Search Unity

Distributing build to external Q/A without credentials

Discussion in 'PSM' started by treygner, Aug 21, 2014.

1. treygner

treygner

Hello,

Currently, to install a build (psdp) on a device we need :
    - The publisher key (kdev.p12)
    - The developper account credentials

We would like to send dev builds to an external Q/A team for testing, but without giving them those informations.
    Is there a way to do that ?

2. treygner

treygner

Any information on this ? Is it possible to make a build for press / journalist and allowing them to test on their on vita ?

Thanks in advance.

3. eriQue

eriQue

Unity Technologies

The way to do this is to create and send the external Q/A team an 'Intermediate' build.
    This requires the Q/A team to have their own publisher account, and using that they can create a .psdp from the intermediate data.

4. treygner

treygner

Thank you for your answer.
    This is quite a complex way to distribute builds. For the Q/A it could be acceptable, but for journalists, it is not (I don't think they are going to take the time to create an account and builds there own package :/) .
    It would be greate to have a way to send them a "test build" that they will be able to install without dev account. (Event if it is on a limited set of devices like on ios)

5. jesusluvsyooh

jesusluvsyooh

The high protection and security is there for a reason, as much as i like free games, if they did allow passing of games freely (even if it is for media or testing) it will bring too many problems, it will spark people creating 'home brews' / 'hacked official games', and then passing them around freely to one another.
    There are those that will use the feature properly and legally, but there are also those that will not.

6. treygner

treygner

As I said in my previous post, they can set a limited number of device / account on which a non master build can be installed.

Moreover, with the method described by eriQue, creating 'home brews' is already possible : the people will need to have a PSM developper account, which is currently free to create.
    So for me this is not a "security", but just a small obstacle that will not stop them, but it will make our life way more difficult from promoting our game :-/

7. PeteD

PeteD

I would hope that they would implement something akin to either Apple's device register or Microsofts device register. Apple's being the more appropriate implementation of the two as it registers a device with the developer account and limits you to 100 devices per year. Abuse is curbed because once you've allocated your 100 for the year you can't allocate or even change the ones registered until a reset is done at years end (account renewal time).
    Like provisioning profiles, test builds will then only run on those registered devices that had the certificate installed.

Of course this would be hell to implement at Sony's end unless they had thought in this way from the beginning.

8. jesusluvsyooh

jesusluvsyooh

Update: Tested with my friend Craig (RoadSkill PSM) that all you need is the intermediate build files, zip them up, send them to friend/reviewer. They click the create psdp file option in PSM Tools, it creates the psdp and puts it onto there Vita. They do need to be a registered PSM developer, as it does that Dev Login check. Otherwise no seeds, no master packages, no unity projects needed. (pics included to help)

Set to Intermediate and Build it in Unity.
    Screen Shot 2014-09-08 at 20.01.48.png
    The Intermediate files look like this. Zip this up and send to them, they then create the psdp file themselves using psm tools automatic feature option. It then puts the file straight onto there Vita, Nothing else needed. :) Hope this helps people!
    Screen Shot 2014-09-08 at 20.03.44.png