Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

EasyRoads3D v1.0 for Unity - Plugin version Online

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by raoul, Apr 29, 2009.

1. kondrup

kondrup

Hi Raoul

It's awesome that you listen so much to the community. From our point of view (since we are already in the middle of the project) we would very much like a beta version with crossroads - instead of waiting for more functions.

- and we also need to upgrade to Pro-version -hope we can use same solution as some of the others - where we pay the difference :)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  2. raoul

raoul

Good to know kondrop, and about the upgrade, yes, of course this is possible. Just contact me when you are ready to do this and I will send details.

Just added a special newsletter subscription option for crossroads where you can also post your feedback (like I asked in my previous post):

http://unityterraintools.com/crossroadsfeedback.php

If you are interested in this and have special requests, please subscribe!

As we are on a new page, for those interested in crossroads support, I posted a WIP video on the previous page...

Last edited: May 2, 2011
  3. alln2themusic

alln2themusic

What am I doing wrong? I just bought the Pro version and can't get it to work. My terrain is 40 units up and all the markers look correct, but when I'm adding markers for a road there's no white mesh data that shows up, only the markers. Please help Raoul. Thanks!

4. alln2themusic

alln2themusic

I didn't have the Location Selection button pressed.....its' working great so far :)

5. alln2themusic

alln2themusic

Raoul,

Is there a way to use normal mapped road textures with your easy roads 3d pro?

6. raoul

raoul

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  7. Adrenaline-Crew

Adrenaline-Crew

Raoul, when will you make this work with iphone? Can you implicate the terrain mesh like we spoke about? I am getting way to high poly count with my city model. I am about to purchase new models but i figure id rather give you my money

8. raoul

raoul

The next update will have the option to export the terrain. You could optimize it further in a modeling app and use it for the iphone.

9. Curious

Curious

Hey raoul,
    Just bought it from the app store, I'm having trouble with it though... I don't know if it is been answered or not but I get 39 errors right after the import!

The errors are like the above, I don't see your custom menu and I don't have a clue what to do!

Thanks for your help

10. raoul

raoul

Hey curious, that is strange, never heard that before. Did you try removing everything (Assets/EasyRoads3D) and download/import again? If it still fails, can you send me an email or drop me a PM with your email, I will then send you the package in zip so you can try that.

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  11. Curious

Curious

Its okay, tried it your way, seems that your package and the RTS package from unityprefab.com don't like each other!

[EDIT] Oh, and I can't paste my license info, it's really annoying to type a serial number you know ;)

Thank you

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  12. raoul

raoul

Ok, great, glad to hear you figured it out! Yes, I know, you have to type the serial number, I will look into that...

13. Veles

Veles

Hmm..Yesterday I buy v2.1.0 version from www.unityterraintools.com
    So as I understand you included Adjust terrain by Mesh option in that version but in my top EasyRoads3D menu this option is missing...
    Did I something missunderstood?
    Do I must buy a Pro version?

14. raoul

raoul

HI Veles,

I added this feature more or less for you because you asked for it but then I didn't hear from you anymore. While beta testing it, it turned out that the results on lower resolution terrains were not reliable. As I wanted to release the new update and I didn't hear from you anymore I decided to release the update without this specific feature. This is mentioned in the update post in the asset store forum section. The code as it is now is still there though I just removed the specific menu item. Can you send me a PM or email me through my website. I will let you know how to activate this feature so you can see if it works for you.

Raoul

15. SomebodyZA

SomebodyZA

This looks great, 2 questions though.

1. Does this tool allow you to create things like (T-junctions, Intersections etc.) where the road crosses or joins its self?
    2. Is it Unity3 indie compatible?

16. raoul

raoul

Thanks! Check out the previous page of this thread, I posted a WIP movie about Intersections a couple of weeks ago. So, not supported at the moment, but it is being worked on. For now, EasyRoads3D includes an export option, so you can export to .obj and merge your roads in a modelling app.

Yes, it is Indie compatible

17. SomebodyZA

SomebodyZA

Cool,we are thinking of buying this, we might wait for that version to come out 1st!

thanks for the quick response.

