Search Unity

Early WIP Bike Physics.

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by WonkyWooGames, Nov 2, 2011.

1. LS16BMX

LS16BMX

What I have done has never been done before, real physics simulation, nothing scripted and all calculated on the fly. Yes i've posted this in as many places as possible as maybe somebody somewhere will realise what i'm creating and get excited ! No more unrealistic games, full simulation all the way.
    A demo will be posted as soon as its possible, perhaps sooner if anybody would like to help, god knows i've asked enough times.
    As for a propper camera and going round a track I don't know what you mean, i'm not creating a racing game, the fun of this game is riding the bike however the same principles would work in a racing game. Every bike game ever made has been a poor imitation of proper physics. With modern engines that needs not be the case anymore.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  2. WonkyWooGames

WonkyWooGames

@LS16BMX : The bike is simulated using forces and torques only. Check out my car dynamics also, it's exactly the same dynamics engine so I can simulate any amount of wheels, within in reason. Just checked out your video, keep up the good work.

@Shallows : Thanks for your very detailed and constructive comments. You are correct, the in air control is only applying forces and torques as a gameplay measure for easy stability control using a simple dampening control system. This makes it easy for everyone to be able todo flips and spins, more SSX like and does not feel like a real motorbike in air, but this is gameplay I'm after. However I would be very keen to add a control scheme like you describe eventually, maybe as an extreme difficulty. As I keep iterating, if you have the time I'd like to keep getting your feedback. Very useful indeed. Hopefully, to maybe keep you interested I was a developer on Motorstorm and PGR4.

I have been working on wheelies and endos, but they are actually disabled as currently the make the bike a little unstable in certain situations. Work perfectly on a flat plane :) Sods law. So I won't include these until I resolve most of the issues.

The bike translates, with a few changes, very nicely into a skier. Stay tuned for another demo.

3. WonkyWooGames

WonkyWooGames

@LS16BMX : Sorry I missed your first post on developing outside of unity. Yes, the dynamics are initially written in c++ and I assume that there is some physics middleware that simulates the rigid body and collision. The three biggest being Havok, PhysX and Bullet. My dynamics provide the forces and torques to the rigid body so it is truly portable across systems. For Unity, I converted my c++code in c#. There are some difference between physics middleware engines and how they are simulated and setup, i.e. the game loop.

My advice, go and take allow at these physics engines. All have their strengths and weaknesses.

4. doomprodigy

doomprodigy

Yeah that's cool but I was meaning just a proper bike cam and some props or jumps so we can test how it works instead of just the one jump.

Thats pretty cool working on Motorstorm and PGR4, you know what your doing then haha. I can keep giving feedback when needed, subscribed*

Peace,

5. Gherid_lacksGPS

Gherid_lacksGPS

oh yeah. stomped a Rodeo 7 in a "transitiony" area somewhere, too.

LS16BMX...do not tease me with a proper bmx street sim....that is very cruel.....heaven forbid a freeride/downhill mountain bike ride.....

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  6. LS16BMX

LS16BMX

Thanks for taking the time to explain this, I've looked at the other engines however i'm not an experienced programmer and documentation seems sorely lacking to enable somebody like myself to understand and make good use of these middleware programes.
    You mention your car dynamics, do you have a link to this I can check out (couldn't find anything on your site) ?
    I picked up unity because it was easy to get up and running and I could find plenty of tutorials to help me along the way. I have run into issues and looked elsewhere for solutions but never really found anything that I couldn't overcome in unity. I've also asked for advice many times but never managed to invoke any kind of useful responses, perhaps until now :)
    I really need to help and guidance of somebody like yourself however at the same time I realise what I want to create hasn't (to my knowledge) ever been realised at any level of production from aaa games to even high end computer dynamics simulations. Bike and rider dynamics are as you are well aware incredibly difficult to simulate acuratly so this journey will never be an easy one, but defiantly worthwhile.

Yup I know mate, i'm working on it, I do have some other videos on my channel I chose that one as it shows a range of movement in a raw form so you can asses whats happening better than a follow cam like this -
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FPoFwB_k8E&hd=1
    As far as a demo goes or proper scenery you have to understand that this is early wip where i'm experimenting with controlling bike physics only. Everything else is very easy to add later on when it is a demo will be posted for everybody to try out, I don't believe in totally closed development at any level :O)

Haha I know what you mean fella, I feel like i'm getting closer and closer all the time but its incredibly frustrating developing something like this. rest assured though when i've cracked it i'll have a mountain bike spin off, perhaps even a scooter game for the kids lol

7. WonkyWooGames

WonkyWooGames

8. dingosmoov

dingosmoov

Have you continued to develop your Bike Physics? Will you be putting it on the asset store?

Sincerely,
    dingo

9. OverDozing

OverDozing

Omg, this is awesome!!!!!!!!!!
    I've been trying to do something like that in the past with no success.
    I love the way the bike move in your demo. It's perfect in my opinion.
    I am away from Unity cause no time for it. But sincerely, your stuff is awesome.
    I could get back into Unity just to play around with your bike physics :)
    Don't abandon that stuff, give it away or sell it, but don't abandon it please!

