Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Does the Web Payer support PBR?

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by AlanF, Sep 30, 2014.

1. AlanF

AlanF

Is it possible for me to develop content using PBR materials for the web player? I love the way Substance Designer is integrated well with Unity now but what if I want to use content that already has PBR material created for it in the web player, to showcase the PBR materials for instance? Is it do-able? It's not exactly clear in the documentation so I thought I'd ask here.

Thanks Alan

2. Ryan-Gatts

Ryan-Gatts

There's nothing in particular about PBR that makes it unfit for the web player other than that it tends to be a more expensive shader than most other current shaders. If your game doesn't require a lot of objects or a lot of effects, you can probably afford more expensive rendering operations. If your game is big and has a lot of lights and polygons on screen, you will probably be better off with a simpler shader.

I wrote my own PBR, and have used it in a web-deployed game (also for pc, mac, and linux) for ludum dare 29 with no problems.

3. AlanF

AlanF

Sounds good. We plan on having a just a single scene, showing off some models with PBR materials on them and it sounds as if it's a good plan. Cheers and thanks Ryan

4. Ryan-Gatts

Ryan-Gatts

no problem :)