Search Unity

Display GUI to the side of Scene Object. (EditorExtension)

Discussion in 'Immediate Mode GUI (IMGUI)' started by instruct9r, Nov 18, 2015.

1. instruct9r

instruct9r

Hello.

I am trying to display a GUI, to the side of an object, that is selected.

Everything works pretty well, except that i am having trouble to position the GUI, to be allways at the same side of the object, when i move the Scene Camera.

Example. I need a helpBox to be drawn, below a cube. I am using the CUbe's position and subtract it's size, so the GUI is drawn below the cube. All works well..

GUIBelowCube_01.jpg

The problem comes, when i view the cube, from the Top, which looks like this:
    GUIBelowCube_02.jpg

1: I need the GUI to be allways below the cube.
    2: I need to be able to move the GUI at the left, right, above, etc the cube.

So i was wondering if i can create something like a virtual sphere with a radius of the size of the Selected.gameObject and then attach the GUI, at the side, that i want of the cube. Then i'll make that virtual sphere to allways be oriented to the scene camera... Or this is what comes to my mind at first :)..

Here's the current Code..

Code (CSharp):
    1. void OnSceneGuiTest(SceneView sceneTest)
    2.     {
    3.         Vector3 sceneCamPos = sceneTest.camera.transform.position;    // Get Scene Camera Position
    4.         GameObject[] sels = Selection.gameObjects;    // Get Selected Objects
    6.         if (sels.Length > 0)
    7.         {
    8.             Bounds objBounds = sels[0].GetComponent<MeshRenderer>().bounds;
    10.             Vector3 goPos = new Vector3(sels[0].transform.position.x, sels[0].transform.position.y - objBounds.size.y, sels[0].transform.position.z);
    12.             Rect guiRect = HandleUtility.WorldPointToSizedRect(goPos, new GUIContent(), guiStyle);    // Convert the GameObject's position to screen Size Rect
    13.             guiRect.width = 150;    // Add size to the Rect
    14.             guiRect.height = 100;
    16.             Handles.BeginGUI();
    17.             GUILayout.BeginArea(guiRect);
    18.             {
    19.                 EditorGUILayout.HelpBox("Test Message", MessageType.Error);    // Add helpBox below the SelectedGameObject
    20.             }
    21.             GUILayout.EndArea();
    22.             Handles.EndGUI();
    23.         }
    24.     }

I suppose, that i need to use the sceneCamPos (As current camera position) and add it somewhere, but can't figure out where to use it..

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015