Search Unity

No Heroes - A realistic multiplayer FPS

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by eskovas, Jul 12, 2011.

1. eskovas

eskovas

Bushmaster ACR

High poly with around 4 million polygons

and

Low poly with 3090 polygons and normal map

2. eskovas

eskovas

Here is the final ACR model with the following textures:
    - Diffuse Map
    - Normal Map
    - Specular Map
    - Glossy Map

This image was taken inside Unity free!

This is a video showing the new weapon and all its textures

3. Digital Pie

Digital Pie

I'm planning to make my own FPS in the future with some friends on unity, do you reccomend learning C language for it. I am already quite good at blender, not to toot my own horn. If you could give me any advice i would be thankful

4. eskovas

eskovas

Hi there,
    If you want to get into programming in Unity, i would suggest learning javascript with some tutorials on youtube (check tornado twins) as it is more simple (but almost equal) than C# and then when you are more confortable with javascript then switch to C# (thats the way i did it)
    Hope that awnsered your question :)
    - Tiago

5. eskovas

eskovas

Hello Everyone!
    Sorry for not posting updates for awhile but we have been busy with university work, so we couldn't advance much on the game.
    Anyway here are some features and other things we are currently working on:
    - New Gloves ( WIP );
    - New Weapon ACR ( making some final touches );
    - Hit Detection ( DONE! )
    - Parkour Animations;
    - Improving the gameplay experience;
    - Working on the database and servers;
    - Creating a new Menu and a new Weapon Customization menu.
    - Prototyping the in-game Unlocking system.

We might upload a new Video Update next weekend or next week, but due to university work, it might not feature many new features.
    Hope you guys understand.

6. eskovas

eskovas

Here is a little sneak peek of the new Gloves (WIP), ACR (WIP), Hit Mark (WIP)

7. eskovas

eskovas

Hello Everyone!
    We are happy to announce that our game is on Steam Greenlight!
    So if you want to see our game on steam, then go ahead to our page and click on Thumbs Up button!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=102544767&searchtext

We are also annoucing our game's name : No Heroes!
    We are also showing our new Logo for the Drunken Lizard Games and No Heroes!

Thanks for the incredible support!

8. eskovas

eskovas

Hello Everyone!

The next update will most likely be released this weekend :)

It will feature the new WIP map (Urban section of the island) that will be in the alpha multiplayer.
    We are currently designing the map with standard cubes to test the gameplay. Only after we are satisfied with the results, we will begin to create all environment models and textures.
    We also fixed a very important bug that would crash the game very frequently. (this bug has been around for more than 10 updates)

9. jheard901

jheard901

Amazing progress you guys have made since the first update video. Keep up the great work!

10. eskovas

eskovas

New update #28!

Vote for us on Steam Greenlight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=102544767&searchtext=

Changes in this Update:
    - New Map being designed with standard cubes to test the level design and gameplay,
    - New weapon ( ACR );
    - New Gloves;
    - Fixed a very important bug that would crash the game very often;
    - Many improvements and bug fixes.

11. eskovas

eskovas

We are making many changes to the multiplayer map, we are making it bigger, more vertical, more diverse, more spaces to different gameplay styles.
    We also decided that the multiplayer maps won't be in a single divided island but each map will be an island in a group of islands.
    We are also making the first steps in creating the database.
    It's possible to register using a key and make a login to be able to play the game.
    More updates coming soon :)

12. LilWiebe

LilWiebe

WARNING INCOMING FEEDBACK:

1.Skin should not have any specular.
    2.A single light is not enough to make a map "work". Even though you do not have unity pro, you should still be using a LOT more lights than you are currently. Remember: Current gen graphics look best at the BOUNDARY between light and shadow. Therefore, more smaller lights are better than one big one. (Use to taste, of course)
    3.Decide on a graphic style. You can't just go for "realistic", current computers can't handle true realism... yet. Pick some "unrealistic" visual style and stick with it for all assets! For example: Slightly cartoony (See TF2), Super reflective (see every game made with UDK ever), Bright and contrasting colors, (See Borderlands), Dense lighting changes (See original Crysis, in the forest there were lighting changes almost every few pixels), Caricatured shapes with realistic surfaces (See Big Buck Bunny), etc.
    4.This will sound strange but... get rid of the bullet holes. They have never added anything to any game, ever. At least in my opinion.
    5.When using lightmaps, your ambient occlusion should have a higher radius but lower amount. IMO.
    6.Your game isn't fast paced. I can't remember if you've kept the fall/landing animation, but if you have, get rid of it. It is not conducive to parkour. Ladder climbing is also much to cumbersome. Keep the animation if you can, but try to make it FEEL more like minecraft ladders. While minecraft ladders are NOT realistic, they are very fast and easy to use.
    7.You need a new human model. I'm sure you already know this, and with how much you've improved your modeling/texturing skills, I'm sure you can vastly improve on the current version.

8.Most importantly, learn when gameplay is more important than realism. Having 9000+ loadouts with realistic animations for each is cool, but does it make the game fun?

I know that I just kinda tore your game apart, but trust me, I like what you've done so far, I want you to succeed. Everything I just said is meant with the best of intentions. Good luck!