18. raoul

raoul

Ok, it will take a while though before that version will be officially released.

At the moment I am working on a complete makever for the side objects editor for procedural geometry. This is a seperate tool by itself part of EasyRoads3D. It will be much more flexible with more features such as support for multiple shapes per side object. Once this version is released I will start on implementing intersections as it is right now (the WIP video on the previous page) and will release this as a beta. Then many more features will be added. After this it will be officially released which will take months. But with the Pro license you will have access to the betas so you can already start using it after the first beta release...

19. SomebodyZA

SomebodyZA

Let us know when the first beta releases. :)

20. SomebodyZA

SomebodyZA

Caves and overhanging Cliffs? are these gonna be included in the easy roads package or are they gonna be separate?

21. raoul

raoul

It will be used in EasyRoads3D to dynamically create tunnels for roads. Once that is done I will probably also release this as a seperate tool with more functionality.

22. SomebodyZA

SomebodyZA

Hi there, we would like to make a suggestion. While the program is busy could you please add a progress bar or loading image or something to let us know that the there is a process running in the background

Regards: Jason

23. raoul

raoul

Hi Jason, I had a progressbar implemented in the early beginning but I actually found that updating the progressbar during all the processes increased the processing time quite a bit so I removed it. At the end some delay only really occurs when rendering the road and terrain and to a less extend when changing splatmap settings. I belief you get used to that quickly. But I could add a simpler progressbar if you guys find this useful. Something like: Building road > updating terrain heights > updating terrain vegetation > updating splatmap, etc...

24. SomebodyZA

SomebodyZA

That would be awesome! thanx for responding so fast.

Other than that we have bought a pro license and are very happy so far :)

Regards: Jason

P.S: Cant wait for cross roads :)

25. raoul

raoul

Thanks Jason, glad you like it! Let me know if you have questions...

Something new, for my project I decided to expand the side objects feature part of EasyRoads3D and make it more powerful. Regarding the end result, everything is already possible with the current version of EasyRoads3D but this new system has several new features to speed up the production work flow further. Apart from some glitches in the editor system, it is all working quite well now and I already started using it in my own project. I was intending to also implement it in the EasyRoads3D tool but not sure if you want it? Preparing a more stable version for a public release will take a little bit more time... So please let me know if you want me to do that.

Here is a movie showing 3 examples of for what / how it can be used (new editor features start at 1.37):

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  26. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

Could the custom objects bit possibly be used on custom meshes (not unity terrain?)

27. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

Great improvements. Side and custom objects are my favorite components of this fantastic tool. Thanks!
    As legend411 said ... it could be very useful to use EasyRoads3D on Custom Meshes and first of all the custom object placing tool.

28. raoul

raoul

@legend411, EasyRoads3D requires the Unity terrain object. However the raycasting for marker placement also works on meshes and you can turn off terrain snapping for Custom Objects. So technically it is possible to use it on meshes. Whether the generated geometry will align exactly with the meshes depends on the nature of your meshes. The scripts now use SampleHeight for terrain snapping but I can change that for a next version so vertices snapping works on meshes too.

@Sjm Tech, Thanks! Next week I will prepare a UnityPackage and send it to you so you can try it.

29. Colonel_Klink

Colonel_Klink

Hi Raoul
    This a really cool addition to the superb EasyRoads3D.
    Cheers
    Bob

30. Gary.Corp

Gary.Corp

thks for this update raoul,

Are you now planning now to create a MULTI TERRAIN feature ?
    This should improve a lot Easy Road !

31. Eva Maria

Eva Maria

Hi Raoul,

being able to use multiple side objects, as seen in your video, would be totally awesome! :D
    Keep up your great work and we would very much love to see those features integrated in your next release.
    All the best from Vienna

32. chewtoy

chewtoy

Yes, outstanding work Raoul! I use the side and custom objects feature quite extensively so welcome any improvement to their workflow. Great addition!

33. danters

danters

Hi Raoul!

I have received with joy the progress made in EasyRead and of course I'd like to see them in the final version. These tools are expected, as they are very useful.

Dante

34. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Another vote for those new awesome features!

