Search Unity

Does Unity3D Have It's Own Code Editor?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by JeZxLee, Sep 25, 2016.

1. JeZxLee

JeZxLee

Hi,

Getting ready to start using Unity3D for some 2D video game projects.
    We briefly looked at Unity3D and have an initial question:

Does Unity3D have it's own code editor?

We tried to make a script and it slowly opened MS Visual Studio 2015 Community?
    Let us know, thanks!

2. mikael_juhala

mikael_juhala

If you're asking whether the Unity Editor itself has a code editor, then no. Unity comes with MonoDevelop, which is also an external application. Check Edit->Preferences->External Tools. There you can select which code editor you would like to use.

I personally highly recommend using Visual Studio. It might start up slowly, but once running, it's quite fast and very stable.

3. JeZxLee

JeZxLee

Ok, thanks for the info...
    We will have further questions soon as development begins...

4. arkon

arkon

I use Visual Studio Code, very fast to start up. I now use it instead of VS2015 as there is no need to compile or build anything. Code lets you customise it to death too, plus its easy to add your own macros etc.

5. JeZxLee

JeZxLee

Forgive us, we are coming from GameMaker:Studio which does have built-in(and terrible) code editor.
    Why does Unity not have a built-in code editor?
    Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 Community is too heavy for us so I guess we will check out this Visual Studio Code thing...
    Thanks!

6. mikael_juhala

mikael_juhala

A new code editor just for Unity is not really needed, since there are already many good editors around. Devs of these editors have had years to improve the workflows and fix issues. For the same reason Unity does not need a built-in alternative to Photoshop or Blender (and many other tools).

Many developers are also already familiar with these tools, so it's better for their workflow to let them use them, instead of replace these tools with something completely new.

7. LaneFox

LaneFox

VS opens Unity Projects quite fast. If it takes longer than 10 seconds to open then you're either running on a potato or using some plugin that bogs it down.

Unity doesn't have its own built in code editor because that is not needed, nor would it be better than other more standard and professional solutions like Visual Studio and MonoDevelop. GameMaker is unanimously abhorred for it's coding solution, I'd say not trying to beat the quality of VS/MD is a good decision.

8. JeZxLee

JeZxLee

Hi,

Sorry, but we are using Linux Mint 18 MATE 64Bit on all our development computers
    with Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64Bit running in a VMWare virtual machine.
    (so yes there are performance issue when creating a new script in Unity and opening MSVS15 Community)

We will use this Microsoft Visual Studio Code application - seems to much lighter.
    Thanks!

9. LaneFox

LaneFox

VS Code should be lighter but wow - I'm seriously curious why you would actually prefer to develop on Linux through a VM versus just using Windows. There has to be some extremely compelling reason to that forced you guys to make that kind of development choice.

10. JeZxLee

JeZxLee

Hi,

We don't want to start a forum flame war about Windows versus Linux.
    Thanks to all for there help and support, more questions to come as development begins...

11. Jaimi

Jaimi

12. arkon

arkon

If you try VS Code, make sure you install the c# plugins and then bottom right of the editor window select your project so that code completion works properly.