Search Unity

No Heroes - A realistic multiplayer FPS

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by eskovas, Jul 12, 2011.

1. gwubgwub

gwubgwub

looks awesome

2. LilWiebe

LilWiebe

About your destruction, in the immortal words of Michael Bay: "ADD MORE S***!" :p

Seriously though, some smaller pieces, particle effects of small chunks and stuff, just try stuff and just throw tons of crap into the destruction sequence. It's technically impressive but it doesn't have spectacle yet. Don't worry about realism, just throw stuff in and if it doesn't look cool change it or get rid of it. Destruction is about "coolness" not "realism". :)

That said, this is the most inspiring currently active thread on this site, keep up the good work!

3. Ghosts_Riley

Ghosts_Riley

Eskovas I was wondering, how do you approach gun recoil? Is it an animation repeated over and over again, or is it coded like this

"Recoil
    Recoil is slightly more complex. Recoil is the movement of the sights while firing. It is determined by five numbers; maximum horizontal, minimum horizontal, maximum vertical, minimum vertical, and center speed. Each weapon has its own set of numbers. Every time a shot is fired, the game randomly chooses two numbers, one for vertical recoil and one for horizontal recoil. These numbers will be in between the weapon's maximum and minimum values for each shot. If a number is positive, it is right or up, and if it is negative, it is left or down. Thus, if a weapon has a positive minimum value or a negative maximum value, it will always kick in that direction.

Center speed
    Center speed is how fast the sights reset between shots. It takes effect immediately upon firing, but during fully automatic fire there is usually too much recoil for the sights to completely re-center after each shot. Low recoil is a result of a high center speed, minimum and maximum numbers having low absolute values and balanced values on all sides, and the weapon's rate of fire.

Recoil values do not stack, meaning that the next shot fired will kick however much it will kick regardless of whether or not the previous shot has finished kicking. However, because it kicks from wherever the sights were, rate of fire plays an important role. Some weapons, such as the P90, fire fast enough that the high rate of fire actually reduces recoil because multiple shots come out before the gun starts to kick noticeably, while others, such as the MP5, fire slow enough that the next shot will end up coming out at the peak of its recoil, which greatly increases recoil. This was done on purpose to balance weapons so that some could have low recoil and a high rate of fire while others could have high recoil and a low rate of fire. However, this only applies to a weapon's base rate of fire, as that is how the game was balanced. Because of this, using Double Tap or Rapid Fire will almost always lead to a considerable increase in recoil."? This info was taken from the call of duty wikia.

4. eskovas

eskovas

A quick update,
    This thread just received a name change, the last one was really old and no longer made sense ( FPS Game (WIP) ( Weekly Updates ) ).
    It now is [DLG] No Heroes - A realistic multiplayer FPS

More destruction!
    $Untitled2.jpg

5. eskovas

eskovas

Hello everyone

Here a new video ( Finally! :p ) showing all of the updates made since the last Video Update #43.

Hope you enjoy.

6. eskovas

eskovas

Hello everyone

Here's an update that many of you were waiting for.
    Also note that the menu isn't done yet, it's early WIP.

How the store will work:
    - You gain Game Points after each match,
    - Premium Points are points you buy (using Steam) or win in specific cases,
    - Once you unlock an attachment, it will be unlocked for every weapon it is compatible with,
    - Players that are in the top players of the week, will receive extra Game Points or Premium Points,
    - Players that win really hard game modes (Battle Royale) will probably also receive Premium Points ( haven't decided yet )

The following i haven't truly decided yet, i'm leaning towards Nº1, but i'll leave it up to you guys (just consider what's done in other games and if it's really fair or not to be able to do that, AKA League of Legends(nobody complains that every character can be bought) and other games)
    1: Only cosmetic items (skins, gear, avatars) will be able to be unlocked with premium points
    2: Every item can be unlocked with premium points

Also realize that i need to maintain servers, so any extra income is very important.

Feedback from the fans is very important, so please leave a comment with your suggestion/complain and post how you would resolve it. Don't just post nonsense.

Thanks,
    Tiago

7. AlanGameDev

AlanGameDev

This game is getting awesome and it's great that you didn't give up after so many years.

I know it's written somewhere but I'm a lazy guy, so: is the destruction scripted?

