Search Unity

Device Permissions?

Discussion in 'Unity Ads & User Acquisition' started by KaliumG, Oct 27, 2014.

1. KaliumG

KaliumG

I've recently published my first game using Unity Ads, and the immediate feedback I got was that the game is requesting access to call information, and pictures and other media. Is this normal? And if it is, is there any way to taper down the permissions needed by Unity Ads?

2. HeikkiTunkelo

HeikkiTunkelo

Unity Technologies

Hi Kalium,

These are the permissions UnityAds needs:

<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE" />
    <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.INTERNET" />
    <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" />

I think those permissions are pretty self-evident; Internet connection is required to contact our ad-servers, and external storage is used to pre-cache any ads in the background.

Call information? Could you send a screenshot or point to your game in Google Play store, so we could check.

Cheers,
    Heikki

3. KaliumG

KaliumG

4. HeikkiTunkelo

HeikkiTunkelo

Unity Technologies

Thanks,

The first one is about the External device access.

We'll check the second one (as that looks a bit scary to people downloading), but we definitely are not doing anything with phone numbers or call information.

Device Id's we read&use, but only relevant id's that we need for advertisement tracking purposes.

We'll need to dig a bit deeper as this hasn't come up before.

Thanks for reporting!

Cheers,
    Heikki

unity-nikkolai likes this.
  5. RC-1290

RC-1290

I guess Google now bundles the permission for Call information with the permission for getting those Device ID's you use.

Perhaps alternative sources of a unique ID might be useful. ANDROID_ID perhaps?

6. HeikkiTunkelo

HeikkiTunkelo

Unity Technologies

We found out the reason: We are reading the devices unique identifier for event hashing using a built in Unity function. This function accesses all kinds of information about the device in the background.

For the hashing purposes we don't really need the device identifier but a unique identifier. The change has already been made and tested, and we'll push the change out in the next Asset Store release (this week).

Cheers,
    Heikki

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014