Search Unity

Dungeon Hordes: 2 Remastered

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Walker Nay, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Walker Nay

Walker Nay

I just finished a small game called "Dungeon Hordes 2: Remastered." The game is free to play on the Unity WebPlayer.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a link to the trailer:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And here is a link to the game:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/mghow1x13fegfhg/Dungeon+Hordes+2+REMASTERED.rar

So please tell me what you think, I am new to this stuff so opinions and feedback would be most appreciated! Thank you!

2. Cherno

Cherno

Congratulations on finishing and releasing the game! I think it looks good, especially the hell level has nice effects. One thing I would like to see is a bigger field of view for the camera so it's not that close above the player, and maybe a camera smooth follow script to ease the quick movement direction changes the player model is capable of :)

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  3. Walker Nay

Walker Nay

That is something I have been hoping to do. However the camera does not like to be adjusted (many many many bugs.) But I will keep trying to see if I can figure out a way to do so!

4. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Hello Walker - do you have a link or video of the original game? Would like to see comparison video considering "remastered" is part of the title.

Not to be too critical but I think you'd benefit from a couple extra passes on polishing pretty much every element of your game.

The character and enemies have no hit reaction at all.
    The main characters feet slide all over the place throughout the video.
    The textures on the walls and floor (except the grass on the floor) look like standard flat diffuse images applied to boxes. There is no definition, depth, shading, light interaction, spec, or anything.
    The red/blue thing under the player characters feet look oddly static and tacked on.

I like the creatures and main character model, and the font/text you used is cool looking.

May want to give a little more time to attention to the details which really add improvements to all aspects of any game.

There is a saying "The first 90 percent of the code accounts for the first 90 percent of the development time. The remaining 10 percent of the code accounts for the other 90 percent of the development time."

—Tom Cargill, Bell Labs

He was talking specifically about code and the tendency of software development projects to significantly overrun their original schedules because it's difficult to anticipate how long it will take to perform the hard stuff.
    But as a game developer and artist I think this quote is applicable to quality as well.

The first 90 percent of creating a game accounts for the first 90 percent of the development time. The remaining 10 percent of creating a game (polish) accounts for the other 90 percent of the development time.

5. Walker Nay

Walker Nay

Haha that is a good quote! And Indeed it does need work but alas this game is more of a learning experience for me and I believe it is time to work on a new project. There are so many things I wish to learn and if i keep focusing my attention on this game then things wont get anywhere. And yes here is the old video:

I am still very new to this type of thing and sadly my skills are not the best and things like enemy ai reactions are just out of my league.

Also this game was not made to actually get anywhere. I made it as a learning experience for myself to get a better grasp on video game development.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  6. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Understood. Keep it up, there is definitely a unique-ness in what you've created.
    And though I've only experienced the end of projects in one capacity (animation) I've read and been told "polish & finishing" is also a learning experience that needs to be given proper attention.
    It seems a lot of developers (from reading and listening to stories) enjoy the first 90% described above, and once they are done with that part (which is half) they move onto something else instead of slogging ahead with - what has been described numerous times as the most difficult part of game development - the last 90% - the second half, finishing and releasing! :)

Keep this in mind for your next project. Kindly -

7. Walker Nay

Walker Nay

Thank you! I appreciate your straightforwardness, I agree that things need to be polished. I still don't know alot about adding finishing details but that is something I shall defiantly focus on!