Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

DOTween (HOTween v2) compatibility test

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Demigiant, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Demigiant

Demigiant

Hello,

I just completed the alpha version of HOTween v2 (if you don't know what HOTween is, here's its website and here's the Asset Store link), which will be called DOTween (because when I made HOTween I had no idea of the slang meaning of tween, and now I want to avoid "hot tween" jokes for the future :D). It will be free and open source like HOTween (even if it might have a separate Pro version with additional features). Compared to HOTween, it has tons more features, is much more powerful and is much more efficient.

Now... I would need some help to fully test its platform compatibility.
    In theory it's super compatible and should work everywhere except on Flash (but I'm working on that), but I would like to know for sure. Here are the platforms that were tested and the ones that need testing (I will update this when tests happen):

TESTED PLATFORMS:
    PLATFORMS THAT DON'T WORK:
    • Flash (and it probably will never happen)
    HOW TO HELP
    If you want to help, first of all thanks. Then:
    1. download this UnityPackage, unzip it, and import it in an empty project (requires Unity 3.5 or later).
    2. download the latest DOTween version and replace it with the one you found inside the previous package (since it's surely outdated).
    3. Compile the "PlatformCompatibilityTest" scene for your platform of choice. It should animate stuff until the DOTween logo appears after a few seconds. If that happens, the platform is fully compatible.
    4. Please let me know :)

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
    hippocoder likes this.
  2. Baroni

Baroni

< testing on Android tonight. I'll edit this post with the result!

@Izitmee
    No issues here, working as expected on Android. Tested in 4.6b14 (4.5.2 equivalent).

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  3. Demigiant

Demigiant

Thank you oh man with the knightly name!!! :)

4. BTStone

BTStone

Alrighty then.
    Tested it on my iPhone 4 (iOS 5.1.1). Got the "Success" Message :)

Going to test PSVita-PSM next Sunday, though :/

5. Demigiant

Demigiant

Greato! Thank you very much BT! :) I will wait without problems for next Sunday and I thank you for that too :)

P.S. the only thing I was unsure of was actually iOS because of AOT. If that works, everything else should work 99.99% (but I'll still wait to be sure)

6. BTStone

BTStone

No problem!

Just one thing regarding the PSM Test. I can only test for PlayStation Mobile on the Vita, not for the Native SDK/DevKit Vita-Stuff, but I guess, if it works on PSM for Vita, it should work fine for the DevKit-Version, too.

7. Demigiant

Demigiant

Yes if it works on Vita PSM it should work on Vita 100% :)

8. Baroni

Baroni

Your test scene works fine on Android (4.3) too, I thought you maybe missed my edited post above ;)

9. Demigiant

Demigiant

Great combo then! And whoops yes I totally missed the edited post :D Thank you very mucho :)

10. aormsby

aormsby

Maybe a little off topic, but I have a question regarding some functionality. Does the current version of HOTween have a way to retrieve the current percentage tweened of a path being followed? The point on the path where the tweened object is? And if not, does the coming version of DOTween?

I ask because this has become something I now need in my current project, but I'm unsure if it's possible with the older version I have.

More specific: I'm using a speed-based tween, and the Tweener.position seems to be the same as the Tweener.elapsed. Not sure if it's supposed to act this way, but I can't get my percentage along the path in any case.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  11. Baroni

Baroni

Maybe Izitmee has a more elegant version, but most of the time I am using this to get the tweener's percentage on the path:
    Code (csharp):
    1. float value = Tweener.elapsed / Tweener.fullElapsed;

12. aormsby

aormsby

EDIT: When I do this, all I get is 1 since the elapsed and full elapsed times are the same for the first 'loop' of my path. Does that really work for you? Does it matter that I'm using speed-based tweening?

13. Baroni

Baroni

Just tried it out again and it should be:
    Code (csharp):
    1. //Tweener.elapsed or Tween.fullElapsed depending on your use case
    2. float value = Tweener.fullElapsed / Tweener.fullDuration;
    sorry about that. This also works for speed-based tweens.

14. aormsby

aormsby

Ah yes, that's doing it! Thanks for the help. How's DOTween looking?

15. Demigiant

Demigiant

Hi and thanks for the answer Baroni :) DOTween is looking really great and I'm very pleased if I may say so. Since you asked, I just added a way to get an elapsed percentage, with options to include loops or not.

I might actually release the alpha today (I'll decide later), though the new path plugin is not there yet. I will implement it after I completely replace HOTween with DOTween in Goscurry, starting tomorrow. That should be a pretty good test.

In the meantime, here's a look at how's it looking :)

16. BTStone

BTStone

Great docs! I'm so sold on this.
    Any ideas what the DOTween Pro Features will be?

17. Demigiant

Demigiant

Glad you like them :) And I just added the documentation for changing a tween's end/start/values, which I forgot (whew). About what'll be in the pro, I'm pondering about it at the end of this paragraph (in short words the new path plugin, since I never used it personally and just spent tons of time supporting it, and maybe other extra features like string scrambling animations) - though you personally will obviously get the pro without additional expenses.

I'm thinking about a 5$ to 8$ price for the Pro version (which will also contain a range of advanced downloadable examples). What you think of it?