Um forte abraço e lhe desejo boa sorte neste fabuloso projeto. :)

8. LilWiebe

LilWiebe

As long as it's reasonably attainable for a player to earn all non-novelty non-cosmetics for free, it should be fine. You can charge for non-cosmetics if they're really weird and/or fanservice-ey. (in my opinion)

9. [Brysoft Games]

[Brysoft Games]

N°1 is a way better we all want to have same weapons it is better to unlock skins, gear, avatars then every item keep working DLG :)

10. eskovas

eskovas

After reading all comments and suggestions(everywhere i posted this), i decided that:

PREMIUM POINTS WILL ONLY UNLOCK COSMETIC ITEMS ( avatars, character gear and weapon skins)
    The majority of the cosmetic items will only be available with premium points, but there will be some cosmetic items available with game points.

Some updates:
    - The store is already functional, being able to unlock items with the desired currency(GP or PrP). This will be updated later on when i am able to work with Steam's API and other things. Right now, items are unlocked in the database, but in the future, they will be unlocked through Steam, having better security.
    - Saving loadouts is also already functional.

All of this is already working with a dedicated server located in another country. I'm also getting very good latency and response times from that server, so everything's working very well.
    Next, i'll be making the Customization Menu and Options Menu.
    After that i'll be working on the game servers and i'll be ready to start working on the core multiplayer code (gameserver/client code).

--------------------------

@ BeliarTheEvil
    Thanks for the support,
    Yes destruction is scripted ( not dynamic ), but some structures have different destruction events when you destroy them in a different way. Dynamic destruction would kill performance on both client and server.

11. eskovas

eskovas

Video Settings
    Very simple but gets the job done :)

$Options.jpg

12. fajefaje2

fajefaje2

13. georetro

georetro

14. eskovas

eskovas

Some small updates

- After looking again at the customization system that is currently in No Heroes, doesn't make much sense having, for example, an extended stock and a retracted stock (since both are the same stock), so i decided that you will be able to adjust the stock in real-time during matches, making the gameplay even more dynamic :)
    - Hitting someone on the legs with bullets will cause them to fall,
    - I also purchased some cheap but better gun sounds awhile ago, so things should sound a little better than before.

15. landon912

landon912

I always wondered about adding injuries to games, but I was never sure how to do so without ruining the fun. Seeing a scripted falling animation I thought be just be frustrating for the players. Can you elaborate on the design?

16. eskovas

eskovas

Yeah, i was never too sure about that too, this will just be a prototype, and if it works, then it will be in the game.
    The way i was thinking was, when the player is hit, then it will trigger an animation event and the player will fall but with the gun. This will give that player a chance to fight back. The player will also be able to get up and walk and run/walk fast after that.
    I also wanted to implement something like in Max Payne 3, where you can be prone and rotate the player freely.

The main focus of this game is realism, but too much realism also ruins the fun, so i'll test it and see if it works. (probably shouldn't have said it will be in the game :p and that i will test it before it's final )

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  17. landon912

landon912

Can't wait to see how it goes! Good luck! It's definatly an interesting topic.

18. primus88

primus88

eskovas, leaving aside the fact that your game is awesome, can you please tell me with whom you talked regarding the thread title change? :D

Thanks

19. eskovas

eskovas

I talked with Aurore. She told me to do this:

20. eskovas

eskovas

Just an image of destruction to pass the time :)
    $10272586_607218466037137_6246615992140527788_o.jpg

This is from a 3 month old build though. visuals have improved, but i can't take any images from the latest.

21. R. Smith

R. Smith

One excellent way to make the game stand out to the players is through the creative use of audio assets. :)

You can have a game with brilliant graphics, but if the sound is mediocre, then many games are forgotten long before they should. This is especially true for FPS games. A game can have terrible visuals with brilliantly executed sound effects and music and still be popular.

As a sound engineer, I mix things up, I make my own sound libraries, and quite often, I enjoy putting my sound effects inside other games to see how well they adapt.

22. Terminator75

Terminator75

Hi Eskovas. First of all....THIS GAME IS AWESOME! :D . Just wanted to give you a couple of suggestions.

1) Kill-cam implementation...This is something that is lacking in almost all Unity FPS titles which is a bit sad. Players will get frustrated and often call other players Hackers when they dont see the enemy kill them....adding a Kill-cam will lessen this frustration of getting killed to a certain extent (in my opinion) Still getting killed is frustrating. But im hoping this feature will be implemented in your awesome game, just dont spend too much time on this if its a lost cause....Unity does have its limits and everyone wants you to release the game as soon as possible. :D

Secondly, a Unity Webplayer version of the game rather than the standalone might be More appealing to the General Casual gamers who want a Good FPS experience rather than downloading and installing a Standalone.

