Search Unity

Dungeon Breaker Action RPG starter kit

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Rachan, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Gunhi

Gunhi

any know how to ignore "touch area" on GUI buttons? because when user touch on GUI buttons then Player still move to there Positions.

2. rickcollette

rickcollette

not at all the case. they just do not look here that often.
    try email.

3. anueves1

anueves1

How can i Make so the Level 1 Doesn t always load
    Cause i made a custom level but it always loads Level 1 No matter what i do
    Thanks

4. im

im

Dungeon Breaker Starter Kit 3.0

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/10043

Requires Unity 4.5.2 or higher.

Dungeon Breaker Starter Kit 3.0

The Action Multiplayer RPG Starter Project. available on standalone and mobile devices.
    this project will help you create your own multiplayer RPG in a few steps.

includeds with many features and several gameplay style such as Third Person Action RPG , Topdown RPG hack and slash , Adventure Co-op
    You can play around with friends build your heroes, create your story, and enjoy your own Multiplayer RPG.

Important: There's many changes in this version. Please backup your project before update.

New Update! 3.0
    - Add Multiplayer Co - Op Online / Lan
    - Add New Mini Map
    - Add New GUI Skin
    - Add New Level
    - Cleaned masses stuff and Make it look better
    - Bug Fixes

Included
    - Multiplayer Co-Op Online / Lan
    - Multi Game Styled (TopDown and Third Person)
    - Mecanim Support
    - Character Creator System
    - Combat System
    - RPG System
    - Inventorys and Items embbed
    - Skills System
    - NPC Quests System
    - NPC Shop System
    - Level Manager
    - Save/Load Game
    - Particle FX
    - AI Friend / Enemy
    - Gameplay Manager
    - Mini map
    - Mobile Devices Support

Web Demo | VDO | Mecanim Tutorial

From author
    1 year aniversary of this kit. i tried so hard to working on adding multiplayer, i'm not a networking expert but finally it works! if you have any suggestion feel free and let me know. I hope you enjoy this 3.0, and thanks you for your support

If you have any question or need an assistance please mail me.
    Email : hwrstudio@gmail.com

5. im

im

wow what an update multiplayer, great new ui, new level, lots of other great stuff, bug fixes and he even found time to clean up the code!

this author rocks! can't wait to see what he does next

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  6. im

im

Hi again,

ok here are bugs / issues I found so far with 3.0

Please fix the above!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  7. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Is this the unity standard network or something like photon?

8. Rachan

Rachan

Hi RandAIThor
    This update are using Unity standard network :(

9. im

im

Hey I love Unity Standard Network, works great for me!

So what is the problem with USN that everyone is sad about?

Is it about hosting / master server?

If so lots of place to host master server / servers cheaply also could have customers do self hosting and you just setup master server or easy enough to move to Photon, not that much of a code change.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  10. Rachan

Rachan

Thank you very much! for help me testing i will fix it right now :D

11. thedreamer

thedreamer

I want to know your plan.. are you going to support uGUI? if you have plan.. Could you know the date?

12. im

im

Hey I'm using 4.6 and the new gui so it would be nice to move to new GUI i know its beta but its rock solid 4.6.0.17b is the one im using cause it has support for webplayer

13. im

im

its not problem, teamwork... you've done most of the hard work, i just play around...

ive been putting fixes in my post i know they are hard to read just search for word fix, so far i fixed couple...

14. Rachan

Rachan

about the GUI is the one left.. that challenging me... next to networking.
    it's gonna be very big work to re-build the whole GUI
    after this sure! i have plan to working on this part.

15. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

I am also happy about unitys own network because i can not calculate and do not want to have extra cost if it was photon i.e.

So i am happy to see unitys own network and i hope you will use it more and we all learn more then.

I would also like to see the new unity gui inside this asset.

16. im

im

17. Falconerd

Falconerd

Hi @Rachan, thanks for this asset. My only gripe so far is the documentation is not updated. Is there any news on this?

uni7y likes this.
  18. Mike237548

Mike237548

Hello @Rachan .. Great Asset!! Simply incredible. I am having one problem I am hoping you or someone here can help me with.. I exported this to my iphone5s and it works perfectly however when i build it on my friends iphone5 or my ipad mini retina the game has a terrible lag once the users enter the game (after creating and selecting character).

Any help would be greatly appreciated! This is really driving me crazy because the same build works on my phone and it doesnt matter which user hosts the game or if they play offline.

Thank you,
    ~Michael

edit: i was able to fix the lag following @Rachan 's earlier post "for the Draw call problem the cause is grass on terrain will make a lot of draw call.
    you can reduced by go to Terrain setting (gear icon) and remove the Detail Density"

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  19. im

im

I found some more stuff that needs looking over

The reason i mention the last couple is because earlier releases I could easily get well over 100 enemies in the same level with this release I'm lucky if I can get 25-50 and I'm having to rewrite quite a bit of the code and I bet others will to.

