Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[DEMO Available] Photon M.O.B.A - Mech Online Battle Arena

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by perick, Feb 5, 2016.

1. perick

perick

Hi guys,

I'm Erick from Sertão Games, developer of PUN Rally, an online multiplayer complete project/tutorial for the Unity Asset Store. It's been developed under the supervision and published by Exit Games, the makers of the Photon Unity Network (PUN), the most popular network and relay service providers for Unity.

Besides maintaining and updating the rally pack, I've started a new, more ambitious one, that I plan to release in about two months: M.O.B.A (Mech Online Battle Arena). It's a moba game (like LoL, Dota 1/2, Hon, HotS, etc), but with a sci-fi setting (a bit like starcraft).

[NEW] Video #0 on the tutorial series

Alpha demo available! Links bellow:

Please, start by reading the Game instructions, and then download one of the binaries:

Mac
    Windows
    Linux

And here's a copy of the quick-reference guide:

Screenshots from current prototype (in game item store and hero selection scene):

[very early] work in progress prototype 3d models (already animated and being tested inside Unity's editor):

Screen Shot 2016-02-05 at 00.55.38.png

It's also a tutorial/game-template, complete with modular and heavily commented source code, original assets, a PDF tutorial (last was 30+ pages, this will be around 50 or more) and a video series with the making of and my personal take on the project.

I've already developed a simple MOBA before (for a local 24h speed-jam challenge a couple of years ago), but this time the feature set is more complete, and I'll be using many nice features from Unity and Photon as well.

Feature-list for release:
    • Game lobby, match creation, match join, etc;
    • Mecha-selection screen, team setup;
    • Navmesh-enabled three-lane map with neutral areas (and creatures);
    • Minimap (see team heros and enemies near them);
    • Home base, nexus and towers;
    • Data structures for storing match statistics per team/player;
    • Minion, Tower and Neutral-creature AIs;
    • Modular, heavily commented code;
    • Original animated 3D mecha models (source blender files might be provided for buyers on request);
    • Authoritative master-client architecture (a player machine acts as authoritative server for the others);
    • Event-oriented communication with server, local navigation and animations (not relying on Transform synchronisation to avoid overloading the network);
    • Easy data-based system for setting up item trees, abilities, weapons, etc;
    • Text chat;
    Planned for incremental updates:
    • New heros (4 sample heros will be available on launch, more will come with each incremental update);
    The features are mostly based on LoL, but I'm totally open for suggestions on how to make this a great asset for you guys. As it's being the case with PUN Rally, this pack will receive a lot of updates and support through the official forum thread for the pack.

I'm also planning to have a working demo ready for GDC this year (I'll be attending), so if any of you want to test it there, please keep in contact.

Please, feel free to send any feedback, suggestion or critic. It'll always be well received and pondered.

Erick Passos

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
    RavenOfCode likes this.
  2. chrisabranch

chrisabranch

Can't wait to buy it!!

3. perick

perick

Hi guys,

I've been working a lot over the past days, and the M.O.B.A tutorial/game is taking shape. Here's a screenshot of the entire prototype map and my prototyping scene as of now:

Screen Shot 2016-02-08 at 00.16.26.png

Besides all the features I mentioned in the first post, I'm working with a set of meta-goals to make this a killer tutorial for beginners, and also a good material for more experienced developers who may want to save time:

• Code organisation: Every single script should have less than 50 lines of code (besides the heavy commenting - I want the code to be very easy to understand);
    • Script reuse: Individual scripts for character-data, weapon, animation-control, etc, will be the same for towers, heros, minions and buildings, just using different parameters;
    • Project organization: there will be only three scenes, and assets will be straightforward to find and replace;
    • Extensibility: a moba is a very complex type of game, so the project must be very flexible, and I'll include options for control schemes besides the data-based system for weapons, items, etc. As with the projects, I'll be willing to support any developer who uses our pack to create a game based on this pack;

An extra: I've worked on the mecha (one of the heros) animation, that now has a much better looking walk-cicle, and refined the procedural neck-control. Code for health bars (shown here in this screenshot) and lots of other stuff are being created and tested as well:

jeni.png

As I mentioned in the first post, I'll make all original source files 3d model, textures, and animations available to buyers on request. Here are some screens of the rigged 3d models for the mecha above and a tower (which will have the "neck" and canons rigged and animated procedurally in Unity):

blender1.png
    blender2.png

Best
    Erick

4. perick

perick

New screenshots of the first multiplayer prototype up and running with fighting minions and farming heros:

moba1.png moba2.png

5. chrisabranch

chrisabranch

will it have a inventory system and a way to trade items?

