Search Unity

Dynamic batching lightmapped objects needed? Opinions, please.

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Arkade, Jan 9, 2015.

?

Value?

1. Not useful / Something else provides / etc

2. That's amazing, I'd pay the Earth (a.k.a. a beeeelion dollars)

3. That would be great, I'd pay $40

4. That's nice, perhaps worth $15

5. You expect me to pay?! Ok, $5 and that's cuttin' me own throat

6. That's so trivial it should be free! $0

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Arkade

Arkade

TL;DR
    What call is there for an asset that restores dynamic batching to lightmapped objects?
    (or does something already do this job?)

Details...
    Dynamic Batching is great (provided one fulfils all the requirements). Lightmapping is great. When one lightmaps objects (in Unity) that are dynamically batched, they stop being dynamically batched.
    It's possible to restore dynamic batching for these objects with some hackery-pokery.

Before (note Draw Calls: 5, Saved by batching: 0)

After (note Draw Calls: 2, Saved by batching: 3)

Would this be valuable? Does something already do this? Are there reasons against doing it? EDIT: This works with Unity Indie.
    (I'm considering whether it's worth investing time in making an asset.)

Would the following limitations seem reasonable:
    • Only certain default shaders supported + more on demand + instructions supplied on how to update your own shader code.
    • Need to press a button before re-lightmapping or updating models (unless I can find a good hook to inform when customizations need undoing)
    • Possibly other stuff I haven't thought of yet?

Thanks for your feedback!

2. dirtybassett

dirtybassett

If its user friendly and easy to implement in a existing project I would be interested. Keep working on it as I don't think there is anything else like it that I have seen.

3. Meceka

Meceka

Just as dirtybassett said, if you can somehow make it really easy to implement on an existing project, and it will work fine on all mobile platforms wondefully, it will be extremely valuable.

I have unity pro, but I can't enable static batching on most stuff as it increases memory usage and build size significantly (load time too), so most objects aren't set as static. And that's why I can't enable lightmaps on most objects as it increases draw calls.

Support diffuse, bumped diffuse, specular, bumped specular, mobile/unlit, vertexlit and some other important shaders and it will be fine for most people.