Plus having source code that performs well and that is cleanly formatted and which uses standard naming conventions adds greatly to the value and usability of your asset and benefits the whole community.

Cheers!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  20. aspire9

aspire9

this kit looks amazing!
    do you plan to add more tutorials?

21. uni7y

uni7y

I want to buy this asset, but I wonder whether there is good support... I do not see a lot of activity here in the forum! and what about the tutorials? The only one I see is an old tutorial of the asset... and people are asking for a new one. So will there be a new tutorial? this will be very important for me (and others)

22. im

im

Hey good news i redid bit of the code. replaced use of FindObject(s)OfType and FindGameObject(s)WithTag, ect and moved all GetComponent() calls that I could to Start and now I'm back to running over 100 npc without much of a hit to performance! Will send author code when I finish cleaning it up and testing it out... So if your having performance issues when you have lots of zombies / friendlies / players look at cleaning out the above from the code and see if it helps you, it sure helped me.

If anyone wants to know I created game objects in scene to hold Players, Enemies, Friendlies, NPCs. and I instantiate them into the right one and then I have a reference to the game objects that I setup at start and then all I have to do is something like this from Update()/OnGUI

MonoBehavior players = playersgo.GetComponents<MonoBehavior>();

and in Start() I do

playersgo = GameObject.Find("Players");

and at class level I have

private GameObject playersgo

not that hard of a change and it runs circles around old code.

Also I was thinking of having players, enemies, friendlies, npcs, objects databases (List/Dictionary) so that I dont even have to do that I could just iterate through the database. And adding pooling like I did before which really helps with the garbage collector cause right now when a player, friendy, enemy dies they are released and a new one is instantiated by Spawner :(

23. im

im

The author is great and always quickly replies to emails. Also he has been working on this asset for long time adding lots of nice features and is very receptive to ideas... Also this is like the best of this kind of asset so its not like there is much outthere like this that will get u going for dirt cheap...

24. Mike237548

Mike237548

great work @im !

25. aspire9

aspire9

great to see that you help to improve this asset!

i have one question: is pvp possible with this asset?

26. im

im

i think u would have to change the code

but it should not be too hard just change tag on everyone as enemy!

but check code to make sure it dont look for player

27. im

im

28. aspire9

aspire9

thank you!

i hope the creator of this asset will post some more tutorials on how to change things...

29. im

im

id suggest u send him an email (he responds quickly)

30. canibecooltoo

canibecooltoo

Anyone have a fix on the collecting quest so it takes the items away when you complete and to keep quests when u travel scenes already sent a email to him for some help no answer yet

31. im

im

yeah when u teleport u lose a bunch of stuff (its really a load of new scene)

u will need to fix his save / load (it dont save everything right now like skills and what u have on hand)

u will also need to change it so it saves things like active quests and where u r with them

also w quests right now when u r finished i dont remember if it gives u the reward at that point or when u later open quests and press completed. it should give u the rewards automatically when u get it. and it should jus thave alist of those completed. but then again if u have a quest u can do multiple time it would be list of them of the ones completed. or perhaps it should just show it on screen and remove it from list of quests u doing...

well its starter package (not he does it for u) so u basically take what he gives u and run from there (some programming required)

all the stuff is not hard work to do if u know a little programming

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  32. maidamedia

maidamedia

Hi everybody! Perhaps some of you has encountered the same problem. I am using DB (version 2.2) with my own player character. Everything was fine in configuring him. My problem is that it seems as if the new character plays only a single attack animation but I configured it with 3 different ones. I set up also the combo attack list. I can't use the new 3.0 because it is too different. Thx for the help

Attached Files:

33. eridani

eridani

Is a new 4.6 UI interface being worked on for this asset? I think the 4.6 UI would make this the perfect action RPG starter asset.

34. DeliciousCookies

DeliciousCookies

Hi there, I am strongly considering buying this asset from the store. However I have 4 questions about it before the purchase and I probably won't purchase until all questions are answered. Once all questions are answered I will immediately buy the asset the very next day.

1.When ever I play the Dungeon Breaker Demo and Candy Maniacs Demo(Dungeon Breaker Game) I have the same problem, I continually attack but the zombies only receive damage sometimes and sometimes when I attack I see no damage. same for the enemies, when ever Zombies attack I only receive damage sometimes. I can stand there and do nothing and the zombies won't do any damage and then finally they do some damage after a few seconds of attacking. Is it because of lag? poor internet connection? This is off the web player demo so maybe poor connection?

