Search Unity

Displaying an objects MeshCollider

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by wxxhrt, Dec 21, 2014.

1. wxxhrt

wxxhrt

I have a deformed cube with a non-convex hull. I want to convert the deformed cube so its vertices lie in the same places but it has a convex hull.

I have MeshCollider attached to the deformed cube with Convex set to true and was hoping I could swap out the deformed cube's Mesh with the mesh the MeshCollider uses for collisions- but Im having no luck.

I was hoping the MeshCollider's Mesh was stored in the undocumented MeshCollider.mesh and so tried this:

Code (JavaScript):
    2. var deformedMesh : Mesh = GetComponent(MeshFilter).mesh;
    3. var collider : MeshCollider = GetComponent(MeshCollider);
    4. var colliderMesh : Mesh = GetComponent(MeshCollider).mesh;
    6. collider.convex = true; //set the MeshCollider up
    7. collider.sharedMesh = null; //the deformed mesh gets re-deformed every now and then
    8. collider.sharedMesh = deformedMesh;
    10. deformedMesh = colliderMesh; //replace the cubes mesh with a convex version of itself?
    12. //alsotried
    14. deformedMesh.vertices = colliderMesh.vertices;
    15. deformedMesh.triangles = colliderMesh.triangles;
    16. deformedMesh.normals = colliderMesh.normals;
    But it seems that the MeshColliders Mesh is not stored in MeshCollider.mesh as the above code does nothing- does anyone know of a way of accessing the mesh the MeshCollider uses for collisions?

Thanks

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

The mesh is referenced in the (documented) MeshCollider.sharedMesh. MeshCollider.mesh is the instance; works the same way as Renderer.material and Renderer.sharedMaterial. But assigning colliderMesh to deformedMesh will not make a copy, if that's what you're trying to do; that's just a reference, which makes deformedMesh and colliderMesh point to the same thing.

--Eric

3. wxxhrt

wxxhrt