Search Unity

DOTween (HOTween v2), a Unity tween engine

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Demigiant, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Demigiant

Demigiant

Ahahahah! Glad we got un-confused

What about the nomenclature for such a method? I might call it DOLocalAxisRotate? I'll have to think of something shorter.

Why am I still awake! I'm crazy! I need to go to sleep! bye! :D

2. jagttt

jagttt

@lzitmee Thanks for the quick response! I think it would be a good idea to put Web Player in the supported platforms, or it's a little bit of confusing :)

3. RichHurst

RichHurst

@Izitmee @Dávid Debnár Sorry, didn't mean to cause confusion and I explained it in a rather lengthy confusing manner, the drawing idea was much clearer. It would be a handy feature though!

4. Demigiant

Demigiant

Whew I wasted quite a lot of time trying to implement DOLocalAxisRotate but every method I tried failed some of the tests. But I will prevail! *_*

@jagttt You're totally right and I did that now :)

5. DavidDebnar

DavidDebnar

@Izitmee I know, it just won't budge, will it?! :confused: I tried to implement it myself, but failed and hence asked what was being passed into the setter, because I couldn't quite put my finger on the bug. Although! I smell, that AngleAxis is the right way to go :eek:

6. Demigiant

Demigiant

Eheh the rotation system is pretty simple once you get the hang of it, and I implemented it already. To rotate around an object's local axis coordinates you just do:
    Code (csharp):
    2. newRotation = transform.localRotation * desiredRotation;
    The problem I have is that I can easily do that by applying a customized setter, but only when the tween is created, and thus the initial localRotation (which is used throughout the whole tween) is memorized immediately instead than when the tween starts up. Now I'm trying to find the best way to memorize it later, uff.

7. DavidDebnar

DavidDebnar

@Izitmee Yes, exactly, that's why I tried using the AngleAxis instead of multiplying the localRotation, but I may be entirely wrong on this as I didn't get it to work. :oops:

8. Demigiant

Demigiant

Mhmm I made some experiments with AngleAxis but it didn't work as intended at all. But I'm gonna try again then :)

9. Demigiant

Demigiant

10. DavidDebnar

DavidDebnar

11. Demigiant

Demigiant

Wheee! :) In the end I used startLocalRotation * targetRotation, but implemented a system to take the starting localRotation only when it's needed and not when the tween is created. That allows Sequences to work correctly like this (Z then X then Y 90° rotation)

2014-08-14_21-12-53.gif

Code (csharp):
    1. DOTween.Sequence()
    2.   .Append(transform.DOLocalAxisRotate(new Vector3(0, 0, 90), 1))
    3.   .Append(transform.DOLocalAxisRotate(new Vector3(90, 0, 0), 1))
    4.   .Append(transform.DOLocalAxisRotate(new Vector3(0, 90, 0), 1));

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  12. DavidDebnar

DavidDebnar

I just cried a little. Amazing beautiful job! I suppose I have to donate now. :rolleyes: :)

13. RichHurst

RichHurst

You sir, are a genius! That's really cool and to be totally honest I think this rotation system would be very relevant to a lot of people. Unity's rotation system always seemed a little strange to me as I felt it should work more like this.

This sounds really cheeky given all the work you have just done on this (and feel fairly responsible), but is it possible to have it use the MoveRotation method for rigidbodies too? Or would it be too much trouble for such a niche problem?

Seconded about donation, although I was planning on purchasing the pro version (am I right in thinking this would include path tweening or did I imagine reading that?)

14. DavidDebnar

DavidDebnar

15. rakkarage

rakkarage

No fancy editor like hot? Thanks

16. Demigiant

Demigiant

I'm so glad you guys like this rotation system so much :) And now that I see it, I find it very useful too and don't know why I didn't implement it from the beginning. And @RichHurst you're right and I just forgot: next update I'm gonna implement DOLocalAxisRotate for rigidbodies too.

EDIT: ooops forgot to mention that yes, as the masterful Dávid linked, pro version will have the path plugin, maybe other additional features, and some advanced downloadable examples.

