Search Unity

Do you get problems with patch releases?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Nihil688, Oct 3, 2015.

1. Nihil688

Nihil688

As far as I remember all patch releases created some sort of problem for our builds. Sometimes it complained about not having mondo.exe installed or UnwrapCL.exe or most of the times didn't even start.

Does anyone else has this sort of problems as we've been having them for some time now?

2. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Is this a particular patch release or all of them?
    We recommended you only use a patch release if you need a particular fix that is listed in its release notes. Patches do not go through the same level of QA as a normal release. They are not a way of being on the latest version of Unity, more for when you are suffering from a particular bug and cant progress without an urgent fix.

Kiwasi likes this.
  3. Nihil688

Nihil688

Yeah we understand that, it's just that we get the same exact series of problems through all patches. Basically we see mondo.exe and UnwrapCL.exe when we're lucky as it's usually crashing before we even get to open our project and the crash dump aren't very helpful.

Now for example I know that 5.2.1p1 had some issues with fbxs having empty nodes where they should have geometry and that's crashing it but we've had very similar issues through time and we are wondering whether we've fundamentally have done something wrong with using patch releases or there's something wrong with our models. Mind you our project is pretty big so it's not easy to just submit something that big for just that.

4. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

There was a crash in UnwrapCL that was fixed in 5.2.1p2. If this does not fix it then consider filing a bug report so we can investigate.

5. Nihil688

Nihil688

Sure I know, I checked the other posts as well, in p2 it does indeed fix the UnwrapCL issue but it still crashed and complained about mondo.exe but we've been getting similar crashes throughout the whole project when we used patch releases. What's the best way to fill a report without uploading a huge project with it?

6. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

7. Nihil688

Nihil688

It didn't make any difference, we have a lot of art assets and it could be any amount of things but I don't understand why it only happens on patch versions and sometimes on betas

8. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

9. Nihil688

Nihil688

Ah! Great! Hope you loved it, we got greenlit 4 days later :)

Argh! I didn't keep a backup! I just tried the 5.3 beta and it broke everything so I've deleted my library 3 times in the past hours so now I'm back in 5.2.0f3 and it just opened with a few errors:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Modo could not be launched and perform the conversion.
    2. Make sure that Modo is installed and the .lxo file has Modo as its 'Open with' application!
    I will try 5.2.1p2 again break my project upload the log, then try 5.3 beta again crash it again and upload another one from that :D

karl_jones likes this.
  10. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Hmm so something is going wrong converting the modo files. Do you have it installed on your machine? One way around it would be to export the files as fbx so they don't need to be converted, although that could be a lot of work for you at this stage.

11. Nihil688

Nihil688

Everything's an fbx in our project we don't have any modo files :D In non patch releases it's not asking for it and everything's working as should

12. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

That does sound strange. If you are able to recreate it with a small project that would be super, be interested to see whats going on.

13. Nihil688

Nihil688

14. Nihil688

Nihil688

Any ideas?

15. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Sorry I did look on Monday but forgot to respond :confused:
    Can you file a bug report with this?
    I took a look but nothing stood out, if you file a bug report it will go to the right people.

16. Nihil688

Nihil688

OK I got a few clues as to what might be causing it. I created a new project using 5.2.1p3 and imported everything bit by bit.

When I had everything in apart from some particles I started checking the player settings as my colours were different than before ( we're using linear colors instead of gamma ). So I thought it might needs resetting, the moment I set it to gamma, Unity crashed and gave me the same crash dump as usual but when I opened the scene again it worked fine and had the normal colours this time.

Moving on I imported our particles in which include shaders, prefabs and some of them had scenes from assets bought on the store as examples. When I imported those it crashed again and this time it wouldn't open at all, just like when I update our project to a patch version normally.

I am still trying to isolate the problem but another clue is that we have a lot of files in that particle folder ( around 3000 ) could the number itself be the problem?

17. Nihil688

Nihil688