2.Can I create more than one sword with this asset? I want to be able to equip different swords purchasable through a regular shop(weapon shop). Will the sword that I equip display in battle?

3.Do the items in your inventory disappear when you go into a different scene? Do you go back to level1 if you go to a different scene? Do you lose all your weapons and armor if you enter a different scene?

4.Is there an option where I can type in how high I want to jump? I want my character to be able to jump at least 2 times his own height.

Thank you in advance to who ever can answer these questions and I will definitely buy this asset as soon as these 4 question are answered.

35. im

im

yes cookies are delicious, but i love candy!

let me guess you saw candy maniacs and wanted to do cookie maniacs...

re: 1

it only registers damage if there is collision and its tricky since there are no crosshairs. something that ive been working to resolve in the upcoming release of candy maniacs. same for the zombies. also the ai sometimes decides not to attack and there is also cooldown delay. so if you want something more aggressive the ai needs to be changed as ive done in candy maniacs. some of the problem that you see in candy maniacs is that the starter kit was created for a flat world, like a plane, and candymaniacs uses terrain so when not 100% lines up things dont hit right as you can imagine. so in the upcoming releases of candy land ive had to make lots of changes and tweaks to account for it. the ai is now better with these changes, but not perfect it still will need lots of work to make sure it all works as expected.

re: 2

its relatively easy to add new weapons ive added lots of candy themed weapons already, just have to learn all the things you have to do like adding it to items list in game manager and to npc so it shows up in store and making the weapon and a pickup for it and some icon that it will use. ect

re: 3

yes any items that are dropped disappear when you go between levels. if you want to preserve them you will have to change the code and write code that does the magic. you will also have to manage what your character has so it is preserved between levels there is save and load code you can adapt to your needs.

re: 4

yes you can control gravity and how high characters jump and a lot more. there are some issues with the starter kit with regards to this because it was designed for flat world line a plane in candy maniacs we have regular terrain which is causing all sort of problem that ive had to make lots of changes and tweaks for and i still have lots of changes as i pointed out to make.

remember candy maniacs is just a concept. it marries my work with this starter kit the work of emilie and others. so you have like parts made by different people who work on their own stuff independently and that has to be merged and adapter to work together. that will take time. i have like over years worth of work i have to get in that was done prior to using the starter kit and i was like one of the first people who bought it when it became available and have been sending in behind the scenes little ideas, changes, fixes, ect... but just because i send something in to asset store authors does not mean they will use it.

personally i recommend this starter kit

and the agk one
    http://unityagk.com/

sadly both are for flat worlds!

plus take a look at gtgd s1 and s2 http://www.gamertogamedeveloper.com

and then take a look at hack and slash tutorial (which is unfinished but still worth looking at) http://www.burgzergarcade.com/hack-slash-rpg-unity3d-game-engine-tutorial

both gtgd s1/s2 and h&s are for terrain so u can see how ai, coliision/damage and things are done including crosshairs for world that is not flat

plus unity has very good tutorials so look at unity tutorials with complete starter kits with source code...

http://unity3d.com/learn

and you can find more here form unity with source code for free

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/publisher/1

but you still have to like im having to do take all the stuff from different sources and merge it all in together and get it to work with takes a bit of time and effort...

also you can look at my unity forum post for the game to see all the ingredients and my little secret sause ... ;)

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/candy-maniacs.269514/

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  36. DeliciousCookies

DeliciousCookies

Wow! The forums for this game engine has fast support. Thanks for the fast reply I figured I'd have to make an icon for the sword and an object to represent its drop lol... I have been looking around for a couple months for the perfect kit and I did run into agk and the other kit that you linked However agk doesn't mention having equipment for weapon swapping and there is that other problem when it isn't compatible with terrains and needs a different form of mapping. The best one I have found so far was the action Rpg starter kit by hitbear studios but I absolutely despite having to use the mouse for camera movement and player movement. I don't want my player to be stuck facing what ever position the camera is facing, it was bothering me horribly... and it doesn't mention whether it has mobile support or not so my second option was this kit which does mention mobile support and the only thing that bothers me about it is that you have to collide to cause damage rather than have the weapon interact with the enemy object and losing all my items every time I enter a a different scene to make it look like a different city i will lose all items and quests in my inventory which is bad for a potential RPG game... Looks like things are going to be a little difficult for Cookie Maniacs o____o, most resources I make my self like the cities using blender and music using a purchased product for licence rights.