@rakkarage I don't plan (at least for now) to make a visual editor like hot, but @Dávid Debnár mentioned that he might make one in the future ;)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  17. Demigiant

Demigiant

P.S. I don't know if you noticed, since I never mentioned it, but if you click on the [DOTween] gameObject while playing in Unity Editor, the Inspector will show various infos about it (I will add more stuff there in the future):

2014-08-15 00_53_55-Unity - Basics.unity - UnityTests.Unity4 - Web Player_.png

18. RichHurst

RichHurst

@Izitmee Thats great news, looking forward to the update, thanks... do you have any rough time scale for when the pro version may be released?

@Dávid Debnár I didn't think I completely imagined it!

19. Demigiant

Demigiant

I hope to have the pro version for the middle of September, but it's a very rough time for me now so I can't tell for sure.

20. RichHurst

RichHurst

Cool, Thanks... Don't worry, I wont hold you to that! :D

21. Demigiant

Demigiant

New update (0.7.310) implements some major changes (and new features).

Since I was asked to make it optional, now tweens are not recycled by default anymore. Instead, you can choose how recycling will happen, either when calling DOTween.Init or by changing DOTween.defaultRecyclable or by setting the recycle behaviour for each specific tween via SetRecyclable.

Other than that there is a new OnKill callback, DOLocalAxisRotation for rigidbodies, and some bugfixes.

22. fermmmm

fermmmm

Thanks for that fix, now my game works perfect, I have a question, does HOTween have instance recycling? because I had a problem with HOTween with tweens not being Killed after I call Kill, and with DOtween the problem is gone, maybe it was related.

23. jvt619

jvt619

WOW! It's simpler than HOTween. Gonna try this

24. jodev

jodev

Not sure if I am doing something wrong, but is it correct that the OnComplete callback of tweeners and sequences are not called when playing backwards?

25. Demigiant

Demigiant

@jodev Yes it is correct. The OnStepComplete callback is called even when going backwards, but OnComplete is meant to be called only when the tween is complete as in "the end value has been fully applied".

26. Demigiant

Demigiant

@fermmmm Nope HOTween didn't have recycling, so that must be a different bug. I'll investigate.

27. jodev

jodev

Thanks for the lightning quick reply Izitmee. OnStepComplete does indeed fire the callback.

That said, I'm not sure if this behavior is clear. The documentation for OnComplete says it "will be fired the moment the tween reaches completion, all loops included". Intuitively I would say that the word completion would mean the tween ending a playback state. The "end value" as you mentioned above would in this case refer to the starting position, as that is the end of the tween in a backwards playback.

Because OnStepComplete does fire while playing backwards (even though the documentation is worded quite similar), I feel that OnComplete should be called when playback is done completely, regardless of the playback direction.

Just my two cents.

28. Demigiant

Demigiant

You're right, I didn't think about that, thanks for the feedback.

I actually don't want OnComplete to fire when playing backwards, because that would actually lead to unintended calls (like when you do Rewind a tween, and find yourself with an OnComplete call). Also, OnComplete is practical to add operations that you want to call based on the end values of a tween. Instead, I will change the XML comments and docs to make the distinction between OnStepComplete and OnComplete clearer. Added that to my TODO for tomorrow or Monday (first I want to finish a kinda complex Shake/Punch system I'm working on).

29. renman3000

renman3000

Hi @Izitmee, as a HOTween user I am very excited by this. I just have gone over the website and it looks great. Not only performance but I am excited about all these shortcuts.

What I am struggling to figure out is Sequence. Can you give a real world example of when you might use this? And its effct?

30. DavidDebnar

DavidDebnar

@renman3000 A real world example:

@Izitmee Hey! I've almost finished writing a brand-new editor for DOTweena and I noticed, that you have DOTween.defaultAutoPlay but no Tween.SetAutoPlay (). Is this an oversight or is it deliberate?

31. renman3000

renman3000

Thanks David, but how is that not just three Tweens, ran in succession? Or is that just it? Group tweens together, Vs using onComplete? Also, that OnComplete limits the tween. sequence is thus much more flexible?

