Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Discord - Unity Developer Hub

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alex_TNT, Jul 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Just trolling you bro. There is a bit of rebel spirit in General Discussion. Asking people not to talk about something only encourages it.

Wouldn't be the first time I've signed up for something and forgotten about it. Let's see if I can remember my password.

Martin_H likes this.
  2. QFSW

QFSW

@Alex_TNT, you must be new here. This is perfectly on topic relative to the usual general discussions

passerbycmc, Ryiah, McMayhem and 2 others like this.
  3. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Exactly. It's not like I tried to link here and encouraged people to compare that slack channel with this one.

Ryiah likes this.
  4. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

@Alex_TNT I just want to say that your new Discord group is excellent. I really misinterpreted your intentions. I apologise. Great job in setting up a great resource for all things Unity.

5. Alex_TNT

Alex_TNT

6. Alex_TNT

Alex_TNT

We've reached 307 members
    Here's some stats, GMT+0

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  7. Alex_TNT

Alex_TNT

Now we have 325 members in total.
    Join Link - https://discord.gg/CrMqCYj
    Added more features to the bot :
    - fixed the unity-news posting, there were a problem with rss feeds
    - fixed top 10 info
    - added user !info command

- working on automate verification for unity publisher with email sent to support email provided on their UAS store page
    - working on publisher advertisement package for the bot

- and a lot more tweaks and improvements for the bot and the server​

Were are also looking for new staff members. Here's the announcement

We here at the Unity Developer Hub are looking for a new member or two to join our ranks as Enforcer.

Duties: - Moderate posts and member conduct/spam within the various channels.
    Requirements: - Active in the Chat community - Professional (attitude - though being an actual Professional in an industry that uses Unity would be beneficial as well)

If you think you have the time and dedication, private message one of the ModSquad members and we will take your application into consideration!​

8. Alex_TNT

Alex_TNT

Now we have 346 members in total.

I worked this week on finishing the bot posting every 24h an advertisement for the publisher who joined us.
    They are verified through email on the provided Support E-mail on their publisher page.
    Currently the publisher are verified manually but in the next week the process will be automated.

an example below

9. Alex_TNT

Alex_TNT

393 Members

Right now Publisher verification is automated, If you have a publisher page on Unity Asset Store with a support email provided you just need to execute a command, an email will be sent with a code that you need to verify in chat.
    Being a publisher you can unlock a private publisher chat where you can talk with others, and you can also add one package to the bot list that will advertise it at random each day, on dedicated channel and on twitter.

10. Alex_TNT

Alex_TNT

Working on a new feature, to receive xp on message.
    Here's how the profile cards currently look

11. Alex_TNT

Alex_TNT

12. Alex_TNT

Alex_TNT

I've made an website for Unity Developer Hub where's a short presentation and there's also a global ranking for the server. Link : http://www.tntdroid.xyz/
    Site might not work well on mobile

13. Alex_TNT

Alex_TNT

14. Skuxlife

Skuxlife

Thanks for getting this going

15. Alex_TNT

Alex_TNT

We have reached 1000 members, with activity from 200-350 members at a time per day.

If you would like to join just use this invitation link https://discordapp.com/invite/CrMqCYj

Cheers
    Alex Barbulescu

Almakos and Kronnect like this.
  16. darknubis365

darknubis365

I just joined i'm completely new at this but i'm more use to blender.I have played around in unreal engine and some others trying to get started but honestly unity i've found to have the most useful information and i've still havent found exactly a starting point how i'd like so i could use some help i learn fast and i dont ask others to do work for me only to point me in the right direction of information.

17. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

Start here: https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials. Probably with the Interface & Essentials section.
    Then go to the Live video channel and work from the bottom of the list up.
    Just keep in mind that while all of these are very useful, some are very old and the Unity Editor UI may be different is some areas.

Also Unity 2017.2 has built-in tutorials.

18. darknubis365

darknubis365

Alright i'll check that out.I should have mentioned i was seeking a 3D game project i see most information here is related to 2D topics but i'll definitely look around there too thanks

19. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

People who run discord channels have the responsibility of managing user expectations. If it is not a learning or teaching discord, this should be clearly spelled out in the original post, as Unity attracts users of all capabilities.