10. Deleted User

Deleted User

I love bmx!!!, I bought the 2 whee l prefab, added some of my own code, added an animated character..Great work, I am not alone!!

p-

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2012
  11. TiG

TiG

Nice job Wonkywoogames, it has a nice feeling for arcade style games.

I should warn you that the physics of those that you have mentioned are different enough. I have worked with all of them except skateboarding, there are some key differences that changes alot in the physics controls.

12. PAHeartBeat

PAHeartBeat

nice work dear.....

You guy steel on work it? I want to know what's max speed it will be run. on velosity and max RPM

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  13. WonkyWooGames

WonkyWooGames

It's nice that people like it.

Unfortunately, this has been put on the back burner whilst I complete other contracts. Need to pay the bills :)

I'll be releasing an update later in the year without programmer graphics, along with a new car and skiing demo to boot. Now back to contract work.

14. Gherid_lacksGPS

Gherid_lacksGPS

You mentioned earlier that you did not plan on releasing this as an asset. Have you changed your mind on this, then? Again, great stuff. I still come back and play around with it - like now, heh.

15. WonkyWooGames

WonkyWooGames

No, I still won't be releasing to the asset store.

The basics are there, so we are currently deciding upon what type of game to make and environments, ie Motocross, Mountain Bike, BMX, maybe Track Cycling considering how brilliant Team GB is :) Of course the target platform is important too. I would be interested in peoples opinion/preference on initial target platforms. My thoughts are initially latest iOS devices and Mac. Might be a decent market a Mac game, not Massive but enough to pay bills !

16. PAHeartBeat

PAHeartBeat

Hi Wonky,

If you thinking about devices, I just suggest plan to develop base iOS and android and device, but not on based of latest one just previous release of latest one.
    and if you plan to start work on this project. please update on all developers, your project is too good as on my view point. and it's will be helpfull to people, and also update when you plan to put your project on Assets Store

17. Gherid_lacksGPS

Gherid_lacksGPS

Have you considered the forthcoming Ouya? Also, there has been a lack of proper BMX titles the past, well, decade. Though, something like a downhill or freeride mountain bike game would be really, really slick and showcase your work quite well.

18. WonkyWooGames

WonkyWooGames

@Gherid_lacksGPS - I haven't thought about Ouya. Maybe it's time I did. Yeah, a BMX game will be cool. This is at the top of our ideas list to be explored.

@RAJPatel - Do you mean move to the Work In Progress forum or just update my website on a more regular basis (something I'm really bad at). It's difficult knowing what to release and show to the public as I don't want competitors with a larger team to get a jump on my project. This is why I'm happy to put out a demo demonstrating the physics, but not giving the game away showing great graphics. On the flipside it's great marketing creating development blog. Mmmm, we'll see. It'll definitely be on an iOS and Mac devices. I'm not much of a fan of Android at the moment.

Anyway, managed to spend a few hours today away from contract work to get the basics of my AI system and tools working within Unity. Having spent the majority of my career developing AI for AAA projects, nice to get back to it after a 2.5 years :)

Stay tuned...

19. PAHeartBeat

PAHeartBeat

update means about the work, not just update your website on regular basis, even I am also really bad and lazy about it.

20. akash437

akash437

are u going to make a tutorial for this.....???

21. wana7262

wana7262

can i have the source or bike script please?

22. Aratic

Aratic

this game would be 100% perfect for and motocross game, if it felt a little heavier to move around this would be very ideal for an awesome mx game!

23. WonkyWooGames

WonkyWooGames

24. ravikumar

ravikumar

Hi Wonky,

Your bike physic is really good.
    I need this physics how i want to get..?

25. WonkyWooGames

WonkyWooGames

Sorry, it's not for sale. Numerous projects on the go using them, but held up making a living with contract work. Hopefully, a downhill mountain bike game will be developed this year. I'll update thread as soon as I have something better than my last demo.

Good luck with your project @Ravikumar.

26. ravikumar

ravikumar

Thnx for your replay.

Good luck

27. WonkyWooGames

WonkyWooGames

Finally, I'm able to show off a WIP video of a downhill mountain bike game called Flow - Downhill, we are making with these bike physics. Platforms will be Windows Phone, iOS and Android initially. Here is the link : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9479226/MS/Flow.mp4

We'll have a playable demo soon. Please check back.

LS16BMX likes this.
  28. LS16BMX

LS16BMX

Looks promising fella, may well have a few questions :)

29. WonkyWooGames

WonkyWooGames

Thanks @LS16BMX, any questions please ask.

30. WonkyWooGames

WonkyWooGames

Here is the youtube video as I realise alot of people do not like to click random links.

_met44 likes this.
  31. WonkyWooGames

WonkyWooGames

Please check out our new improved video, getting over 45k hits in two days.

To view video, please use password: flowdh

Unfortunately, development of this has moved from Unity3d to using the Unreal Engine.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
  32. bcman

bcman

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  33. StealThePixels

StealThePixels

What is a good asset for arcade scooter/moped racing ?
    I want my users to be able to choose among scooters with different basic parameters such as max velocity, acceleration and handling, and the simulation must be limited in favor of fun, since it is an arcade.