Although I bought a license a while back and haven't had a chance to use it yet, I have a project in the wings that will definitely take advantage of side objects. Would love these new features!

35. DanX

DanX

Yes I would like to see the new improvements. This is a major time saver and an awesome addition to Unity. Thank you for your hard work and I am looking forward to future developments as well as this one.

36. psychicparrot

psychicparrot

The new functionality looks fantastic! I'd love it to be the next version, too :)

Nice work!

37. sharp911

sharp911

I would love to see this feature get implemented and even expanded in future versions of ER3D

38. jwilliamsen

jwilliamsen

Hi Raoul,

Thanks for keeping us updated. I think the new side objects feature would be useful - however - what I'm really excited for is intersections as much of what I'm using EasyRoads for is recreating existing "real world" roadways. Still, it's a great plugin and I can see that it's going to save me a lot of time over modeling the roads by hand.

39. etomp10291

etomp10291

Needs custom mesh support, I bought it to use on current project, but have not because I already had terrain made. Side objects useful also!!

40. disaldo

disaldo

Hi

Have made some limited use of this feature and feel it would be useful to keep. A great toolset

Disaldo

41. raoul

raoul

Thanks for all the feedback, very much appreciated! I will continue on improving it so it can be used in EasyRoads3D tool. Especially with regard to backwards compatibility with the current system, I will prepare an alpha build this week.

Those who already like to try it out, let me know and I will send it to you too.

Updating terrain data on multiple terrains can be a rather time consuming task when many terrain objects are involved. I have thought about how to implement this many times over the last months. Some of you may have seen the “Active Terrain” with combobox in “General Settings” in one of the previous versions. That is how I decided to implement this, it was just not finished yet. You will be able to select the active terrain, work on the roads covering that terrain and continue with the next terrain. “General Settings” will also have an option “Keep terrain Changes”. When checked the terrain will not be restored to its original state when switching back to edit mode. This way you will be able to update all terrains when you are done.

Support for intersections has most priority and being worked on. The demo movie I posted a couple of pages back is one thing. That part works. Implementing it in EasyRoads3D is next, the actual road must be visible in “Edit mode”, and it has to be integrated in the system that deforms the terrain. It is being worked on!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  42. kondrup

kondrup

Sounds good - can't wait to try it out! :)
    Any idea how long it will take?

43. raoul

raoul

It will include many features and will be an on going process for a while, but I will do my best to get a first beta version out before the end of next month.

44. raoul

raoul

Snapping to meshes instead of the Terrain object also works now. See sample video with snapping to a cube and a plane.

The video on the previous page of this thread shows how the wall elements were constructed in the Unity Editor, plus other examples of this upcoming new tool.

45. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

Jesus that was fast, you're amazing! I'll be purchasing tonight :)

46. raoul

raoul

:), but really, this was only a matter of changing terrain.SampleHeight to a Raycast function...

Remember it is still WIP, tomorrow I will prepare a first build of all of this for those interested to try it out. And with your purchase you will have access to this if you want. Send me an email so I know to whom to send it!

47. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

Do you think it would be within the realm of possibility to use the procedural generation stuff to somehow apply a mesh to all the steep slopes of a terrain, something like this? (if i had for instance a tileable rock mesh)

48. raoul

raoul

You mean invisible meshes with colliders acting like a boundary? That is already very easy to do with the current version. If you mean something else let me know.

EDIT: or do you mean the steep rock part itself? That is possible too but the geometry will be created along a spline according the 2D shape you created in the Editor so there will not be any variation on the sides in the forward direction of the spline. But good idea actually, I can add that as an option, some randomness...

In anyway, as you can see in the videos in terms of the end result, creating procedural geometry, it already is quite stable and very usable. There are some issues in the Editor but nothing critical that stops you from using it.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  49. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

Fantastic, i will try it immediately on my mesh terrain project...thanks Raoul

50. joni9887

joni9887

Hi Raoul
    New features are very much appreciated. I have been using your system since start and bought it thru your own site as well as recently thru asset store. Your work is highly useful and I look forward to your next inventions. Anything that rationalizes work while maintaining quality is
    a huge leap forward and a valuable time saver. Thx
    Best regards
    Johnny