Search Unity

Easy Water 2.0 - Mobile Compatible [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Grespon, May 3, 2012.

1. Grespon

Grespon

Thanks for pointing that. It's a noobie mistake. I forget to clamp the UV animation in the animate script. I've just upload a fix to the asset store. It takes some days to be approved. While this don't happen you can easily fix adding a "% 1" after the animation lines:
    ex:
    texture1UV.x = Time.time * texture1Speed.x;
    to
    texture1UV.x = Time.time * texture1Speed.x % 1;

2. DFledermaus

DFledermaus

Thanks, and wow that was fast!

3. Image3d

Image3d

How can I get shadows on the EWater/Reflective/EasyWater14_C2TBDOR360 shader.

I need that object cast shadows over the water.

4. Grespon

Grespon

Hi Image3d,
    Shadows on semi-transparent shaders is a hard job. You can notice Unity's builtin transparent shaders suffer from the same limitation.
    That happens basically because geometry stuff are rendered before transparent stuff. So you'll have to choose between transparency or shadows.. :(

5. super-cypher

super-cypher

6. Grespon

Grespon

7. super-cypher

super-cypher

hi

if i buy it can you add it or send to me? id just like to see how its all set up.

also does that work on a decent mobile (say like iphone 4s)?

thanks

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  8. Grespon

Grespon

I'm sorry.. I'm not sure I still have it.

9. super-cypher

super-cypher

please can you check lol? and what about the iPhone 4s? does the underwater shader work ok on that

sorry to be a pain

thanks

10. Grespon

Grespon

oooook ...I'll check that :p
    I think it will work fine on iPhone 4S but I didn't test it yet.

11. super-cypher

super-cypher

Hi
    any luck locating that scene...pretty please!

12. Grespon

Grespon

Yes, I found it. But I noticed I used a lot of third party assets, like sky and the UFPS character controller, so I would have to rework on that. It takes time, which and I'm short right now.

13. super-cypher

super-cypher

hi i already have ufps so no worries there (can send you screen shot of purchase details or whatever) and several sky packages, i probably have the one you used! i buy a lot of assets lol!

saves you having to change it.

14. CelticKnight

CelticKnight

I am very interested in buying the "Easy Water" asset, but, I saw this on the http://aruangrespan.com/easywater webpage:

UnderWater Effect will be included soon! WebDemo Here!
    Easy Water is a highly customizable set of shaders for water elements to be used with Unity.
    Would you be able to give an estimated date as to when the "Underwater Effect" will be added to EasyWater, and also a quick tutorial on how to use the 2 combined for complete noobs like me.

Thankyou and Regards.

15. Grespon

Grespon

Hi, well it's already included. I must update my website. But there is no tutorial for the underwater yet. Only a demo.

16. CelticKnight

CelticKnight

Oh ... I'll have to buy it then :), I've been putting it off. I only posted to see when it might be included. Any chance of a quick tut on YouTube or is it "basic" enough for a noob to figure out?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  17. Grespon

Grespon

Well, I'm kinda short on time to make a video, but any doubts you have just feel free to ask :)

18. CelticKnight

CelticKnight

That's a great compromise solution. I'll do that then, if I run into problems ;).

19. CelticKnight

CelticKnight

Well as I said I am a "noob" so I dragged the example water plane onto my environment and set it in the correct place, but, when I ran the scene - using only the default values, I didn't change a thing - there were no movement at all with the water.

So what am I doing wrong? When you placed the plane example in your demo you had some movement happening and when to did try and change the variable running into the script the decimal point kept jumping to the left and was very disconcerting - should that be occurring?

20. CelticKnight

CelticKnight

Another thing that is causing me concern is the Underwater effect - keep in mind that I have only been using Unity since Jan 7, but, when I placed the Underwater effect in place and hit the play button I was expecting it to look somewhat like the demo. I wasn't expecting it to be so bright under the water with 100% visibility, is there anything I can do about that? It didn't really look underwatery. I started playing around with that "caustics" element because it was there for a reason it put it in the "lake", and that did help a little, but, the caustics element was showing up on the surrounding hills, I tried centring it and taking it down lower, but, it didn't stop it showing up on land, and at one place goes quite high up the hills and all around the water- so is there anything I can do to stop that?

21. Grespon

Grespon

Hi. Sorry for not answering fast. It's been carnival in Brazil..I'm not home now so I can't help too much, but concerning the caustics, you have to turn it on and off according to the player's position (underwater or not), or you can aply it only to a specific layer. This way you would have to put the underwater soil on that layer.

22. CelticKnight

CelticKnight

How do I turn it on and off based on the player position? :confused:

That is well-above my pay-grade at the moment o_O, I wouldn't even know where to start!

23. Grespon

Grespon

Well, It's an easy task. It's gonna be a great exercise for you.
    You can activate/deactivate a game object from script using gameObject.SetActive(true/false).
    Create a script for the water object and compare it's y position with the player's y position (gameObject.transform.position.y).
    You can create public vars so you can drag the caustics projector and the player.

