Search Unity

Defend the Highlands - Released

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Ronald_McScotland, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Ronald_McScotland

Ronald_McScotland

Been working hard getting everything Steam ready, and finally have a beta up. If anyone's interested in beta testing, let me know and I'll send you a key.

2. Haseeb_BSAA

Haseeb_BSAA

This is simply wonderful! No doubt , the visuals and concept of this game is unique and awesome!
    Just one question , what software dis you use to make your human characters? :)

3. Ronald_McScotland

Ronald_McScotland

Thanks man, I used Blender to model the characters, and photoshop to texture.

I also use makehuman a bit in the concept phase because it's easy to play with proportions and get the character's body shape. I then take front and side view screenshots of the makehuman character. I take them into photoshop and use them as a template to draw the character sheets. Then I use those character sheets in blender to model the character from scratch.

Haseeb_BSAA likes this.
  4. Haseeb_BSAA

Haseeb_BSAA

This seems super awesome! I also have MakeHuman but modeling from sketches in blender is a bit too hard for me , I mean I can start modeling a cube on them but I don't know how to get the exact round shape of arms , body and muscles.
    Anyways , I'll be waiting for the next update :D

5. Venryx

Venryx

Very neat. It's cool how much of the work you're doing yourself (both coding and modeling), and it seems to be a good way along. Are you a coder or 3D modeler "by trade", or are you learning them just for this project? (and which one are you more proficient at?)

6. Ronald_McScotland

Ronald_McScotland

Cheers Venryx,

I'd done 3D modelling for a few years before I got into game development, so definitely more proficient with that. I've certainly learnt a lot (and made a lot of mistakes) about coding through making Defend the Highlands, although I'd done a few smaller projects before this one, so it wasn't completely new to me.

7. Ronald_McScotland

Ronald_McScotland

Hi everyone, been away for a while, so thought I'd do a bit of an update about where the game's at. Our "coming soon" steam page is up at http://store.steampowered.com/app/374830/

We've also got 2 gameplay preview videos up by youtubers MrXuiryus and Some Fairlife Milk
    -

-

The official release date is the 31st July, so I'm getting pretty excited :D

Haseeb_BSAA likes this.
  8. ensiferum888

ensiferum888

Congratulations on the near release! I'm definitely buying this game!!

May I ask what software you used to make the video? I've been trying to use OBS and no matter what settings I use the image is always super pixelated or get crappy FPS.

9. Ronald_McScotland

Ronald_McScotland

I used nVidia Shadowplay - it's included free with graphics drivers for recent nVidia cards. Unfortunately, it's not compatible with AMD or older nVidia cards, so if you don't already have it, you're out of luck.

10. Venryx

Venryx

Ensiferum, I would really suggest the screen-recorder program Action!: https://mirillis.com/en/products/action.html

It's one of only two or three programs that captured at the full 60fps for me (one other being fraps, though that one had color issues when I tried it). Also, the custom compression/encoding format it uses by default is really nice in that it gives the same quality as its competitors' while having a much smaller size (I think less than half, in the comparisons I did).

ensiferum888 likes this.
  11. Ronald_McScotland

Ronald_McScotland

12. Venryx

Venryx

Just thought I'd mention that I found your game on Steam a minute ago by accident!

Just curious, but are you planning on starting other game development projects once this one is fully done?

13. Ronald_McScotland

Ronald_McScotland

Hi Venryx,

I'm currently prototyping a co-op platform game, tentatively called "The Psychedelic Adventures of Ronald McScotland and Meredith." I'll probably start a thread soon, once I've got the game concept more solidified in my own mind. It's going to be quite similar to Earthworm Jim 1 & 2 in gameplay and humor (although with slightly more "adult" themes).

14. Ronald_McScotland

Ronald_McScotland

Well, Steam Early Access has been a great journey. We've made a bunch of improvements on the game, and gotten some very nice reviews. Now, the time draws near to transition into full release. Defend the Highlands official release date is now set for the 6th of November, and here we have a new trailer to announce the occasion: