Search Unity

[Released] Dungbeetle - A bug tracker built for Unity

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by steinbitglis, Mar 13, 2016.

1. steinbitglis

steinbitglis

Three years ago, I wrote this bug tracker for Teslagrad (the picture is from World to the West):

The idea was that anyone should be able to send a bug report by simply clicking a button and writing a message. The rest would be handled by the game and the bug tracker in concert.

On the editor side, it looks like this:

Details window:

I've improved it a lot since 2013, and now I'm looking for feedback.

Check out my dev blog: http://blog.beetlecircus.com
    Docs: http://beetlecircus.com

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
  2. steinbitglis

steinbitglis

I've made a more extensive screenshot-based introduction:
    http://blog.beetlecircus.com/post/2016/03/20/Basics-walkthrough

One of the screenshots from the walkthrough:

(I'm using a game I made on SPLASH 2016 as a backdrop)

I'm thinking that it will be pricing Dungbeetle around $90 for the full version, but obviously, I'm just looking for feedback at this point, so it will be free to anyone who volunteers.

I know little about pricing, but since the full version is only required for the admin, I'm thinking it shouldn't be too low.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
  3. steinbitglis

steinbitglis

I've just started giving the server some more options in terms of finding stuff on the system.

It should help out administrators when installing it.

What OS do you people want to host bug reports on?

ps. the server is named 'Server.exe' in the image, but I've renamed it to DungbeetleServer.exe, so it doesn't create confusion when listed with other processes in whatever operating system it is running under.

4. steinbitglis

steinbitglis

I've done a lot of improvements on the integration experience.

What I've done is separate out the part that could ever need replacing... and refactored it in C# until I thought it was beautiful.

This way you stay in control... while still getting done what you need to in your project.

Some more details on my blog.

5. steinbitglis

steinbitglis

Improvements!

Now the server can run as a service in Windows.
    It now also hosts on both IPv4 and IPv6 simultaneously.

I've made lots of minor stability and usability impromevents too.

We're still looking for beta testers.

6. steinbitglis

steinbitglis

Releasing soon...

PM or email me to try it for free before it releases.

paraself likes this.
  7. steinbitglis

steinbitglis

8. GrichDesign

GrichDesign

HELLO! First of all, this is a really cool asset. Second...where is everyone and why don't people use this? I came to the forum thinking this was going to be 25 pages long I was going to have to dig through.

Okay, my main thing is I'm getting this error currently when I use it, thoughts?

Thank you in advance
    Screenshot 2018-01-02 21.31.28.png

9. steinbitglis

steinbitglis

Hi! This is a very basic error caused by a change in Unity's APIs.
    Which unity version and which .net version compatibility level have you chosen?
    Is this the dll version of Dungbeetle?

Where is everyone... yes, I've been asking the same thing. I spent ages creating a solid asset, and now it's collecting dust. Well... don't worry, I'll help you get started. I don't mind keeping it in a good condition. At least we're using this thing in every project in my company, so it's good for something.

10. GrichDesign

GrichDesign

Unity 2017.1.3 (.net version is whatever comes standard)
    Dungbeetle server options are grayed out, that was going to be my next question once I get passed this one :)

Yeah, I've been looking forward to putting this in. I used to just have an online form that filtered through a spreadsheet for tasking out. Hopefully more people pick it up. Once it is up and running I will leave a review, I know I am usually hesitant about installing something with no reviews.

11. steinbitglis

steinbitglis

Alright... I will make sure to make it work asap.
    The reason the server options are greyed out is that you're using the dll (free) version. With the source version, these menu options will let you compile a standalone server directly from a subset of the source code. Meanwhile, in Unity there will be a server running as a part of the project. To support your users you might want the standalone server of course. If you're in a pinch, I could compile one for you. Let's see when we've fixed the errors first.
    I think I will be able to work on it this evening.

12. steinbitglis

steinbitglis

I've made a submission of the DLL version for 2017.1 (asset store takes at least a week to approve it I think).
    I'll keep working on an update for the source version tomorrow. I simply don't have so much time tonight.

Meanwhile I've attached the updated DLL version here.
    Let me know if I can help out with anything if you need help in other ways too.

Attached Files:

13. steinbitglis

steinbitglis

There... everything has been updated, tested and published, including the source code version.

14. GrichDesign

GrichDesign

HI!! Sorry for the long wait. I was still getting an issue but I think it was the version of Unity I was using. I have updated and everything works great. I was getting a few issues with some other plugins as well with that install of Unity.

But yeah, this is a great tool!! It was very easy to hook up my own UI buttons to trigger it as well.

15. steinbitglis

steinbitglis

That's so good to hear :cool: My day is suddenly a bit brighter :)

manpower13 likes this.