13. eskovas

eskovas

Thanks for the feedback LilWiebe.

---

Here is a new update of the island.
    Hope you like the progress :)

14. SevenBits

SevenBits

Looks incredible! Can't wait to play it!

15. eskovas

eskovas

Hello Everyone!

Next update of No Heroes should be released within the next two days!

Here are the new changes:
    - Improved multiplayer map! (5-7 times bigger than in the last update);
    - New Parkour and first person animations;
    - All new Parkour detection system (more dynamic, more precise and more optimized);
    - All new projectile physics ( more optimized and correct projectile physics);
    - WIP menu with Login/Register with key;
    - Improved hit mark;
    - Many bug fixes;
    - And more!

Hope you like the next update.
    Support us and help us make the next big thing :)

16. eskovas

eskovas

Here is a fun comparison between our test map and the new multiplayer map!
    Note that the multiplayer map is still in WIP.

17. eskovas

eskovas

No Heroes - Update #29 : Feat. Parkour

Changes in this Update:
    - Improved multiplayer map (WIP), about 4-7 times bigger than in the previous update;
    - New parkour/free running and first person animations;
    - New parkour detection system created from scratch, it's more dynamic, precise and efficient;
    - We are already creating the database and menu, it's possible to login and register with a key;
    - Improved hit detection;
    - Recreated bullet physics from scratch, it's more realistic and optimized;
    - The new parkour system recognizes all types of objects and not only walls;
    - The map is being created with parkour/free running in mind.

18. HolBol

HolBol

What you could is use multiple baked point lights to fake global illumination?

19. eskovas

eskovas

TS Scope 4X in High Poly (Still WIP)

@Fishman92
    Well the map currently takes about 4 hours to bake with AO, adding multiple point lights would increase the bake time, so for now i'm using 2 directional lights to simulate global illumination.
    I should really get a new PC (i'm using a 4 year old laptop to create the game xD).

20. HolBol

HolBol

Yeah. get something with some graphics power behind it. A few point lights won't hurt.

21. SirWaffles

SirWaffles

I wish my 4 year old laptop could do that xD

22. eskovas

eskovas

Well it's not that powerfull, at least by todays standards,

Here are the specs(i currently run my game at 70-100FPS in fullscreen and with the maximum resolution my laptop can handle):

CPU : Intel Core 2 Duo T9400 @ 2.53GHz
    GPU : Nvidea Geforce 9700M GT with 512 MB dedicated
    RAM : 4GB DDR2
    Screen Resolution: 1680x1050

Today's average computer is better than mine, so the average computer can run my game easily.

23. eskovas

eskovas

Leupold Mk4 CQ/T

Comparison between:
    High Poly : 373414 Polygons
    Low Poly : 1542 Polygons
    Low Poly + Normal Map : 1542 Polygons

24. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

Wow, that's crazy cool. Thanks for sharing!

25. SirWaffles

SirWaffles

WOW 70-100 frames is amazing but i doubt my laptop couldnt run it that well so im building a computer for black friday. hopefully i can buy the radeon hd 7850

26. gilgameš

gilgameš

Hi Eskovas, i'm interested in joining your project, if you need another 3d artist, i sent you a private message with more details.

27. eskovas

eskovas

No Heroes - Update #30 : Bullet Physics

Changes in this Update:
    - Multiplayer map's layout is done, and now we will begin to create the actual models and textures.
    - New scope effect,
    - New Weapon Sight (WIP)
    - This update shows have the bullet system works.

28. gilgameš

gilgameš

Hi, are you guys still recruiting people to help in the development, if yes, i would be glad to help. Thanks.

29. eskovas

eskovas

Here is an high quality image of the island.

Here are some fixes i made from feedback we received with the last update:
    - Reduced bullet drop, it was a bit exagerated;
    - Reduced overall recoil and bullet spread while full auto firing;
    - Improved muzzle velocity and accuracy of shotguns, it was almost impossible to hit someone further than 10-15 meters.
    - Increased velocity of parkour moves;
    - Increased weapon damage.

I will be making more changes to make the game more enjoyable but keep it somewhat realistic.
    With these changes the game feels less frustrating and more enjoyable.
    If you haven't watched the update, then check our last post or go to our channel on Youtube.

Sorry but we were never recruting people to join the team, and we not recruting anyone right now. Anyway thanks for the offer.

30. eskovas

eskovas

Hello,
    I'm sorry to announce that the team has been reduced to 1 member (Tiago) due to lack of time to work on the game by Luís part.
    Don't worry, the game will continue but it will take more time than predicted, so to be fair to everyone who donated and was hoping to play the game soon:
    I will send an e-mail to everyone who donated, so if you want i will return the exact ammount of what was donated (i think this way is fair for those who donated).
    I will be making the alpha free for everyone when it is ready (which will take more time to be released).

Don't spam asking to join, because i won't be recruting anyone right now.
    Hope you understand what happened and keep supporting, because you are the ones that keep me motivated.

Thanks
    -Tiago

31. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

Hey, sorry to hear that... But I'm glad you are going to keep going! Best of luck!

