Search Unity

[NEW v7] Dynamic Fog & Mist 2 with Built-in and URP support

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Kronnect, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi there!

We're happy to announce the availability of Dynamic Fog & Mist 2, a full-screen image effect that adds live, moving Fog, Mist and Sky Haze to your scenes making them less dull and boring.

NEW 7! Includes support for Universal Rendering Pipeline!

Dynamic Fog & Mist is optimized for performance and includes 6 fog effect variants plus a collection of custom materials (optional). The latest addition overcomes the limitations of depth based fog effects allowing fog to appear around your view even if there's no geometry in front of you.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    turboscalpeur likes this.
  2. gurayg

gurayg

Congrats! Looks promising.
    I have some questions, I'd appreciate if you can answer.

-I'd like to know how much it takes in ms to compute such an effect?
    -Is there a downloadable demo?
    -Can we use our own textures? How much can we customize its look?
    -Does it play good with other Screen Space Effects? DoF, SSAO
    -Does this system somehow use particles or is it pure Screen Space and no geometry is generated at all?
    -Is it possible to add a Rain effect with this system?

Thanks

3. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hello!

It's a full screen image effect so it depends on screen resolution, not geometry.
    Inside my Unity Editor on a MBP Retina (late 2012 model) with Game window occupying entire panel, runs at 200-300 fps with the advanced fog shader.

Well, no. There's the video though, recorded from my Unity Editor.

The fog doesn't alter your textures nor shaders. It composites over the rendered frame, having into account depth and normals buffers so it should work with your current scenes.

You can configure the following parameters:

- Effect type: this is one of the 3 shaders variations included ("advanced", which uses a more complex algorithm for a more realistic effect, "normal with sky" which is a little bit faster and "only ground" which doesn't affect the sky).
    - Preset: a collection of 6 pre-configured parameters for a quick setup. You can of course change the parameters afterwards.
    - Alpha: overal translucency of the fog.
    - Noise strength: controls the power of the randomness of the fog. It will make the fog more or less uniform.
    - Distance and distance falloff: controls where the fog begins and the roughness of the transition.
    - Height and height falloff: same for the height.
    - Turbulence: controls how much chaos is applied to the fog movement.
    - Speed: the speed of the animation.
    - Color: the tint of the fog.
    - Sky haze: controls the fog impact on the sky. The greater the value the more visible and tall will be the fog on the horizon.
    - Sky speed and noise strength: works similar to the above parameters but restricted to the sky.

Yes, works well with others. Tested also with Antialiasing.

Pure Screen Space effect.

Do you mean if it's compatible with a rain particle system? Yes, it has been tested with some rain fx particle systems on the Asset Store. Tested also with standard smoke and fire particle systems.

4. XaneFeather

XaneFeather

Looks interesting. Any planned support for volumes? Similarily to AmplifyColor volumes work. Setting gameobject + volume that define settings for Fog & Mist to fade in and out depending on if the camera is in- or outside said volume.

5. Kronnect

Kronnect

That's a good idea. Thank you!

6. gurayg

gurayg

I thought since this is a screen fx that mimics particle behaviours, instead of using a rain particles we might be able to use screen space rain with this system. But after reading your answer; It doesn't look like a possibility.
    But if coupled with a particle rain "Dynamic Fog & Mist" can work as rain particles raising from ground.

XaneFeather's idea is really good! It would be nice to be able to discard interiors from the effect.

One more thing;
    Watching the video again, I thought this can also be used as Cloud shadows. Do you think it is feasible?

I've already added this to my Wish List.

7. Kronnect

Kronnect

Cloud shadows? Yes, it could be done. Are you thinking of integrating fog with other asset?
    Next version will feature volumetric fog with volumes and other special effects.

8. radimoto

radimoto

Hi there, I just bought this to use in some VR projects with my Oculus DK2.

It is working however when you look down the fog speeds up, and when you look up the effect is cut off. I have tried setting the distance settings as far as they go but the fog only works for a certain distance...

This video shows what it looks like with the DK2

9. gurayg

gurayg

Yes I was hoping I could use "Dynamic Fog & Mist" with
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/33271
    PA Particle field also has Volumes to control where the particles spawn. And since you're looking at a possible Volume support, I thought of asking any change of integration.

My last question is, Did you test this with Deferred/Linear rendering? Are there any Rendering path or Color Space restrictions?

10. Kronnect

Kronnect

thanks for the video. I'll check this issue and post a fix on our support forum. I'm also already working on v2. I recommend you to signup on kronnect.com and continue discussions over there, where you will be able to download new betas as well.

