Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Directional lightmaps cannot be decoded on SM2.0 hardware nor when using GLES2.0

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by benzuk, Dec 16, 2015.

1. benzuk

benzuk

Any idea?

2. Giometric

Giometric

Sounds pretty straightforward to me. Directional Lightmaps won't work on SM 2.0 hardware (very old graphic cards), or GLES 2.0 (mobile devices). If you're not targeting those, you shouldn't have any issue.

Though I'm not sure what exactly happens if you do run the game on something like that. My guess is either pink everywhere from unsupported shaders, or (preferably) you just get no lightmaps at all.

3. benzuk

benzuk

I have good graphics card (Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 and latest updates) and also computer.

Actually I'm trying to make Lightmapping but after "Build", the scene looks bad. Exactly what you said about lightmaps.

4. Giometric

Giometric

The warning isn't necessarily trying to tell you about the machine you're on, it's just warning you that when you distribute the game to people, some of them may have hardware that doesn't support the features you're using. On a GTX 750 I imagine you won't have any issues with directional lightmaps.

As for the scene looking bad, it could be for any number of reasons; can you post screenshots?

5. tripknotix

tripknotix

I forgot to post a bug, but they do not actually fall back on my device, Tmobile G2 (by htc), 512mb of ram, android 2.3.4, 800mhz cpu.

On my pc it fallbacks perfectly, on mobile it does not show the lightmap at all.

6. Giometric

Giometric

It looks like you've got unlit (or very bright) materials on your objects; the baked GI isn't gonna do much except make everything brighter in those cases. It does seem to be working though, I can see a little bit of AO around the edges of the hemisphere objects.

7. Justice0Juic3

Justice0Juic3

Now let's bring up this ol' topic.

As you can see, the problem still remains (In this case I'm using Unity 5.4.0b16).
    The following warnings also appear in the 5.3 versions.
    It bugs me that I can't achieve good looking results as I did in the old days. :(

Just look at it, even the emissive materials don't appear correctly.

Mainly because of the following issue?
    :oops:

8. tripknotix

tripknotix

yes i would still like this to be fixed, it says they will fallback to Non-directional, but it does not, it simply doesnt show any lightmaps at all on my device. on pc it fallsback correctly. would be great if this could be fixed. so high end devices could get the lightmap

Justice0Juic3 likes this.
  9. Justice0Juic3

Justice0Juic3

Sure. When all is set to Lightmap static I still keep getting no rendered shadows or any other result as expected.
    Hopefully they will fix this as soon as possible.

10. ambroisecorentin

ambroisecorentin

you need to add a bloom to your camera to see the effect of the HDR ( and you't can't see the effect in the scene view ) only with a camera.
    hope it helped

11. Justice0Juic3

Justice0Juic3

Too bad it stays the same inside the Game-view and at the Built of the game. It's just weird and will be very annoying in the future.

12. GamerOrigineel

GamerOrigineel

Rest in peace Unity Lightmaps 2005 - 2013

13. tripknotix

tripknotix

well honestly, most new devices should be able to do directional lightmaps, even low end cheap new phones, its still a lightmap, faster than real time lights.

is this bug reported?

benzuk likes this.
  14. benzuk

benzuk

Of course, from 16/12/2015.
    Case: #754798.

15. Purpleshine84

Purpleshine84

I have the same problem, using Unity 5.4. I am building NOT for a mobile game but for Desktop and I don't have an old graphics card! What could be the problem??? Nothing (except for enviroment lighting) is working in the lighting window!

16. Elledan3101

Elledan3101

hello there. I have same problem.
    Unity 5.4.2p.4 and Asus GTX960