6. perick

perick

Hi chris... It will be server-LESS, so I have no plans, as of now, to have a permanent item collection for players (or registered players, etc). The game will have items to buy during the match though (with gold collected from last hits).

The focus is on how to synchronise dozens of moving game objects in a 10 client environment (2 5-player teams + minions + towers, etc);

To have a permanent item collection (inventory), the best solution is to integrate something such as PlayFab or other middleware with that specific purpose (Photon is not intended for player registration).

Believe me, this is an order of magnitude more complex than PUN Rally, and my goal is to make it simple for you guys to understand it well.

One example: there will be NO transform realtime synchronisation, but actually events sync. This is the approach used in all of these RTSs and MOBAs since the first starcraft... It is a completely different thing (compared to a racing or FPS, for instance).

A permanent item collection is not discarded in a future add-on, however (together with player registration, etc). But not in the next few months.

7. chrisabranch

chrisabranch

8. perick

perick

Working full steam on the GDC early prototype. Many of the features are ready. Will spend the next couple of weeks on visual polishing, etc. Here are some new screenshots (also included on thread's main post).

Hero selection screen, in game item store and hero farming minions:

9. chrisabranch

chrisabranch

visual polishing is nice, but most people that buy the kit will be replacing your models with there own.
    will the kit be easy to swap models? same with the GUI.

yours looks very good BTW :)

10. perick

perick

Thanks

I know they'll be replaced. Polishing is a way of getting the current code out of my mind for a couple of days. Then I come back and do refactorings to make the code more clear... I'm very confident about the quality of this pack.

11. perick

perick

We did a playtest section last weekend followed by a week of bug fixing. The current prototype has all planned features, and we're close to code freeze (finish coding, and then only polishing and writing tutorials, etc.).

We now plan to have the following documentation (in PDF) coming with the project/tutorial:

• Game Manual - a simple 2-pages illustrated manual for the Demo;
    • MOD Guide - no-programming-required to build a game based on the project (replacing graphics, creating new items & characters, balancing, etc, everything without touching the code);
    • Development tutorial - 100+ pages of detailed illustrated tutorial on how the project was built, including explanations of code sections, scenes, GUI and game object hierarchy and individual components;

Here are some new screenshots of the prototype, showing a more complete GUI system for the player:

moba-new-item-store.png
    moba-new-mecha-selection.png

12. perick

perick

Very good progress so far. I'm planning to give access to a working Demo starting next week...

So here is the updated screenshot of the in-game GUI (new item store, mini stats for team mechas on the left and messages on top):

Screen Shot 2016-02-27 at 19.47.12.png

13. chrisabranch

chrisabranch

looking good

14. perick

perick

Just because you're following the thread, here are the instructions for the Demo (download links included):
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8878096/MOBAInstructions.pdf

Notice that this is a pre-alpha, and there are some bugs, and some GUI is missing or incoherent with the rest (yet).

And here's the draft for the Demo Manual: game-manual.png

John-G likes this.
  15. chrisabranch

chrisabranch

will it support 3rd person view?

16. perick

perick

What do you mean 3rd person view?

The current camera implementation is a copy of the one in League of Legends:
    Mode 1: Follows your hero, with zoom in and out (scroll);
    Mode 2: Free camera with zoom in and out (scroll);

You switch modes by pressing F (follow);

Normally cameras do not rotate in Mobas because that'd be too confusing given the game pace (with 10 players it's just one less thing to think about: where am I looking at).

BUT, there's nothing impeding you on changing the camera script for a third person follow (many available here in the forums). It'd be one line of code to change in one of my scripts (where the local player's mecha is created) to attach the mecha for you own camera script.

17. perick

perick

Just complementing my latest comment on cameras: If you're thinking about a third person such as a 3d platformer, I think it'd be very difficult to control your mecha from that view (in a Moba, or RTS, you need a good top down view of the battle to click right on the targets, and to see what's coming from all directions, hence the almost top-down traditional camera.

18. perick

perick

First video (#0) is up:

19. perick

perick

Screenshots of the 4 mechas that will be available on release (textures still to be improved). The idea of the sample mechas provided with the project is to show how you can create dozens of them by balancing different speed, armour, weapon power, abilities and level improvements on each mecha/hero/champion for your game.

