Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Digital Paint - Free Mesh Painting In Unity - DOWNLOAD

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Digital, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Dreamcube017

Dreamcube017

Sooo... is this in the asset store because I could REEEEAALLLYYY use it right now.

2. blubeetle

blubeetle

Definitely want it! Been ransacking the universe just for such a tool to be used with Unity.
    Hope it will not be too expensive, though. Or better yet, provide option for a free version! :)

3. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

Yes I join the above. Very excited for this coming to the asset store!!!

4. login4donald

login4donald

Dude...this is F***ing awesome, I suck at textureing my 3d models, this couls change S*** 0-0 Sorry for my language but this is the best thing EVER, even better than love lol xD maybe but it's like the best thing since 3d modeling itself :3 this is probably worth $1000 x0 but ask the people here and choose a price within a prace :) oh and if you do choose to sell it....please, please, please, please, PLEASE include a free version or at least a demo +_+ Cuz this is...WOW

5. blubeetle

blubeetle

One more thing, if I may, pleasepleaseplease, provide a simple and coherent tutorial(s) accompanying the application! This is just as important as the application itself, IMHO.

6. Wolfos

Wolfos

So does this actually paint materials or does it paint textures?

7. Dreamcube017

Dreamcube017

I think it's textures but you can use bump textures or whatever.

However, if you look at the post before mine, that was bak in September... soo I don't really know what's going on.

8. login4donald

login4donald

You can paint textures and the whole thing can be saved as a material, you can also edit an existing material.

9. MSFX

MSFX

this will be amazing, looking very forward to it being released =)

10. Wolfos

Wolfos

Now that's very nice, multi material would be bad for performance. Hope you'll make a beta or something soon, it's a massive pain to texture some things.

11. U7Games

U7Games

Where to buy it? Im interested

12. order66

order66

Will it be available some time? I would love to buy it :D Could really use this feature!

13. Digital

Digital

Sorry, its been a long time. There are few mesh painters out there, even free, why would you buy this one? I didn't have time to finish what I have started but maybe I could create a lite version of Digital Paint. Lite version limitations would be painting only on a diffuse map.

14. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

I would buy this one because it's the most awesome and for sure you will support wacom pressure and then it will be perfect!

15. Salim

Salim

I would also pay for it! Even with a lite version, I think this tool would be incredibly useful for artists. A good example I can think of is that you can't make a cave with the unity terrain system; but with your tool, you could make a mesh in a 3d application and then paint it like a terrain.

I really hope you continue working on it and let us know where it's going :)

16. Sean Hall

Sean Hall

Great Asset. This will be a huge hit once it hits the store.

17. U7Games

U7Games

Digital, i was looking a free mesh painter and didn´t found anything.. (or may i´m wrong?).. you could sell your product in a lower price is a good choice..

18. Digital

Digital

Digital Paint Lite v1.0

Whole scene was painted with lite version.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  19. Wolfos

Wolfos

So... Have you uploaded it yet?

20. Digital

Digital

I'm creating videos and documentation.

21. Digital

Digital

22. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

Wow Digital! very promising tool...seems very powerful!

23. thommoboy

thommoboy

cannot wait this will help me out with my borderlands android project ;)

24. Digital

Digital

Thank you.

25. Digital

Digital

There are few more features that I'm planing to add to Digital Paint Lite v1.1. New main feature will be texture offset so you can match textures like bricks and undo feature so there would be no need to paint over.

26. thommoboy

thommoboy

release please ;) i really need this

27. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

Hi Digital..."Normal map edit" is planned in a future update? (as in your initial plans) With this added could become perfect! I can't wait to see it in asset store.
    I did see all videos ...wow!
    Max

28. Digital

Digital

Lite version is painting only on a diffuse map and its perfect for mobile games. I use it for my current project. There is going to be a Pro version of this tool that will paint on all supported Unity maps. As soon as I add texture offset and undo features to the Lite version I'll start upgrading it to Pro.

