and optionally png files with the road shape which you can edit and blend with the terrain splatmaps.

So, to reuse that road name, simply delete that specific folder first.

Let me know if you need further help with this!

21. kenlem

kenlem

I've only used the free version and I like it. My only problem was the road generated had to many polys no matter. I did change one of the params (can't recall which right now) to try and reduce the complexity of the mesh. Is there a way with free or PRO to generate a really low poly version suitable for mobile?

22. raoul

raoul

Hi kenlem, you can indeed adjust the poly count in the inspector. Click the middle tab to build the final road and deform the terrain, you will now see a geometry resolution slider in the Inspector, certainly in Pro and I belief also in the free version.

Unless you have a very long track it will work fine on mobile. The Pro version also includes a LOD segments feature which you can use to split the road in segments. You could also use this to hide segments away from the cam.

23. sylvain

sylvain

Hi,

I just discover your great tool, and test it ! Wow !

I was looking for such a tool for roads and rivers. But I have a constraint : I need to create them "programmatically" (a Unity script gives the list of points, ..., and calls functions to create and render the road). Is it possible withy your tool ?

24. raoul

raoul

Hi sylvain,

Glad you like it!

Do you mean "programmatically" at runtime or in the Unity editor? This is not supported in the editor but I have a script that does automatically position markers according a list of points and creates the road. Deforming the terrain is not part of it but I can add that.. A runtime version is being worked on.

Let me know if you have further questions.

25. sylvain

sylvain

Thanks for your reply, Raoul.

I mean by "programmatically" : in the Unity Editor. I launch Unity in batch mode, and it rebuilds my terrain and its assets. I want to create road after reading a list of points/infos in an XML file.

26. raoul

raoul

Hi sylvain, today I will double check those scripts and see if I can also implement building the road and deforming the terrain. I will let you know...

27. sylvain

sylvain

Great, great !

28. raoul

raoul

Hi sylvain, I added auto deformation of the terrain to that script. So now you can pass a list of points, the road will be created, then the terrain will be deformed, accordingly and the EasyRoads3D object itself will be removed so only the road game object will remain in the scene.

If you want the script, drop me a PM or email and I will send it to you, also let me know which version you are using because I will have to adapt the scripts to that version.

29. Almaj

Almaj

Great tool but i am using unity 4.2 and your free version is not showing road texture material, only deform the terrain is this normal in free version?
    can you make a tutorial?
    tanks

30. raoul

raoul

Hello Almaj,

The road should be visible with the free versión as well.

Do you see the road in game view? In this case, the road not appearing in the scene view window is most likely due to customized layer settings for scene view in your Unity editor. Can you double check your Layer settings (combobox at the right top of the editor)? EasyRoads3D uses layers 30 and 31 for the road and white surfaces. If you cannot see layers 30 and 31 in the dropdown, then first give these layers a name (Inspector > Layer > Add Layer). Afterwards these layers will be visible in the layers dropdown. Make sure they are enabled.

Let me know if this doesn't solve your problem or if you need more help with this!

31. Almaj

Almaj

it worked but every time i create a new road i must select that layer in the layers dropdown
    is not a big problem but i can forget ;)

32. raoul

raoul

Glad to hear that!

That layer setting should be the default Layer setting for all your Unity projects. So, once those layers 30 and 31 are enabled they are always enabled in every Unity project regardless whether you named them or not. The fact that the specific layer may turn up as "empty" is not a problem. That is only because the layer is not named but you can still put game objects on that layer from code.

So, you only have to give the layers 30 and 31 a name when the road does not appear in scene view and afterwards enable these layers in the layers dropdown. That said, this was always the procedure in previous versions, I will double check if that has changed in Unity 4.2! You can test this yourself quickly by creating a new project, create a road and see if the road is visible...

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  33. Almaj

Almaj

Ok, after creating a new project and importing the EasyRoads3D a get this error messages:

Assets/EasyRoads3D/scripts/RoadObjectScript.cs(514,44): warning CS0618: `UnityEngine.GameObject.active' is obsolete: `GameObject.active is obsolete. Use GameObject.SetActive(), GameObject.activeSelf or GameObject.activeInHierarchy.'

Assets/EasyRoads3D/scripts/RoadObjectScript.cs(514,44): warning CS0618: `UnityEngine.GameObject.active' is obsolete: `GameObject.active is obsolete. Use GameObject.SetActive(), GameObject.activeSelf or GameObject.activeInHierarchy.'

