Search Unity

DRCS - Collider free raycast system - Downloadable Package!

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Vagabond_, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Vagabond_

Vagabond_

The "Dynamic RayCast System" is colliders free system which uses custom Ray and SphereCast functions to detect objects. It supports Skinned, Rigid(Non Skinned) meshes as well as the custom - Cubes, Spheres and Planes shapes. The system DOES NOT REQUIRE Unity PRO. Requires Unity 5. You can write code in C# (recommended) and JavaScript (probably with "Boo" too). Should work on all platforms. Requires CPU with “SSE“ support.
    ======================================================================================​

Original Forum Link

Video Tutorial.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  2. cl9-2

cl9-2

Hello,

What's the general speed-up factor compared to Unity ray casting (i.e. 1.5x, 2x, 4x, etc)?
    Is source code provided?
    Does this work on mobile (iOS and Android)?

3. Vagabond_

Vagabond_

Hi, check just above the video in my previos post, there is a link where you can download and test the plugin in your project - it has WaterMark...

The plugin is of course slower than Unity's RayCast!

This is managed (C#) plugin and the source code is not provided...

I really can't tell if it works well on mobile devices because i don't have any to test. i only made a simple test on one chinese Android tablet and it worked... if i remember right i am using a sorting algorithm that is not supported on iOS but that could probably be fixed...

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  4. pierresusset

pierresusset

Hello,

I've jsut donwload the demo package and try to use it.
    This is very easy to make it work but I still have some issue.
    My project is a scene where I load around 100 assetbundle whitch contains objects. At the end, I've got a scene with 2 M triangles.
    That's why I can't use MeshCollider. loading time increase from 5 sec without coliider to 1 minute with.
    With your method, loading time is still 5 seconds witch is very cool but some objects are not detected by the picking.
    It seems it appends when objects are displayed upon others.
    any idea about this issue?

Regards,

5. Vagabond_

Vagabond_

Hi,
    i am not sure i can understand the issue you have so pls send me an email with more descriptive information at venci1983@gmail.com.

6. pierresusset

pierresusset

The problem appends when there is a gameobject in parent hierarchy with a scale different of 1,1,1

7. Vagabond_

Vagabond_

Fixed !

8. pierresusset

pierresusset

works very well! Thank you.

9. pierresusset

pierresusset

Hi,

I've another request: is it posssible to test if the object is visible or if the renderer is active to avoid clicking on hided object?
    This is very important for my project.

10. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Vertex painting tools within the Unity editor greatly benefit from this sort of approach since making a ton of temporary mesh colliders is arguably harder on performance.

11. pierresusset

pierresusset

That's too bad that we can't use the editor picking method...