11. Kronnect

Kronnect

The volume support is implemented through a script which acts over a box collider, so I think it could work with PA Particle if it also uses box colliders (you should then add our script to their volumes). The standard way would be the classic Menu Item / GameObject / Create Other / Fog Volume. And you will setup the position/scale of the box collider.

I have tested the fog with linear and deferred, both linear and gamma. Regarding HDR you should add this image effect after Tonemapping.

12. Kronnect

Kronnect

V1.1 available with minor fixes and tweaks. Important news soon!

XaneFeather likes this.
  13. Kronnect

Kronnect

Regarding performance, here's a recent video showing the fog running the different effects on a MacBook Pro (13", retina, late 2012 model):

Cheers.

gurayg likes this.
  14. XaneFeather

XaneFeather

Hey Thrawn! Do tell once fog volumes are in as we'd love to try it out in our project. We have a dense swampy forest scene where a bit of mist in some places could contribute to the overall atmosphere.

15. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi @XaneFeather !

We have the V1.2 ready with support for fog volumes. We'll submit it to the Asset Store today.
    If you have purchased it, you can download it from our Support forum now.
    The update includes a new demo scene with a FPS setup, showing a fog volume in action.

radimoto likes this.
  16. Kronnect

Kronnect

Update: here's a video showing the fog volume in action:

17. Kronnect

Kronnect

18. gameDevi

gameDevi

Hello Thrawn,

I was wondering if you could reduce the number of shader keywords?

19. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi gameDevi,

I guess you refer to Volumetric Fog & Mist and not Dynamic Fog & Mist, since the later does not use any keyword.

Volumetric uses 5 shader keywords to create optimized shader variants. All of them are shader options, so if you don't need them, you may remove them from the shader as well as the enclosing #if <keyword> #endif sections.

The keywords used are:

FOG_DISTANCE_ON: enables additional computation when fog distance is used (>0)
    FOG_VOID_ON and FOG_BOX_VOID_ON: same when void area is used (void radius>0).
    FOG_HAZE_ON: used when sky haze is used (sky haze height > 0).
    FOG_OF_WAR_ON: used when fog of war is enabled in the inspector.

Let me know if you have any further question.

Regards.

20. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi everyone!

Dynamic Fog & Mist is on 24h Sale today - grab it now at 25% off ($18.75) on the Asset Store!
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/48200

Owners of Dynamic Fog & Mist can also upgrade to Volumetric Fog & Mist for just $20 later!

Thanks for your support.

21. wood333

wood333

The option to upgrade is a great offer, so I just purchased Dynamic Fog & Mist. I had Volumetric on my wish list. If I don't need an asset right away I place it on my wish list and hope for a sale before I need to implement. As an Indie developer I try to stretch my funds.

My plan is to lay fog on a swampy area. I'm new to fog applications, and looking forward to how it will enhance scenes in my game.

Kronnect likes this.
  22. Kronnect

Kronnect

Yes, Dynamic Fog will add fast, animated fog with turbulence to your scenes. For a more compelling effect you may want to try Volumetric Fog. People are posting some great screenshots using a combination of Volumetric Fog & Mist with other assets here:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/vo...ow-clouds-and-mist.371147/page-3#post-2607198

23. wood333

wood333

Kronnect likes this.
  24. Kronnect

Kronnect

V1.7 is now available on the Asset Store.

This new update features:
    - Enhanced fog blending for desktop variant
    - Fog is now clipped above fog height, saving GPU cycles when using low fog
    - Added option “Clip under baseline height”
    - Fixed “fog soup” issue when using low camera far clip values

25. Kronnect

Kronnect

V1.8 has been submitted to the Asset Store with day/night cycle support.

Also for VR we have a beta available on our support forum for the new Single Pass Stereo Rendering in Unity 5.4 (VR). If you're interested in trying it just sign up over there and send me a msg with your order number (if not already registered!).

Cheers!

26. Kronnect

Kronnect

27. Kronnect

Kronnect

Dynamic Fog & Mist 2 is now available.

This update includes lot of improvements based on feedback from the community, a new fog variant effect which overcomes the limitations of previous depth-based versions and is faster!

Check it on the Asset Store!

28. Xaron

Xaron

Great asset! May I suggest a kind of a fix in DynamicFog.cs?

I use it together with Time of Day and I'd like to use the Light (which is attached to a GameObject) for the sky haze to update the fog color. For that I had to add these lines to the Init() method:

Code (csharp):
    2. if( sun != null )
    3.   sunLight = sun.GetComponent<Light>();
    Oh and another thing: I bought the volumetric fog asset from you which includes the dynamic fog. Does this package get the updates from the "smaller" dynamic fog asset too?

29. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi @Xaron

Thank you very much for your tip. It'll be included in next update.

Yes, Volumetric Fog & Mist updates include latest Dynamic Fog & Mist version.

