Search Unity

Drawing order for 2D game

Discussion in '2D' started by Waliactico, May 20, 2016.

1. Waliactico

Waliactico

I'm developing a 2D game, tile based with a cenital view (somewhat like bomberman).
    I've a problem with drawing order for walls and characters. Picture a wall that has a collider 1 tile thick, but the tile above it has some "decoration" to make it look "less cenital", like the top part of the wall. Something like this:

montaje.png

The tile 1 has physics, the tile 2 is just decoration. Tile 2 must be on a drawing order higher than the player, to cover its feet if he is above the all.
    BUT, there is not a good drawing order for the tile 1 that makes it look ok. I've tried:

A) Drawing the wall on a higher drawing order than the character: With this approach, if a character is below it and its sprite is taller than 1 tile, then the wall will cover it partially, looking unreal.

wrong_a.png

B) Drawing the wall on a lower drawing order than the character: With this approach, if a character is above it, and some animation has a sprite that goes below its feet, then it will be visible below the tile 2.

wrong_b.png

So... how can I make this look ok??

Thank you very much for your time!

2. LiterallyJeff

LiterallyJeff

You could set the sorting order based on the player's Y value.

If the player's Y value is greater than the sprite's, set the sprite to a higher sorting order. If the player's Y value is less than the sprite's, set the sprite to a lower sorting order.

3. Waliactico

Waliactico

I was thinking something like that, yes, but I was hoping that some other workaround was possible...
    Well, I think I'll be going for that. Thanks for your answer!

LiterallyJeff likes this.