Search Unity

Demon's Rise - Tactical, Turn-based RPG on iOS

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Rajmahal, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

Hi guys,

Just wanted to give you all a heads up that Demon's Rise has launched on the iOS App Store! It's a turn-based RPG with tactical elements such as the use of cover, fog-of-war, morale that are found in games like XCOM. You can find the game's product page here:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/demons-rise/id951205464?ls=1&mt=8

Here's some media along with highlights:

Screen Shot 2015-08-20 at 11.07.21 AM by Rajpreet Dhillon, on Flickr

Screen Shot iPad by Rajpreet Dhillon, on Flickr

iPhone Screenshot 1 by Rajpreet Dhillon, on Flickr

Game Description:

Demon's Rise is a tactical, turn-based RPG that places an emphasis on both traditional RPG mechanics such as character levelling and equipment / loot and tactical considerations such as the use of cover, line of sight, area of effect of attacks and morale of combatants. Set in a dark fantasy setting, players are tasked with forming a mercenary party and fighting as scouts on the side of a Dwarf army trying to retake an ancient, underground city. An RPG designed from the ground up for quick mobile play, gameplay is divided into battle levels / encounters that are meant to be played within 10 to 20 minute sessions. Tactics and strategy are in no way watered down, however, as the underlying turn-based combat and morale system is highly developed and rewards intelligent, tactical play.

• The action is displayed in lush 3D graphics with advanced effects such as bloom, light mapping and dynamic lighting. Heavily optimized so that it still runs smoothly on mobile devices.
    • Full camera controls designed for touch screens. Pinch to zoom in, use two fingers to rotate the camera freely and one finger to pan around the battlefield. Zoom in to see highly detailed character models or zoom out to see the entire battlefield to plan your next move.
    • A gruelling campaign set across 67 levels, with more levels planned as free DLC. The story is written to be immersive in its realism, with players fighting as mercenaries for an army and taking part in scouting missions, daring rescues, assassinations and large scale battles
    • Combat depends not on simply having powerful characters but also on how you use them. Battlefields are littered with cover positions, traps, collectable items and points of magical power. Having your heroes use these to their advantage is every bit as important as equipping them with a powerful weapon or choosing the right spell during a battle.
    • A realistic morale system where a player's characters and their enemies may panic if they are close to death, see enemy reinforcements arrive, are cut off from friends, surrounded by enemies or see an ally fall. Some might cower when their morale becomes broken while other characters may enter a berserker fury in such a situation and fight harder. Brave or intimidating fighters can boost the courage of nearby allies so fighting in tight formations can be key to keeping up morale.
    You can find more info on the game's product page as well as daily news updates on upcoming features in the first content update.

http://www.wavelightgames.com/demon-s-rise.html

2. 3dFoin

3dFoin

TOTALLY AWESOME Raj XD XD XD I'll buy and try it out also tell my friends :D, the game sounds really interesting and looks superb it's so huge you did that alone? thats pretty darn impressive! :D Congratulations!!! XD XD So glad that our models are used in your game XD XD YAYYYYYYYY

3. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

Thanks 3dfoin. I really appreciate the kind words.

Basically done by myself with assets from the store. The rest of my team do the other stuff but unity stuff is basically me.

I'm going to add more levels and characters to the game so will be adding more of your guys in there. Loved the zombie you just released ... he'll be in the game soon!

3dFoin likes this.
  4. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Lovely lovely job here. Looks awesome!

Big congratulation to you.

Rajmahal likes this.
  5. mr_Necturus

mr_Necturus

Looks very nice and profesional.
    Good work Raj!

6. Yippie

Yippie

Really cool, oh this make me miss those Fantasy Tactic games so much, old good time :)

7. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

Thanks for the kind words, guys.