Shader warning in 'EasyRoads3D/EasyRoads3D Surface Transparant': Upgrade NOTE: SubShader commented out; uses Unity 2.x per-pixel lighting. You should rewrite shader into a Surface Shader. at line 21

Shader warning in 'EasyRoads3D/EasyRoads3D Surface Transparant': Upgrade NOTE: SubShader commented out because of manual shader assembly at line 106

Shader warning in 'EasyRoads3D/EasyRoads3D Surface Transparant': Upgrade NOTE: SubShader commented out; uses Unity 2.x style fixed function per-pixel lighting. Per-pixel lighting is not supported without shaders anymore. at line 342

Shader warning in 'EasyRoads3D/EasyRoads3D Surface': Upgrade NOTE: SubShader commented out; uses Unity 2.x per-pixel lighting. You should rewrite shader into a Surface Shader. at line 18

Shader warning in 'EasyRoads3D/EasyRoads3D Surface': Upgrade NOTE: SubShader commented out because of manual shader assembly at line 96

Shader warning in 'EasyRoads3D/EasyRoads3D Surface': Upgrade NOTE: SubShader commented out; uses Unity 2.x style fixed function per-pixel lighting. Per-pixel lighting is not supported without shaders anymore. at line 336

Shader warning in 'EasyRoads3D/EasyRoads3D Surface Transparant': Upgrade NOTE: SubShader commented out; uses Unity 2.x per-pixel lighting. You should rewrite shader into a Surface Shader. at line 21

Shader warning in 'EasyRoads3D/EasyRoads3D Surface Transparant': Upgrade NOTE: SubShader commented out because of manual shader assembly at line 106

Shader warning in 'EasyRoads3D/EasyRoads3D Surface Transparant': Upgrade NOTE: SubShader commented out; uses Unity 2.x style fixed function per-pixel lighting. Per-pixel lighting is not supported without shaders anymore. at line 342

34. raoul

raoul

These are not error messages. They are warnings about obsolete code.

But "active", "SetActive" changes was taken care of a long time ago. What version are you using? Or I may have to double check the free version...

It doesn't stop you from using it right?

35. Almaj

Almaj

No it no stop me from using it, but if I hit Play with a road selected i get this error:

ArgumentException: GUILayout: Mismatched LayoutGroup.Repaint
    UnityEngine.GUILayoutUtility.BeginLayoutGroup (UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options, System.Type LayoutType) (at C:/BuildAgent/work/cac08d8a5e25d4cb/Runtime/ExportGenerated/Editor/GUILayoutUtility.cs:208)
    UnityEditor.EditorGUILayout.BeginHorizontal (UnityEngine.GUIContent content, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) (at C:/BuildAgent/work/cac08d8a5e25d4cb/Editor/MonoGenerated/Editor/EditorGUI.cs:4799)
    UnityEditor.EditorGUILayout.BeginHorizontal (UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) (at C:/BuildAgent/work/cac08d8a5e25d4cb/Editor/MonoGenerated/Editor/EditorGUI.cs:4795)
    RoadObjectEditorScript.EasyRoadsGUIMenu (Boolean flag, Boolean senderIsMain, .RoadObjectScript nRoadScript) (at Assets/EasyRoads3D/Editor/RoadObjectEditorScript.js:195)

This is really a great tool and I'd definitely buy it if it were cheaper, i mean is not that isn't worth it, but for me it is very expensive because i'm making Virtual places tours (like titanic, Efiel Tower etc) for free, it's free for every one to visit from their web browser the history and the world in 3D,
    and as you can imagine i miss the river tool :( so when or if you decided to make a price drop let me know i will be very happy to buy it from you
    again tanks for this great tool.

36. TheOtherMonarch

TheOtherMonarch

@Raoul Tunnels are kind of a special feature. I would really rather see intersections. Intersections are going to be used much more then tunnels. I hope you find time to work on intersections.

37. raoul

raoul

@Almaj, I am not sure where that error comes from (it looks like a problem painting controls in the Inspector). You can send me the project so I can look at it.

But, EasyRoads3D is an editor tool, once you have build your roads etc, all editor objects can be removed. So it will definetely not result in errors when hitting Play in your final game.

Regarding the Price, I will very soon start a short Summer Sale.

@TheOtherMonarch, Intersections is not off the list, but it is taking a long time to fully implement. That's why I decided to look at tunnels in between because there are requests for that too. I am now finishing work on a v2 update. After that I will fix some bugs in the current intersections build so it is more stable.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  38. PrettyFlyGames

PrettyFlyGames

Hi guys thanks for a great tool!

However I want to use this with mobile devices and yes I know there are performance issues with terrains etc but I've solved those with a small terrain.

My question is what are the exact steps to run it on a mobile device?

Since there are specific windows dll files I cannot just include the tool and build it for a mobile device as it generates errors?

Do you recommend that you export the road and terrain as obj files and re-import them or is there a better solution?

