Search Unity

Direction calculation of camera

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by gudula, Oct 9, 2015.

1. gudula

gudula

Vector3 fwd = highlighted.transform.TransformDirection(Vector3.forward);

How do you change this if you camera angle changes also. How do I make forward follow the camera?

2. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Why not just use transform.forward?

3. gudula

gudula

at the moment Im using back for the angle Im on. I want to calculate which angle my camera is so I can move something towards it. What is it towards camera?

4. hpjohn

hpjohn

Camera forward you can just use camera.transform.forward
    From object to camera is camera.transform.position - object.transform.position (then normalize if needed)

5. gudula

gudula

I would like to calculate the direction to the camera and the direction away from camera.
    Vector3 fwd = highlighted.transform.TransformDirection(camera.transform.position);
    This can work to get towards camera but what is wrong with
    camera.transform.back?

6. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Time for a picture. I have no idea what you are talking about.

As a general rule vector math always starts with a picture. I keep a pad right next to my computer for just that reason.

7. gudula

gudula

Ok imagine you got 4 objects infront of you. You select the one in the middle and then you use your left arrow key to move the highlighted selected object to highlight the object left of the selected object with Vector3.left
    Now imagine I fly around to the other side of the screen and look at objects on the other side of it. How do I automatically adjust Vector3.left to go left instead of right?
    What is the routine here? You created Vector up,left,down,forward and all that but it is not tied to the camera or is it?

8. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

My imagination sucks. You got paint handy?

9. gudula

gudula

I got a 3d puzzle that Im trying to switch peices with arrow keys but it works on default camera view. I dunno what todo with vector3.down and left and that when I switch to the other sides. Default view is ok. You can go vector3.left and it goes left but on the other side it goes right.