Pushed out a patch today that had some critical bug fixes as well as some enhancements, including the new Dwarf Dragon Hunter character class. here's the change log:

- Bug Fix: Fixed issue in Final level of Day 3 quest where player's stats and inventory would not load properly.
    - Bug Fix: Fixed patrol levels where enemies near doorways would not attack and could not be attacked.
    - Enhancement: Added a 25th playable character class, the Dwarf Dragon Hunter
    - Enhancement: Replaced explosive scroll collectables with action point regenerating scrolls instead.
    - Enhancement: Reduced sensitivity of pinch to zoom and 2 finger rotate camera controls on default settings.
    - Enhancement: Added a "Return to Camp" button at the end of each battle so players can return to the camp rather than play the next quest level.
    - Enhancement: Increased starting health of all playable characters by 4 to lower difficulty in early game.
    - Enhancement: Increased starting gold of a new party to 3000 from 300 to allow purchases at the store earlier.

Here's a preview of the Dwarf Dragon Hunter's sixth ability. He takes some ale mixed with dragon blood and spits it out at his enemies. The concoction ignites into a massive fireball that does huge damage and melts amour ... permanently reducing damage reduction stats of those it hits.

Dwarf Dragon Fire 1 by Rajpreet Dhillon, on Flickr

Dwarf Dragon Fire 2 by Rajpreet Dhillon, on Flickr

Dwarf Dragon Fire 3 by Rajpreet Dhillon, on Flickr

Dwarf Dragon Fire 4 by Rajpreet Dhillon, on Flickr

mr_Necturus likes this.
  8. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

Thanks Songtan ... couldn't have done it without your great kit as a starting point. 3 long years of work ... really happy for it to be out there.

9. zenGarden

zenGarden

The level textures and colors mix too much with characters , it's hard to distinguish characters from level.
    Otherwise good job on the game.

10. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

Hey guys ... just got rated by Touch Arcade. Demon's Rise scored 4 out of 5 stars!!!

I'm really happy ... it's amazing to think what Unity 5 and the Asset Store can allow a couple of people to build in their part time. :)

http://toucharcade.com/2015/09/02/demons-rise-review/

11. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

Also pushed out a patch fix that addresses some bugs and tweaks some things:

Enhancement: Added dynamic shadows on iPhone 5S and newer devices (enable in Options screen).
    Enhancement: Improved touch screen controls.
    Enhancement: Added on-screen zoom & rotate camera control buttons.

Bug Fix: Fixed bug where certain enemies could not be attacked on some levels.
    Bug Fix: Fixed issue where level would not load after quest 5 completion.
    Bug Fix: Fixed issue where patrol levels would be limited to just the golem ambush when quest 5 is completed.

Should be submitting another patch later today that addresses other bugs and fixes things that were asked for by customers.

3dFoin and mr_Necturus like this.
  12. 3dFoin

3dFoin

this game is crazy and fun to play Raj XD just gave you a 5 star :D you should advertise more people are gonna love it

13. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

Thanks guys ... that's awesome of you. Glad you like it.

I'm working on an expansion set of levels that uses your new zombie character. :)

3dFoin likes this.
  14. mr_Necturus

mr_Necturus

I was glad to play it, but have only Androids. ;(

15. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

Never fear ... should be out on Android soon. I'm just fixing some bugs in the iOS version and getting it stable before I port to other platforms.

mr_Necturus likes this.
  16. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

v1.5 update released today fixes all significant bugs and also adds another character to the roster. The High Wizard, who is a powerful but fragile old wizard.

Screen Shot 2015-09-06 at 12.20.48 AM by Rajpreet Dhillon, on Flickr

Also, here is a preview of stuff coming in patch 1.6. New levels to continue the campaign, new divine favours / blessings that can be purchased from the new temple as well as the Ogre Mercenary as a playable character:

Screen Shot 2015-09-30 at 4.20.11 PM by Rajpreet Dhillon, on Flickr

Screen Shot 2015-10-07 at 12.29.59 PM by Rajpreet Dhillon, on Flickr

3dFoin and mr_Necturus like this.
  17. 3dFoin

3dFoin

Gandalf jumped in!!! YAYYYY

18. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

Yep ... most likely in the sequel, your new wizard will find a home too. :)