Search Unity

Does a professional 3d artist need to know how to animate the models to.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gdog105, Jul 29, 2015.

1. gdog105

gdog105

I love art and have done it for 7 years now. I want to in the next two years go to school for game art. Would I need to also animate my art. My dream job would be at bestheda , so I'm guessing one guy would make art for the character and another would animate it since there are so many enemy's and characters.

2. Ness

Ness

No you don't need to, but at some point understanding rigging might be requiered.

Ony likes this.
  3. gdog105

gdog105

Why?:eek:

4. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Yes. You don't need to be an expert, but you do need to be able to make a passable attempt at every aspect if the art pipeline.

At the very least this will prevent you from passing on work that is unusable by the next stage if artists.

zombiegorilla and Deleted User like this.
  5. Ryiah

Ryiah

We had a similar discussion a few days ago and if I remember correctly the general consensus was that the artist is expected to be capable of the different aspects even if they're not necessarily that good at them. Essentially this consists of creating the model, texturing it, rigging it, and animating it.

elmar1028, SunnyChow and Kiwasi like this.
  6. gdog105

gdog105

At least I know now that I need both.

7. Gekigengar

Gekigengar

Topography and practical modelling that will actually be useable after rigging. You also need to know where to put the extra loops for better twist and bend. And place necessary triangles you cannot escape on places that does not have much weight in the model.

8. aer0ace

aer0ace

Topology too. ;)