2)Releasing this awesome game on steam only is not gonna get this game much attention from casual gamers who doesn't visit steam so often. So i suggest you release this game on a Huge Casual gaming website like http://www.kongregate.com/ as a Webplayer version, its not gonna be too difficult to get their API's either i think. Many Unity FPS games have had a lot of success with the site where a Unity made FPS game Reached the TOP 5 MOST PLAYED games of the website (CS PORTABLE) which is like a Unity remake version of Counter strike with over 30 Million plays....Yes 30 Milllion! :D. The site also gives prominance to Unity games with a Game Category Completely Dedicated to Unity 3d games :D . If you release the game here as well, im sure your game will have huge success.

One more thing.....if its not too much trouble, Can you Tell us what might the approximate Download size of the game gonna be? Thanks for this wonderfull game man, Keep up the good work.
    Best of luck and hope you will take these suggestions under consideration :D.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  23. hergo97

hergo97

Is there any Unity Game with Killcam?

24. Terminator75

Terminator75

I dont think so........not on any Unity Browser based FPS anyway. Maybe this is just a Unity Limitation :( . If you can implement Killcam the game is gonna be awesome and It will be a Unity first i think. :D

25. eskovas

eskovas

@Terminator75
    Thanks for the suggestions and support,

To awnser your questions,
    The game won't have killcams... Killcam isn't something i want to put in the game.
    The game will be standalone and i only have plans to release the game on Steam. I won't be making it a browser game.
    It's too early to tell the size of the game, since i will be remaking many assets and adding many new ones with much better quality.

PS:
    killcams are not an engine limitation. It's fairly simple to make it, but it doesn't make sense in many games.

26. Terminator75

Terminator75

Hi eskovas.
    Killcam isn't a necessity so i understand what your saying. A bit disappointed to hear its not gonna be a browser game.....but still this doesn't change the excitement levels for the Release of the game :D.
    Thanks for this gem of a game and Best of luck for the future to you sir. ..... ;)

27. hergo97

hergo97

Once i wrote a killcam script but it was laggy :D

28. eskovas

eskovas

29. eskovas

eskovas

Well, turns out i've been using image effects the wrong way all this time :p HDR was badly setup with other images effects and tonemapping, and the order of some were wrong too. All of that decreased the quality alot.

In this image, i'm using a new sky system i got awhile back but never got the time to set it up.

Hope you enjoy it :)

$environmentGator1.jpg
    $environmentGator2.jpg
    $environmentGator3.jpg
    $environmentGator4.jpg

30. eskovas

eskovas

Gameplay moments captured during updates #41 and #42.
    Remember these updates are very old and does not represent the current stage of the game, not even by a long shot :)
    Hope you enjoy :)

31. ZunaUchiha

ZunaUchiha

This game is amazing. It has a lot of potential, and I hope this game will become popular. Also on one of your videos said to vote for your game on some site, and I would like to vote for it. Is there a link you can post when u get the chance.
    But Great GAME!

32. Terminator75

Terminator75

Yeah the game is AWESOME!.....The game was up for voting on Steam Greenlight. It has Already been Greelit by the Hundrends and thousands of supporters of this game :D. So now theres no need to vote for the game cuz its allready greenlit.

Hope the Alpha Comes out soon! Im dying to play this game ;D

33. jackhearts

jackhearts

Glad to hear it! They don't really make sense and just give away your position if you're sniping or in cover.

34. ZunaUchiha

ZunaUchiha

O Good then

35. eskovas

eskovas

Here's an update on what i've been doing lately in No Heroes.
    This will get a bit long and technical :)

Aside from the multiplayer networking and menu, i've been remaking all of the player/weapon/attachments systems in the game. This is a complete remake of the code, better structured and scalable. I'm making the structure of the code completely different from what it was. This new system cannot be made as it goes, it needs to be planned first, that's why it takes more time to make than the usual old code.
    I also made the code when i was way less experienced, so it's somewhat normal for it to be a little bad.

How it was:
    -Every single different weapon was coded in one main script that controlled all the weapons and another that controlled the player. This led to having scripts with thousands and thousands of lines of code. This was not practical, not scalable, poorly planned (made as it goes), a pain to debug, test and add new types of weapons and attachments :/
    This was also a problem with weapon scripts, where every weapon code was inside one script. Same problems as before.

How it is going to be:
    - The player will not have specific code to specific weapons, instead it will "control" the weapons by "asking" them what needs to be done (animation wise), everything else is controlled by the weapon.
    Let's say, the weapon tells the player what to do, not the other way around (in most cases).
    The player will only ask the main Generic weapon class for instructions, this means that any class that derives from that class will get that instruction, which is great for scalability and different types of weapons by having specific instructions of that weapon in the specific weapon script and not the players scripts. This framework is also used for attachments.

