Search Unity

Discord - Unity Developer Hub

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alex_TNT, Jul 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex_TNT

Alex_TNT

I've just set up a Hub/Server on Discord dedicated to us Unity Users and Publishers
    You can use the link below for an invite.
    And if you have never use discord, you can easily register a username, Discord is an all-in-one voice and text chat for everyone and it's free, secure, and works on both your desktop and phone.

Community hub is new, we'll grow larger in time.
    From Initial 5-10 members we've reached almost 5500 members, Thank you for everyone that has joined and got involved in this community.

What Discord - Unity Developer Hub has to offer.
    - There are different channels. each with it's own topic unity related.
    - Roles that can everyone assign with commands.
    - Publisher role needs to be verified by a staff member or bot.
    - If you receive help from anyone and you want to thank him, you thank and mention him, The user will receive a karma point ( karma points currently don't have any use ) but you can view who has received most karma with a command.
    - NSFW posts and profanity words are not allowed but we do have a NSFW Developer chat
    This is all what we offer for now. More ideas will come in the future and implemented

On top of that Discord offers a dark theme interface, for people who don't like white background-black text. And the voice chat ( that currently has no use for us )

https://discord.gg/CrMqCYj
    Cheers, Alex Barbulescu

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  2. Alex_TNT

Alex_TNT

We've reached a total of 35 members

3. Alex_TNT

Alex_TNT

72 Total members

4. tswalk

tswalk

interesting

5. Alex_TNT

Alex_TNT

Combined chat, Text and voice. Text chat similar to IRC
    Currently 97 Total Members.

Some publishers already started giving away vouchers in chat.

Alex Barbulescu

6. Martin_H

Martin_H

Why are you trying to compete with the "other" chat that already has ~10 times as many users?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    Ziplock9000 likes this.
  7. Alex_TNT

Alex_TNT

This is a discord server not a slack one. Please refrain to post unrelated to topic. No one is competing with anyone, we are not copying other server, everyone is free to choose where they want to stay or not.

Alex Barbulescu

k1 likes this.
  8. Martin_H

Martin_H

I don't really use the "other" one and I'm sure discord is great and all. It's on my list of things to try some time as a skype alternative. But sadly I am unable to see the point of having more than one "big chat" outside of the forum community and you are doing a terrible job of highlighting why discord would be any better than, or useful in addition to, the one with the established userbase. I consider myself to be 100% on topic, by asking you what the point of rallying people for your chat is. So far you haven't provided one except "it supports voice chat", which I don't care for. I've removed all my references to what the "other" chat is, I hope that sufficiently demonstrates that I don't have a stake in this race and I'm not trying to advertise the "other" one.

Ziplock9000, McMayhem and neginfinity like this.
  9. Alex_TNT

Alex_TNT

Personally I don't like the slack application. What we are trying to do is to make community where people can help each other. There are different channels with different topics, roles that can be assigned by each individual, people started exchanging vouchers - I'll be coding the bot next days a more intriguing way to handle that, and more things will follow when we increase our size, also everyone can pitch in ideas for the server.

I can't compare it to slack on what it has and what it hasn't since I didn't use it that much and I don't want look like a competition between apps/ between people.

Martin_H likes this.
  10. Dave-Carlile

Dave-Carlile

Haha! I was thinking "wh... why was Slack swear-filtered away? Is that some new foreign swear word I don't know about?"

11. Martin_H

Martin_H

Yeah, should have changed that one to "other" as well, I did so now. Fvcking swear filters, confusing people when you just want to write some bloody ***** (What are they even called? Wildcards?)

Dave-Carlile likes this.
  12. Alex_TNT

Alex_TNT

13. Alex_TNT

Alex_TNT

161 members, and we currently found someone who can help us code the server bot, more features will be available in the future. https://discord.gg/CrMqCYj

14. Alex_TNT

Alex_TNT

181 Members and 55 Currently online

15. Denchyaknow

Denchyaknow

LOVE THE UNITY DEV HUB WOO!!!

16. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

Ziplock9000 likes this.
  17. Alex_TNT

Alex_TNT

@TokyoDan please keep it topic related. And do you know that you're advertising a different group gamedevleague with a forum on it own, that has a channel dedicated for unity and unreal engine.

Everyone please try to understand, we are trying to make a dedicated place for us, unity publishers and unity users on discord.
    not on IRC, not on slack, with home here on unity3d.com/forum.unity3d.com

18. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

@Alex_TNT Who's advertising and what's not on topic? That other Discord gamedev/Unity group is not my group. I just thought that this new group was started because maybe you didn't know that there was already a Unity group on Discord. It was simply to let you know so as not to be redundant.