24. nukeD

nukeD

Hey Grespon, i just had a small visualisation job with a very limited time, your water saved my ass!

Thank you!

Click for web player

DesertRaven likes this.
  25. radimoto

radimoto

Nice work @nukeD !

Is Easy Water compatible with Unity 5 ?

26. CelticKnight

CelticKnight

That looks amazing @nukeD ! I wanted to start swimming around to see more of it :cool:.

27. Grespon

Grespon

Wow! Thanks for sharing @nukeD ! That's awesome! Those shadows are camera post effects, right ?

28. Grespon

Grespon

@radimoto I didn't test with Unity 5 yet, sorry..

29. nukeD

nukeD

Thanks a lot guys!
    Yes, sunshafts, i had to do something to give the water density, fog alone worked well, but the shafts and some lens aberration adds a lot. To reiterate, without the water the effects are nothing.

30. Grespon

Grespon

Not working with Unity 5 yet. I'll try to find out why.

31. CelticKnight

CelticKnight

Thanks for doing that Grespon - I was considering switching but I'll hold back for a while.

32. Grespon

Grespon

Well, I made the shaders appear in Unity 5 (no error anymore), BUT I don't know why the calculations for reflection are producing a different result than in Unity 4..

Investigating...

33. Grespon

Grespon

Well, I'm managing to make it look the way it should in Unity 5, but it brings implications... because there will be people using Unity 4 instead...

I think I'll need to make separated folders for each version. I'll let you guys know when I upload the new package.

34. yourHost

yourHost

Great asset!

Can you share how you fixed this to work in Unity 5?

Thanks!

35. Grespon

Grespon

Yes:
    If you wanna fix it by yourself, there's some things you need to do:
    Taking EW14_C_TT_B_D_FO_R shader for example:

- at line 40, add 'alpha' at the end: #pragma surface surf WetSpecular alpha
    - at line 41, change to #pragma target 3.0
    - at line 201, change to 1.5 - saturate ( dot ( IN.normal, normalize(IN.viewDir )) ); (I have no idea why the calcs produced different result with Unity 5)

Cheers,
    Grespon

36. super-cypher

super-cypher

Hi

do you have a time frame for when the unity 5 version will be ready? don't mean to be impatient but i really need it asap

many thanks.

37. Grespon

Grespon

I've just uploaded the new version. Let's wait until it's approved by the Asset Store.

38. yourHost

yourHost

Awesome, thanks.

39. Nurviz

Nurviz

Good to know. bought this a week ago and have been trying to get the underwater shaders to work with no luck.
    I have my own caustics on an "underwater" layer projecting on a plane but no density etc.

Attached Files:

40. Grespon

Grespon

Easy Water's underwater effect have no density as well.. my example was made with fog. NukeD's example was made with sunshaft pos-processing effect and probably fog too..
    What comes with EasyWater is caustics and the water ceiling.

41. DesertRaven

DesertRaven

How hard or easy would it be to apply this water to a custom surface?

42. Grespon

Grespon

Well, it really depends on the surface shape..since movements are calculated by UV..

43. DesertRaven

DesertRaven

A flat pool water surface, organic shape 2D.

44. Grespon

Grespon

Sure.. I can't see why not.

DesertRaven likes this.
  45. DesertRaven

DesertRaven

Is this in c# or JS?

46. Grespon

Grespon

It's a set of shaders, so they are all written in shaderlab language. There's a simple js script to animate the textures. It can be easily converted to C#. A very few programming knowledge required.

47. John-B

John-B

Maybe a strange question, will Easy Water work in a cave? In other words, no sky box, walls and ceiling a fairly uniform texture. I'm asking because another water shader I tried didn't work in my scene, the water was almost completely invisible. I'm looking for something that looks like Unity's Nighttime Water Pro, which looks great in the cave, transparent and very reflective, but really slows things down on iOS.

48. Grespon

Grespon

Well, it a set of shaders with vast possibilities. But making it look nice will depend on the artists. It goes with few example textures to put into the texture slots but people usually change the textures and normal maps to fit their projects. About 2 years ago there was a guy using Easy Water inside a cave but I forgot the link to the demo. It was pretty cool. I can't see a reason to not work in any place..
    About Unity's Nighttime, I didn't even try, so I don't know..

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  49. John-B

John-B

I'd like to see the cave demo, or at least know how it was done. There's lots to experiment with, so it may take a while to get everything figured out.

One thing, in one scene it seems to stop working after a few seconds. Looks great, then suddenly it stops. See the attached picts. On the left you can see moving ripples right after I click Run. On the right is a few seconds later, just straight lines with nothing moving or rippling. Lava-Sample.jpg

Nevermind. I see my bump map wasn't set to repeat.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  50. Grespon

Grespon

So you're making lava.. I would love to see a running demo..
    I don't believe I'll find the cave demo..I tried searching the messages but it's not there.. I think the link was on Skype but theres nothing there anymore.