18. BTStone

BTStone

Ah nice. Would like that Path-Plugin!
    Price is totally fine.

Just some other questions:
    1) DOTween is still in alpha. Would you say it's safe to change from HOTween to DOTween now?
    In our specific case, we don't have that much HOTween-Code so far, would take maybe only some hours to rewrite the code, and as far as I can tell from the docs it should be quite easy.

2)
    Does the "Donate"-Button work on the DOTween-Site? Would like to give something till the Pro-Plugin comes out.

19. Demigiant

Demigiant

Great to know thanks!

1) To be 100% safe I would wait for me to replace my code in Goscurry (where there are tons of both simple and complex tweens). If instead you want to risk it (it shouldn't be very risky, since I made a lot of different tests already) know that I'm in hyper-mode, so I will fix any bug you should find very quickly (starting from tomorrow afternoon, since this night I'm travelling and I'll be out of the way for a little while).

2) That's super nice of you, and yes, the donate button already works (I just changed the blahblahblah to something more legible :D)

20. Demigiant

Demigiant

I released the alpha in the meantime :)

New thread for that HERE.

codestage likes this.
  21. codestage

codestage

Just tested it at the WP8 Emulator:
    http://i.imgur.com/VwU17ZT.png

Looks fine!
    I built project from latest 4.6 beta, so it compatible with it as well!

22. Demigiant

Demigiant

Thank you Dmitriy! :) Is there a Windows Store emulator too by any chance? :D

23. Demigiant

Demigiant

@BTStone redownload the latest compatibility test from the main post before making your PSM tests (I updated it so it's compatible with older UnityEngine versions, which apparently Vita/PSM might use) :)

24. BTStone

BTStone

Will do! You'll get your PSM Test on Sunday, still traveling!

25. Demigiant

Demigiant

Thank you Travelling Man! And that absolutely wasn't a "get on with that test!" message by the way :D

26. codestage

codestage

Haha, sure!
    http://i.imgur.com/2px3iXJ.png

Works fine!

And it's not an emulator, it's fully functional Windows Store application (needed to install VS 2012 express for Windows 8 to compile it). So, no doubt DOTween works in Win Store apps!

P.S.: both XAML C++ and XAML C# types and both 8.0 and 8.1 SDKs tested!

27. Demigiant

Demigiant

Wheeeee! :) Thanks a lot once again Dmitriy!

28. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

@Baroni any plans to implement this into SWS?

29. Baroni

Baroni

@MD_Reptile
    Yes, as soon as the Pro version is near completion.

MD_Reptile likes this.
  30. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

Awesome! Looking forward to it.

31. BTStone

BTStone

Alright, did the PSM Test.

The Unity Build for PSM is Version 4.3.4f1.
    I had an project open and imported the above Package, run the CompatibilityTestScene in the Editor. Worked.
    Build it on my PS Vita through the PSM Development Assistant for Unity. It started the scene, but no tweens were played.

Then I created an new Project in Unity, no other plugins. Empty and clean. Imported DOTween again and run the scene in the editor, worked there but didn't play any tweens on the device :/
    There aren't any Errors or Warnings, at least the PSM Publishing Utility for Unity, which has an ConsoleOutput doesn't show anything DOTween-Related, in fact it only shows the FPS and some other data (kernel avail main, cdram, phycont).

32. Demigiant

Demigiant

Thanks a lot for the test BTStone! :) Mhmmm since there are no errors, I'm thinking there might be issues with coroutines and PSM, which are not used in DOTween but in the examples itself (I used Start as a coroutine). Gonna try to build a simpler example which uses only DOTween without playing with coroutines. Will have it ready in a short while.

33. BTStone

BTStone

No coroutines in PSM? That would...suck...

34. BTStone

BTStone

Did a quick simple Coroutine-Check.
    Just this:

Code (CSharp):
    1. IEnumerator Start()
    2. {
    3. while(true)
    4. {
    5. GameObject.Instantiate(prefab);
    7. yield return null;
    8. }
    9. }
    The prefab is a simple cube with a BoxCollider and a Rigidbody. Works as expected and throws cubes at highspeed around.

35. Demigiant

Demigiant

Mhmm then I'm wondering if it might be the same problem I'm encoutering on Flash export (Unity not recognizing optional parameters correctly with certain types of extension methods). Could you try the simpler test I'm attaching here which solves that problem too? This one is valid as soon as the DOTween logo appears.

P.S. thanks a lot for the help :)

Attached Files:

36. BTStone

BTStone

Alright. Did the test with a clean project again.
    The PS Vita loads the scene and shows only the blue cube. No tweens and no DOTweenLogo-Texture which fades in.

37. Demigiant

Demigiant

Thank you and ARGH! :O DOTween uses even less system classes than HOTween, and I know HOTween does work with PSM. This is very weird, especially since there are no errors or warnings. I suppose I'll have to submit a bug report to Unity and ask them why it's not working :/

P.S. Do you have by any chance a link to known things that don't work on Unity PSM? I can't find any.