Thanks!

39. PrettyFlyGames

PrettyFlyGames

I managed to find some posts that suggest that I do it as described above.

Can anyone suggest a good exporter that could also export the textures with splatter etc. As it would be very nice to have. Maybe that doesn't exist yet :)

40. raoul

raoul

Hi Dweebster,

EasyRoads3D is an editor extension. So indeed the dll files are not required in the final build.

You can either prepare things manually by dragging the final road mesh game object and side objects out of the road object hierarchy and completely remove the remaining road object. In this case you also have to double check the side object game objects scripts and remove scripts attached to these objects.

Or, you can run "Build EasyRoads3D Objects" from the main EasyRoads3D menu. This will do the same. But before doing this, I would recommend to duplicate the scene first so you have a backup of the original scene.

Regarding the terrain, you can export the terrain to .obj but that would only be for performance reasons. EasyRoads3D does nothing to the terrain that will result in errors.

Let me know if you have further questions!

41. michalss

michalss

Cau i use my own textures or does yr tool also can deploy cracked and destroyed roads?

42. raoul

raoul

Hi michalss,

Yes, you can use your own textures. The generated roads are ordinary game objects you can assign any material to it that you want. You can also export the roads to .obj, open it in a modelling App and add the destroyed bit to it.

43. tanoshimi

tanoshimi

Hi,

So I just tried downloading the latest version (2.4.7) of EasyRoads Free from unityterraintools.com, and imported the downloaded package into my existing project. The project itself is a bit messy - I tend to test things out in a "scratch" project, so it's got various extensions etc. already installed, but it's based on the Unity Car Tutorial (upgraded to v4.2).
    The package apparently imports ok, but trying to create a new Easy Roads object leads to the following error:

ArgumentException: The thing you want to instantiate is null.
    UnityEngine.Object.CheckNullArgument (System.Object arg, System.String message) (at C:/BuildAgent/work/cac08d8a5e25d4cb/Runtime/ExportGenerated/Editor/UnityEngineObject.cs:103)

The only existing report I can see for this error is here, but that's from two years ago, and the solution refers to a _Release Notes.txt file that is not present in the current download which apparently describes a method required to add EasyRoads to an existing project.

Am I right in thinking that I should just be able to import the package into my project and for it just to work? I did notice that the page at http://unityterraintools.com/downloads.php refers to it requiring Unity 4.0.x, so does EasyRoads not support Unity 4.2.x?

Or, if I'm just unlucky with it conflicting with another asset I have installed in this project, any ideas where I should start to debug? I know I could start with an empty project but, for this tool to be useful to me, I need to know it will play nicely with other assets.

Thanks for any advice or information - it looks like a really useful tool :)

44. raoul

raoul

Hi tanoshimi, EasyRoads3D should work just fine on Unity 4.2.x.

The first thing I would try is test it in a new fresh project. If that works well I would go back to your original project, remove the full EasyRoads3D folder and try importing it again. perhaps something went wrong during the previous import. If this still doesn not work, do you get error messages after importing the package?

Let me know if you need further help...

Raoul

45. jake-Kim

jake-Kim

$sideobj.png

hi, i have some problem.

if I turn on iOS platform then side obj something wrong.

Position 1: Display Object On
    Position 2: Display Object Off
    Position 3: Display Object On

have any idea ?

easyroad 2.5.3 pro
    unity 4.2.2f1

Attached Files:

46. raoul

raoul

Hi Jake, the iOS platform option was added 3 or 4 months ago. It is recommended to use that on longer tracks to deal with the generally known texture distortion issues on iOS.

I have not heard of other people having issues with this iOS platform option in general so I belief it is the specific settings in your project that is causing it. Can you move some markers or change the "distance" value in the Inspector for that side object? Does that solve the issue? Would it be possible to have a look at that Project? I will send you a pm with my email address.

Raoul

47. ConjureScape

ConjureScape

Not sure what I'm doing wrong..but when I process the terrain it comes out like this:
    $Screen Shot 2013-11-15 at 9.13.45.png

48. raoul

raoul

Hi 3d_Game_Ready, I see several things but I am assuming you are referring to the terrain deformation inside the terrain. Can you check your terrains Y position in the Inspector? It should be at 0. Let me know if that does not fix it.

Raoul

49. ConjureScape

ConjureScape

The Y position was indeed not zero. (I used zero as the ocean height and therefore lowered the terrain.) However adjusting it back to zero did not fix the problem. It works fine on new terrains. But somehow the existing terrain keeps getting the error?

50. ConjureScape

ConjureScape

Nevermind. Recreating the terrain from it's instance in the asset folder fixed it!