Anyway, you might be asking what does all this mean?!?
    Well, this means that when the main code is completed, it will be 100 times easier to add new code, new weapons and new attachments without changing any single line of the previous code made and every new weapon and attachment will re-use code.
    This will also enable to have many more options a player can make, by making these weapons / attachments have their own logic.

With all of this, here are new things that will be in the game (not necessarily because of this new system):
    - Attachments can have their own logic, like
    - extending a stock,
    - changing between 2 sights in the same attachment,
    - different types of magazines for the same weapon,
    - turning off/on attachments, like flashlights/lasers, etc,
    - Free Look,
    - Pickup weapons/attachments/gear from the ground (mainly for Battle Royale),
    - Weapons will have specific recoil patterns,
    - and more that i forgot while writing this...

With all of this, you can clearly see that the previous system was NOT appropriate for the game and had to be changed (just like many other systems). I've been making this for awhile, mainly planning it, but i've started to implement it into the game.

Thanks for reading all of this and i'll leave an image as compensation :)
    Thanks for the support :)

-Tiago

$image.jpg

36. Terminator75

Terminator75

Great to hear the update man!.........So in a nutshell, what your saying is we can create weapons like in the picture below -->

$Knife-With-Scope-And-Red-Dot-Sight.jpg

:p heheheh just joking.......but who would say no to a Scoped bayonet ;)
    As allways its a pleasure to see your game develop into a Amazing FPS.......and i really like that fact that you decided to add the ability to pickup weapons/gear from the ground........it will certainly add more diversity to the game which will increase the pace of the game and make it much more realistic. Also the ability to change between 2 sights of a gun is something that I've never seen in a unity Fps before (ok i havent played every unity fps but this is something very rare)...,,.it really adds more flavor to your awesome game...... :)

Best of luck to you good sir, Keep up the good work and PLEASE release the Alpha as soon as possible :D

Last edited: May 7, 2014
  37. eskovas

eskovas

Now using RTP v3 to power the terrain in No Heroes, the terrain will reach new levels of quality. Here are some images using RTP:

$terrain3.jpg

$topterrain.jpg

I also fixed some problems i was having with the weather system, here are some new images:

$environmentGator7.png

$environmentGator5.jpg

$environmentGator6.jpg

38. Terminator75

Terminator75

Wow! Awesome Terrains man!.The game now looks like a AAA title :D.
    One question though, Will the new terrain system decrease Performance?

39. sandboxgod

sandboxgod

Looking pretty good

40. eskovas

eskovas

Thanks.

I don't usually post 2 days in a roll, so i don't over bump the thread, but feel like this will compensate for that :)

Improving the terrain in No Heroes with RTP, here's a comparison image showing the differences between the old and new terrain

$terrain_2_comparison.jpg

The difference is quite astonishing.

41. LightSource

LightSource

Agreed, very nice work. Is it your own or do you have an environment artist?

42. eskovas

eskovas

Thanks, i made it (i'm using real-life textures for the terrain, some came with rtp).
    I'm also the only developer on this game.

EDIT:
    Here's just another comparison, but not as good as the above. This comparison is older than the above, so it's not as good ( but it's still a big improvement )

$terrain_1_comparison.jpg

Last edited: May 11, 2014
  43. Pedro A.

Pedro A.

Hey eskovas, you are the best solo dev! Could you make a video teaching how to do these textures?

44. TheCowMan

TheCowMan

Eskovas, when you say real life textures do you mean you went out yourself and took the pictures and used them? Or are you grabbing the textures from a website?

45. eskovas

eskovas

I get them from CGTextures.com (or some other website) like most of the devs do, but it's only the diffuse texture, so you have to make the normal, specular, height maps.
    I also heard that Quixel is going to make a large library of really good textures and materials to use (1000+ with diffuse, speclar, normal, height maps ), so i might consider using Quixel's MegaScans and Suite in the future.

46. Fenix3D

Fenix3D

This will be a good game! :)

47. vedinislamovic

vedinislamovic

Good progress :)

48. FirePlantGames

FirePlantGames

Hey great game! I know that this is probably not something that you would want to do, but do you think you help me out with destruction events? I feel really bad asking.

49. eskovas

eskovas

Posting some images of the game in it's current stage.
    I worked a bit on the terrain, level design and made some new props during the weekend.
    Also fixed some specular maps on weapons and on some props.

$pic1.jpg

$pic2.jpg

$PIC3.jpg

$PIC4.jpg

$PIC5.jpg

50. Vossy

Vossy

Epic work. I'm also working on a big project like this one. How do you find the motivation to keep going? I know you have developed since 2011 and i can imagine the workload...