Jeni is an ADC (Attack Damage Carry). Her basic damage improves with levels and are a great asset for late game. She is an example mecha of how to balance an attack mecha that is fragile at first, but will be powerful at the end, if leveled properly.
    moba-mecha-jeni.png

Nia is an explorer (Jungle). She is balanced to be played solo while exploring the map in search of creatures.
    moba-mecha-nia.png

Luna is a Support mecha. She's designed to be Jeni's companion in early and mid game, helping her in leveling.
    moba-mecha-luna.png

Chery is a tank mecha. She's resistant and a great asset in a team-fight.
    moba-mecha-chery.png

20. perick

perick

More updates:

We're in feature-freeze phase, which means:
    - All features are working as planned (even new ones we added in the meantime);
    - Code is ready (just some refactoring and optimisations still due);
    - Most of the code commenting is ready as well;
    - Doing some visual polishing every other day;
    - I'm already writing the tutorial materials...:)

Talking about the tutorials, besides the demo quick-reference guide, this is what will come with the project:

moba-mod-guide.png
    The MOD Guide shows how to create your own moba game without programming. You'll just replace graphics, assemble items, and balance characters, without the need to write or modify a single line of code.​

moba-code-manual.png
    The source code manual is the traditional long tutorial, explaining every aspect of the project, scene hierarchies, communication architecture and source code. It is expected to have almost 100 illustrated pages.​

21. KrazyRaven

KrazyRaven

Can't wait! Any date set for the release?

22. perick

perick

Hi Raven,

I was planning to release the pack at the end of this month, but I'm considering integrating a lockstep/rollback (with deterministic physics system to it. This might take a bit more time, but it'd make it use exactly the same systems used in AAA mobas and RTSs.

Are you familiar with these netcode concepts?

23. KrazyRaven

KrazyRaven

I know what they are but I have no idea how to implement them. Will you continue expanding the project after release?

24. perick

perick

Yes, of course... I have some things going on under NDA now, so I'm not sure if I wait to release it later, or if I release it as is, and do a major update (basically with a new netocde) later on... Tough question...:)

I'll have a decision in about one week and let you guys know. I'll probably release it early, but make clear that it's going to be upgraded very soon to a much more robust (and contemporary) netcode.

25. KrazyRaven

KrazyRaven

Is there any chance you'll release a uNet version of the project?

26. perick

perick

There's a chance yes, but it'll be a highly modified version using lockstep (which UNet doesn't have out of the box).

27. KrazyRaven

KrazyRaven

Has it been released yet?

28. KrazyRaven

KrazyRaven

Is the project being delayed?

29. perick

perick

Yes, it is delayed because I'm considering integrating it with a lockstep system I'm developing. But I might release it without it before that.

I've asking what do you guys think about this option.

30. KrazyRaven

KrazyRaven

Do you have a release date set yet?

31. JessieK

JessieK

So first there were NO moba kits now there are two, I am so hyped, can't wait to try this one.

32. KrazyRaven

KrazyRaven

How is the lockstep system coming along?

33. perick

perick

Hi. It's going very well. It's under close beta testing right now and Exit Games (Photon) plan to release it sometime around next month (I think I didn't mention that it will be an official photon product - we'll release more details soon).

There's a LOT of very exciting things being developed for it, and we hope this pack will be and amazing sample of a proper Moba/RTS, implemented with the same multiplayer features as major titles.

I'm very sorry I can't talk much yet and that I can't release it the way it is. The approach I did at first works fine for a certain number of units (I tested up to 60-80), but it won't go much further because of network traffic. When we release this under the lockstep system, it'll work for hundreds of Units without affecting the network load at all.

34. KrazyRaven

KrazyRaven

Sounds good! I can't wait for this project to be complete!
    Will the development tutorial be free or will you have to buy the project to get it?

35. KrazyRaven

KrazyRaven

Has Exit Games released the lockstep system? Would we be able to find info about on their website?

36. perick

perick

we're in closed beta now... do not have an ETA yet, but we've rolled out some info about it in the latest newsletters. The product will be called truesync.

37. forza2121

forza2121

expect release, did you have a server in your project or one player as a server?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  38. zeb33

zeb33

itching to try.. any update news?

39. change

change

Any possibility to buy the lockstep framework only?

40. perick

perick

Yes, of course.

Actually it is a new product called Photon TrueSync. It is already under evaluation by Unity for being released in the Asset Store.

It is also available as early access for Exit Games customers and selected interested developers. You might try reaching us at developer@photonengine.com

Erick

change likes this.
  41. KrazyRaven

KrazyRaven

Any progress updates?

onurkaraduman likes this.
  42. cruiseretirement

cruiseretirement

I too would be interested in hearing of any updates.

onurkaraduman likes this.
  43. DJ_Design

DJ_Design

Has this been discontinued?

44. kreso

kreso

As far as I know, Exit games published True Sync (deterministic, lockstep multiplayer), it didn’t live too long and got canceled.
    Right now Exit games offers ‘Quantum’, similar to what is discussed here.

I’m not affiliated with Exit, I just follow whats out there since for 5 years I’m hoping to see a good & affordable solution for deterministic multiplayer...