Edit: lmao the cookie monster vid was funny :p

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  37. canibecooltoo

canibecooltoo

U dont lose items when u change scenes u keep all items that are equiped and in inventory you just lose quest when scene change so have to code it or just make quest for that scene only but hes older verison of the kit saved everything so I manage to do some script edit of old version to keep everything saved when scene changing

38. im

im

here is another funny one for you

ok perhaps i didnt state it well, you dont lose your items when you change levels, other things are lost like any pickups that were dropped that you didnt pick up and like where zombies where and the state of the level. but if you want them to be there exactly where you left off you i guess can write your own save and load code. so you just lose the state of the level but not of the character he has save and load as i mentioned that handles this for most things.

also you can easily modify the save / load code to save things that he may not save / load that you want to save / load, so its not big deal...

also for melee weapons you dont have to collide with the other character the weapon has to but its a little iffy as i mentioned. for projectiles the projectile has to and all of them are basically designed for flat surfaces basically planes so if your using terrain or models that are not flat or levels it not going to work well without you making some detailed set of changes which ive have had to do and i am still actually doing since its a little bit of the square peg in the round hole...

still ive tried just about them all have large collection of unity store assets i play with and this one is about one of the best and well worth getting especially if it goes on sale...

re: Rpg starter kit by hitbear studios

i dont have that one but it looks interesting. i does number of things that this one does not do like cursor and handling non flat levels better and it also has run stamina bars and concept like being webbed up which prevents you from moving. so its always good to pick up a bunch of them and look at what they do and how they do it and use them more as a vehicle to learn things. this one gets a lot of things right too its more polished ui, it has multiplayer and has number of other things unique to it. personally i dont do mobile, but multiplayer is important and so is support for non flat levels. so the thing is more to learn than to take one of them and outright use it. even the one im using in candy maniacs is heavily modified version of this one. so i redid a lot of his code to fit my needs and regardless of which one you use or if you create your own its about building what you need for your game and if you use one like did about modifying it for your needs which may not be same as author or someone elses.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  39. vincentellis

vincentellis

Are you still working on this kit? Just wanted to say it's a wonderful project and it's been nice to see it's evolution. Keep up the good work! :D

40. BillO

BillO

I cannot get the enemy to attack the player. The enemy will follow the player but the attack animation never plays. What triggers the attack animation. The basic asset is great but the documentation falls short.

41. im

im

there target tag in couple places

1st enemy must have enemy tag (if u change it u also have to change it number of places)
    2nd player must have player tag (if u change it u also have to change it number of places)
    3rd for each enemy you have to set that their target tag is player
    4th for each ranged (projectile) attack enemy in the projectile you have to set target tag to player

also you have to be in range (certain distance)

42. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Please lets not got off topic here, I'm waiting for the 3.0 bug fixes release, also wish to know if author plans to switch to Unity 4.6 uGUI and to test this on Unity 5 beta, clear up the issues.

43. omegagriever

omegagriever

i encounter some bug for latest version. Which the projectile from player keep moving towards 0 , 0 , 0 world space. It occur from the enemy as well if i add nav mesh controller to them.

44. royaldio

royaldio

How to Make
    (mechanim) animation combo

45. PedroNeves

PedroNeves

Hello,
    can you make an explanation about how to create a new level?
    i made a clone of the cavern level and changed the door id and levelname in teleporter but when i use that door the player teleports but the screen go blank.

46. Eref

Eref

Hello. Explain me, please , how to save spells on spell panel.
    I will be very obliged for the answer.

47. Brutusomega

Brutusomega

Why does the character keep attacking when i press ui buttons?

48. EnigmaFactory

EnigmaFactory

SEE EDIT! Original Post: Hey all. I've managed to make quite a bit of progress switching over to a new customizable character and such, but I have one really silly stuck point. Can anyone tell me what object the UI runs off of? I can't find the MainMenu script being called anywhere. It's very bizarre. Due to this, in my scenes, there is no UI (outside the MiniMap). Thanks for the help! Great asset Rachan!

Rachan answered me (and super quick too!):

Thank you for interesting in Dungeon Breaker and feedback,

please check, you have to add Player Character UI component
    to your playing character

if not work please let me know.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
  49. Openworldcomics

Openworldcomics

Hi,

I am new to programming and thought this would be a great template/engine to start off in. I do have a few questions.

1. Does the engine allow me to replace the models? If yes, can I use models from Daz?
    2. Are there any step by step tutorials on how to create you very own level?

I'm sure I will have more questions going forward but this will help me decide if this egine is for me.

50. im

im

re: Does the engine allow me to replace the models?

yes

re: If yes, can I use models from Daz?

do you have valid license to stuff from Daz

re: 2. Are there any step by step tutorials on how to create you very own level?

? you get code, models, effects, sounds, demo game with sample levels, ect and documentation for it

creating your own levels, well u will have to learn that on your own.