Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

DrawTexture to draw part of a texture?

Discussion in 'Immediate Mode GUI (IMGUI)' started by SWGraham, Mar 27, 2008.

1. SWGraham

SWGraham

I want to do something like the radar in Counterstrike: a great big texture of the whole map, and then only draw part of it in a GUI element. I don't think DrawTexture can do it; is there something I'm missing? I want to draw to x,y of the screen with w,h but from u,v on the texture.

2. jeffcraighead

jeffcraighead

Use a second camera that points 90 degrees down and follows the character around as a render texture. Then use its render mask to make it only render what you want. Use this render texture on the gui object.

3. SWGraham

SWGraham

But I don't want the actual world, I want to be showing part of a large stylized map image like CS. So I'll look into having my map be a RenderTexture and look up how to use the "render mask" like you say to draw part of it. Unless there is an easier way someone thinks of.

4. SWGraham

SWGraham

Heh, if I put the map texture somewhere in the world, I could point a camera at it like you suggest. Put the map in a new Layer that only this camera can see. That's actually twisted-clever.

But dood, a whole camera and render target for each texture that I want to scroll? Picture an odometer with 6 number strips that need to have what they draw be scrolled. There is really no uv control for drawing a texture in the GUI?

5. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

If you have Pro, you could do this with the GL class. I don't know about layering that custom drawing with the GUI system, though.

6. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

I guess you could somehow make a shader which only renders part of a texture based on width, height and an origin.

7. SWGraham

SWGraham

Graphics.DrawTexture seems to be what I want. The page on GL told me to go there, so thanks for that tip. However, this function has no comments on it, and nobody has ever mentioned it in the forums.

http://unity3d.com/support/documentation/ScriptReference/Graphics.DrawTexture.html

Code (csharp):
    1. static function DrawTexture (screenRect : Rect, texture : Texture, sourceRect : Rect, leftBorder : int, rightBorder : int, topBorder : int, bottomBorder : int, mat : Material = null) : void
    I'm so happy that I found a function with SourceRect, but I'm having a hard time stabbing numbers in to these arguments blindly trying to figure out what they do.

8. SWGraham

SWGraham

Okay, got it now. Thanks for the tip, Joachim. The border numbers are red herrings, and the SourceRect is in percents. So here is a texture slowly being scrolled upwards.

m_mapSize is desired output size. m_map is the texture. m_scrollPercent is incremented slowly from 0->1 in Update.

Code (csharp):
    1.     Graphics.DrawTexture(new Rect(0, 0, m_mapSize.x, m_mapSize.y), m_map, new Rect(0, m_scrollPercent, m_mapSize.x/m_map.width, m_mapSize.y/m_map.height), 0, 0, 0, 0);

9. ProtonOne

ProtonOne

You can also use GUILayout.BeginScrollView and put your entire map (enemy positions and all) into that view.

It will automatically clip them as they reach the side of the view square too.

You just need to style the scroll bars so that they do not display.

10. SWGraham

SWGraham

Aw, heck. Looks like this function got deprecated in the last Unity release. SourceRect is ignored now. No matter what I put in, the texture gets squooshed in to the target. I'll file a bug, but just wanted to make sure anybody finding this thread in a search doesn't go crazy trying to make this work.

11. SWGraham

SWGraham

Oh, and this doesn't work as a fallback because textures are not clipped like Labels are. m_mapScreenSize here does nothing. The whole texture always draws.

Code (csharp):
    2.     GUI.BeginScrollView( new Rect( m_mapPosition.x, m_mapPosition.y, m_mapScreenSize.x, m_mapScreenSize.y ),
    3.         m_mapTopLeft,
    4.         new Rect( 0, 0, m_map.width, m_map.height )
    5.         );
    6.     {
    7.         GUI.DrawTexture( new Rect( 0, 0, m_map.width, m_map.height ), m_map );
    8.     }
    9.     GUI.EndScrollView();

12. Marc

Marc

If you need clipping try surrounding it with a GUI.BeginGroup.

13. Ekta-Mehta-D

Ekta-Mehta-D

hey anyone got the solution ?