Ziplock9000 and Ostwind like this.
  19. neginfinity

neginfinity

Who are "we" in your statement?
    -----
    I think you're doing disservice to your own channel by repeatedly asking to stay on topic. It is a general forum, sidetracked discussion now and then is normal, if anyone goes too far, moderators can deal with that.

Kiwasi likes this.
  20. Alex_TNT

Alex_TNT

@TokyoDan your intentions were misconfused. I've also shared the link on reddit and people were staring to bash me because there's already gamedevleague and slack ( also a post above as example in this context ). Same way it could be said about why people make games or game engine simple answer, diversity. Everyone is free to choose what they like. I'm only providing a location and let people know about us.

@neginfinity We as in we who manage Unity Developer Hub. You think it's fair to keep this thread diluted with other topics, why not use x or why not use z, when I'm dedicating resources and time to bring this community closer on discord, to help narrowing the gap between a publishers and users.
    You might also look at 1f. in http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/unity-developer-network-rules.151486/
    The advise to keep it topic related was not an aggressive one, everyone is free to do as they please, but I don't want this thread to diverge.

Thank you both for your time.

21. neginfinity

neginfinity

How many people is that?

Dedicating time and resources to any task was your choice, so I'm not sure what you're trying to say here.

What I'd like to know is what your community can offer, compared to this community, to slack community and to any other community currently available online. One way to get this information is to compare, which is sorta hard to do when any mention of alternative is shut down with "keep things on topic".

Based on information in this thread I can tell that "it is not slack", "it has voice and text", "we're writing a server bot", and "some people exchanged vouchers".

Is there anything else?

22. Alex_TNT

Alex_TNT

@neginfinity Currently 3
    This thread was not meant to compare us with anything else, stop forcing that.
    Anyone can join if they like/want. Don't want don't join. Simple.

23. passerbycmc

passerbycmc

so how are you supposed to sell people on this new thing, if you are thinking comparisons to its competition are unfair, and people drawing conclusions you don't like to be off topic?

Most of those fighting you on this want the same thing, which is community to chat with other devs in they just see no point in causing a schism in the community and creating multiple splinter groups as the best way of doing so.

24. Alex_TNT

Alex_TNT

@passerbycmc Everyone can check on their own, Discord doesn't require at account creation or application download in order to join. Chatting on server does require an account.

I didn't see so much hate `creating multiple splinter groups` when the slack group was created when there was already an IRC unity3d on freenode. The problem was before this.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  25. neginfinity

neginfinity

To be honest, I was interested before all the "please keep on topic"/"please don't mention anyone else"/etc posts.

Oh well, whatever.

Martin_H likes this.
  26. Alex_TNT

Alex_TNT

@neginfinity It's more about the harmful talk rather than the mentioning slack or gamedevleague I have no problem with that. But when people start to attack the work you're trying to do and disgrace it that's what I don't like. Hope everyone understands that.
    Anyway thank you for your time posting your thoughts here. And have a great day in general.

27. LaneFox

LaneFox

Discord is basically slack with voice. That's pretty much it. If you want that, then there it is, if not just move along.

28. Alex_TNT

Alex_TNT

Currently there's discord network issue https://status.discordapp.com/

Investigating - We're investigating messages failing to send or load.
    Aug 12, 08:54 PDT

29. Ryiah

Ryiah

Slack technically supports voice but the free tier only supports two person calls.

30. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

Sorry, but my impressions of this new Unity group on Slack are the efforts of some lonely geek who wants to create a little fiefdom of his own that he can lord over and get a powerful feeling from. Like a lot of forums run by chip-on-their-shoulder nerd control freaks who are just waiting for someone to step outside the boundaries so that they can ban them.

And besides. I don't like discussing things on Discord, Slack, etc. because they are only good for chit chat. Technical discussions are better on forums because there is a history, and you can search for stuff. On Discord and Slack the same questions get asked over and over and have to be answered over and over, or just scroll away ...a great loss of knowledge, time and effort.

31. Ryiah

Ryiah

I think you meant Discord. ;)

TokyoDan likes this.
  32. neginfinity

neginfinity

This actually perfectly describes the vibe I was getting from this thread.

I mean, it would be nice to have one more place to hang out, exchange ideas, chat, etc. However, when things are immediately shut down with "no offtopic" message, this is a big warning flag indicating that most likely this won't be a place for information/idea exchange.