If you have a problem with a post on the Unity forums, report the post and otherwise ignore said people as this is the best proven resolution on forums. Thanks!

Ryiah likes this.
  20. Ryiah

Ryiah

For the most part the differences between 2D and 3D in Unity are (a) the camera setting (perspective vs orthographic), (b) sprites instead of meshes, and (c) a different physics engine. Other than that just about everything you learn in a 2D topic will apply to a 3D topic and vice versa so even if the topic isn't directly covering 3D you'll still be able to learn from it.

darknubis365 and Kronnect like this.
  21. Alex_TNT

Alex_TNT

From Initial 5-10 members we've reached almost 5500 members, Thank you for everyone that has joined and got involved in this community.

22. cosperda

cosperda

Just a heads up, this channel is run by a group of children, and i am serious all this guys mods are under 18, except maybe one, why is this an issue ?
    Well you can be very active on this channel, VERY, and a brand new person can come on the channel to start crap, you defend youself, one of these 15 year old mods comes out of the woodwork (hes been playing minecraft all day), and will just start banning / muting people, will not look into whats going on, will not look into anything, so they will very easily trade a helpful member for a guy who is just there to be a troll, in addition there is only 2 people left there now that have any skill at all, the rest are just playing minecraft or writing the same anime 2d game that never gets finished.

If you are a serious programmer, there are other channels out there that you may actually come away from without a bad taste in your mouth.

Ziplock9000 likes this.
  23. Alex_TNT

Alex_TNT

Thank you for your kind words @cosperda, I'm the owner of UDH I'm 30 years old and still play minecraft rarely when I have time, it encourage creativity and interaction with other people.

I see this started to be a hate thread instead of announcement, If you have any complaint just post on Discord #complaints channel.

24. cosperda

cosperda

I am aftertaste man, this is the second time i have had to deal with an exact issue like this, and you sir are not a problem, but you are never there and you allow kids to run your channel.

Tesrym likes this.
  25. Alex_TNT

Alex_TNT

Sorry but I do have to work to provide for my family, can't be online 24/7 and moderate all the chat. That's why I've added the #complaints channel.

26. cosperda

cosperda

Last post about this, just because i notice alot of people here asking questions, mainly about is this just another channel so someone can feel superior to another, and yes it is, i even sent alex here a message saying, look i am not here to troll your thread, so i will just message you instead, but people do not have to come sit on your channel and help others, they simply do not, and if they choose to go out of their way to help others so that your channels feels like the place to go for help, then you should be thankful, and alex wont even answer it, so as always with the people of this group, i try to be polite, i try to be helpful and friendly, and in return they treat you as if you have to be there and have to answer questions to make his channel look good, and btw, i was done posting on this thread, as i said i took it to private message, my goal here was to let others know that their first impression was correct and this channel is not friendly, is not adult or professional in any manner, its just full of people who will punish you for doing the exact same thing they do all day long, just to feel superior, such a shame, would be nice to find a channel with a relaxed atmosphere instead of people just trying to feel as if they are better than others.

27. zoran404

zoran404

@cosperda If you want to get useful information and talk about unity and game dev you'll be better off using unity forum or unity answers.
    Discord channels are more for casual chat.

28. passerbycmc

passerbycmc

29. Ceciphar

Ceciphar

30. thorpeja

thorpeja

Joined!

31. DerrickMoore

DerrickMoore

nice, gonna join right now

32. JFlitz

JFlitz

I got banned for no reason. Your bot is broken and unmuted me. Please let me back in.
    [/let jflitz#5218 in again/

33. JFlitz

JFlitz

And when it unmuted me they fricking banned me. AND I STILL CAN GET IN

34. JFlitz

JFlitz

Nope wait I could for once, but now I cant.

35. Ceciphar

Ceciphar

dude just wait. now you are perma banned.

36. Tesrym

Tesrym

I like to be on servers with mature admins. And this is not one of them.

Karasu416 likes this.
  37. Ceciphar

Ceciphar

yea the rules could be a little looser. mostly in general chat

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  38. Ryiah

Ryiah

Moments like these make glad I don't bother too much with communities beyond the forums... and make me sad that I don't have popcorn within reach. :p

hippocoder likes this.
  39. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.