32. TBD

TBD

There is website for the game? And do you about know when the game will release? And it looks very very nice !!!! :D

33. eskovas

eskovas

Thanks, i will continue the game, but obviously it will take more time to create, but since i can make about every aspect of the game, then it will be ok.

34. eskovas

eskovas

There isn't a website for the game yet, the game will be released sometime in 2013

35. SirWaffles

SirWaffles

Wow i hope that you can finish and reach your goal for unity pro

36. eskovas

eskovas

4 buildings rendered in Unity Free.
    These buildings are still WIP.
    Also note that this is just the structure of the buildings and that i'll be adding many props objects to the buildings and decals to make them look unique and detailed.

Here is a little update on what i'm working on:
    - Menu, it's still in a very early stage, but you can already login to the database to be able to play the game, you can search servers with filter options, you can create a server with some options (i will include many options to costumize the server), you can change the graphics settings and audio settings of the game.
    - Parkour, i've been creating new animations like rolling on the ground after falling from a great height and trying to fix the clipping on the beginning and ending of the animations.

37. Tomas_D

Tomas_D

To save time in asset creation have you considered creating the buildings in a modular way?

38. tigerija

tigerija

Can we get SWAT4 like gamplay?
    Realistic. Cover behind wall like in Rainbox Six Vegas 2 and Body part damage.
    They don't make games like those anymore... :(

39. dtg108

dtg108

Hey man, unfortunately we don't have great internet right now, so I can't watch youtube videos. What is the game about? Thanks!

40. eskovas

eskovas

Not sure about SWAT4 gameplay ( i really liked that game :) ), but i'll make the game realistic, and make the cover system like farcry 3 or crysis 2.
    I'm not trying to copy anything, just using some games to inspire my development.

41. eskovas

eskovas

Hey,
    Well, this game is a free-to-play online first person shooter featuring parkour, realistic physics and animations, fun and fast paced gameplay, Weapon and Character customization and more.
    This game is being made by one person (me) and i'm currently using free software only to develop it (Unity Free, Blender, GIMP).
    When your internet connection is better, go watch some videos :)
    If you have more questions regarding the game please ask.

42. eskovas

eskovas

[DLG] [ Unity 3D ] No Heroes - Update #31

Team has been reduced to 1 member, click here for more details:

Changes in this Update:
    - New WIP Menu. i'm creating the functionality first and then i'll work on the design and layout of the menu, more graphics options will come when i get Unity Pro, the host will be able to change many preferences in the server;
    - Changed overall recoil to horizontal recoil and vertical recoil; changed overall accuracy to hip accuracy and sight accuracy; this way, the weapons feel more unique;
    - I added an impact effect when a bullet hits an enemy and kills him, the enemy no longer just drops to the floor;
    - I began to model, uv unwrap, texture new buildings. There are 6 buildings done, I'll also start to create environment objects.
    - Movement is more fluid than ever;
    - Decreased hit marker's size;
    - I improved once again bullet physics, and reduced the bullet drop;
    - Increased weapon damage;
    - Speeded up Parkour animations, now it's faster to travel through the environment;
    - If the player keeps pressing the UP/W key, the player will roll when he falls;

- João (the creator of the musics)
    will be releasing an album online containing all tracks used in these updates!
    - Check DLG facebook for more information.

About Drunken Lizard Games:
    A one man team creating an innovative free-to-play First Person Shooter featuring parkour, fun gameplay, realistic physics and more!

43. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

Looking good, love how fast everything is now.

44. suctioncup

suctioncup

Accidental double post

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  45. suctioncup

suctioncup

Looks pretty amazing so far, you just need to tweak your lighting slightly. The shadows are too dark right now :)

46. eskovas

eskovas

Hello everyone!

18/12
    Here are a few updates:
    - New technique for the laser end point,
    - Cleaning up and optimizing code, reduced more than 5000 lines of code,
    - Creating the leaderboards, matches and game modes,
    - Creating buildings, prop objects, new attachments and weapon.

21/12
    Here is another small update on what i'm working on:
    - Leaderboard almost done;
    - Game type matches almost done (team death match and free for all, more will come);
    - New server properties (game type) and new server preferences ( friendly fire, team balance, regenerative health), more options will come;
    - Team balacing done;
    - Private servers almost done;
    - Working on recording in-game stats like kills, deaths, score, etc;
    - Fixing alot of bugs (really alot).

Here's an interesting find, although the new laser pointer doesn't affect anything, it feels easier to line up a shot when holding down sights.
    I'll also post a new video next week showing the evolution of No Heroes through 2012!

47. SirWaffles

SirWaffles

Lookiing forward to that Progress video, and the scope looks nice

48. eskovas

eskovas

@SirWaffles

Thanks, i will be making new and more detailed scopes in the near future.

49. eskovas

eskovas

This is a 2012 Recap video of No heroes showing the evolution of the game through 16 updates during 2012.

50. eskovas

eskovas

Here is the difference decals can make to buildings.
    Note that this early WIP.

Playing around with objects with physics, i'm still deciding if i will incorporate physics objects in the game, since it can be tricky to implement this into multiplayer.