38. BTStone

BTStone

39. VeTaL

VeTaL

Hi,

Just in case, i can help with WP8, WS, Windows8 and Android tests, but looking like all tests are done and everything is fine.
    Let me know, though, if you'd like me to run those tests once more time.

40. Demigiant

Demigiant

@BTStone sigh, those were the same things I found. Too bad there's no clear documentation on the platform difference. Still, I'm working on making DOTween compatible with Flash. If I manage, it might be worth another try with PSM, since being Flash-compatible should make it compatible with everything, considering how limited Flash export is (unless Unity is crazy :D).

@VeTaL Hi, and thanks a lot for the offer. I might take you on for another Windows Store test when I'll have a new version ;) Will let you know.

41. codestage

codestage

I should say that compatibility with Flash exporter doesn't guarantees compatibility with other platforms as well =(
    I had such experience in ACT and I had some WP8 compatibility issues with code which works fine in Flash =D

It was in Unity 4.2 times though, they fixed a lot of WP8 and WinStore apps issues since that.
    Anyway making plugin Flash compatible is a good (and best, if you have no target devices for other platforms) way to increase overall compatibility. If you're not using #if conditionals of course (I do use them too much in my plugins) =D

42. Demigiant

Demigiant

Oh too bad :/ And no #if conditionals for me since I'm in a DLL, even if I'd love to be able to use them, especially because Flash compatibility is a pain in the ass (but it would be a pain in the ass even with #ifs :D).

43. codestage

codestage

Haha, absolutely true, and it double pain in the ass since no one needs Flash exporter anymore, so lot of bugs are still there, making our life harder =)

44. fermmmm

fermmmm

@Dmitriy Yukhanov: Not true, a lot of people need Flash exporter, maybe you can say that when Unity 5 is released with HTML5 exporter, maybe at the end of the year. Until that If you want to release the game to the web, the only way to make sure everyone can play your game is to export it for Flash. The amount of people that has Unity Player is very very small compared to the amount that has Flash Player (99% of the desktop internet users).
    It seems that browser companies are working with Unity to make the HTML5 exporter, so it's probable that a browser update is going to be needed to run the games, so it seems that Flash is going to be a the best option for some time after the HTML5 exporter is released.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  45. codestage

codestage

@fermmmm thanks for your post, but could you please prove it somehow? I asked lot of pople - most don't mind Flash exporter anymore since common social networks and web game playgrounds support WebPlayer.

I should admit I asked from Russian developers mostly.

46. fermmmm

fermmmm

Your developer friends not caring about this is not a statistical study like the one made to learn that 99% of desktop internet users have Flash installed (google it) vs 400 million Unity installs (not bad, but can't compete with Flash numbers). Social networks and game playgrounds allow Unity web player, but people need to install the plugin, with so much spyware around nobody wants to install plugins they don't know, that is the problem that Unity staff is solving with the HTML5 exporter, they say this in public, skip to 27:27:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  47. codestage

codestage

Yep, I saw that video and they say it about both buggy Flash exporter and not-so-popular WebPlayer.
    And of course I know all about flash player - I was a flash developer for years before moving to Unity ;)
    And I still do not see any stats or proves from you about Unity Flash exporter popularity among Unity developers (they will use Daniele's plugin, right?).
    Many developers will prefer fine-tuned WebPlayer export or write game entirely in Flash (if developers or developers teams has such skills of course) instead of shooting themselves in the foot trying to use Flash exporter and spending weeks making workarounds for numerous bugs by the way. It's my opinion, based on few polls and my own experience as both ex-Flash developer and Unity developer who tried to make Unity projects for Flash.
    BTW Flash exporter is not being sold since Apr'13! And I don't know how much people bought it while it was on sale, but I guess not so much (since I very rarely see exported for Flash games).

Anyway, initially I meant Unity devs are not going to fix bugs in Flash exporter in first place, and after all it's totally up to Daniele to make plugin flash compatible or not, I just wish to say it may cost too much to implement that.

48. Demigiant

Demigiant

Just to add to the interesting debate (I too was a Flash developer for many years before moving to Unity, and am still swearing against @#$%&£# Adobe for having destroyed and humiliated what once was a wonderful product), Unity is not adding the HTML5 exporter because players don't install the webplayer, but because Chrome (bad Chrome, bad!) decided to completely remove NPAPI support within the end of 2014. Too bad that while the webplayer is free, the HTML5 exporter is not (and that probably it will have even more bugs than the Flash exporter for a looong time) :/

49. fermmmm

fermmmm

I was an AS3 developer too, for 8 years. I don't say that Flash exporter is what every Unity developer uses, It works for you depending on your game, what I say is that still is being used and it's important, I know developers that crack Unity only to have the Flash exporter again.
    I'm finishing a 2D game that is simple enough to work with the Flash exporter without any problem (exept for DOTween, for the moment) and it's very important to me, because I don't have time to waste porting all the code to AS3.
    There is a viral misinterpretation of Steve Jobs' opinions he made public when he blocked Flash in the apple mobile devices that is making all the people think that Flash must be killed right now. It's ok to kill Flash but I desagree with the desition of Unity to stop selling the Flash exporter because they don't have something to replace it yet.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  50. fermmmm

fermmmm