Cheers!

30. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi everyone!
    Happy to announce Dynamic Fog & Mist 2.2 has been submitted to the asset store.

In addition to the full screen image effect approach, this new update adds a collection of fog materials and custom shaders that provides a different way to render fog, which is way faster and allows fog to be rendered on older mobile devices.

Here's a video demo of the new demo scene 5 included, which is sort of a basic game template:

Enjoy!

31. Kronnect

Kronnect

Dynamic Fog & Mist 2.2 is now available on the Asset Store.

32. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi guys,

A few updates see the light on the Asset Store including improved VR and Unity 5.5 support. All of the following effects have been updated and verified to work fine with an Oculus DK2 with and without Single Pass Stereo feature:

- Beautify: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#!/content/61730

- Dynamic Fog & Mist: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#!/content/48200

- Volumetric Fog & Mist: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#!/content/49858

- Tunnel FX: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#!/content/68564

As always feel free to post your comments, screenshots and/our requests here or on our dedicated support forum at kronnect.com.

Cheers!

33. Kronnect

Kronnect

@turboscalpeur just updated his Flickr gallery with new HD photo-quality pictures of beautiful landscapes in Unity. Check it out, it's great:

My small patch of green by turboscalpeur, en Flickr

turboscalpeur likes this.
  34. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

Awesome Fog & Mist, already greatly pre-settled, with a tons of options, I just tweaked it a few on my tastes and tada :)

Can't wait to try it again coupled to the Volumetric one, then both updated and all the goodies coming within'.

Kronnect likes this.
  35. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi!

Dynamic Fog & Mist 3.0 is now available:
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#!/content/48200

Finally, support for orthographic camera is available! Dynamic Fog & Mist will automatically pick the optimized shader variant for either ortho or perspective projections.

Enjoy!

36. Kronnect

Kronnect

Example of orthographic mode:

37. Kronnect

Kronnect

V3.1 has been submitted to the Asset Store!

This new update includes a new fog variant and a fix for Single Pass Stereo Rendering with OpenVR SDK. Stay tuned!

38. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi everyone,

V4.0 has been submitted to the Asset Store.

This new version includes a fog of war prefab designed to work in top-down perspective games and it's optimized for mobile! It includes a simple API to set the transparency of the fog at any world space coordinates.

This new feature adds to the existing array of features including:
    - Fog image effect with many variants and options, supporting perspective and orthographic camera.
    - Fog materials collection which are a natural replacement for Unlit, Lambertian and Standard Shader based materials, optimized for mobile.

Enjoy!

39. magique

magique

Has this been tested to work with PRISM? Also, what are the shader model requirements? Thanks.

40. Kronnect

Kronnect

Nope but it works great with Beautify :)

SM3 required for most of its variants.

41. magique

magique

Just to clarify do mean that it hasn't been tested with PRISM or are you saying it doesn't work with PRISM for sure?

42. Kronnect

Kronnect

It hasn't been tested.

43. magique

magique

Thanks. I may just give it a try and I'll let you know if I find any issues.

44. magique

magique

I purchased this and it works perfectly fine with PRISM and also ran on the Wii U without any issues. Looks really good. 5 stars given.

Kronnect likes this.
  45. magique

magique

I just wanted to say how impressed I am with this asset. I've been doing performance testing with my scene by adding in elements piece by piece to see what impact they have. I got my scene running at 60 fps and then I added in Dynamic Fog to see if I would get a significant drop in performance. To be honest, I expect a big drop, but was hoping for no more than 5 fps because I'm targeting 30 fps and I wanted as much leeway as possible to add in details, effects, and my AI. To my surprise, I am still getting 60 fps. Not only that, but I'm using Desktop Fog Plus + Sky Haze. And not only that, but this is on the Wii U!! So, needless to say I am very impressed and I highly recommend this asset to anyone.

chelnok and Kronnect like this.
  46. Kronnect

Kronnect

Amazing. Thanks for the feedback and congrats for your game!

47. Kronnect

Kronnect

V4.1 is now available!

Here's the recent changelog:

Version 4.1 changes:
    - Fog volumes: added option to specify custom fog colors

Version 4.0 changes:
    - New fog of war prefab, optimized for mobile and demo scene!
    - Updated demo scene "Orthographic" with fog of war functionality

48. Kronnect

Kronnect

V4.2 update ready! New fog variants: orthogonal, controls depth and height separately. Great for orthographic games!

magique likes this.
  49. Kronnect

Kronnect

Dynamic Fog & Mist 5.0 released!!

- New Fog Profiles
    - Fog volumes now handle full set of fog properies by setting target fog profile
    - Dithering option extended to all fog variants

50. Kronnect

Kronnect

magique likes this.