Strict adamant adherence to some arbitrary rules gets old at some point, and eventually you get sick dealing with those kind of things. It is more fun to talk/discuss things with people when they aren't hell-bent on "protecting the honor of paragraph 137 point 5 . B no matter the cost" or some other nonsense like this.

In my experience relaxed friendly human attitude + willingness to share information/knowledge works better.

Either way, I think I'm outta here. I wish the OP luck with the fiefdom.

33. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

Yep. you are right. I meant Discord. But Slack and Discord occupy the same nitch in my mind.

34. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

I disagree. Hippo is generally a nice bloke.

Carwashh, derf, Kiwasi and 1 other person like this.
  35. Ryiah

Ryiah

He's not referring to this community though. He's referring to more drama-filled communities.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
  36. Alex_TNT

Alex_TNT

@TokyoDan - I don't consider myself a lonely geek but thank's for your concern towards me.
    @neginfinity - `no offtopic` was meant for reply's like this by `Martin_H : Why are you trying to compete with the *** chat that already has ~10 times as many users?`.
    And `gamedevleague`, this another discord server that has a unity channel and it's own forum. I already said this but somehow it's omitted in discussion.

37. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

I'm sure he is (Who is Hippo?) Any way I was commenting on the handling of posts here concerning the new Unity Discord channel.

38. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

Well. I am glad I am wrong then.

39. Player7

Player7

hahaha

its like the joke just slipped right past you :rolleyes::D:)

40. Martin_H

Martin_H

Don't put words into my mouth that I didn't write. I don't know the gamedevleague chat and that statement above might be factually incorrect. I originally asked what you can offer over the Slack chat (you know, the one that you went to, to advertise your discord chat) and only removed the reference to that specific chat to demonstrate I've not come here to advertise one over the other. I was genuinely confused why someone would start a second big chat.

But maybe this is just what we need. If a chat gets too big and active it starts to get too hard to follow anyway. Also the way you market the whole thing I'd imagine the two chats attract slightly different personalities and might make their respective userbases more homogenous and thus potentially more peaceful.

Care to explain, because it slipped past me too?

41. Ryiah

Ryiah

I blame my mind being too focused on a certain AAA title crashing every time I tried to load it after months of hype. :p

Wait. You were referring to the moderators without actually knowing anything about them? :eek:

Kiwasi and Martin_H like this.
  42. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

I thought Hippo may have been the OP's nickname but was not sure. I didn't think it was a moderator. But I am completely confused now.

43. Alex_TNT

Alex_TNT

@Martin_H Yes sorry you are right, I apologize. I got confused with other thread or reddit post where people were saying the same thing but mentioning GDL. I edited the post to not cause further confusion.
    @TokyoDan http://forum.unity3d.com/members/hippocoder.17948/

Now I have time to reply on what Discord - Unity Developer Hub has to offer.
    - There are different channels. each with it's own topic unity related.
    - Roles that can everyone assign with commands.
    - There's a unity-news channel where 24h Sales are announced everyday by the bot. ( blog news and Every-Day-Packages a new feature that I'll add for publishers to add it's own package that will roll random once a day)
    - Publisher role needs to be verified by a staff member.
    - If you receive help from anyone and you want to thank him, you thank and mention him, The user will receive a karma point ( karma points currently don't have any use ) but you can view who has received most karma with a command.
    - NSFW posts and profanity words are not allowed and if anyone uses any word receives a profanity point, profanity points are substracted from karma.
    This is all what we offer for now. More ideas will come in the future and implemented

On top of that Discord offers a dark theme interface, for people who don't like white background-black text. And the voice chat ( that currently has no use for us )

Alex Barbulescu

Martin_H likes this.
  44. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

I was just trying to be funny. :(

Kiwasi and Ryiah like this.
  45. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

I thought you were funny.

But the fact that I'm reading this thread indicates the forums seem to be rather slow at the moment. Maybe it is worth trying to cause some havoc on slack/discord/Facebook/bebo/WhateverThisThreadIsAbout.

;)

46. Ryiah

Ryiah

Feel free to liven things up on Slack. :p

47. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Link :p?

48. Ryiah

Ryiah

49. Alex_TNT

Alex_TNT

Can you please talk on a slack related thread not post it here? Thanks

50. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Relax. The thread topic is announcing a communication channel for developers using unity. Sharing alternate/existing channels is perfectly fine. It would be off topic if the discussion shifted to something only related to one of those, and not comparative to the one mentioned in the op.

Carry on.

Antypodish, s3gf4vlt and Martin_H like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.