29. Digital

Digital

30. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

did you plan to put it in asset store?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  31. thommoboy

thommoboy

I thought this was going to be a free lite version

32. Digital

Digital

No, Lite version will become thru time Pro version depending on interest. I started this project more then a year ago and after many testing I've came up with this(see image). This is a full working standalone painting application with all the features. Then my idea was to make all this features available in editor, then I started rewriting the code to make it as simple as possible to use. In the meantime I have started working on two games so Digital Paint was on hold. Months later people are asking for the tool, how it would be great to use it and things like that. This is how Digital Paint Lite was created, I can't call it Full or Pro version because its not. Now eventually you will get Full or Pro version out of Lite version, as I rewrite the code I'll be adding new features to the Lite version and update it.
    This means that if you buy Lite version you will get Full version too.

33. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

If it were in asset store I could buy it immediately

34. Digital

Digital

I don't have anything on the asset store, I know it's more buyer friendly and I would love to sell my assets on the asset store. How complicated is to sell your assets on the asset store without PayPal?

35. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

I think that there is no complication with payment method that you choose!
    here a nice guide.
    Max

36. Digital

Digital

Thank you.

37. Digital

Digital

New feature: Texture Offset

This feature is used for matching textures like bricks or some other tiled textures.

Texture Offset Video

38. mk1978

mk1978

39. Digital

Digital

You can't use it for Unity Terrain and I don't know about T4M.

40. Wolfos

Wolfos

So is it on the asset store yet? Those other sites have confusing licensing.

41. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

I expressed my interest on Digital Paint because is the only painting system for Unity that has as result a simple texture file. (something like Deep Paint, zbrush, bodypaint..etc)
    The alternative splat map painters and vector color painters have need a specific shader to see the result and have a limited number of textures utilizable(but less limitation in surface extension)
    Each painting system has a specific field of applications where gives his best.
    I think that Digital painter could be very usefull to paint relative small mesh objects like buildings, cars and various props. ( and also small mesh terrain parts).

Regards T4M ..it is a great alternative at the unity terrain painting system (texture, tree, grass) but specific for mesh terrain objects. T4M terrains (converted from unity terrains for ex.) are simple mesh gameobjects ...then paintable with Digital Paint.

Max

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  42. Digital

Digital

New Feature: Undo - Redo

This is a custom undo feature and because it uses memory based on maps number there are only two undo levels. I think that two levels are more then enough. Its just in case you make some mistake.

Undo - Redo Video

43. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

nice, very useful!
    I'm ready to buy it ... asset store please!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  44. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

Looks awesome! Keep us updated!

45. zipper

zipper

If this was on the Asset store, i would buy it right now.

The asset store would alert me to updates to the program as well ( a nice convenience).

Best,
    zipper

46. zipper

zipper

Bah i couldn't wait :) This is exactly what i need for my current project. Well worth the price for the current set of features, as they are not available in any other simple form like this.

Suggestions:
    1. It would be nice to see a preview of the brush on the mesh. Currently, i kinda have to guess what the outcome will be with any given brush size. I would rate this as urgent, almost a bug.

2. It would be nice to have a feature to turn OFF automatic wrapping on texture painting. Especially useful for getting in those details on the edge of the texture.

3. Having color effect the texture that is being painted with would also be nice. So -> select a texture, select a color for the texture, and paint. Very useful for hand painted shadows, fake ambient occlusion, etc..

Look forward to you building this into Pro!

Best
    zipper

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  47. sefou

sefou

+1

NB: just buying this plug . HAPPY :)

48. Jodash

Jodash

49. Digital

Digital

Thank you for your suggestion.

1. I could create a brush size preview just like when you paint terrain, creating real texture preview would affect your performance and drastically slowdown your work, its because all maps must be painted twice.
    2. That is a great idea, check.
    3. Original version has that feature, just need to rewrite the code.

50. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

+1 ;):)