Search Unity

Difficulty Selecting Items in Unity 5.2

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by adamgryu, Oct 14, 2015.

1. adamgryu

adamgryu

Hey people of the forums! Can someone help explain what's going on here?

Ever since I updated to Unity 5.2 (I think? It's been a while and I'm now on 5.2.1p3), I've had difficulty selecting items in the Scene View. It seems like when I try to click on an object, it selects the object that is furthest from the camera. If I continue clicking it eventually selects the one in the front. I can work around this, but it's really annoying.

Is this expected behavior or a bug? Is something not configured properly?

2. ArachnidAnimal

ArachnidAnimal

They are fixing it in next release. I think if you turn of AA in the quality settings it should work for now.

3. Gametyme

Gametyme

I couldn't select anything in the scene view on mac with p3. Installed p4 and all was back to normal.

4. adamgryu

adamgryu

Turning off AA hasn't worked for me unfortunately.

I'll try installing p4 soon, but my problem might be a little different, and I'm also on Windows.

5. adamgryu

adamgryu

Finally got around to installing p4. It's fixed! (I think so far anyway)

6. adamgryu

adamgryu

Ahh, spoke too soon. It seems better (selects things just behind the object sometimes now, instead of the furthest thing) but it's still present. Is noone else seeing this problem?

7. Shushustorm

Shushustorm

I have had the same issue in one of the latest releases. I updated to the most current version yesterday and it seems to be solved. I'm not positive, though, because if I remember correctly, the initial problem was sporadic.

holliebuckets likes this.
  8. adamgryu

adamgryu

Good to know I'm not the only one! Yeah the problem was indeed sporadic. I'm a little tired of installing a new patch each week in hopes that the bugs get fixed (since 5.2 there's been a parade of tiny annoying bugs that have been slowly disappearing each week, this one is the last one!). I'll try installing the new version (5.2.2 I believe?) soon, but let me know if the problem comes back!

Shushustorm likes this.
  9. holliebuckets

holliebuckets

Hi folks! I've been keeping tabs on this issue. Please let me know if you run into it again :) thank you!!

Shushustorm and karl_jones like this.
  10. adamgryu

adamgryu

I updated to 5.2.2, and the problem is still persisting. This seems really bizarre. Is no-one else having this problem? I can work around it, but it's very annoying at times.
    click.gif

EDIT: I tested a different unity project of mine, and the problem didn't seem to be occurring in that project. Any ideas to what this might be? Thanks!

Shushustorm and ArachnidAnimal like this.
  11. adamgryu

adamgryu

Any new information on this issue? I was looking up the fixes on the new patch releases, but I don't see anything relating to this issue. I'm on Windows, and changing the anti-aliasing doesn't seem to make a difference.

12. Shushustorm

Shushustorm

After using 5.2.2 for a while now, I am pretty sure I have still had this issue at some points.
    However, it doesn't seem to occur quite as often as before.
    I don't exactly keep a check list, though.
    Also, if this information is useful: I am on Mac OS.

13. densy07

densy07

I have the issue too. 5.2.2, mac version.

14. ArachnidAnimal

ArachnidAnimal

I also have the issue in 5.2.2. Before the patch, the item couldn't be selected at all in scene view. Now, I can select the item, but only after cycling through about 5 other items until I get the correct mesh selected. It does not happen for all items, just random meshes so it's hard to reproduce the problem. I have tried re-positioning the camera, zooming in and out, nothing seems to help

15. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

Had anyone reported a bug one this with a repro project? If so, post the number so I can take a look.

Shushustorm likes this.
  16. Shushustorm

Shushustorm

Unfortunately, I cannot provide a repro project because I have no idea in which projects it showed up.
    Also, for me, it's not occurring much often anymore.
    Has someone experienced this with 5.3? I haven't updated so far.

17. holliebuckets

holliebuckets

18. Wiliz

Wiliz

These issues are taking so long to fix. Ever since 5.2 we've had varying Scene View selection issues where either clicking on the object didn't work at all and you had to drag around the object to select it, or Unity randomly freezes for a few seconds or more when clicking on something.

The former of these issues seemed to be installation-specific rather than project-specific and we managed to get rid of it by doing full reinstalls of Unity where we wiped all settings and everything. However, the freezing issue still remains on some of our machines and we are unable to fix it. Closing and reopening the scene view sometimes helps for a while but the issue comes back. During the freeze the CPU usage of one core goes to 100% for the duration of the freeze.

Needless to say our level designer is completely losing his mind having to work with these issues for two months.

19. ikkuvaljo

ikkuvaljo

The issue tracker says fixed in 5.3.1 but the problem persists. Is this really fixed?

Here, with 5.3.1p1 I can still reproduce the problem and it's getting really annoying to work with.
    Selection of one item took over two seconds here, and on worst cases it can take up to 30 seconds to select one item. Selecting items by dragging a box around them works perfectly --- Click-selecting does not.

Note the number of method calls: MeshRenderer.Render -- over 80.000 and Material.SetPassFast -- over 160.000 calls. Also the memory usage of unity skyrockets when this happens. It has gone up to over 40GB on some extreme cases.

20. adamgryu

adamgryu

I haven't upgraded to Unity 5.3 yet (one of our teammates uses it and there's some issues with it), but I am also getting this error:

GetAllOverlapping failed, could not ignore game object 'Grass (21)' when picking
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

Is this related the problem? Every now and then I realize how much time I'm wasting clicking through things over and over...

21. reallybadgame

reallybadgame

I have just upgraded to 5.3.4f1, and I am still having this problem. I have floor quads that sit beneath various objects in the field of play. At seemingly random times when I click on a spot in the Scene View that is clearly inside the bounds of a non-floor object, it will select the floor quad beneath it instead. I've tried putting the floor quads on the IgnoreRaycast layer. No difference. Most of the non-floor objects have full size colliders on them but some don't, so I don't think that is playing a role. It's a very frustrating problem because I pretty much have to drag a box around the object and hope that it is the only one that gets selected in the group.

22. adamgryu

adamgryu

Yeah, I'm also on 5.3.4f1, and I still continue to have this problem. It's a huge pain, but I've managed to build workflows around it by writing some extra editing tools. It would still be much better if it just worked though! I found that the problem is much worse when in Orthographic mode in the editor. In Perspective, it still happens but only rarely. Sometimes when I'm having trouble clicking on something, I switch into Perspective, click it, then move back to Orthographic, where I feel more comfortable designing levels.

23. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

I dont know why this issue still never got fixed.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016