32. DavidDebnar

DavidDebnar

@renman3000 It's not just it, that's the whole point - controlling a number of tweens, delays and callbacks as one.

33. renman3000

renman3000

So, create a sequence. Go figure. Must the tweens run in succesion or can you run two at once with in a sequence? I know that might be a bit tricky and impractical.

34. DavidDebnar

DavidDebnar

35. renman3000

renman3000

Wow,
    So one line per tween, under one sequence, plus the insert, allows each tween to run in succession with the one insert running thru the whole sequence. Wow. Think this is a tween game changer?

36. renman3000

renman3000

Ps.
    Since he has set up shortcuts, it seems Tweeners do not always need to be defined. If this is true, are we saving memory?

Edit,
    Just noticed you can set the amplitude of an elastic ease. This is very handy as sometime the elastic is the right effect but the amplitude is too heavy. Well done.
    :)

37. Demigiant

Demigiant

Another highfive to you for the explanations Dávid :)

And hey Ren! Yes, we are saving a lot of memory and GC allocations compared to HOTween.

renman3000 likes this.
  38. Demigiant

Demigiant

Oops forgot to answer your question Dávid. I didn't implement a SetAutoPlay because it felt kind of redundant. But I did implement a chainable Pause and a chainable Play, so you can always do:
    Code (csharp):
    1. transform.DOMove(45, 1).Pause();
    or
    Code (csharp):
    1. transform.DOMove(45, 1).Play();

39. renman3000

renman3000

Awesome idea dude.
    I have been going over the documentation. What a great idea.

Super excited.

40. jerotas

jerotas

Hi, we're using Hotween currently, which is awesome. Can you tell me how, with Dotween, one would decide whether to recycle tweens or not? Is recycling better performance?

41. jerotas

jerotas

Never mind, found that answer on your site. I don't suppose you'd write a shortcut for Tweening a LocalScale? That's usually what we always use.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
    renman3000 likes this.
  42. Demigiant

Demigiant

Just to resume the recycling question. Recycling is better performance because a recycled tween doesn't generate GC allocations when created, and is slightly faster at startup. Though if working with less then hundreds of tweens it's not really noticeable. The con is that with recycling you might be storing a reference to a tween that has been killed and is now being used by something else.

DOScale already uses localScale. I didn't add a "local" to the name because lossyScale is a completely different matter than global scale. I just updated the docs to make it more clear.

43. Demigiant

Demigiant

zyzyx likes this.
  44. VeTaL

VeTaL

Great! Any chances to get DOShakeScale() for objects (not only camera)?

45. Demigiant

Demigiant

@VeTaL I implemented shake only for camera because I didn't see a need for it elsewhere, but I surely could do it. Still, I have planned a DOPunch shortcut which will work with both scale, rotation and position. Maybe it already would do the trick?

46. VeTaL

VeTaL

Sure, sounds great!

47. smitchell

smitchell

tested with Unity5 ;) works great

Demigiant likes this.
  48. Demigiant

Demigiant

New Update v0.7.425
    Adds transform.DoPunchPosition/Rotation/Scale, camera.DOShakeRotation, DOTween.Punch, DOTween.Shake, a virtual To tween, plus other minor features, optimizations and bugfixes

@VeTaL the DOPunch methods should be what you were looking for

@smitchell Great, thank you! :) I heard there are issues with WebGL export, but I'm waiting for the official Unity 5 release to see how it'll be, because those issues are not related to special classes but just to the way I use generics, so Unity should definitely fix them.

49. VeTaL

VeTaL

Yaay!

50. pixelballoon

pixelballoon

I've only been using DOTween for a couple of days so far, but first impressions - it's great! Really nice to use. Looking forward to the 'pro' version appearing on the asset store so I can throw some money your way.

I'm going to add it myself for now, but might I suggest adding an extension method for DOShake* to transform? Personally, I find myself using shake for a lot of stuff outside of the camera movement, so it's quite useful to have that extension method in there.

Also, I was just about to request it, but I've just spotted the custom SetEase function that supports a custom AnimationCurve, nice work!